• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aimpoint pro, Trijicon MRO? Eotech?

Usaf197

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
Background this will be on a 7-9” 300 blackout suppressed.

Which would you recommend?

I’ve heard all the horrible things about MROs but not experience with them. I do like how they are smaller footprint. Also don’t know if the reviews are from people with more picky taste than I.

A buddy has a PRO that I’ve used, it’s nice just larger.

I’ve had an XPS2.0 but was replaced it for an LPVO (that rifle was used for slighter longer shots than this build)

if it helps I’ve been fortunate enough to have great eye sight.

You may obtain more response by moving this to the Optics Forum.

That being said, over the years I have had/have all 3 (my Aimpoint is an H-2 Micro though and not the pro). All my use has been fun, hunting, and potential home defense with these….so take that for what it is….someone who has used them for duty may chime in with a lot better info.

First red dot was the MRO. Never had any issues out of mine as far as the scope. Actually ran it on a .300 BO suppressed with subs back in the day as a short range buggy rifle. But as my astigmatism got progressively worse the dot turned into a blurred comet so I let it go. And I cannot really quantify this…..but the design always seemed “delicate” to me….like if I hung it up on the buggy it would not take the beating.

Moved onto the Eotech 2.0. And it has been great on the truck/buggy rifle. The circle dot is crisp and clear, even with my astigmatism, and it draws my eye to the point of aim. Have used it on running pigs with and without the magnifier. Don’t mind the push button control as I only turn it on when I bring it out to shoot. I don’t really worry over beating this one up.

My favorite is the Aimpoint. Well built. Light, super crisp dot, and I like the LONG battery life. Great for an HD scope. Just leave it powered up and ready to go. Small thing, but I also like it includes see through protective lens caps. Nice to keep the dust out and lens protected without having to find an aftermarket solution.

Reactions: Usaf197
I currently run an MRO on a Reptilia mount. Battery life is great, window size is excellent, it’s light and I have no issue going from 0-300 yds just standing and shooting with the 2 MOA dot.

Tried my buddy’s EXPS2 and I REALLY liked the circle and 1 MOA dot but it’s chunky and has less battery life. I could see switching to EXPS but it won’t really make me shoot better, I’ll just be happier while shooting.

Wasn’t a fan of the PRO. I owned one and sold it. Although battery life is excellent, it’s huge and has a tiny field of view.

Last edited:
Reactions: Usaf197
I run Eotech's on all of my SBR gassers these days for a few reasons.

1. Best FOV out there.
  2. Best for use with NV/Nods.
  3. The 65 moa ring makes for leading running pigs/dogs a breeze.
  4. I now have a slight astigmatism and holographic works better for that.

I use to run nothing but Aimpoint T1/T2 and I still have a few on random guns along with the RMR's and Acro's that I have on pistols and PDW's. They are still the most durable and lightest weight RDS out there but they aren't the answer for every scenario like a lot of fanboys like to preach. My 300BLK SBR's have either worn a dedicated thermal optic, an Eotech or a LPVO and the thermal and Eotech got far more use than the LPVO.

Last edited:
I have used both the mro and Eotech daily at work. I prefer the Eotech for two main reasons.

I like the fov and ability to better see what’s going on around me through the Eotech. The second reason is after lasik I have an astigmatism or see clusters with certain light now, the mro shows a terrible apostrophe looking thing for me. The Eotech is much better for my eyes, however that’s more a me problem.

Reactions: tex68w
Sig Romeo 4S. Assembled (I know. Good enough for me) in the US and comes with a perfectly serviceable QD mount for sub $300 shipped if you shop around.

Reactions: Billiam1211
I've got both and like both. My 300blk has the two dot Eotech, while a .22LR and a 556 SBR has the MRO HD.

I like the wide open window of the Eotech, and while the holographic reticle's fuzziness doesn't bother me too much--I know, focus beyond it--I like the crispness of the MROs a bit more.

I like the size-weight-window combo of the MRO, as well as the HD's 2 reticle options.

MRO is ok with passive NV, but the Eotech is better

The Eotech seems less picky about magnifiers.

Regarding the MRO's parallax issues... Ive not personally tested it, so my rabbit hole decent into the web means YMMV, but suggests that the HD, albeit more expensive, either fixed the issue or greatly reduced it. But I have also read, that the larger window size of the MRO compared to the T/H2 exacerbates the issue (ie, the Aimpoint's small window won't let you see the dot at the point where its parallax would be bad).

There are a lot of reviews and comments about the MRO's parallax issue, but relatively less on the HD version.

I've got both and like both. My 300blk has the two dot Eotech, while a .22LR and a 556 SBR has the MRO HD.

I like the wide open window of the Eotech, and while the holographic reticle's fuzziness doesn't bother me too much--I know, focus beyond it--I like the crispness of the MROs a bit more.

I like the size-weight-window combo of the MRO, as well as the HD's 2 reticle options.

MRO is ok with passive NV, but the Eotech is better

The Eotech seems less picky about magnifiers.

Regarding the MRO's parallax issues... Ive not personally tested it, so my rabbit hole decent into the web means YMMV, but suggests that the HD, albeit more expensive, either fixed the issue or greatly reduced it. But I have also read, that the larger window size of the MRO compared to the T/H2 exacerbates the issue (ie, the Aimpoint's small window won't let you see the dot at the point where its parallax would be bad).

There are a lot of reviews and comments about the MRO's parallax issue, but relatively less on the HD version.
Exactly this. If the aimpoint window was bigger it would have more parallax as well. Not saying the mro couldn't be better but it's not apples to apples. I want to like the mro, but my astigmatism prevents that. Its lighter, sleeker, and a larger window than the aimpoint. The aimpoint pro is a hog compared to the mro, but my eyes agree with it more. That being said I will still take an eotech over both everyday of the week.

I run Eotech's for the reasons I mentioned above but I've come to like the appearance of them on a rifle as well. The MRO has always looked like a periscope popping out from the top rail to me.

MRO HD doesn’t have the parallax issues and the later production standard MRO’s fixed the other issues. MRO HD’s are legit and is my favorite red dot.

I like Eotechs too, only ever had one have the battery issue and it was an old one and Eotech replaced it even though it was long out of warranty.

I can’t stand Aimpoints, their dot looks like a / to me and no I don’t have an astigmatism even though they and their fanboys say I do. Eye Dr’s say I don’t and it doesn’t happen with any other RDS. I’ve also had some negative warranty experiences with them whereas Trijicon and Eotech have both been great in that regard and fixed things outside of warranty so I wouldn’t buy any more aim points for several reasons.

Reactions: Billiam1211
Like OP, I'm not military/LEO, just an enthusiast that likes to shoot. I own multiple AR's (mostly SBR's) and I shoot primarily suppressed. Probably put 4-5000 rounds through my AR's a year - the vast majority shooting offhand and doing various drills.

I personally like both MRO's and Eotechs and am probably a hair faster with the Eotech. I can't dispute that the MRO's (at least the non-HD ones) do have significant parallax, while the Eotechs have virtually no parallax. But honestly, it's never been an issue for me. I guess I shoot enough that even when shooting from awkward positions or under time pressure I still get a pretty consistent cheek weld and tend to naturally center the dot, so parallax is a non-issue.

And as someone who also has an astigmatism, for me, both Eotechs and MRO's seem to have pretty crisp dot. Only real gripe I have with the MRO (and I've never seen anyone else complain about this) is that I wish there had more intensity settings. I like to run by dot pretty dim, since this helps keep it even crisper. With MRO's the dot is either too dim on setting 3, and too bright on setting 4 - this is in bright daylight. Eotech's have a lot more adjustment. But honestly, I've never seen anyone else complain about this.

So if it were me, I'd go with MRO if you care about battery life/want to keep it on all the time, Eotech for everything else.

I am an Aimpoint guy and that being said, how about the kinda new Aimpoint Duty. Its $499 and is basically a T or H version that "may" not be quite as good. That would be my choice if I could stretch the budget a bit. Otherwise a Pro is great too.

I have only shot an MRO and Eotech with limited experience but everyone knows Eotech has survived the test off time in hard duty use. At least thats my limited understanding.

PB

I run Eotech's for the reasons I mentioned above but I've come to like the appearance of them on a rifle as well. The MRO has always looked like a periscope popping out from the top rail to me.
This would be a novel AR paint scheme... rifle length as SSBN, SBR as SSN... I digress.

I agree that the MRO's intensity increments aren't as use friendly.

The HD does manage to pack a lot into its one setting's dial.

Dont listen to autists.

With that being said the MRO has a bunch of drawbacks and at one time I owned like 8 of them. I now own zero. I would never recommend one.

For a pure speed/cqb style gun, the Eotech is king. Followed by a Aimpoint Pro / Duty RDS. If aimpoint makes it, its going to be something you can take to hell and back. Hard to go wrong with either. EXPS is the only eotech worth buying if thats the route you take.

Another option could be the Vortex AMG UH1. I bought one last summer and I'm really digging it.

I switched from all Aimpoints to Eotech EXPS 3-0 on all of my SBR’s. Reticle is awesome and is much clearer for my eyes. I picked up a G33 magnifier as well and can swap that around as needed if stretching out distances.

A couple months ago several retailers were selling the EXPS for $535 so snatched them up at that price. I don’t run any risers or anything. I like them at the standard height the included mount is at.

I have been a aimpoint guy for 20+years. My son got a Eotech last year and that will be on my next sbr AR and probably replace my aimpoints at some point. Much easier for my old eyes.

I can’t stand looking behind an MRO … it is odd and the parallax just kind of sucks too. I’d take a Holosun over a MRO … every MRO I have tried left a lot to be desired. Great concepts … mediocre execution.

AP PRO is great if you can deal with the 1/3n battery … make sure you get a PRO that has the new low profile caps as they received an LED and lense upgrade.

EOtech has been one of my favorites. Make sure you get new logo EOtech and not legacy as the new logo ones have corrected their issues from the past.

However after some use … I really enjoy Mepro TruDot RDS dots. They are like an EOtech but with an AP dot with AA battery and auto shut off. It’s what the IDF gets issued. They have become my go to dots. Gives me the best of both worlds. Super reliable dot. Has yet to fail me in years.

Another dot to look at is the Vortex UH1 and LP-1 Promethean.

I had an eotech and had to send it back twice because the glass would delaminate . I got a refund and bought an aim point pro . I have never had an issue with it . Mine stay's turned on 24/7 and lives on my out the door carbine for what the hell is trying to eat my barnyard animals . every body has their favorite and it's nice we have a variety of optic's to choose from .

• Wow
Reactions: Milf Dots
I had an eotech and had to send it back twice because the glass would delaminate . I got a refund and bought an aim point pro . I have never had an issue with it . Mine stay's turned on 24/7 and lives on my out the door carbine for what the hell is trying to eat my barnyard animals . every body has their favorite and it's nice we have a variety of optic's to choose from .
Yeah those issues were remedied by the redesign … anything with the new logo has the upgrades.

But yes. They had delamination issues in the past.

Yeah those issues were remedied by the redesign … anything with the new logo has the upgrades.

But yes. They had delamination issues in the past.
LOL yeah I fixed that issue . Mine was the 300 blackout reticle . it was ok when it worked and I am not gonna be one of those guy's who scream they are garbage . I can't complain about their customer service they were very timely on repair and return . So nothing derogatory toward eotech , it just left enough doubt in my mind that I moved on .