• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Air voids in case for reloading longer OAL??

Dshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
West side, MI
I am reloading for 22-250 and a 308. I started seating the bullet longer to get about .020 off the lands. While trying new powder and loading up slowly, there is obviously air pocket in the case now. Will this kill accuracy or consistency? Thanks for any advice as I'm new to reloading custom loads. (Always used book specs and book OAL)

I am reloading for 22-250 and a 308. I started seating the bullet longer to get about .020 off the lands. While trying new powder and loading up slowly, there is obviously air pocket in the case now. Will this kill accuracy or consistency? Thanks for any advice as I'm new to reloading custom loads. (Always used book specs and book OAL)

No and no. Compressed loads are a large minority among all loads.

Generally speaking, medium to large rifle case capacity air space in the case is not an issue ( you need to experiment to determine best load for you ). Most rifle powders have a slow enough burn rate to not be critical of this. However, pistol cartridges are another matter. Some magnum powders are unsafe in a reduced load; ie; W296, H110, 4227,etc. are examples. Some of this category need to be about 90% or better of case capacity. years ago I tried reduced loads in magnum pistol and was getting delayed discharges, not safe!

Input is much appreciated guys, thanks. It was mainly of concern with the 22-250 because you can seat them as long as you want it seems and still be a sufficient jump to lands. I'm using h380 and with max load you can shake the case and sounds about half empty...lol. Thanks again gents