• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Airliner Crabbing at Myrtle Beach

Tucker301

Groundskeeper
Banned !
Feb 13, 2015
Southern VA
Fuck that!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ltODehRRi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know pilots today are pretty damn good, and supporting avionics are even better, but I would be fucking pissed if I was on an airline and they found it acceptable to attempt to land in those types of conditions. I've been on some pretty hairy flights in uniform and otherwise and that's to be expected, goes with the job, but when I fly ComAir I expect them to err on the side of passenger safety every time. I guess that's what you get for going cheap and flying with Allegiant...

I took the "Vomit Comet" from Denver, CO to Montrose a few times.
We hit Montrose in a wicked wind storm one day and I saw a wing tip miss the tarmac by maybe 3 feet as the little plane tipped to a crosswind just before landing.
The guy in front of me commented, "Nice landing" in a sarcastic to the pilots as we wobbled off the plane.
His response, "Anything you can walk away from."

Sweet Baby Jesus. Please, please tell me that plane is not loaded with passengers. WTF? :mad:

That Bird should not be in the air. Period.

As Tucker put it, fuck That, Charlotte is on 30 minutes away.

"Please, please tell me that plane is not loaded with passengers. WTF"? :mad:

Probably just full of cargo...I heard a lot of people just shipped their pants. Bah-dump-bah!

Attachments

• photo71521.jpg
    photo71521.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 16
My dad had a little Citabria when I was a kid. Grew up flying in that kind of shit. Not much bothers me when flying. However, I do agree that if the flight is commercial, there's no reason to go there when there are other, much better options available.

My dad had a little Citabria when I was a kid. Grew up flying in that kind of shit (edit; certainly not as bad as that, but sporty none the less). Not much bothers me when flying. However, I do agree that if the flight is commercial, there's no reason to go there when there are other, much better options available.

I have landed at Lindbergh in San Diego looking down the runway before. Came in hauling ass, sideways, soon as all the wheels were on the ground it was full reverse thrusters and full brakes. Walking out, the pilot was there at the front. I asked Navy pilot?, he said yes sir!

I love E ticket rides the most. That shit does not phase me

Was on a flight 20 years ago going into Lansing Michigan. A turbo prop that held maybe 50 people. Small enough that the 6 passangers were spread around the cabin for weight distribution. Single isle, with single seat on each side if i remember. Maybe 1 on oneside 2 on other.

Anyway well before 9-11 and the cockpit door was open. You could look down the isle and see out the front window.

Raining like a banshee. On final approach mile or so out. Runway lined up and then all of a sudden the plan lurches and gets pushed to the side. 100, 200ft i dont know but runway was not visible anymore. Plane leans to the left and pilot lines her back up, now much closer. Again it happens and he brings her back. I am thinking abort abort damn. But not this guy about 1/4 mile out it happens again. I am thinking well i am with my family so fuck it. He brings her back in line and when the runway gets back into view we can't be more than 50 yards away. Touchdown, full brakes. Done.

I am here 20 years later, that is all i got to say.

As someone used to tell me " i will let you know when it is time to panic, now aint it". I have never been fearful on a plane since.

All aircraft I have flown have a published crosswind limitation for both take off and landing. This limitation was "demonstrated" to be safe during the certification process. Exceed and choose to proceed during a high crosswind situation can produce what we call "resume generating events". In this particular event, this gentleman chose to "take a look" as we like to call it. The plan is discussed in detail, you give it a good college try, and if you run out of control movement i.e. his foot is stuck on the floor without the ability to correct the crab angle further, you execute a go around, more than likely to an alternate airport that has a runway aligned with the surface winds that is more favorable.

Its important to remember that the guys up front feel obligated to get a paying passenger to their final destination safely. They want to go home every night too. The flip side is, put that same paying passenger in an uncomfortable situation, and they will not be a return customer. Put them at an alternate destination, that paying passenger is upset as well. At times, you feel like you can't win.

My my goal everyday is to provide a flawless, comfortable ride. Mother Nature has her plan, and it's my job to out smart her.

I love E ticket rides the most. That shit does not phase me

+1

Having a private pilot ticket (and having found the crosswind landing limits of a Beech Bonanza once or twice) it bothers me even less. I guess it's scary when you don't understand WTF is going on.

More examples of fine airmanship, this time from Dusseldorf, Germany

[video=youtube_share;la-hSjKP2TU]https://youtu.be/la-hSjKP2TU[/video]

Last edited:
All aircraft I have flown have a published crosswind limitation for both take off and landing. This limitation was "demonstrated" to be safe during the certification process. Exceed and choose to proceed during a high crosswind situation can produce what we call "resume generating events". In this particular event, this gentleman chose to "take a look" as we like to call it. The plan is discussed in detail, you give it a good college try, and if you run out of control movement i.e. his foot is stuck on the floor without the ability to correct the crab angle further, you execute a go around, more than likely to an alternate airport that has a runway aligned with the surface winds that is more favorable.

Its important to remember that the guys up front feel obligated to get a paying passenger to their final destination safely. They want to go home every night too. The flip side is, put that same paying passenger in an uncomfortable situation, and they will not be a return customer. Put them at an alternate destination, that paying passenger is upset as well. At times, you feel like you can't win.

My my goal everyday is to provide a flawless, comfortable ride. Mother Nature has her plan, and it's my job to out smart her.

After my little story I came to the conclusion I am not in charge so sit back and relax. Baring some underwear bomber i have to kick the shit out of I have no worries. I try and only stress about shit I can do something about. Once I step on that plane my control is down to peanuts or pretzels.

Get me on the ground without fire suppression required and we are still friends.

Few things make someone look as foolish as second-guessing someone else who is doing something that you don't know how to do.

I'm not sure I understand how so many think that's an OK thing to do.

The wind blows like that every day in Lubbock Texas. Who ever is designing landing gear for planes landing there must be taking ques from the designers of the casters on IKEA shopping carts (all 4 wheels swivel)...

Well, things change. Didn't use to be wary of heights or Aircraft rides. Am now. Don't like getting bounced around in the Air anymore. I've got plenty of Cat Shots and Carrier Traps under my belt along with SH-3 Sea Kings and CH-46 rides. Couple flights into Hong Kong that left my stomach in the overhead compartment. Use to be kinda a kick in the ass, but like I said, things change. If something makes me uncomfortable I avoid it. ;) Hell, just a normal uneventful flight from Portland/Seattle to Narita drives me up the wall anymore. Oh I'll do it, but ya better keep the drink cart close. :p

As the years pile on, getting beat up in turbulence just flat pisses me off. Passengers hate it, and I hate it more.

My tip of the day. PLEASE keep your belt tight. There is a lot of "stretch" in the human body. We are belted in uncomfortably tight with a 5 point harness and I have lost track of the times my head has hit the ceiling. If your belt is buckled to satisfy the prying eyes of the flight attendant, but not tight, you're going to crack your noggin on the overhead and possibly a rib on the armrest on the way back down.

Thanks for the cockpit perspective. I'm always fascinated with flight and was my childhood "what I want to do when I grow up" dream (along with astronaut), but my poor eyesight always kept me from pursuing it when younger. I know, it's funny I just became a Scout Sniper instead. But I digress...

I get the "take a look" pass and commend the pilots on both making the attempt as well as calling for the abort, and don't think I'm being critical of the pilots for wanting to get the passengers to their destination. Quick look at the online listed weather conditions at approach were ballpark E 24kt (G 40kt), but 18/24kt prior to takeoff, visibility deteriorating from 5 to 1 mile while enroute. Runway is 36/18 orientation so pretty much full value crosswind, at least has a massive runway at 9500ft to the point it was a launch abort landing strip for the Shuttle. A320 class looks to be rated at 35kt max, 20kt autoland, 15kt w/vis <4000. So obviously towards the edge but in the green at takeoff, although forecasted to worsen and that's my biggest criticism. The weather was known to be getting much worse, yet the flight proceeded as scheduled. Just seems like that was not the best call, in my layman's understanding anyhow, but I concede this stuff is way over my head as I've never done anything beyond Flight Simulator on a PC. Just smells a lot like a corporate push for a flight to go through rather than losing money on the cancellation, and the pilots didn't have enough facts backing an argument to cancel. Pure speculation, but there's smoke there.

Probably a lot of my opinion goes into my own experiences flying. I do enough dangerous shit working as it is, and the last thing I want on the way home is another adrenaline dump, and I've had a few flying the international flights on shadier airlines because USG/DoS wanted to save a few bucks and we were "only contractors". Ariana and KamAir are the worst, literally fucking chickens in the cabin on a couple flights I've done. I've been on enough cancelled flights and slept on concourse floors to easily be a disgruntled customer with the "I'm never flying Xxxxxx Airlines again" attitude, but every time I'm just the patient guy waiting in the three-plus hour rebooking line thankful they made the no-go call versus risking it. I've been lucky to have never been diverted, I can only imagine how shitty that would be as I would much rather have another day at my starting point than get stuck in a totally different city.

For the other commenters...
Yeah, I back seat fly just like I backseat drive with a shitty taxi driver or security team, because if I go down young I hope it's going to be something cool, not an avoidable accident.

Last edited:
"Just another day at the office"

Obviously winds were gusty; I wonder if they got a windshear warning and that is what precipitated the go-around or if the PF simply said "To hell with this" and TOGA'd.

"Just another day at the office"

Obviously winds were gusty; I wonder if they got a windshear warning and that is what precipitated the go-around or if the PF simply said "To hell with this" and TOGA'd.

Could have been either. Or, he had his foot bouncing off the forward bulkhead/pressure vessel ;)