• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision airport x-ray and my NV & thermal equip?

the impactzone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2011
texas
going to NM at the end of the month, limited bags do to the cost of extra bags, was going carry all my NV & thermal optics in one bag and carry it on, do I dare let it go through the x-ray machine or be safe and just , and tell them to hand search it and DO NOT TAKE MY LENS COVER OFF AND LOOK OUT THE WINDO!. I may get an extra look as I will be wearing 3 pairs of underwear, socks, pants and shirts with the cammo on on top of course LOL

Re: airport x-ray and my NV & thermal equip?

I wouldn't trust the TSA to do anything except deliberately try to break your stuff. Texas to NM - hit the road and drive.

Hey P,

We travel an awful lot with our NODS as carry-on. X-Ray will do not harm your NODS, but be sure to take the batteries out and declare to TSA if they announce a bag check that you have expensive optics in the bag and to handle with extreme care.

Vic

P.S., I've only had one bag check so far while carrying NODS and the TSA guy took my PVS-27 out of my bag and held it up like the Stanley Cup and asked me what this was for? After the gasp of several passengers in line(geez), I simply gave him my standard answer, (as I do when they ask me what my surefire E1 flashlight is for), "to see in the dark.".
wink.gif

Reactions: Aftermath

You've must have better travel kharma than I. I found that the more you act like something is special or fragile the more they go out of their way to treat it poorly.

It is good to know that the X-Ray won't harm NODS.

how about my FlIR or Ratheon thermals?

I was going to tell them I'm a photog guy for PETA and i need to see the crulity to animals at night, first hand that is

I simply gave him my standard answer, (as I do when they ask me what my surefire E1 flashlight is for), "to see in the dark.".
wink.gif

Classic!!!