• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AK or a Howa....at a crossroads.

dirty_drew

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
So I'm looking at buying my first centerfire this summer, and am at a conundrum at what to get. With my piss poor college budget I can only afford one rifle around the $500-700 range. I will mostly be using it as a coyote rifle as well as lots of plinking. I'm looking at either getting an AK in 7.62 or 5.45 or a Howa 1500 .243.

I like the Howa and love the .243, but ammo isnt as affordable.

I really like the Saiga and Arsenal AKs, but I'm leary of the accuracy of the 7.62 and 5.45 out to the 300-400 yard range. Plus with the AK is that it fits my fun and money budget well, but I'm not quite sure if it fills my yote hunting niche.

Any advice?

Re: AK or a Howa....at a crossroads.

for $500-$700 you could get a S&W M&P Sport in 5.56mm/.223 which would give you a multitude of options for accessories down the line, affordable ammo, and is easily in the 300-400 yd range.

If you do go with an AK for whatever reason, I'd go with the 5.45 (personally).

I've heard great things about Howa rifles. Matter of fact.. I recall seeing nice "Ranch" models on gunbroker that were camo, had a hogue stock and came with a scope for pretty cheap..

My Howa is a pretty darn accurate bolt action. I can do less than 1 MOA with "cheap" AE 150 gr ammo. The AK is a much more fun rifle and to be honest, I'd be picking an AK over the Howa.

7acf61f5.jpg

I have a Savage 10FCM Scout 7.62x39. I replaced the Scout scope mounting with conventional bases, and added an inexpensive Tasco 6-24x42 MilDot Varmint/Target scope.

It shoots most commercial ammo well enough to hit a one foot wide gong at 250yd pretty much ten for ten. I mostly feed it TulAmmo 124gr FMJ.

The Savage is a first rate platform that gets the most out of the relatively inexpensive 7.62x39 cartridge.

I think it's within your budget and well worth a closer look. Mine is just a lotta fun to take out to the range, but at just under 40 inches long and just under 7lb, it's also a lightweight and compact package that won't beat you up, and is very much at home in the woods looking for feer.

Tasco makes a 2.5-10 scope in the same configuration as the 6-24 that could be just the ticket for Bambi's bigger cousins. Just respect the cartridge's limitations and keep the shots within 150yd, and you should be golden. BTW, the EastBloc hollowpoint is not so good for deer, try something with a softpoint. I handload the Sierra 125gr Pro-Hunter, and its a lot more suitible. H-4198 should be an ideal powder for such ventures.

Greg