• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

All-around rain gear for PRS shooting

samb300

GCP Rifle Co. Accuracy Obsession Vision Products
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    I live in the midwest (WI), and we have a pretty short match season, April-October. It can be cold and rainy/snowy in April and October, and super hot and humid in the middle of the summer.

Is there any standout waterproof "all around" kit that would do well for PRS shooting when it's rainy while hot OR cold? Obviously in colder weather I'd be layering bases underneath. Biggest thing now with my cheapo rain gear is I don't wear it unless it starts raining, so sometimes I get caught offguard and get soaked. And in summer, I boil when it rains in hot weather. Something breathable is key, and I need knee pads in the pants.

Currently using basic 5.11 pants and a cheap REI rain coat that's lost most of its ability to shed water. Rain pants are $20 shells that I pull over the 5.11 pants, so obviously when it's hot out it's not comfortable at all.

Not sure what's all out there, and what a realistic budget should be since I'm not looking for a super cold-weather shell. I've tried on Arc'Teryx jackets at REI and they fit a bit tight for me (6'00" 210 lbs), and would prefer more room/articulation since these will be used 99% of the time for PRS style matches where you need some shoulder and knee flexibility.

Thanks!

Reactions: Skunkworx
    I live in S. Florida and use Outdoor Research or Arcteryx. I very used same in cold WV and Montana. Get the better jacket, 3 later gore-tex. I've found you can get the lesser pants of budget concerns. I definitely get pit zips to ventilate the heat. Consider size as you'll want to layer insulation underneath in colder weather.

I like the Arcteryx Leaf Alpha stuff. Its spendy, but really well made. I like the pants because you can put them on without taking your shoes off and they have pockets on the outside for a mag/kestrel whatever. hate trying to open up the leg zipper all the way to try and get at cargo pockets on my regular pants.

also, they are very tough. you will be up and down and around barricades, rocks, etc at the match. dont really want something that will tear apart on the first match the first time you kneel down on some gravel or whatever

Reactions: Mike4837
    I got some very nice rain pants from Duluth trading company. My jacket is from Cabelas. It is a softer fabric so you don't have the plastic bag sound when hunting but is still waterproof.

How much are you realistically looking to spend.

Plenty of hunting brands making rain gear that is tough. But it’s expensive.

I’ll also say there is some merit in raingear light enough to always be in your pack, that way you have it when you need it.

Last edited:
    I've never found anything to be truly waterproof short of my Carhartt rubber bibs and jacket. They're made for work so they're as tough as rubber can be (I've yet to put a hole in mine in 5 years using them at work).

I have BDU gore-tex that works great for 4-6 hours. I have been caught in a few rainstorms while fishing, and if the walleye were still biting I kept fishing. I've started using the Carhartt instead of the BDU's because the gore-tex will eventually soak through.

Frog togs are great since they stuff down. They tear way to easy to get any life out of.

And then there is the high end camo options. Most work great, but you're paying a lot for the camo pattern that you're not using. I like SKRE myself.

No matter which way you slice it, you're spending decent $. I go with the gore-tex shell in the summer, and Carhartt rubbers in the cooler months.

Reactions: Shootinsurveyor
    Kuiu is what I use, sam. Good investment.

OR is the best bang for your $, it’s a great company too they really stand behind their products!

You need to decide if the rain gear is 95% in your pack or 95% on your back..

Another KUIU fan here although I have other mountain gear by Arcteryx, Sitka, Helly Hansen, NF etc.. The Direct to consumer model seems to save me 30% on similar ultra light performance gear.

If I know I am going to be in the rain and snow for some time, not drizzle; I Run the KUIU YUKON stuff.. it is super abrasion resistant and a great outer layer. https://www.kuiu.com/waterproof-hun...l?dwvar_50005_color=ViasCamo&cgid=jacket-rain

But for the light unexpected stuff I keep in my pack the predecessor to the packable KUIU Northridge -- I think it was the NX Pro.. For matches this has seemed to be more than adequate..

Reactions: Shadow_Warrior
    i got a killer deal on Browning Hell’s Canyon rain gear. It works pretty good and has some flexibility. I think I paid 60 for top and bottom together at field supply.com. They originally were much more expensive.

Yeah, that's why I included the link. I would hope it's nice, for that price. Wonder how much the pants are.

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I have a bunch of stuff to check out.

Maybe a 100% "do it all" isn't quite possible. It seems more like I should think about
    - 1 set of packable, dedicated rain pants/jacket to keep in my pack for surprise weather
    - 1 set of quality hunting or tactical style pants/jacket that will keep me dry and warm-ish for spring and fall matches.

With the packable kit, the biggest thing is not wanting to be a complete sweat box in summer during hot and humid pop-up storms. I think a better and lighter set of match pants underneath will help with that, as my heavy 5.11 pants are hot as hell in summer even on their own. Something light with insertable knee pads is all I need with those.

With a hunting kit, I'd want it to be comfortable, durable, and water proof enough to wear all day during early and late season weather where it's cold.

Not sure where I will draw the line on budget, but it's definitely less than $800 for a jacket haha!

My two cents:

For hot summer rains there is really no way around getting hot and damp in raingear. All the breathable Gore-Tex stuff relies on there being a temperature differential between your body and the outside air to get your hot steamy sweat to permeate through the membrane - if your body is a similar temperature to the outside air, it's just not going to work very well. For hot summer downpours you're better off just wearing a cheap non-permeable set of raingear and getting it off again as soon as possible. Yeah, you might get a little hot and sweaty, but we're not talking life or death situations here. If you're in a drier climate and just need to ward off passing shower, a lightweight DWR treated shell might do the trick nicely (something like the Tactical Distributors Wind Breaker).

If you're out hunting in cold weather/rain/sleet/snow that's where the higher end Gore-Tex stuff shines. It breathes better because of the temperature differentials and can help evacuate that sweat that will lead to hypothermia once you stop moving around. The Arcteryx LEAF stuff is what I recommend, and you can usually find last years stuff on sale. I bought a brand new set of Arcteryx LEAF Alpha tops and bottoms for about $450 on eBay. The LEAF stuff seems to have more room and freedom of movement than the regular Arcteryx stuff you find at REI. A shooting buddy of mine on here turned me on to Arcteryx stuff, and I'm sold on it now. My cold weather layering system consists of a Naga Hoody for cool weather, Atom hoody for cold temps, and the Alpha hardshell if it get's wet/windy. That combination packs up small, and will keep me warm in below 0* weather, which is saying something since I'm usually pretty cold blooded.

@Luke thanks for the info on Gore-Tex. Good to know the LEAF stuff fits looser, as the regular stuff just fit me too tight, especially if there would be base layers underneath. Maybe I can catch some Black Friday deals, but the LEAF stuff overall looks to be priced a little higher than I'd like to spend at this point. I like how the Alpha jackets look, but I think not having regular hand pockets is a deal breaker for me. So much of shooting matches is standing around and waiting, I'd rather have a place to keep my hands warm!

The Kuiu stuff looks like it may hit the sweet spot of performance vs price. The Chugach set looks really good for dedicated rain gear, and the Guide DCS soft shell looks like it would do well in Spring and Fall.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    Anyone know if Kuiu's "Biggest Sale of the Year" will be surpassed by a better sale on Black Friday? For whatever reason none of the plain solid green pieces I'd like are on sale, mostly just the camo which I don't want/need.

Anyone know if Kuiu's "Biggest Sale of the Year" will be surpassed by a better sale on Black Friday? For whatever reason none of the plain solid green pieces I'd like are on sale, mostly just the camo which I don't want/need.
    i feel like this sale is marginally better than others. which seem to be frequent and random

@samb300 sign up for inner circle (kuiu) and put your birthday as a date coming up soon. They should send you a 20% off a single item for your "birthday"

Reactions: b6graham
    He wanted the green, which isn't currently on sale... By picking an upcoming date he could get one item at 20% off now. The coupon codes do not stack.

I've never found rain gear- real water proof gear- that didn't feel like wearing a suffocating trash bag. When it's hot, I'll just get rained on. When it's cold, it's a trade off between getting rained on and getting hot enough to start sweating. If it's breathable it's not water-proof- it will eventually saturate and soak you. If it's water-proof, it's not breathable. Buy quality stuff, but expect to keep it handy and put it on and take it off as necessary. Heat/sweat management is as important as rain protection when the goal is to stay dry.

Does anyone that uses Kuiu find the sizes run small? Most of the reviews I’m reading say to size up. I’m 6’0” 210# and normally L is perfect for me, other than maybe the sleeves being a bit short since I have long arms. From what I’m reading I should go with XL if I try Kuiu.

Kuiu have a very athletic cut. I order my true size "L" & "34R" (6' 195lbs). The jacket I own (Guide) does not allow for layering, so sizing up does make sense for this item.

Last edited:
    Does anyone that uses Kuiu find the sizes run small? Most of the reviews I’m reading say to size up. I’m 6’0” 210# and normally L is perfect for me, other than maybe the sleeves being a bit short since I have long arms. From what I’m reading I should go with XL if I try Kuiu.

I have some base layer stuff from Kuiu and find it to fit properly at my normal size.

I live in MO and I have two sets of stuff: I bought the Cabelas lightweight packable set for the summer months. I paid about $150 and it is holding up well.
    For fall/ winter I have the Sitka cloudburst set. Worth every penny and very tough.
    Both my sets can cross over to my hunt gear as well.
    Good luck!

Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite all have awesome rain gear. You’re looking at some very expensive clothing though.

I’ve never beaten the ECWCS jacket and pants in price or performance.

I just bought this hood less rain gear and a cold weather waterproof balaclava for motorcycle riding. It comes in large sizes (up to 5X), so all kinds of layers can be worn under it. It’s really heavy, though. I was thinking about using it for PRS matches, fishing, disc golf, etc. Any thoughts about that?

For warmer weather, got the Joe Rocket mesh jacket with zip out liner. The mesh is the rain proof part. The liner is just for warmth. It’s ventilated, but I don’t know if maybe you need to be moving down the road to get that cooling effect.

Last edited:
    Go
    XL

The Yukon rain stuff is sized to fit over gear, but many of the base and mid layers run a bit more for the trimmer person.

Getting the zips and having enough room, helps with the over heating aspect.

Last edited:
    Yikes -- Super loud, very funky fitting and sweat machines..... cheap as dirt though if that stuff doesn't bather you
    It doesn't. Unlike some....I'm just not willing to spend more on some temporary "rain" gear that can and does make you sweat anyway, and generally rips and tears when snagged like some of the more expensive ones that do this as well. I mean it's not like we're standing still or laying in wait to make a shot anyway. ?

Last edited:
    The line for raingear is a tough one to draw.

My all around beater raingear for use in WI is just some outdoor research stuff I got at a decent discount. It’s light enough to always make it in my pack.

Cabelas space rain gear won't break the budget, packs down to approximately 2 soda cans (one for the top, on every for the bottom), is mostly waterproof (more on that later),is billed as breathable (more on that too), is reasonably durable, and is quiet enough to wear while hunting.

That said, if you're standing around in a deluge long enough, you are going to get wet. That selectively permeable membrane that is supposed help the garment breathe will eventually start letting the water in, not just out. And, if your working in cold weather, or doing anything more than standing in hot weather, you're going to be getting wet via sweat from the inside.

They all wear like a trash bag. Pick the brand you like the most.

I should clarify. I have a set of kuiu rain gear that stays in my pack at all times. I have first lite rain gear that I take if i know it's going to rain. Both are great shit.

Lots of good options suggested. OR, Arcteryx, Sitka, Kuiu, Patagonia (although libtarded) are all good brands with great quality and warranty. I would suggest sticking to 3 layer GoreTex. If it's cold, a thin down or synthetic insulating layer turns it into a parka.

If it's raining hard enough and long enough to soak through 3L Goretex, I'm probably just going to seek shelter.

If it is truly hot -- and you're reasonably sure that it's going to stay hot -- and starts to rain, I fall into the "just get wet" camp. Being wet isn't a problem unless it's also cold. Don't be in cotton and you likely won't have any issues. Thin merino wool shirts are very comfortable in hot weather and will insulate you even when soaked if the temps do take a dive. Nylon or very thin soft-shell pants will either dry quickly or still insulate.

Tends to run a bit small and can be frustratingly inconsistent... Jason sources from a multitude of overseas sew-shops and they each seem to have their own sizing conventions. I'm generally a fan, have a handful of Kuiu pieces, hard shell, soft shell, and base, but the inconsistent sizing can tend to drive me nuts. Doesn't seem to be as much of a problem for the skinny guys, but if you're carrying a bit of "tactical padding" it can be an issue (no need to ask how I know... )

Last edited: