• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Alliant Reloader Powder Scarcity

browning442

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2014
Not sure if it's just where I'm unluckily at or not, but i can't seem to find a reliable supply of any reloader powders. Recently built a 22 Creedmoor, and tried H4350 with "OK" results. However, i want to try RL 26, or hell, even RL 17 or 16 but cant find any. Wondering if anyone has had trouble finding the Alliant powders, and if anyone would have any idea why they are out of stock everywhere?

Hoping it comes back a bit before big game season this fall, as my 6-284 and 280 AI both need RL26!

midsouth shooting supply has reloader 16 in 1lb the other 2 are on back order

Thanks for the tips on in stock powders!

If i decide i want to pay the hazmat fee i might bite on those. I can get 17 another place in MT, so i may just go that route.

What charge are you running in your 6-284 with RL26? I have a 6-06 being built and want to use RL26 but am having a hard time finding a place to start.

I don't shoot those calibers just helping out when I can. Just be sure to buy 8lb at a time when you find your powder. Trust me it suck trying to find powder when there a shortage. That why I keep 24 lb of varget for my 308 and 06. Never want run short on supplies.

Reactions: browning442
What charge are you running in your 6-284 with RL26? I have a 6-06 being built and want to use RL26 but am having a hard time finding a place to start.

Elnicko believe 55.3g of RL26, shooting a 90 grain swift scirocco @ 3705 fps. Barrel is 27" douglas 10 twist

Reactions: culater
I don't shoot those calibers just helping out when I can. Just be sure to buy 8lb at a time when you find your powder. Trust me it suck trying to find powder when there a shortage. That why I keep 24 lb of varget for my 308 and 06. Never want run short on supplies.

Most certainly - that i have definitely learned the hard way this time around! Only been loading for about a year and a half but starting to see why people stock up big time once you find your powder, primer, bullet, etc.

Got to learn to try other powders like Hodgons in Retumbo or H1000. That the fun part of reloading knowing you don't have to rely on one favorite powder. I have other powders that will work in my 308 and 06.

I actually have tried quite a few in the 280 AI and 6-284. Reason I like RL26 is it gave me 80-100 fps more in both cartridges than any other powder.

H1000 is great in my fiances 300 win.

for the 280 AI, tried 7828 ssc (decent), H1000 (nothing special) and H4831 (slower but accurate).

Reactions: culater
Alright i actually called Alliant today and spoke with them about the supply of powder. What the guy told me was that they were supposed to receive their shipment last month, however with the government shutdown, the port was also shut down so their powder was essentially held hostage in receiving portage until the shutdown was lifted. Supposedly, they started filling orders last week. Fingers crossed.

Yep that's a good thing. Just have to bring out the CC to stock up on RL 26 in a 8lb keg. That will last awhile for you if it's only for big game hunting and some shooting long range plates.

The math goes like this theirs 56000 grains per 8lb ÷ by the load you want to use, that will get you a very close estimate to how many rounds you'll get per 8lb of powder. Plus having 8lb will keep everything consistent for a long time. When you do buy another 8lb you go back to your notes on how fast your speed node was on the last 8 lb and load the new powder till it matches your speed node of your new 8 lb. Your dope will stay the very same without touching the scope.

No doubt i'll get an 8 lber and it would last me quite a while. Load development is what kills the powder stash...

I've been wanting to find 16 lbs of rl26 for a while now but I haven't seen it in a while.

Now you have an excuse load up and start buy bullets to buy the 1000s and primers by the case. Heck might as well buy a 4lb of pistol powder to. When we had the ammo run a few years ago I was not even think about it.

Reactions: browning442