• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Almost Hi end Scope Reccomendations (900-1500)

Gascan775

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2011
Here's a tough range to be in and one that seems to want to push you down or up the list. I am looking to shoot out to 1000 yard matches and with my somewhat dated peepers I can use the extra mag if I can get it. That said what I have been looking at are as follows:

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50
Trijicon Accupoint TR23 5-20x50
Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50
Sightron SBIII Tactical 10-50x60
Valdada IOR 6-24x50 mp8 (over the limit by $95)
Valdada IOR 4-14x50 mp8 (14? should be enough mag)

What others are there and which of these are NOT a good one to consider. I really just want a scope that is clear and repeats when you crank the turrets. or do I say dam the torpedos and throw another $300 or $400 at which could be more like 450-550 by Feb and by a Nightforce? or ????? Your help and two cents much appreciated!

Re: Almost Hi end Scope Reccomendations (900-1500)

I'm sorry to report that, in my view, Nightforce is the answer. Once you're at four digits, you'd best get exactly what you want. A thousand bucks is a lot of money to waste on a second tier scope.

I will be totally honest, the only experience I have with any of these is the Vortex Viper PST. I own the 6-24x50 and I love it. Great deal for the money.

Second, unless you specifically "need" the FFP, you can get the SFP Viper PST for like $750. All I use mine for is target shooting (with a tiny bit of deer hunting), so FFP isn't a necessity. Unless your targets are at unknown distances I wouldn't think you'd "need" the FFP. In other words, FFP = $150 more than SFP for the Viper PST.

For target shooting I have heard people complain about the thickness of an FFP reticle at high power (but that may be nit-picky). Food for thought if you are on the fence about FFP versus SFP. You could also use the savings to buy more ammo.

Have you considered the IOR 4-16x50 30mm scope? Liberty optics has them for $1600. Just over the limit but worth looking at.

Flyingbullseye

Sightron s3 6-24 or 8-32. They are great. The 10-50 doesn't have enough
internal elevation IMHO. Also with 8-32 you can see great at 1k.

Wow, Great comments, I'm kind of in that camp as well if I'm going to push the upper limits the Nightforce seems to be the one.

I have to say that I have still hold out hope for the vortex PST. I've not had good luck with the standard viper tracking, it could be the recoil from my 300 short mag was working it over but after returning it, explaining what was wrong, and they corrected the paralax (which was off) I still can't track for wind without taking 5 or 6 shots. Moves right fine but won't move left for (*^*%*.

Valdada also on my list but just not a lot of folks to talk to about them. I guess the only one that I had thought was maybe a sleeper and maybe a solid one was the Trijicon but sounds like this is a non-starter for you guys.

The Sightron (you were on the money Thanks!) I did check and the 10x50 will not have enough internal adjustment for 1000 yds, not even close, so that is out. I think your suggestion on the 8x32 is a good one and is still one that is a question if I go toward the lower end. It's always nice to have the extra but I know you don't "need it" if you just follow good practices. Thanks! all if you think of any other suggestions I'm still not set so keep them coming...

Nightforce 5.5-22x50 nsx zero stop, mil mil, hs turrets. 1500 used and it looks brand new, can see up to 2k if you wanted too. Its an amazing scope.

Have you considered a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50? It is a FFP scope, mil-mil adjustments, and has an enahnced mildot reticle with red and green illumination. Midway had them on sale on cyber Monday for $675, a real bargain. So far I really like mine. Glass is very good (Japan). Seems like the scope is really well made; only time will tell.

If you want FFP, look at SWFA SS-HD 5-20x50 and the Bushnell HDMR. Use the search and there are long threads on both.

I'd check out the bushnell hdmr. After seeing all the great reviews I had to pick one up. It was between that and the NF. I opted for the HDMR and I'll tell you why. People have posted here that the glass was on par or better than NF. The turret clicks were on par with NF.

Through NF I get a nice mil discount but the lead time was 20 weeks. Which is quite a long time. However, for approx ~1500 I was getting a SFP, rear focus, 3.5-15, 30mm tube, and zero stop

With the HDMR for 1250 (300 dollar savings and shipped right away) You get FFP (which is what I wanted), 34mm tube, 3.5-21 (much more magnification), side focus, and locking turrets.

I really wanted zero stop but I can do without for 300 less and zero wait. With that savings I can get my seekins rings and base or DBM.

I haven't gotten the scope yet but it should be here wednesday. I'm very excited about it. I was a little sketchy about buying a bushnell costing so much but, after seeing GAP rave about them and design the reticle in house with shooters help. I had to jump on the bandwagon. Just seemed like the best idea with the info I had at the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: billyburl2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51653.aspx
Glass is on par with NF, and IOR. Made by a stand up company, and brand new it is cheaper than a used NF or IOR. </div></div>

I have to disagree, While the SS 5-20 is a fine scope, the NF is a good margin better optically.

Scopes may look similar at the store or at 100-200 yards, but once you get to 800-1000, there is no comparison.

A nightforce NXS is in your price range or slightly above it, but well worth the money.

From your list, I would choose the IOR with the sightron coming in second.

IOR glass is simply amazing and if you get a model with the ten mil turret, there is no real need for zero stop.

If you shoot a flat shooting .260 with 140 gr SMK's, you only need about 10.1 mils elevation to 1000 yards..

Add a 20 moa base to your rifle and you're good to go.

I love my 3-18x42, though it is not perfect. eye box is rather small and limited mounting area.

i have the IOR 6-24x56 FFP MOA-X reticle . it is probably one of the best scope i have had to date.
the reticle is amazing and build quality is outstanding.

IMO the glass is on par with S&B
and i think a bit better than NF

Get the IOR you wont be disappointed.

thank you
joe

For that price range i would suggest a Night Force. Look in the for sale section for a used one. I have seen some great deals on some NF lately. For the price range you are in they are a solid and reliable optic, and great for competing.

I've owned both NF and the SS 5-20. The glass in the SS is better to my eye. The non-illum model is $1300. There will likely be some other mag ranges using the HD glass coming out soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to disagree, While the SS 5-20 is a fine scope, the NF is a good margin better optically.</div></div>
Can I ask what you did to determine that? Quite a few people have compared and come to the opposite conclusion. Are you sure you're not thinking of an old-style fixed power SS?

Another vote for the SS 5 - 20 . Great scope at the pricepoint . As good a glass as my IOR for my eyes , and a little less expensive if you don't need illumination .

Another vote for the SS 5 - 20 . Great scope at the pricepoint . As good a glass as my IOR for my eyes , and a little less expensive if you don't need illumination .

If you have 1500 so spend look around here and wait for a used NF to come up. When they come up for sale buy fast because they don't last long. Lots of good prices in this kind of economy, no reason to buy new when used is just as good!

My choice would be the Bushnell hdmr. I am very happy with mine and plan to get a 2nd.
If i needed illumination I would look for a good price on a Vortex Razor.
There is no question about Nightforce, they are solid scopes,
only pitfall being the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WIshortmag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

The Sightron (you were on the money Thanks!) I did check and the 10x50 will not have enough internal adjustment for 1000 yds, not even close, so that is out. ... </div></div> I wouldn't discount the Sightron because it doesn't have enough adjustment for 1000; many people use a 20moa base as I do for my Nightforces.

There are a couple of Premier's on the Hide right now for around $1500. That's a lot of scope for a reasonable price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stevepod</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WIshortmag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

The Sightron (you were on the money Thanks!) I did check and the 10x50 will not have enough internal adjustment for 1000 yds, not even close, so that is out. ... </div></div> I wouldn't discount the Sightron because it doesn't have enough adjustment for 1000; many people use a 20moa base as I do for my Nightforces. </div></div>

Yes steve i do agree that it does barly have enough adjustment ( with a 20 base you might not be able to get a 100yd zero) I still feel that the 8-32 is the better scope. It has 70moa of internal vs 50, and it is also smaller. The 8-32 is still a very large scope but the 10-50 is freaking huge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have 1500 so spend look around here and wait for a used NF to come up. When they come up for sale buy fast because they don't last long. Lots of good prices in this kind of economy, no reason to buy new when used is just as good! </div></div>

This right here. NightForce optics are popping up in the for sale section on a weekly basis. I purchased my first two NightForce NXS scopes off here with the first being $1500 and the second being $1650. Both of them looked and functioned as if they'd never seen any use.

Here's a good example:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3007591#Post3007591

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have 1500 so spend look around here and wait for a used NF to come up. When they come up for sale buy fast because they don't last long. Lots of good prices in this kind of economy, no reason to buy new when used is just as good! </div></div>

This ^. I found my "used" Nightforce ZS 3.5-15x50 for a few hundred less then retail. Scope was almost brand new, light ring marks but I buffed them out by hand with a Terry cloth. I really like mine. I actually tried a USO first and it wasn't "all that" as I thought it would be, plus Nightforce is a battle proven scope. Nothing against the SS or PST but I wanted a proven platform that could take the abuse.

I'm curious, you had a US optics? Which model?

I had just viewed one in the used section that was out of the price range but had me thinking (well maybe...?) but you didn't have a good experience with yours?

From my limited exposure I had thought US Optics had always been one that were the real top end scopes but just way out of my range.

I'm also curious I have heard anyone through out the idea of a Leupold M4 LR/T. I know that Leupold is not what they used to be but are they that far gone?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have 1500 so spend look around here and wait for a used NF to come up. When they come up for sale buy fast because they don't last long. Lots of good prices in this kind of economy, no reason to buy new when used is just as good! </div></div>

This right here. NightForce optics are popping up in the for sale section on a weekly basis. I purchased my first two NightForce NXS scopes off here with the first being $1500 and the second being $1650. Both of them looked and functioned as if they'd never seen any use.

Here's a good example:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3007591#Post3007591 </div></div>

Seems to me they are being dumped for the SWFA SS, and Vortex PST. Wonder why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northern50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have 1500 so spend look around here and wait for a used NF to come up. When they come up for sale buy fast because they don't last long. Lots of good prices in this kind of economy, no reason to buy new when used is just as good! </div></div>

Here's a good example:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3007591#Post3007591 </div></div>

Seems to me they are being dumped for the SWFA SS, and Vortex PST. Wonder why? </div></div>

That's easy. Some guys feel/think the glass of the aforementioned optics have better clarity than some of what NightForce has to offer. Then, you have guys who will sell their NightForce for $1500 or so, only to purchase one of the two aforementioned optics for $1000-$1200 and have money left in their pocket or simply use that money to purchase a higher priced competitor such as Premier, S&B, etc.

People selling off NightForce hasn't a thing to do with quality but everything to do with wanting to try something different. The same can be said of any of the Premier, USO, or S&B optics that are for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to disagree, While the SS 5-20 is a fine scope, the NF is a good margin better optically.</div></div>
Can I ask what you did to determine that? Quite a few people have compared and come to the opposite conclusion. Are you sure you're not thinking of an old-style fixed power SS? </div></div>

It was a subjective test, but I looked through both scopes at the same magnification at 800 yards. The NF was a F1 model, so perhaps the F1 is better than their 5.5-22.

I have looked through a USO, Nightforce, S&B PMII and SS before I bought my scope, and the NF looked clearest, and had the best resolution at long range. The S&B had a more vibrant image colorwise, but it did not resolve as well to my eye.

The SS 5-20 was noticeably a step below the USO, S&B and NF. In my eyes there was no doubt about it, the image was dimmer, more yellow, and fuzzier.

I suggest you look through the scopes yourself at the range you will be shooting at. I was surprised at how good the NF looked compared to the USO and S&B. The only scope I have seen (in my limited experience) that beats the NF is the Premier.

If the OP can get his hands on some of the scopes he is considering we would gladly send you an SS-HD to compare, side by side.

We've done it, many others have done it and we feel extremely confident as to what your conclusion will be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the OP can get his hands on some of the scopes he is considering we would gladly send you an SS-HD to compare, side by side.

We've done it, many others have done it and we feel extremely confident as to what your conclusion will be. </div></div>

WoW , that is one hell of an offer SWFA is throwing out there for you . Take them up on it and see for yourself .

I got both the SWFA HD and Bushnell 3.5 -21 x 50 Gap reticle HDMR on the recent group buys. Beautiful glass, effective and pleasing reticles, and solid turrets on both scopes. < $1500 FFP, mil/mil. They look and feel great so far, and >$700 less than my NF F1 (which is, of course, awesome). But, $700 buys a lot of bullets. What I love about my three scopes is the generous eye relief. That's as important an attribute as anything to me.

Man I wish you guys would make a 3x15x50mm similar to the 5x20x50mm.

Like the OP, I haven't dealt with most of the scopes he listed as the potentials.

I dealt with Vortex Viper PST 6-25x50 MIL/MIL FFP, and would not hesitate to buy one now. IMHO it offers the best combination of cost, quality, reliability, <span style="text-decoration: underline">and features</span>.

My main scope is Vortex Razor HD, and so far it served me very well. But it's above $1,500.

Re. SWFA SS-HD: looks like a great scope, the only thing I don't like in its specs is the lack of zero-stop. And I'm more partial to reticle designs like Vortex EBR... But it certainly should be in the OP's list of contenders.