• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Alright I am flat stuck!!!

BSPMF3360

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2013
I have watched the hide for a long long time, I have never joined until now.

I have just finished a Rem 700 AAC .308 build, I changed the stock to an HS Precision with the micro cheeck and butt, added a Timmony Trigger, Leopold MK 4 6.5 - 25 x50 LRT, Millett Rings, the only thing I went different than normal was instead of a Harris I went with a Blackhawk Bipod, I am of course using UTG mono. So here is the deal scooters.....

The rifle is about as consistent as a rock being thrown by a two year old. The closest group I have had it fire was 2" @ 25. I build tack drivers all the time, mostly the same furniture, I am feeling like I missed something, maybe to much torque on the stock, not enough? The optic is wicked dead on I checked and re checked it on other weapons.... I could sure use a second or third set of eyes.... I only shoot match grade but have even switched between federal, Winchester, Barnett etc but it's all over the place....

IMHO the members could help you with this but will need more information.
1) Factory barrel or other, twist rate?
2) Stock action or trued?
3) Did you shoot this action/barrel combo prior to installing in the current stock/trigger combination?
I am sure as you answer these questions members will ad comment and also add to the list of questions, the greater the amount of information
supplied the better the ability for them to help you troubleshoot your issues.
Respectfully,
Chet

Ensure barrel is cleaned and not making contact with your stock, check your torque, I torque to action screws to 45 inch lbs, HS recommends 60" lbs.

I like the HSP stocks, but they have a V-Block type bedding block and the rear tang basically hangs out in space. Too much torque on the rear tang will put undue stress on the action and it will go all over the place. Try loosening the rear action screw. I run about 55 in-lb on the front and 35 in-lb on the rear with a stock stock.

Chad Dixon at LRI has a better solution for v-block style chassis; he mills them out for a precision fit so you can apply more torque and not flex the action. I've had two done up this way and it makes a noticeable difference.

I have watched the hide for a long long time, I have never joined until now.

I have just finished a Rem 700 AAC .308 build, I changed the stock to an HS Precision with the micro cheeck and butt, added a Timmony Trigger, Leopold MK 4 6.5 - 25 x50 LRT, Millett Rings, the only thing I went different than normal was instead of a Harris I went with a Blackhawk Bipod, I am of course using UTG mono. So here is the deal scooters.....

The rifle is about as consistent as a rock being thrown by a two year old. The closest group I have had it fire was 2" @ 25. I build tack drivers all the time, mostly the same furniture, I am feeling like I missed something, maybe to much torque on the stock, not enough? The optic is wicked dead on I checked and re checked it on other weapons.... I could sure use a second or third set of eyes.... I only shoot match grade but have even switched between federal, Winchester, Barnett etc but it's all over the place....
2" @ 25 anything is telling me you better look at the scope or mounts......unless that rifle flat rattles when you shake it.

2" @ 25 anything is telling me you better look at the scope or mounts......unless that rifle flat rattles when you shake it.

Yeah- something really isn't right- It's got to be something related to the optics

OP- Does it have a brake? Maybe its striking that?

My AAC-SD was inconsistent but nothing like you are describing. Mine tightened up with Southwest 175's, but it does sound like you have another issue.
Have you tried longer distance? Or a different bipod? Bench or prone? And like everyone else, check, re check torque on everything.

1. confirm nothing is hitting on the way out.
2. swap optics with something that does work. check for looseness at any point, i.e. rings to scope, rings to base, base to receiver.
3. swap cartridges (company)
4. check stock to barreled action and see if there is looseness or touching which may cause POI change.
5. It's your barrel, maybe to a lesser degree, action.

Last edited:
We had a Remington AAC gun come in to the shop with a horrible ding in the crown, from the factory.
Consider having it re-crowned.

Just saying, my son had a 700 AAC-SD 10 twist 308 in a Bell Carson stock and it shot lights out with 168 gr. Amax's. So check out all the opinions the gun can shoot if set up right and a good driver behind it.

Had, only states that it is now a 260 today

Cheers

Rebarrel it with a decent barrel and go from there.

Crown damage is my guess if your glass is good.

My best guess is a problem with the rings or base. What kind of base are you using?

First post for me.

You say you have Millet rings? If that is Angle Loc, look no further.