Alternatives to Criterion?

bfoosh006

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 13, 2007
    PNW
    I have said this plenty of times before... Given the current price of decent match ammo, a better barrel is a bargain.

A shooter could easily waste a hundred dollars of decent ammo trying to get a lesser barrel to shoot to their expectations... and never achieve their desired goal. IMI 77gr 5.56, a "reasonable" match load, ( given current ammo conditions ) is about 92cents a round.
    We all could easily blow through 150rds in one bench session.

IMHO, a better barrel greatly increases the likelihood of shooting to someones expectations.

Sometimes a average barrel can be a heck of a shooter, ... sometimes. I don't like to gamble, so I tend to spend more to put the odds in my favor.
    An extra $100-$150 dollars is well spent money.

A WOA, or a Criterion is a least expensive way to improve your odds of getting a great shooting barrel.

Billiam1211

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Feb 19, 2018
    IL
    Why not consider the Proof steel barrels? I actually just ordered one to replace my 18-inch Ballistic Advantage SPR fluted on my AR. The only reason I'm replacing this barrel is because I'm at 2,500 rounds and accuracy dropped. The BA barrel used to stack 5 shots in about 1/2-3/4 MOA regularly with my reloads, now it's been shooting 1-1.25 MOA and hitting smaller targets at 600+ yards is noticeably harder. The Proof Research 16/18/20 inch barrels are $489 at Mile High or Midway USA. I ordered an 18" Proof with a Rubber City BCG and an SLR agb. Hoping it should be another hammer.

I also picked up a Proof steel barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor for my AR10. Accuracy was stellar, but I had cycling issues so had to have the gunsmith open up the gas port. The accuracy on Proof barrels seems to be quite consistent from what I've seen.

Merle

Mr. Air Force
    Minuteman
    Jan 13, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Wilson Combat has been good for me in 6.8 SPC and 5.56 and they aren't too expensive. I have a fluted 16" intermediate gas barrel that is plenty accurate with my 55gr Hornady FMJ reloads. I haven't shot it for groups but just might the next time I'm out.

Last edited:

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    I have a fluted 16" intermediate gas barrel that is plenty accurate with my 55gr Hornady FMJ reloads. I haven't shot it for groups but just might the next time I'm out.
    🤔

Ulfhednar15

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 19, 2022
    PRNJ
    Have you looked at Satern (the cut rifled barrels, not their Liberty barrel line)? Not sure what their wait times look like right now, but they make very nice barrels. I currently have one of their 18" 6.5 Grendel barrels and every time I take it out I am impressed. It's sub-moa with most decent ammo, and pretty much 1/2 moa with loads it likes. I'm a decent shot (not great) and I have printed a few bug hole 3 shot groups... then I mess them up by pulling a shot.

TapRackBang

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 19, 2014
    I use a Criterion in my service rifle and it shoots very well for me. Even during break in it was printing good groups.

Billy wilkins

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 3, 2019
    I’m shooting a tactical kinetics 18 rifle gas length 1-8 for 3 gun it’s a solid 1.5 with hand loaded Berrys 55 gr and right at 1 inch with 75 grain Hornady 75 gr bt I’m making good hits out to 700 on the clock and it’s right with my white oak spr and Wilson barrel