• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Always ON red dot

NukeMan

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
Illinois
Hey guys looking for suggestions for an always on, ready to go red dot. I don't want to have to fumble with powering something up. I'm in the process of building a dedicated home defense rifle. I've always ran rifle sights, so pretty much 0 experience with red dots. Looking at red dot so the wife or daughters can pick it up and be very proficient with it, and I like the ability it provides for rapid target aquisition. There are quite a few on the market with a huge verience in prices. Not afraid to spend the money if it's justified. I've watched almost every Youtube video I can stomach, now ready for your suggestions. Thanks guys. Wasn't sure where to put this thread. I thought I'd get a better home defense crowd here rather than the optics thread.

So far the Aimpoint T2 seems to be the best on the market. The Trijicon MRO a close second. I wanted to like the Vortex stuff but it seems they all have a auto off function after 6 hours. Leupold Delta Point was sweet but the limited mounts available for it steer me away.

Basically anything made by Aimpoint, just pick whichever one you like best. The Trijicon MRO looks good too. Red dots are great close range optics, you and yours will benefit from them UNLESS y’all’s eyes don’t play well with the dot.

In that case, look at a Trijicon ACOG 1.5x16 or x20, OR a nice 1-x powered optic with a wide FOV.

Reactions: Bradu
Just to support the other recommendations Aimpoint.

Either T1/T2 or maybe the new comp M5s.

I have a PRO that has been on for the past 4 years and still glowing.

To be honest, the Aimpoint is the only choice if you intend to bet your life on it. There are many others that are fantastic for competition and range.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter
Aimpoint t2 here. Every year it gets a new battery. It stays on all the time. I know it says it has a 4 or 5 year battery life, but I only have 1 life. A $5.00 battery every Christmas isn't breaking the bank.
Cheap peace of mind.

Aimpoint PRO if you're on a budget, but I'd wait for a sale by American Defense Manufacturing to get the package with the high mount. I prefer to run a 1/3 height co-witness and the QRP2 mount that comes with the PRO is too low for that (higher than co-witness but under 1/3)- the sale price is equivalent for optic + mount vs. optic with standard QRP2 mount

the window is larger on the PRO, but that also occludes more of my peripheral vision but my wife prefers it

I'd recommend the Aimpoint H2 or H1 over the PRO if budget allows (with a high mount from ADM if possible from their website on a sale). Basically 98% of the T1/T2 optic AND without the night vision capability. Saves some $$ though,

The Aimpoint Micro series (H1/2 or T1/2) are also significantly lighter which might matter to a woman or child.

skip all the Holosun, Primary Arms, Vortex, etc.

Aimpoint H, T, PRO, M are the way to go.

The Trijicon MRO should be a good alternative as well. I've used them but only owned Aimpoints and would stick with Aimpoint.

Not to start a bar room brawl, but I'd also recommend a Larue tall mount LT660 for the Micros. I don't believe the crap spewed about the mechanism damaging rails given that I've been using them for years without issue as have MANY people I've known to use/own them

Would NOT recommend the Larue vertical split rings for rifle scopes at all.

skip the Scalarworks mounts

I am a huge fan of QD for carbine optics (not the same as a long range precision rifle). changing environments quickly (A/C car to hot day), rain, dead batteries... stuff happens and if it happens at the wrong time it's VERY important to be able to remove the optic quickly without tools and use the iron sights which should always be on a defensive rifle. a dropped rifle with cracked lenses on the optic means you can't even look though the optic to use/see your irons

use your red dot sight in the rain and you'll realize how important it is

just as a side note, make sure your rifle is setup in a manner that THEY can use it. where the VFG isn't so far out that they're struggling, where the light is placed that activation is easy for their arm length, physical strength

people ask me why my front sight on my carbine is so close to the middle of the carbine just in front of the receiver instead of closer to the muzzle. well, the light on the top of the rail in front of the front sight would be too far out for my wife or son to reach given my arm length, so I keep the VFG, front sight and light tighter in so anyone can use it with little effort (30 minute fitting for both of them)

yes, it affects my performance with it, but it's primarily intended for "length of hallway" distances and every shooter in the family being able to operate it easily > me operating it better at field distances

yes, they each have their own defensive setups, but having standardization means everyone can use everyone els equipment and is familiar with it

I have a non defense rifle set up for "me"

Reactions: N-C and NukeMan
Aimpoint. I have the Comp M3 and M4 and leave them on, no problem.

we run an aimpoint PRO on my wifes RECCE and its been very, very good. I recently tried a Sig Romeo3 on an SBR, trying to keep everything light/compact. So far, so good. It's doesn't seem as robust as the Leupold Halo type with the steel surround, and doesn't have the ease of dot brightness like the MRO or T2 (I like the wheels more than buttons) but out of the box it worked fine for me and I have astigmatism. Time will tell on the battery. 8 months so far and it can be changed without discounting the unit.

Thanks guys! Got my hands on a bunch of different sights Friday. It's going to come down to either the Aimpoint PRO or Trijicon MRO. Definitely be going through ADM for either one.
And thanks for the advice on setting the rifle up for them to be able to reach all the accessories!

As everyone else has said, Aimpoint is the way to go. I use the comp series for the larger tube. I keep thinking about moving to the micros but worry it will be harder to pick up the dot in non standard shooting positions.

Yup Aimpoint as others said. I didn't like the one MRO I used, the image was clear but shifted so trying to shoot with both eyes open was like having double vision.

For an economical alternative to the Aimpoint T1/H1 series, the Primary Arms MD-ADS or Holosun equivalent work pretty well and also have great battery life so they can be left on all the time. I have a couple and just change the battery once per year.

Hey guys, just an update. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Trijicon MRO. I got it from LaRue though. They had a damn good sale with the QD mount. Thanks guys

Now we’ll see it on sale in the optics section, or trade for an Aimpoint before too long. ?

Hey guys, just an update. I ended up pulling the trigger on the Trijicon MRO. I got it from LaRue though. They had a damn good sale with the QD mount. Thanks guys

Any long term update? Curious to hear what you thought of the Trijicon MRO.

Thanks!

Everyone says Aimpoint and he goes with MRO ?‍♂️

There is a reason Aimpoint is the go to. The MRO is ok but that battery life blows.

Everyone says Aimpoint and he goes with MRO ?‍♂️

There is a reason Aimpoint is the go to. The MRO is ok but that battery life blows.

You may have a reason to say you prefer aimpoint over mro, but battery life can't be it. Both companies official website states five years. Mine has been on for two and a half and it's still going strong.

I guess I was wrong. I haven’t looked at the MRO in a long time but I swear the first ones had a lot less battery life.

I know a buddy bought a T1 and a MRO at the same time and the MRO goes through batteries faster then the T1 for sure.

Maybe the MRO needs a brighter setting then the T1 due to the heavily tinted glass his has.

I guess I was wrong. I haven’t looked at the MRO in a long time but I swear the first ones had a lot less battery life.

I know a buddy bought a T1 and a MRO at the same time and the MRO goes through batteries faster then the T1 for sure.

Maybe the MRO needs a brighter setting then the T1 due to the heavily tinted glass his has.

That's possible. Battery life is stated at a specific setting. So any use outside of that setting may not be equal between the two. I keep mine on the lowest non-night vision setting which is fine for indoor use and visible, but not ideal for outdoor use in most conditions.

MRO also has a lot of parallax shift. T2 doesn't.

Red dot go Aimpoint or nothing. I prefer the full size red dots vs the the minis. The MRO I shot with would jack your eyes up quickly. The fisheye effect was pretty bad. I think the newer MRO optics were supposed to address that.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Y'all must have a different MRO than me, haha. I love mine, but to each his own i guess...

I have an aim point T2 on my SBR I leave it on all the time and just change the battery every other year on my birthday.

My 2 Holosuns and Sig Romeo always work when I want them to. And I don't baby them.

Red dot go Aimpoint or nothing. I prefer the full size red dots vs the the minis. The MRO I shot with would jack your eyes up quickly. The fisheye effect was pretty bad. I think the newer MRO optics were supposed to address that.

The MRO I used two summers ago was terrible about that. Haven't tried a newer one, it pretty much put me off the MRO until I see a compelling reason to try again.

Either ya'lls eyes are super sensitive or mine are so fucked i just can't see. I think the mro has a good sight picture. It's like there isn't even an optic in front of your face. The glass is tinted a little, but i bet almost no one here can actually shoot the difference in a practical situation.

Either ya'lls eyes are super sensitive or mine are so fucked i just can't see. I think the mro has a good sight picture. It's like there isn't even an optic in front of your face. The glass is tinted a little, but i bet almost no one here can actually shoot the difference in a practical situation.

Or, hear me out, maybe there's variation between individual products and your MRO is better than some others?

Or, hear me out, maybe there's variation between individual products and your MRO is better than some others?

Lol. More like variations in eyesight. I bet if you both took pictures and compared them they would be identical.

Lowering the brightness helps.

First time I saw it on my eotech I went to take pictures to send customer support and all the pictures showed a perfectly crisp reticle.

I mean...i guess that's possible, but you would think a company like trijicon would have a consistent product even if they are manufactured by an oem. It seems like everyone here but me has only seen a bad one though. I think what is really going on here is a case of snipershide users recommending the most expensive product available because anything less than that must absolutely be pathetic, haha. I've been hanging out around here for a while now and I'm beginning to sense a pattern of behavior.

Anyway, I'm not even denying that the aimpoint products may be marginally better. I just don't agree with the sentiment that anything less isn't even worth having and will inevitably let you down, and that looking through anything less will be similar to looking through a kaleidoscope.

The first ones where fairly bad. I shoot scoped rifles with both eyes open with no problem but the MRO is something I couldn’t deal with. I describe it as fisheye or tunneling in the worst way. Trijicon supposedly fixed the issue sometime later. Many people feel the same way. Not just us two here.

Has nothing to Do with tinted glass.

I mean...i guess that's possible, but you would think a company like trijicon would have a consistent product even if they are manufactured by an oem. It seems like everyone here but me has only seen a bad one though. I think what is really going on here is a case of snipershide users recommending the most expensive product available because anything less than that must absolutely be pathetic, haha. I've been hanging out around here for a while now and I'm beginning to sense a pattern of behavior.

Anyway, I'm not even denying that the aimpoint products may be marginally better. I just don't agree with the sentiment that anything less isn't even worth having and will inevitably let you down, and that looking through anything less will be similar to looking through a kaleidoscope.
Aim point has the pro model that the MRO competes with. Has nothing to do with price. I am definitely not a optic whore that’s for sure. You may have gotten a later model. You seem defensive. No need to be. If you like your red dot then good.

I have two MRO’s. Both seem to be great. I Have an older aimpoint and have looked through and shot with a number of current models. For me, I can’t tell the difference. The MRO is a little larger and heavier than the mini aim points, but it doesn’t matter to me.

One of mine resides on a 9mm AR next to my bed. It’s been on continuously for about A year now and is going on unchanged. I’ll change the battery on it (and all the smoke detectors) on New Year’s Day.

Aim point has the pro model that the MRO competes with. Has nothing to do with price. I am definitely not a optic whore that’s for sure. You may have gotten a later model. You seem defensive. No need to be. If you like your red dot then good.

I'm not defensive at all. Like i said, aimpoint is probably marginally better/more consistent/proven, etc. I did a lot of research before buying an mro and i heard nothing but good things about it. You guys are literally the first I've seen that claim they had known issues out the gate. Guess i missed that.

There are some on this thread though that act like the mro is a piece of shit and that is simply not true. You can compare it to the aimpoint pro, and that's fair when it comes to price, but the mro is a micro red dot like the t2. To me, that is an apples to apples comparison, and in that comparison, you can't ignore the price difference. To me, the mro is a great value when compared to the t2.

I'm just having a little fun. Remember when seekins, badger, or nightforce rings and mounts were good to go until something more expensive (spuhr) came around? Now if you don't have a spuhr you're scope is going to lose zero every day and might just fall off your gun while crushing your scope tube.

I'm saying what I'm saying about the mro just in case someone comes along who just can't justify aimpoint money. There are good options out there with excellent battery life that are super durable for less money. That is all.

The first ones where fairly bad. I shoot scoped rifles with both eyes open with no problem but the MRO is something I couldn’t deal with. I describe it as fisheye or tunneling in the worst way. Trijicon supposedly fixed the issue sometime later. Many people feel the same way. Not just us two here.

Has nothing to Do with tinted glass.

Yep, I've read of similar MRO issues from a number of other people on other forums as well. My issue with it was a case of overlapping vision when looking through that particular sight, bad enough that I had to close one eye to shoot it accurately.

For me it's not a problem of eyesight; I have excellent vision and zero problems with Aimpoints or cheaper clones like Holosun etc. Based on my experience I would 100% recommend a $200 Holosun over an MRO so it's not about price either.

I also use a bunch of Trijicon's RMR sights on my pistols. I have one RMR that does the same thing as the MRO, while all the rest are fine. There is definitely variation between individual products.

CR Slacker, you are a sample of one, out of many. Don't discount other people's experiences based on your single sample. You may have a good one, other people got bad ones. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I'm not defensive at all. Like i said, aimpoint is probably marginally better/more consistent/proven, etc. I did a lot of research before buying an mro and i heard nothing but good things about it. You guys are literally the first I've seen that claim they had known issues out the gate. Guess i missed that.

There are some on this thread though that act like the mro is a piece of shit and that is simply not true. You can compare it to the aimpoint pro, and that's fair when it comes to price, but the mro is a micro red dot like the t2. To me, that is an apples to apples comparison, and in that comparison, you can't ignore the price difference. To me, the mro is a great value when compared to the t2.

I'm just having a little fun. Remember when seekins, badger, or nightforce rings and mounts were good to go until something more expensive (spuhr) came around? Now if you don't have a spuhr you're scope is going to lose zero every day and might just fall off your gun while crushing your scope tube.

I'm saying what I'm saying about the mro just in case someone comes along who just can't justify aimpoint money. There are good options out there with excellent battery life that are super durable for less money. That is all.
I get with and agree whAt you are saying.

FYI Google “MRO fisheye” and you will get pages of information.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
CR Slacker, you are a sample of one, out of many. Don't discount other people's experiences based on your single sample. You may have a good one, other people got bad ones. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Same to you. I am offering my experience as that is all i can do. Like i said, i totally missed the alleged early problems with the mro even though i did a fair amount of research. I think it's quite possible that a few people had issues and those stories made their way around the internet which gave the appearance of a much larger problem than actually existed. What's the old marketing class example? A bad experience is 10 times more likely to be reported or passed along than a good experience.

Aimpoint has the track record. It's earned. If they had kinks, they've been worked out. MRO is relatively new. Maybe there were kinks. It appears they too have been worked out.

I have a Sig Romeo 4 and have had zero problems with it, wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. They're pretty affordable, too. I have used plenty of Aimpoints over the years and I would rate the Sig as it's equal. I've had it a couple years and the battery hasn't died yet. The new Sig Romeo 5 is only $112 on Amazon right now.

I picked up an aimpoint pro in 2012 or 2013 and am on my 2nd battery. It's on all of the time.