• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I being unreasonable here?

Thats a good idea. For it to have helped in this situation, they would have to cover someone else's package you dropped off.
They absolutely cover it. I have had it for years because of my business, thought it was a bit pricey but has paid for itself more than once.

Reactions: Holliday
Exactly this. These days it's not the money, it's the investment in time. I've got all my parts for my 37XC, but I don't want to ship it. Insurance is (almost) not the point - it's the fact that I'd have to wait a year to get the replacements.

I'd fly the parts there on Southwest, but it's only slightly less risky.

Yes, I'm actually considering a 10 hour (each way) drive to deliver the parts, then again to pick up the rifle.
I have been messing around with Apple air tags. Anything of personal value that, I ship will have one of these attached.

I have also found a simple way to disable the chirping

Pertinent point that shouldn't be buried in the bottom of a long post.

They replaced the barrel without being leveraged with any bad publicity.
Glad they are taking care of you. Good on you for your discretion and for seeking advice.

So I contacted them about undersized threads on barrel, and know the person who ordered the barrel originally and the specifics, and have the sale thread where I bought it also verifiable through the seller. But I am just scammer looking for a free barrel. Interesting take. Seems more likely to me with the verifiable facts available to all parties on this end. That the package was stolen at the facility where I dropped it off.

In my opinion an attitude like yours where the customer is the enemy is exactly how customer service ends up in the dog house.

What is the name of your company? PTG? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I want to make sure I don't order anything from you, but if it's PTG, there are no worries about that. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Sorry, I think you got the wrong idea from my post. If you knew how I run my business you would know that we bend over backwards to serve our customers. But there ARE assholes who try to scam you CONSTANTLY, and that can't just be ignored.

My point was, from the business' perspective, they sent you a label. To look at the product on their dime to determine if they didn't meet quality requirements on an item you didn't buy from them. Yes, that label should have been insured and wasn't, that's on them 1000%. But their liability for the package doesn't begin until that package is shipped. Without proof you used the label and shipped, its not unreasonable for them to be suspicious. But they did continue to work with you to help fix it by filing a claim.

With a receipt in your hand, its a completely different situation. That's all I was saying. I was saying if you have any way to prove UPS took possession of the item, then your case is iron-clad.

Sorry, I think you got the wrong idea from my post. If you knew how I run my business you would know that we bend over backwards to serve our customers. But there ARE assholes who try to scam you CONSTANTLY, and that can't just be ignored.

My point was, from the business' perspective, they sent you a label. To look at the product on their dime to determine if they didn't meet quality requirements on an item you didn't buy from them. Yes, that label should have been insured and wasn't, that's on them 1000%. But their liability for the package doesn't begin until that package is shipped. Without proof you used the label and shipped, its not unreasonable for them to be suspicious. But they did continue to work with you to help fix it by filing a claim.

With a receipt in your hand, its a completely different situation. That's all I was saying. I was saying if you have any way to prove UPS took possession of the item, then your case is iron-clad.
As a business owner, I deal with scammers and entitled jerks too, so I feel you.

@supercorndogs and I had some off-thread PMs. I told him two things.

1. Sometimes ā€œNoā€ is the first answer, to weed out scammers and assholes. It is really up to the customer to make his or her case at that point.
  2. Had UPS or the Barrel Maker disputed that it was ever even sent, I would have sided with the barrel maker.
What has vexed me throughout this thread is that folks have put so much weight on the second point. It seemed clear to me neither UPS, nor the barrel-maker were making this an issue.

In fact, by filing a claim, paying the claim, receiving the funds and then offering the funds to @supercorndogs it seemed clear to me that they had stipulated (for whatever reasons) that the barrel was indeed dropped off.

So with that settled, the problem became not whether @supercorndogs was due anything, it came down to how much. How much was being dictated by the amount UPS paid the barrel-maker because the barrel-maker did not opt to properly insure the package.

Reactions: Namekagon
Pertinent point that shouldn't be buried in the bottom of a long post.

They replaced the barrel without being leveraged with any bad publicity.

Now that we know this is the case, I think it would be reasonable for you to provide us with the name of the maker as they will go on my list of GTG.

You did the right thing by ignoring the "It's on you" posts and pursuing the matter calmly and in a reasonable manner. When you were able to talk to the vendor and provide additional info. that he did not have at hand your next day e-mail from him resolved the problem.

OP,

It my opinion that you fucked yo as soon as you didnā€™t send it back to the seller when they offered to refund you.
However, once the original manufacturer send you a return label they, in my opinion, take ownership of the situation.

Yes. Technically they could be very suspicious of you sending in the wrong barrel and all that, but with the $100 they got back, they could have just kept and sent out a new barrel at a much more minimal cost to them and like someone said above, would have been some good advertising for them. They can even write that shit off as a ā€œdonationā€ if they wanted and be out nothing but a little time.

Shitty situation all the way around. I wish you luck.
That's not how write-offs work....but...sorta

• Haha
Reactions: Darkside-Six
Damn
Thatā€™s kinda BS!
They cheaped out on shipping and hosed you
The extra $$ for insurance is so cheap šŸ˜”
UPS - do you have a tracking number and insist UPS needs to stand up to a lost package - the "damage" is not the issue. They lost it and they must prove delivered or lost and accept value as lost article, not damaged.

Personally, I think youā€™re wasting your time even bothering with the shipping companies in this case. As I see it, your only hope is with the barrel maker. As far as insuring the shipment, on the label, I ship a lot of items and have to admit that once or twice, I have printed out a shipping label in a hurry forgetting to add insurance. It is only by luck that the items made it and I did not have to eat the cost with the buyer. Last thing was a $500 Vortex scope. I prayed the entire time until I saw that it had been delivered. Perhaps you could come to some sort of a split or something with the barrel maker. Just a thought.

1642721310714.jpeg

packages just don't disappear into thin air.
I recently went through an issue with UPS and a complete suspension kit for my truck...

Somehow they had the boxes, but the contents were missing...

We are talking about a pair of coilover springs with each one being the size of a teenager.

Somehow tore cardboard and poof they couldn't be found...

Ended up talking to someone later that said the specific shipper had lost thousands of dollars worth of suspension parts and they all went missing at the same point in shipping...

That is UPS and Fedex standard reply all the time...improper packaging!

I had UPS come in here for a claim on a lost barrel. We got the package back but it was empty. Two suits come in here and tell is it wasn't packaged properly. I blew a gasket! Tracy was actually the calm one this time. Asked me to calm down and asked me to go package up a solid piece of steel like we normally do (weighed 11# just on the steel).

Tracy, says to the guys....improperly packaged huh? He leaned back and wailed/thru that package against the concrete wall 20' away. Steel didn't come out! He stepped back again a 2nd time and thru it against the wall. Again it didn't come out! He said to the guys...so what is improper about the packaging? They couldn't get out of the building fast enough! They paid that claim!

Had UPS back in 2020 actually break a customers rifle stock that we shipped his complete rifle back to him. We get the whole thing back and you could actually see fork truck tire marks going over the cardboard box (rifle was shipped inside a hard case as well). Never got UPS to pay anything towards it. We ate the whole thing. Ordered the guy a new stock etc...and had to replace the damaged barrel as well.

They (the shippers) are flat out evil to deal with!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
This has gotta be one of the best responses Ive ever read here. I dont own any Bartlein barrels yet but I certainly will be buying one in the future.