• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Am I hallucinating or did the "Vertically split rings" thread disappear?

Frank is a Marine.
Having been friends for years with an old Marine from the 1/9 from 67-69, its an amazement to me that there are Marines that can get a sentence out with just 1 F bomb in it.

carry on gentleman, thanks for the laughs!

We prefer to call them "horizontally split" vaginas. Vertically split vaginas have been proven to cause issues with POI upon discharge of projectile.

I've totally proven this firsthand as my wife is asian.

It's hilarious though that when I met her best friend from college (who is asian) and the friend's husband (who is white) for the first time him and I basically had the exact same set of asian related jokes that we tormented our wives with.

I've totally proven this firsthand as my wife is asian.

It's hilarious though that when I met her best friend from college (who is asian) and the friend's husband (who is white) for the first time him and I basically had the exact same set of asian related jokes that we tormented our wives with.

Well add me as the third. Lucky for her she has plenty of ammunition on me as well.

As Frank so subtly told you, the OP of that thread deleted it because a SB fan took it as a personal insult that someone would post anything negative about SB, and he attacked the OP with groundless accusations. The OP deleted it, then RE-STARTED it to get rid of the mudslinging and just keep it purely factual/informational. If you look, it is still there. I know this because, a) The OP sent me a PM to inform me of it because I had posted in his thread that one of my SBs was affected the same as his and, b) In the new thread the OP plainly states that he deleted and replaced the old thread for the reasons aforementioned.

Somebody textually attacked a fellow member? And then the victim deleted his thread out of disgust? No fucking way. I double triple dare the OP to delete this childish thread, lol. If it was me I would delete every thread with dumbasses that don't have clue, which would basically be every thread. A bunch of 100 yard experts with nothing better to accomplish. I'm getting sick of these idiots and we need to open the gate and let 'Nobody' into the ring to fucking drive these morons to RUNOFT. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: -=boone=-
This thread has indeed highlighted the true power of the internet and the usefulness of the internet forum in 2017. I'd commend everyone to read it as a compulsory first text!

Maybe I need to take the power to delete your own threads away, as clearly this is what caused the confusion.

The original poster of the "Vertically Split Rings" thread, asked two questions, one specifically was, "how were SMOA and TMOA different" by way of disbelief. Then he asked for more information about Vertically Split rings and how they can cause an issue. Both were answered, but he did not like those answers, so he personally deleted his thread, on his own, after 2 full pages of discussion on the subject. He didn't like it, so he deleted it.

Same thing with the S&B thread, someone crapped on the original post, the original poster, deleted it, and restarted a new thread. Again, to which I was blamed.

In correcting this clearly bad information, more butt hurt followed. By my reasoning as the owner of the site, I see giving the members of this forum the ability to manage their own topics as potentially a bad thing. If you want to cry foul and blame the admin of the site, I would suggest you be real sure of your facts before hand.

So if I control it, you can't delete something and blame me, if something is deleted you'll know it is me.

It may even cut down on meaningless threads being started. That guy that started the vertical thread was a nice disguised trolling attempt. People shouldn't start a thread with a question if they think they know the answer. Rather, they should start a thread by making a statement. And so what if a thread is deleted. It was obviously sent into outer space and who fucking cares.

lmfao You obviously brought it upon yourself. Being a Dallas fan doesn't help. ;) The HMFIC here is know for great patience. If he loses it with ya and starts talking potty mouth, that's on you. Now how bouts a bit more entertainment while ya mosey towards the door.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/media.giphy.com\/media\/jdrgQXu2qdL1e\/giphy.gif"}[/IMG2][IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/static.fjcdn.com\/gifs\/Bugs_3388c3_1068446.gif"}[/IMG2]

I had nothing to do with the split ring thread nor bringing anything on myself. I was a concerned onlooker when the HMFIC went off on someone. Nobody lost it with me I just made a comment. Guess I dont spend much time here anymore as my post was over a year ago. Sorry but no more entertainment for you

8/18/2017... 9/5/2018... Nice Necro... contributed exactly what to the collective?

Reactions: TheMammoth
I like this place... there are some good people but there's definatly a lot of politics and some culture that I just dont quite get. And I dont really care to, i will say it's easier to spot the trolls on facebook. I'm sure I've said stupid things on here but I'm fine with being a fool if another fool can learn from it! I dont personally care if you (Frank) take away the ability to delet posts but I'll probably call you Zuckerberg behind your back.

Anyway, Now I'm off to learn what HMFIC means. Keep up the good work admins!

I had nothing to do with the split ring thread nor bringing anything on myself. I was a concerned onlooker when the HMFIC went off on someone. Nobody lost it with me I just made a comment. Guess I dont spend much time here anymore as my post was over a year ago. Sorry but no more entertainment for you

Ahem........fuck.

That is all.

I like this place... there are some good people but there's definatly a lot of politics and some culture that I just dont quite get. And I dont really care to, i will say it's easier to spot the trolls on facebook. I'm sure I've said stupid things on here but I'm fine with being a fool if another fool can learn from it! I dont personally care if you (Frank) take away the ability to delet posts but I'll probably call you Zuckerberg behind your back.

Anyway, Now I'm off to learn what HMFIC means. Keep up the good work admins!

You'll find the answer to be pretty easy to come by. See also "HMFWIC";

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=HMFWIC ;):cool:

actually i'm very interested in this topic since i was warned by someone on a thread i started a few days ago to difinately not use verticle rings. I'm one of those people that does a lot of research on what i feel is an important item before purchasing it. One of the ways i do that, is go to sites that sell the item in question specially ones that allow feedback. That being said , upon searching yesterday, it seems they run about a 90% approval rate from what i've been able to gather. And this is from "hundreds" of feedback. So i'm guessing the person advising against them had a bad experience. I wouldn't mind reading the article if it consist of some "educated" information. Thanks

actually i'm very interested in this topic since i was warned by someone on a thread i started a few days ago to difinately not use verticle rings. I'm one of those people that does a lot of research on what i feel is an important item before purchasing it. One of the ways i do that, is go to sites that sell the item in question specially ones that allow feedback. That being said , upon searching yesterday, it seems they run about a 90% approval rate from what i've been able to gather. And this is from "hundreds" of feedback. So i'm guessing the person advising against them had a bad experience. I wouldn't mind reading the article if it consist of some "educated" information. Thanks

I give more weight to SMEs opinions over some random reviews on the Internet by people who probably for the most part don't/can't shoot last 200 yards.

is saying "Fuck" against the rules?

Man if they don't like that, they would have hated the site 10 years ago...

With this new sense of right and wrong being introduced by the recent members here, I may have to open up the nudity policy to allow pink, cause lots of vagina on display

New forum section idea, "Crafting the Perfect Man Bunn"

This is pure gold. LMAO!

I give more weight to SMEs opinions over some random reviews on the Internet by people who probably for the most part don't/can't shoot last 200 yards.
they may not shoot over 200 yds, but they may shoot 3 times as many rounds per month as precision shooter, To me , that will tell whether the rings will hold up or not, is that not the case?

they may not shoot over 200 yds, but they may shoot 3 times as many rounds per month as precision shooter, To me , that will tell whether the rings will hold up or not, is that not the case?
hold up yes. will they fuck the scope when you finally move past the 200 yard barrier? its not worth the risk when we have so many other options, some of which even cost less!

Reactions: deersniper
hold up yes. will they fuck the scope when you finally move past the 200 yard barrier? its not worth the risk when we have so many other options, some of which even cost less!
can u explain that to me please?

They cause issues with tracking. It used to be mostly Larue fanboys that tried to justify them, but even Larue has switched to horizontal split rings for the precision mounts.

They cause issues with tracking. It used to be mostly Larue fanboys that tried to justify them, but even Larue has switched to horizontal split rings for the precision mounts.
thanks, that is what i was wanting to know

Its not the fact that the rings are horizontally split that can cause problems.

Whether the ring cap mounts on top of the ring body (the norm such as Seekins) or from the side (Vortex Viper, ARC) or diagonal, like (Spuhr) mdkes no difference.

The vertically split rings that have a seperate cap; a cap that only engages the scope tube and isnt pulling double duty as a rail clamp, is fine.

Example: https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/2...ZyqbDSuV-vydqzbiC3GZa1BA2x6l8i3oaAnDZEALw_wcB

The problem occurs with the vertically split rings that use each half to both hold the rail and the scope tube, such as the Leupold Rifleman and Warne Maxima.

I have some Warne Maxima rings and have been using them successfully for 8+ years on IOR and US Optics scopes.

I recommend for most, just use the horizontally split type, or seperate ring cap vertically split type (ARC, Spuhr, Vortex Viper)

If one already owns and wants to use the Warne Maxima type rings successfully, dont use the recommended torque values, especially on the bottom screws, it risks scope damage if your scope is on the MMC side of 30mm.

Its important that the scope tube be on the LMC (least material condition) side of its diameter tolerance. Example: A tube diameter of 29.98 mm would likely work fine, whereas a tube diameter of 30.02 mm could be problematic.

Also, its critical that the lower screw be torqued to its full torque value first, while the top screw is completely loose.

One of the ring halves has a lug that is designed to be torqued into contact with the other ring half first, before any torque is applied to the top screw. Once the bottom screw is torqued (about 15 lb-in is what ived used since day 1 with these rings) and the lug in the lower portion of the ring halve is in contact with the other half, the ID of ring is 30mm. Then, only after the bottom screws are tightened, the top screw can be tightened to 15 lb-in.

If the top screw is already tight, or even snug when you start tightening the bottom screw, then by the time you get the rings rail clamp into contact with the rail, your already crushing the scope tube.

I bought these rings a long time ago, and having a degree in Engineering, i immediately saw the potential for trouble. I looked them over, made some measurements, paid attention to the little things, and have been using them without issue for years.

That being said, there are better options out there!

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
I assumed by vertical mounts, they meant these:

7265eb1db2ceb2aec83755d93d83a8d0.jpg

Which is unfortunate, since I have two of them.
One is used on a 1-4 so it should be fine, since it's not exactly "precision" shooting.
Now I'm concerned about the other one though, it is on a semi-precision setup.

One is used on a 1-4 so it should be fine, since it's not exactly "precision" shooting.

Many people, including myself, use that or similar mounts without any issues. If your scope tracks well in the mount you're fine.

They do mean those. But like the old thread said: If you arent having a problem then you have no problem. In some instances though it is the problem. Thats it.

Well, I took advantage of GA Precision / Bushnell LRHSi deal, and then bought a Burris XTR 2-10 and needed mounts.
Someone mentioned the Geissele super precision mounts and they happen to be on sale ($260) from the factory over Labor Day weekends.

Compared to most, Geissele doles out the swag. Yeah, it's just free advertising, but what kid didn't want an STP sticker for their bike in the 60's. Even if we didn't know what it was.

IMG_0460.JPG