• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

I don't know if my invoice has a serial number on it.

There is a number but it doesn't make sense.

Mine can't possibly be as low as it says unless they are manufacturing out of order.

Weird.

I don't know if my invoice has a serial number on it.

There is a number but it doesn't make sense.

Mine can't possibly be as low as it says unless they are manufacturing out of order.

Weird.

based on the shipping invoice, i'm in the single digit #. diff for LA vs SA

Per Justin, ARC cut more ramp in the action lugs on the Archimedes than the Nuke. The bolt head lugs has practically nothing cut into them.

If you remember, version 2 of the Nuke bolt head had a little more cut off the corners. Nucleus has desinged into it more of a ramp cut into the bolt head lugs.

So, you can use a Nuke bolt head and its ramps will work with ramps on Arch action lugs.

But, an Arch bolt head without any angle on the lug and a Nuke action will maybe have a catch on close if you don't push the bolt forward with authority.

Reactions: Cody S
Per Justin, ARC cut more ramp in the action lugs on the Archimedes than the Nuke. The bolt head lugs has practically nothing cut into them.

If you remember, version 2 of the Nuke bolt head had a little more cut off the corners. Nucleus has desinged into it more of a ramp cut into the bolt head lugs.

So, you can use a Nuke bolt head and its ramps will work with ramps on Arch action lugs.

But, an Arch bolt head without any angle on the lug and a Nuke action will maybe have a catch on close if you don't push the bolt forward with authority.
Thanks that's what I suspected.

Reactions: hereinaz
First evening with the Archimedes:
  • I had to shorten (length, not height) my BnA TacSport top sear. Tried regular and low sears, but it ended up being the length. The bolt would not close unless you really slam it forward. Surmising that the bolt shroud locking pin was not getting compressed fully to allow the bolt to rotate closed. We'll see if ignition is affected with the shorter top sear.
  • May be old news, but bolt dis/assembly does not require a washer/screw. The included dowel is all you need*
  • Bolt lift is much lighter than my Tikkas.
*I cheated, and used a .223 rem case to help compress the spring, though.

2019-09-13 22.01.48.jpg

I’m trying to follow but I really don’t know much about min max measurements..between components.

You would think if they are made to spec “it should work”.

Can someone fill me in with what the “average “ sear engagement should be on a custom action.

I’m guessing it’s different than a mass produced r700 etc.

Getting a good education on this thread.

Thanks

• I had to shorten (length, not height) my BnA TacSport top sear. Tried regular and low sears, but it ended up being the length. The bolt would not close unless you really slam it forward. Surmising that the bolt shroud locking pin was not getting compressed fully to allow the bolt to rotate closed. We'll see if ignition is affected with the shorter top sear.
  • May be old news, but bolt dis/assembly does not require a washer/screw. The included dowel is all you need*

View attachment 7147183

Have you contacted ARC about the issue with the BixNAndy trigger? I was planning on using a BixNAndy trigger on mine and an "official" solution would be nice...

View attachment 7147183
Can u list the steps you followed to re-assemble your bolt. Ive got mine apart and can not get the spring compressed to allow the bolt handle to go bake in.

Bolt wont close on a Tubb T7T, BNA Tac Sport (low and high sear), Geissele ... have two Archimedes delivered last night ... this sucks.

Can u list the steps you followed to re-assemble your bolt. Ive got mine apart and can not get the spring compressed to allow the bolt handle to go bake in.
I used a .223 rem case, and a table, to compress the spring with the spool looking thing on top. Once compressed, slide the disassembly dowel in the hole that captures the spool stop the spring (like during disassembly). At that point, the lever and pin go in easy. Once those are in, pull the dowel out.

Spool = striker bushing

Have you contacted ARC about the issue with the BixNAndy trigger? I was planning on using a BixNAndy trigger on mine and an "official" solution would be nice...
I have not. I like instant gratification, so I modded my BnA sear (used a low sear).

All 100 CCI 450 primers went bang, today. Feeds and ejects great, also.

Reactions: Franko
I got mine barreled and in the chassis, using a TT Special. Does anyone know if the polished pin that is wrapped in plastic a special tool?

TT special works? Tried Calvin elite and bixn Andy... neither worked (bolt wouldn't close). Steel pin is to assist with bolt disassembly. Scroll up for information.

TT special works? Tried Calvin elite and bixn Andy... neither worked (bolt wouldn't close). Steel pin is to assist with bolt disassembly. Scroll up for information.
Seems so, I have not shot it yet but running the bolt in the basement it goes click every time.

Mine is *functional* with a Triggertech special, it just feels like shit. You've really gotta slam that bolt forward to overcome the sear and cam the bolt down.

i must have gotten lucky. I already have rounds downrange with a TT diamond installed and its worked flawlessly and smooth. After Reading these last few posts, I swapped in a Calvin Elite single stage and it works perfect as well.

Reactions: Cody S
It looked like the new version Mausingfield was going to have a Nucleus style barrel lug but customer feedback made ARC change that plan (which resulted in the delay).

I think ARC should make a cost reduced Mausingfield for the hunting crowd and maybe a few expensive flavors. $1,600 is a bit hard to spend when so many other good choices are $1,200 or less. I think some people would rather spend on a Mauser style claw extractor and a 90° throw than a feature filled Nucleus with 60° (or 72°?) throw so a cheap Mausingfield could get ARC more of the custom hunting rifle action sales.

That would leave the Archimedes as a premium choice with lots of features and an expensive Mausingfield as the premium two lug action.

I heard someone floated a rumor of an Archimedes XL coming next year possibly, for 338 Lapua and other big ELR cartridges. I would like to see a product like that although I don't think I want to step up in to the big stuff any time soon.

i must have gotten lucky. I already have rounds downrange with a TT diamond installed and its worked flawlessly and smooth. After Reading these last few posts, I swapped in a Calvin Elite single stage and it works perfect as well.
Would be curious to know what's inscribed on your cocking piece (that's what she said). Mine reads "780/055." I have a feeling ARC may have/will have several iterations of this piece, because why inscribe it otherwise?

ETA - Measurements (may not be rocket surgery accurate):
  • length of the whole sear engagement surface = 0.8340 inches
  • width of the above (probably no significance) = 0.1400 inches
  • length of the protrusion/nub that contacts the sear = 0.0545 inches
  • height of the sear contact nub (hard to get accurate measurement) = ~ 0.0630 inches
With that, I'm guessing the "055" in the inscription is the third measurement above.
20190916_071135.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: character0
A lot of stuff gets marked just for production tracking. I wouldn't read in to a mark as ARC planning to make several revisions of the part.

Hell, in my business, parts get marked and then immediately covered in plastic before anyone has a chance to look at it. You have to remove the plastic with acid to actually read the mark and that is usually only done for failure analysis.

And nobody want to make a part that needs several revisions.

Bix 'n Andy make three different top sears, in varying heights, to accommodate different actions/tolerances.

It looked like the new version Mausingfield was going to have a Nucleus style barrel lug but customer feedback made ARC change that plan (which resulted in the delay).

I think ARC should make a cost reduced Mausingfield for the hunting crowd and maybe a few expensive flavors. $1,600 is a bit hard to spend when so many other good choices are $1,200 or less. I think some people would rather spend on a Mauser style claw extractor and a 90° throw than a feature filled Nucleus with 60° (or 72°?) throw so a cheap Mausingfield could get ARC more of the custom hunting rifle action sales.

That would leave the Archimedes as a premium choice with lots of features and an expensive Mausingfield as the premium two lug action.

I heard someone floated a rumor of an Archimedes XL coming next year possibly, for 338 Lapua and other big ELR cartridges. I would like to see a product like that although I don't think I want to step up in to the big stuff any time soon.

From the looks of it the Archimedes is taking the Mausingfield’s original roll of a bomb proof tactical action while the Mausingfield itself is being moved into a more hunting oriented roll. As for the alternatives you have a Defiance with the CRF bolt at $1500 or a Dakota 97 which I’m not sure you can buy just the action but the rifles are custom level pricing anyway.

Interesting, thanks. Just wanted to verify the nub stuck forwards (possible to tune action) as opposed to down (possible to tune if you’re comfortable welding nitrided steel... not recommended in most cases).

Ted makes no secret of the fact that he intends actions to be tuned by a proper gunsmith for perfect function. He also has things like extractors manufactured on the tight/interfering side so you only need to remove material for perfect fitment.

This is me spitballing as an engineer and not in any way trying to put words in Ted’s mouth:

Given that the Archi trigger fitment issues seem worse than the Nucleus it’s *possible* that a machining pass was missed, but the shape appears correct so I wouldn’t bet on it. It’s also possible that the cocking sear is designed around the loosest trigger he could find. It’s possible that the extra cocking on close is intended to make it very obvious when a trigger would otherwise drag, as a “fitting is needed” indicator that isn’t light strikes.

Anyway I’d be interested in hearing what Ted or Jon have to say about it, and I’m sure the people who have already bought the action would as well.

Ted makes no secret of the fact that he intends actions to be tuned by a proper gunsmith for perfect function. He also has things like extractors manufactured on the tight/interfering side so you only need to remove material for perfect fitment.
Where can this info be found? I cannot find it anywhere on the product page.

Is the Archimedes still controlled round feed?

I may go 300PRC instead of the Norma

Is the Archimedes still controlled round feed?

I may go 300PRC instead of the Norma

Yes. The Norma will need a bigger bolt (bolt-face). I think ARC has Norma/Barret416/338LM Archimedes action coming next year.

Reactions: missed
I think ARC has Norma/Barret416/338LM Archimedes action coming next year.
.416 Barrett is a .50 BMG bolt face. It's possible the new action could be sized for 338LM and 375 CheyTac, but probably not the next size up (even then, a CheyTac action is pretty big for 338LM).

Reactions: Dooby
375 CheyTac is probably as big as I would ever go, I think you could probably build something that would compete in KOTM with that chambering.

A .50 BMG case head doesn't get you anything else until you really specialize.

Does anyone know what the bolt disassembly procedure is for the Archimedes?

Archimedes Long Action Photos

Attachments

• IMG_20190916_150411.jpg
    IMG_20190916_150411.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190916_150307.jpg
    IMG_20190916_150307.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20190916_150325.jpg
    IMG_20190916_150325.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20190916_150338.jpg
    IMG_20190916_150338.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20190916_150547.jpg
    IMG_20190916_150547.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20190916_150552.jpg
    IMG_20190916_150552.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20190916_150656.jpg
    IMG_20190916_150656.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 131
It literally says: "serial number or notes"

It's just down a few lines. Also mine was on my shipping notice, not my invoice.

UPS "attempted" delivery of mine yesterday. Long action, right hand, .473" bolt face, 20 MOA rail, low serial number.

Hopefully they get it right today.

Unfortunately, once it gets in and I do the paperwork, that just begins the 10 day wait and due to scheduling, it looks like October 1 will probably be my pickup date.

If the stars align and I start my paperwork tomorrow, I can get it Sept. 28.

I haven’t heard anything for a week and I think my FFL sent the paperwork...

UPS "attempted" delivery of mine yesterday. Long action, right hand, .473" bolt face, 20 MOA rail, low serial number.

Hopefully they get it right today.

Unfortunately, once it gets in and I do the paperwork, that just begins the 10 day wait and due to scheduling, it looks like October 1 will probably be my pickup date.

If the stars align and I start my paperwork tomorrow, I can get it Sept. 28.

But the weather sure is nice here isn’t it..

Does anyone else struggle w/ the bolt stop as much as i do? I thought I saw an iteration w/ a tear drop shaped actuator, but these "in the wild" photos dont have that. Now just wondering if i made that up, or if design was changed for some reason.