• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

I'm hoping the archimedes is different from the nucleus in the way that the bolt on the nucleus has to be pushed forward while closing. The nucleus bolt also wiggles like crazy when it's racked from the rear. My next action will be impact or archimedes depending how light this lift is.

I have never found this to be a problem. If you are just barely moving the bolt you will notice that a little forward pressure is needed to help it close. That is when sitting there trying to find faults. In actual use, I have never even noticed that little initial resistance. Not while slowly feeding a round while shooting single shot for load development, not while shooting in a match, prone or positional. I think that my bolt has gotten easier to close with some use. I'm coming up on 400 rounds now and who knows how many times the bolt has been cycled during dry fire and other testing? Last Saturday about 5 people tried my rifle after the match and not one said anything about needing forward pressure. They all cycled it like you run a a bolt and there were no exaggerated efforts to close the bolt. In fact every one of them were impressed with the cycling and how easy it is.

The bolt in the rearward position has some movement no doubt, but it has never bound up or not wanted to go forward in actual use. Yeah, sitting there trying to find faults it can seem like it's wiggly, but it functions just like it's supposed to. In fact, in one of the first videos Ted put out he said why he didn't use a constant diameter bolt/bolt head. Again, there was no mention of any weirdness by the folks testing my gun out last weekend.

Is it the perfect action? I couldn't tell you. I only know what I know and haven't tried everything out there and never will. Did I have light strikes initially? Yes. I cleaned all the excess packing grease out of the bolt and I haven't had a lick of trouble since. If you are disappointed in your Nucleus I bet I could find a buyer.

@karagias You previous said that the Mausingfield bolt heads and actions were made out of 4340 steel and heat treated to 53HRC. They were DLC coated and cannot be nitrided to break the safety margin. Now new Mausingfield actions are being nitrided. Are they made out of different steel now? Are they holding the same strength to take 338 LM?

Last edited:
Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
Is it just me or is the interest level of the new action not there at all? I was holding off and debating the pre-order until I saw more reviews but they’re just not there at all.

I remember all the buzz the nuke created when it was released last year. I feel like the interest level just isn’t there this time around. Does anyone else feel that way?

Is it just me or is the interest level of the new action not there at all? I was holding off and debating the pre-order until I saw more reviews but they’re just not there at all.

I remember all the buzz the nuke created when it was released last year. I feel like the interest level just isn’t there this time around. Does anyone else feel that way?

I feel that way about it. I have been trying to find Shot show reviews or really any information besides what was posted on arcs sight and on the hide here and there is nothing. That said i think some of it is that it is basically a slightly modified nucleus. And to be honest i don't know how much of a difference it'll make one way or the other. I preordered one just for shit's and giggles since I've been having an urge to build a 7 saum and i figure if nothing else its something different. The price point on it i think may be giving people pause. the price point is just below some known quality actions.

Last edited:

I am interested and honestly if the Nucleus hadn’t been released last year then I’d have put a preorder for the action and chassis on the first day I saw them. However since the Nucleus has been added as my short action competition gun I’m more interested in the redesigned Mausingfield for a hunting rifle project.

Apples and oranges. The nuke really kicked off that value priced custom action. This is in another level that will turn off a good number of buyers. (So hopefully I get mine sooner than I got the nuke haha)

Yeah. SHOT show coverage as a whole felt that way. Hardly any coverage at all.

@Jon_ARC

Just pre-ordered an XYLO chassis. I plan to use this chassis for NRA Highpower.

1. Options that I would like to see include more/different weight options to balance the rifle.
2. Butt plate that adjusts horizontally as well as vertically.

I'm really excited to get a hand on that large walnut grip!
Regards,
Ross

Reactions: dghboy315
@Jon_ARC

Just pre-ordered an XYLO chassis. I plan to use this chassis for NRA Highpower.

1. Options that I would like to see include more/different weight options to balance the rifle.
2. Butt plate that adjusts horizontally as well as vertically.

I'm really excited to get a hand on that large walnut grip!
Regards,
Ross
I think these are probably the best and most possible changes. The chassis balances very well as is, but it is extremely light. Being able to add weights on both ends would be ideal.

Yeah. SHOT show coverage as a whole felt that way. Hardly any coverage at all.
Frank put it best on his recent Everyday Sniper podcast. Last year he had people telling him that he just had to see what companies X, Y, and Z were releasing. This year he just had people asking if he happened to see what companies X, Y, and Z were putting out since it was a year full of upgrades.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Youtube demonitized all the gun channels so they can’t afford to go to SHOT anymore.

I also think we all got a little spoiled by the coverage that Gavin and the 6.5Guys (just to name a couple) did the last few years. Most of the folks at large trade shows are just there casually, but when you've got folks that are working hard all day, and then in the evenings they were editing and posting video after video.....it just makes for a very long tiring day (and week). I'm sure that more and more info will be trickling out over the next couple weeks.

Maybe you all forget back in the stone age when we had to wait several months for a physical magazine like Shooting Times or Guns & Ammo to have a "SHOT Show Special Edition" where in they finally told us about what was new that year.....and most of the time, nothing is really new, it's just a little different.

I also think we all got a little spoiled by the coverage that Gavin and the 6.5Guys (just to name a couple) did the last few years. Most of the folks at large trade shows are just there casually, but when you've got folks that are working hard all day, and then in the evenings they were editing and posting video after video.....it just makes for a very long tiring day (and week). I'm sure that more and more info will be trickling out over the next couple weeks.

Maybe you all forget back in the stone age when we had to wait several months for a physical magazine like Shooting Times or Guns & Ammo to have a "SHOT Show Special Edition" where in they finally told us about what was new that year.....and most of the time, nothing is really new, it's just a little different.

Definitely spoiled the last few years. Last years 6.5 Guys coverage was BOSS.

Can someone enlighten me on why the steel bag rider is double the cost of the aluminum?

I may be way off base but it seems in most other things, aluminum is a more expensive product than steel.

I assume there is an obvious reason but I can only speculate. Is it the manufacturing process? Cost of material? Something else?

Couldn’t hold out on the chassis, went in late last night.

As a lefty, this is an interesting product for me as it will have a market for resell with right handlers as well if I ever want to get out of it.

I’m in for a chassis too. I talked with arc to clarify some details and their responses over that past week have been pretty impressive. Quick, clear and generous.

I’m in for a chassis too. I talked with arc to clarify some details and their responses over that past week have been pretty impressive. Quick, clear and generous.

Care to share the questions/ details and their responses with the rest of the class?

The xylo. I'm think 2020 season about running a SA nuke or Archimedes in 22 creedmoor. The xylo will be the stock for that project. We'll see how it pans out.

I start to get "its the most awesome" fatigue, plus, the nucleus isn't freely available yet- or let me put it this way. I want a rifle and I can't figure out where I can get a nucleus action and barrel for sure. When last years hottness isn't freely available, that has to put some downward pressure on when you'd actually get the new hotness. Though, that is great marketing with $250 between their models. Crap, I can $250 my self to high end one just because. Everyone I talk to who went or who viewed from afar thought it was a down interest year.

Reactions: hereinaz
I kinda wish they hadn't extended the pre-order pricing. I had been doing good resisting the temptation to order one, and possibly the xylo, and made it till today (well after midnight now, so yesterday) without ordering. Then saw the discount was extended and the temptation started up again. Already have a couple nucleus actions, and don't run things host enough that I would probably need the extra force for extraction created by pivoting on a fulcrum to create a mechanical advantage, but still really tempted.

I have one of the NSS Bat actions pre-ordered and waiting on currently, but since getting my first action of this caliber (pun intended) I have been selling off almost all my savage stuff and upgrading to nicer builds (easier than fitting yet another safe somewhere in my house). I used savage actions almost exclusively so have a lot of nice barrels that should direct fit on an archimedes, so that would come in handy (I might be trying to talk myself into ordering one here).

I start to get "its the most awesome" fatigue, plus, the nucleus isn't freely available yet- or let me put it this way. I want a rifle and I can't figure out where I can get a nucleus action and barrel for sure. When last years hottness isn't freely available, that has to put some downward pressure on when you'd actually get the new hotness. Though, that is great marketing with $250 between their models. Crap, I can $250 my self to high end one just because. Everyone I talk to who went or who viewed from afar thought it was a down interest year.

Think Nucleus order turnaround at ARC is a couple of weeks. That’s about as freely available in this industry as you get.

Reactions: stereo.pete
Strange I handled a prototype action with this system for primary extraction over a year ago at a rifle builder in the Netherlands and even shot a rifle build around the action last summer.
Take a look at www.dutchlongarms.com
So doesn’t look so original

Reactions: BlueVFRank
Strange I handled a prototype action with this system for primary extraction over a year ago at a rifle builder in the Netherlands and even shot a rifle build around the action last summer.
Hmm, yea i can totally see that action dropping into any 700 footprint chassis or stock, taking magpul mags, using prefit barrels in any cartridge you want and using any 700 based trigger...oh wait.

Hmm, yea i can totally see that action dropping into any 700 footprint chassis or stock, taking magpul mags, using prefit barrels in any cartridge you want and using any 700 based trigger...oh wait.

Hi,

And that bypasses the potential copy of extraction system how?
I do not see Ted marketing his action based on M700 drop-in but rather the "unique" extraction and pivoting bolt system.

Sincerely,
Theis

My comment was about the primary extraction mechanism. Not the foot print. The rifle I shot actually did have a Remington compatible trigger in it.

Hi,

And that bypasses the potential copy of extraction system how?
I do not see Ted marketing his action based on M700 drop-in but rather the "unique" extraction and pivoting bolt system.

Sincerely,
Theis
Simple, because it's not the same.
If you want to ask an engineer, they will be able give the correct terminology as to the differences. Ted never it's the first action to extract on that style, he just said it's the best. That's like saying every traditional extrextracting action is a copy.

Last edited:
Reactions: hereinaz
The way the two actions implement the lever system is different among many other things between the two. And sai g well he took the idea is like saying that the inventors of trucks took the idea from cars because they both use motors to power drive trains and move the vehicle

There aren't many new ideas, especially in bolt actions. Just new arrangements and different levels of execution. There are a number of reasons why I would say the Archimedes has more advantages than the Dutch rifle mentioned above. The pivoting bolt handle isn't new, but not is it the only thing that makes the Archimedes a solid action in my book. Extractor surface area, CRF, 73 degree throw, 3 toroidal lugs, dual cocking cams, the bolt stop, mechanical ejector, m700 stocks& triggers, Savage prefit barrels, barloc compatible...

Thousand ways to skin the cat and everyone likes different things. I don't remember seeing Ted ever claim his was the first bolt action to use that tech. The only reservation I would have is a patent somewhere that will interfere with production/sale.

Am I the only one who couldn’t care less about a Dutch action that has never been turned into a commercialized product and will likely never even be seen in the US?

The vainness is going to come out of me as well and put it on the record that that Ascalon action is displeasing to the eye as well.

Can't believe I missed this thread... lol. Anyhow, I thought I would add my belated two cents to the matter.

Devil is in the details on patents, and until you've examined what is "patent pending", there is no way to really guess. So many crazy statements have been made that are really irrelevant on whether it infringes. Most comments appear ignorant of the tech and law. That was displayed when the Gamechanger bag got its patent and discussions followed. The Gamechanger patent had to be so specific because of "prior art" that it is difficult to infringe on the patent unless it is almost an exact duplicate of it. I won't be going into analysis of it any more than that. But, with two lever extraction methods you'd also have to look at all the "prior art" of similar lever extraction methods.

From the immediate looks of it, the Ascalon has a sleeve on the end of the bolt, and the bolt lever pushes against the sleeve to pull the bolt rearward through the sleeve. See pics below. On the Ascalon, there is no direct contact between the lever and the action, which is how the Archimedes operates to force the bolt back. The Ascalon has a self contained lever system in the bolt and has more parts. The Archimedes is much simpler. So, just from my initial review, I see at least one significant technical difference between the operation of the lever on the bolt. http://soldiersystems.net/2018/11/2...tion-system-from-dutch-gunsmith-pim-de-waard/

I handled the Archimedes and own three Nukes. Bolt lift and close was smoother than the Nucleus, by a small but noticeable margin. I got in on a pre-order, but am not planning on replacing any Nukes right now.

Given the Nucleus runs so well in actual field conditions, I gotta believe the Archimedes will be better, but it is hard to improve the Nucleus feel during a match where it matters, IMO. If you are running one on a bench, yeah, you might have complaints, but I don't think the Nuke was designed that way. Bench actions will fail much more quickly in field conditions than a Nuke ever would.

Only thing I wonder in practical application is how extraction will feel, but understanding leverage and seeing how little is needed for cam extraction, I don't think you'll notice much difference with a fired case. I think the change will yield a better feel.

The new Mausingfield tool free bolt disassembly was pretty nice. I didn't practice off camera, so my first very first attempt I missed getting the shroud twisted correctly and didn't get the pin cocked. Right after I fumbled and the video was shut off I got it right. Sounds like it will make its way to Nucleus and Arcmedes as they unify production details. It can't be retrofit to the current bolts though.

The bolt head exchange program sounds like you will confirm with ARC, ship them yours and you get a new one back. Doesn't matter whether you are original buyer or not. When it comes to that, I don't worry about the bump on close much at all, but it did seem improved. I don't know that I will be in a hurry to change the bolt head, but will eventually.

Xylo is an interesting chassis. I was probably the guy you saw "break" the cheek adjustment in the video. LOL. it was a prototype and a simple washer and clip will keep it assembled. I am a stock guy, generally. I have had several chassis and run one right now till my A6 stock is done cause McMillan didn't have the inlet program (they have my Nucleus in house now to write the program). Anyhow, I would consider using the Xylo because of the options and stock like configuration. The length of pull adjustment felt pretty solid, the levers in the bar were a little wonky at first, you have to pull it centered for it to work. But, it seems like a Ted sort of solution that will work and is actually quick once you work it a couple times.

Here are two videos that I took at SHOT in the ARC booth.

Xylo chassis

three actions

1549580824693.png

1549581015711.png

SHOT didn't have a whole lot groundbreaking/shaking this year. Lots of incremental improvements to existing tech, which is what I consider the Archimedes and Xylo... That isn't to discount the crazy engineering we get from Ted.

Archimedes won't have as much interest as Nucleus cause we already spent our money on the Nucleus, lol. Time will only tell whether I'd spend the extra money for an Archimedes if the Nucleus is available. I don't want to Ted to get any ideas to discontinue the Nucleus, AND, if you are reading Ted, you'd lose ALOT of the budget class guys, which is why I started with the Nucleus in the first place. Once I went ARC, I am all in, lol.

I got interested enough to pay a deposit on a Archimedes action before the 20% discount expired. This will be my first precision / custom action. Looking forward to paying the rest around May 2019. Yes, I know, nothing is firm until it the actual time arrives ... :cool:

Ah well, i broke down and ordered an archimedes. Went with long action .535 bolt face. Will do a 264 win mag or something similar.

I’m planning for a short action in 6cm. Thinking about getting a Hawk Hill Custom barrel, this is the last place I would want to trim costs.

Reactions: andrewsben
My first custom action order was the nucleus last year, first I recieved was a tenacity, followed by origin, eventually the 2 nucleus I ordered arrived. I am running a 6mm creedmoor on one of the nucleus builds, well it is for my son. Really happy with it.

My first custom action order was the nucleus last year, first I recieved was a tenacity, followed by origin, eventually the 2 nucleus I ordered arrived. I am running a 6mm creedmoor on one of the nucleus builds, well it is for my son. Really happy with it.

How do you like the Origin vs Nucleus as far as function? Thinking of doing my first 6.5 CM build on the Origin as my questions to PVA have gone unanswered and they are local to me. Most likely use a pre- fit shouldered bartlein in #23 marksman contour.

Thanks,

TM6

How do you like the Origin vs Nucleus as far as function? Thinking of doing my first 6.5 CM build on the Origin as my questions to PVA have gone unanswered and they are local to me. Most likely use a pre- fit shouldered bartlein in #23 marksman contour.

Thanks,

TM6
For the price I prefer the origin, post pre order. Have ordered another 1 after my initial order to do a hunting build for my son.

I've read that trigger pull weight can be influenced by the striker spring, does anyone know how close the Triggertech Special will get down to the claimed 1lb on the Nucleus or Archimedes action?

I've read that trigger pull weight can be influenced by the striker spring, does anyone know how close the Triggertech Special will get down to the claimed 1lb on the Nucleus or Archimedes action?

I don't know about the Special but the Diamond I have went below 3oz consistently and could not quite get to 1.5lbs on a Nucleus LA. Wil be ordering a Special.

Reactions: DanGTG