• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ammo Advise for Rem .223 Long Range Varmint Match

mrvideostore

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2017
Hi All, I'm shooting a Savage 12 FV 1 to 9 twist in a XLR chassis and will be upgrading to a SWFA 5- 20 HD from a Fixed 12. Targets will be from 220 yds out to 650 yds. I'm up in Northern Nv so Wind can be a factor. Last year I was shooting Aussie Outback 69 SMK with the wind pushing the bullet some. Thinking about switching to Hornady Superformance Match 75 BTHP or Hornady Superformance Varmint 53 V-Max. The question is do I go for a Heavier Bullet with more Energy and about the same Drop as my old Factory Ammo from last year. Or use the Lighter V-Max with more FPS and Less Drop. Main Goal reduce the Wind Factor and have spotters see the hit or spash on the Steel.

Thanks
Ken

Run the ballistics on both on JBM. That will answer your question.

Heavier bullets will have less wind drift, lighter and faster bullets will have less drop at close to mid ranges, but then fall off at extended ranges. Go with the heavier 70gr + offerings from Hornady and Federal

Unless the scoring criteria depends heavily on actual terminal performance, the heavier Match projectile would be my choice.

I would favor the Hornady over a specialized and less consistently available product because a weaker link in the supply chain simply adds crucial complexity to the entire process. I shoot my Hornady 75gr HPBT Match handloads at 600yd Match distances (MR F T/R) in 24" Bolt and Varminter AR rifles.

I'm at 4200ft in the Arizona High Desert, but shoot comp down in the valley at around 1800ft ASL. The HDY 75gr HPBT Match over 24.4gr of Varget was a strong performer at the 600yd distance, so much so that I'm reducing my load to 23.5gr-23.7gr for the future, which always shot more accurately in my 24" guns. I will take accuracy over velocity as long as the projectile can always arrives at the target doing 1300fps or faster.

No matter what speed the bullet is going, the shooter will always need to apply decent wind skills, so inherent ammunition accuracy always will be more important than velocity. It forms the basic foundation onto which the wind skills must be applied.

I'd seriously consider the Hornady 75gr Superformance Match.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: STROP
I haven't tried it yet, but Federal Premium Gold Medal Berger, is loaded with a 73 gr. Berger BT OTM. Might be worth a try.

I have the same rifle in a B & C stock. It handles 75 grain bullets fine, but I handload. Go with 75 grain bullets to reduce wind drift somewhat. The difference is not big, however. Only about a 3 inch reduction in windage at 600 yards for a 75 over a 69 grain bullet running 100 fpm faster. If you are very comfortable with the ballistics of the 69 grainer, you might want to stick with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I solved the problem this morning at Cabelas, picked up a new Savage 12 FV in 6.5 CM out the door for $402 with 100.00 rebate card coming so basically $302.00. Think this should take care of the wind drifts. Thanks Again for responding.

Ken