• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo price gouging

FFS this isn't hard to understand at all

You own a gas station in Alabama, today (and for the last 45 days) you sell gas for $2/gallon. A Cat 4 storm rolls in and wipes out the area. The gov declares a state of emergency

Everyone is desperate for gas to run their generators and will pay anything to get it. 2 days later you decide to raise the price of gas at your gas station to $8/gallon, cause you know you can do whatever the fuck you want

Did you violate the Alabama Unconscionable Pricing Act ?
(as quoted in post #150, known as alabamas anti price gouging law)

Do not bother to reply with anything more than yes or no
I'll reply how I choose. I don't care about Alabama's law. There are many stupid, irrational, and/or immoral laws. Just look at the title of the law you reference - "unconscionable'...? Who gets to decide what is unconscionable? I also agree that this shouldn't be hard to understand, so why are you struggling? I am speaking to the underlying philosophy, not what some pencil neck in a state legislature writes on a piece of paper.

I was looking for a thread regarding ammo prices to reply to rather than start a new one. Guess I missed it
I don’t believe for a minute manufacturers have substantially raised their prices as I’ve found no huge raw material shortages. Raising prices due to low inventory is pretty classic price gouging.
That’s just my opinion
We will see how other retailers price their ammo when supply returns.
Ammunition depot : 1,000 thousand rounds of re loaded 9mm.....$700.00 let that sink in.

Idk about the online retailers and distributers, but all my local shops are getting hit with higher prices, just as we individuals are. I've got plenty, so I don't have to buy, but it's hurting our local shops, in fact one has already went tits up.

Yet here you are in it complaining about how you are more deserving to buy the ammo that other "lesser" shooters are preventing you from getting. That they should stop so that YOU can buy it.

If you are so stocked up then why are you even opening your mouth on the subject?
No he only stated that people that are buying it right now are the ones who wont ever shoot it.

He is saying all the new gun owners who will never use their gun, because they bought it because it was the newest fad dont deserve to be buying the ammo off the shelves and creating this shortage we are seeing.

Doc

No he only stated that people that are buying it right now are the ones who wont ever shoot it.

He is saying all the new gun owners who will never use their gun, because they bought it because it was the newest fad dont deserve to be buying the ammo off the shelves and creating this shortage we are seeing.

Doc
Gee that sounds exactly like what I just said. He is complaining that lesser shooters aren't deserving of buying ammo if it prevents entitled people like him from buying what he wants, when he wants. Despite stating that he has enough reloading supplies to pump out all the ammo he could use, he simply doesn't feel that he should have to change his current habits and instead wants others to change theirs to suit him.

Whether or not a person will ever shoot what they bought has ZERO bearing on their RIGHT to buy what they want. Like I stated before a serious shooter that has been through even just one of the previous frenzies should have been smart enough to lay in added supplies at the beginning of the current one, as there was PLENTY of warning. I bought all of it that I could afford once I saw the writing on the wall.

And I will let you in on a little secret, it's NOT only those new "non" shooters that are causing the shortage.

Not ammo , but still WTF
1606659690364.png
1606659753946.png

Some people were arrested for "price gouging" by selling $500 generators for $1500 after one of the hurricanes. What they fail to mention is the guy took time off work, had to come up with a bunch of cash money to buy generators, fuel, lodging, ect..... and drove from Missouri to Texas to sell em. Lots of risk involved where he could lose money. If he's limited to the normal market price, it wouldn't be worth it to bring more supply to that area.

Some people were arrested for "price gouging" by selling $500 generators for $1500 after one of the hurricanes. What they fail to mention is the guy took time off work, had to come up with a bunch of cash money to buy generators, fuel, lodging, ect..... and drove from Missouri to Texas to sell em. Lots of risk involved where he could lose money. If he's limited to the normal market price, it wouldn't be worth it to bring more supply to that area.

And the moral of the story is the government "Protected" people from getting "gouged" by making sure nobody got generators at all.....

Yet I'll bet all the idiot moralists going on about "evil gougers" would prefer nobody got anything rather than somebody use their initiative and put their money at risk to make a profit.

I mean it's not like the governor decided to get their ass in gear and personally get a bunch of generators to people who didn't have the foresight to plan ahead and get some, so why would they let anyone else do it....

But sure, folks love their "government protection"...

Just like the government recently "seized" a bunch of masks from some "evil gouger" and did anyone get to buy those masks at the "correct prices" or did the government keep them all for themselves......

And the moral of the story is the government "Protected" people from getting "gouged" by making sure nobody got generators at all.....

Exactly! Texas also never had major problems with gas stations running out of fuel during hurricane evacuations until after the law was passed that limited prices to no more than a 10% increase per day. When stations were able to jack up prices to 4 or 5 bucks per gallon, at least there was some left for people who needed just enough to get out of the danger zone. Lately, everyone tops off their tanks even if they have enough to leave town, and we run out quick

This crisis has opened my eyes, unfortunately I took everything for granted. I am hoping this clears up in the next year.

Has anyone ordered from optics planet? They have decent prices but say 2-5 months. Anyone actually receive ammo from them in that time frame?

Has anyone ordered from optics planet? They have decent prices but say 2-5 months. Anyone actually receive ammo from them in that time frame?

Have you bothered to read all the threads about Optics Planet?

Go do a search, read all the threads and if you still really want to do business with Optics Planet, go for it...

Reactions: Ravenworks
Have you bothered to read all the threads about Optics Planet?

Go do a search, read all the threads and if you still really want to do business with Optics Planet, go for it...
I've done business with optics planet on countless occasions with no issues other than a few day delay here or there. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have issues with their ammo time estimate.

Well if they are showing a 2 to 5 month delay on your ammo order, IF it was me, I'd hang onto my money and get a bit more creative at hunting locally and on line for ammo when it comes available rather than handing them your money and hoping that in 2 to 5 months if ever, they are able to fill your order.

Well if they are showing a 2 to 5 month delay on your ammo order, IF it was me, I'd hang onto my money and get a bit more creative at hunting locally and on line for ammo when it comes available rather than handing them your money and hoping that in 2 to 5 months if ever, they are able to fill your order.
Roger that.
Someone did say something that resonated with me today. Todays gouge is tomorrows steal....reminds me of the prices in March when I was bitching about 40-50 cents for Winchester 55gr.

My plan was to order some and try to obtain more locally/online while the order takes its time being fulfilled.

Reactions: x2cross
Depending on your state, you may take a road trip out of the big city centers and into the country.
In North Texas, stuff is scarce in the big cities, but out in conservative rural towns, stuff is often still available.

Depending on your state, you may take a road trip out of the big city centers and into the country.
In North Texas, stuff is scarce in the big cities, but out in conservative rural towns, stuff is often still available.
I took a drive to a more Southern part of ohio...$949 for 1k Winchester 55gr...I just laughed and walked out. I'll have to keep searching.

My LGS in a rural area has had a few components (mainly powder) come in, but they just informed me that their back order for powder and primers from last April had been cancelled, and they were put on a notify list. I had asked about ordering some primers when they put in an order, and they said that they couldn't put any back orders in. Damn!

Do I need to build an addition on to the house for storage to stock up enough? Maybe park a conex box in the back yard to hold enough?

I say this as someone that did stock up, but I can't easily stock up enough to ride out 4 years. I can maybe ride out a year or so with what I consider 'stocked up'.

I cannot retake Paris with what I have, but perhaps I can secure a pound of brie and a baguette

I could live like a hoarder I guess and just have little paths through my house will ammo boxes stacked floor to ceiling. I would not consider that normal though.

I feel like I am in the minority here :(

I guess most posting here have 4-5 years of ammo on hand at all times? and The German has 15 to 20 years?
Well, back in 2017-2018 I bought ammo every week until I had 4 to 5 years worth.
You know when Federal 5.56 was $225@1K and CCI was $0.03
Since June alone,my ammo is worth 30k more than my annuities for the year.
Am I selling,no cause I don't need any more money.

I'll reply how I choose. I don't care about Alabama's law. There are many stupid, irrational, and/or immoral laws. Just look at the title of the law you reference - "unconscionable'...? Who gets to decide what is unconscionable? I also agree that this shouldn't be hard to understand, so why are you struggling? I am speaking to the underlying philosophy, not what some pencil neck in a state legislature writes on a piece of paper.
Come to Florida with your attitude and I assure you someone will beat your ass, its probably going to be some 80 year old broad from NY

Yet I'll bet all the idiot moralists going on about "evil gougers" would prefer nobody got anything rather than somebody use their initiative and put their money at risk to make a profit.

I mean it's not like the governor decided to get their ass in gear and personally get a bunch of generators to people who didn't have the foresight to plan ahead and get some, so why would they let anyone else do it....

But sure, folks love their "government protection"...

Just like the government recently "seized" a bunch of masks from some "evil gouger" and did anyone get to buy those masks at the "correct prices" or did the government keep them all for themselves......

That's why the free market is great sometimes the ability to buy your way out of a problem is a godsend. The ones who complain about $4-$5/gallon gas and $1500 generators are probably only complaining because they're too broke to afford either and if they can't afford it no one should be able to have it.

Reactions: x2cross
Strange thing is cabelas and bi-mart both had 9mm in stock today at $13.99 per 50. It lasted less than 10 minutes but the point is the prices were still decent ????

Come to Florida with your attitude and I assure you someone will beat your ass, its probably going to be some 80 year old broad from NY
Well, well. So the current state of America rears its ugly head on the 'Hide. Its not possible to disagree, we must issue threats. I pity you.

Last edited:
Well, well. So the current state of America rears its ugly head on the 'Hide. Its not possible to disagree, we must issue threats. I pity you.
I'm not issuing a threat, I'm telling you how the general population reacts to assholes.
I could care a less what happens to you.

In this time I wonder where he came up with more than 50 thousand rounds of M855? Only eighty cents each.

============================

M855

$800 per 1k (80cpr)

50k + available.

Located in Hampton Roads

In this time I wonder where he came up with more than 50 thousand rounds of M855? Only eighty cents each.

============================

M855

$800 per 1k (80cpr)

50k + available.

Located in Hampton Roads

Not uncommon. There are guys over on AKFiles that stock up by the pallet...literally. One guy said he has made $30K+ selling off some of his stash. Another gave a pallet of 5.56 to his buddy that works the gun shows when it was going for $1 a round..

Today's score.

20210210_094825.jpg

At $0.0625 a round 50$ per box.
My son got 2 520 rnd boxes of 223 and a box of the 22lr.

Academy had them.
My son were 4rth and fifth in line.
A local gun show scab ass reseller tried to jump line outside as we were being handed numbered tickets and I told him to get his ass back in the line.

We were marched inline into the store and the scab tried to cut 2 places in front of me again.
I got in his face and told him to get back in his fucking place.

The big "really big" guy in front of me turned and pulled his mask down to reveal a smile and said god damn old man way to go.

By the time the scab had a turn all the big bulk stuff was gone.

My wife will shoot all that 22lr in her club events, I told her happy Valentine's day.
My son will blow through that 1000 rnds of cheap stuff training people.

Another 1000 9mm 115gr box of bullets also found way into my reloading room. Lol

Today's score.

View attachment 7552296

Academy had them.
A local gun show scab ass reseller tried to jump line outside as we were being handed numbered tickets and I told him to get his ass back in the line.

We were marched inline into the store and the scab tried to cut 2 places in front of me again.

The big "really big" guy in front of me turned and pulled his mask down to reveal a smile and said god damn old man way to go.

My wife will shoot all that 22lr in her club events, I told her happy Valentine's day.

Another 1000 9mm 115gr box of bullets also found way into my reloading room.

Hey now!

the scabs got to put food on the table too!

They are doing everyone a favor and are only doing their part to enable the free market...

If all stores had put reasanable limmits to ammo sales when this crap started the prices at gunshows would not be controlled by scum.

And the 223 snagged was 29 cents a round lol.
It's crap but I can no longer afford to use my better components at that price for what's being done with it.

Last edited:
Today's score.

View attachment 7552296

Academy had them.

Another 1000 9mm 115gr box of bullets also found way into my reloading room. Lol

Glad you got your ammo at a great price. Unfortunately us younger folk can't get to the store during the week before everything has been grabbed. I stopped even looking after work as the shelves were clear of everything except turkey loads and 450 bushmaster.

Glad you got your ammo at a great price. Unfortunately us younger folk can't get to the store during the week before everything has been grabbed. I stopped even looking after work as the shelves were clear of everything except turkey loads and 450 bushmaster.

Thats why the "scabs" are playing a vital role in the free market. They give you access to what would be inaccessible.

They are doing you a favor buying up all the local ammo and selling it back to you at market driven prices.

Thats why the "scabs" are playing a vital role in the free market. They give you access to what would be inaccessible.

They are doing you a favor buying up all the local ammo and selling it back to you at market driven prices.

Meh to each their own. I'm not going to complain about someone making money off of selling during this time as I have as well.

I've noticed prices starting to drop marginally so as long as no new announcements or EO's happen we may be seeing a trend towards a price drop (using ammo seek as my reference).

Reactions: Snuby642
I don't feel bad about standing in line with 28 degree weather to get my wife ammo she will use all of in less than a year. For valentine's.

If I end up getting more ammo than I need for family friends are next to get taken care of.

Even the 9mm bullets will be loaded and shared with family.

If stores had started limiting purchasing sooner it would have been sorted out by now or at least more evenly available.

It would have made the reselling less profitable.

I'm still looking for cci sv because my little rifle likes it.

I don't feel bad about standing in line with 28 degree weather to get my wife ammo she will use all of in less than a year. For valentine's.

If I end up getting more ammo than I need for family friends are next to get taken care of.

Even the 9mm bullets will be loaded and shared with family.

If stores had started limiting purchasing sooner it would have been sorted out by now or at least more evenly available.

It would have made the reselling less profitable.

I'm still looking for cci sv because my little rifle likes it.

Definitely shouldn't feel bad. I'm just glad someone is getting it at normal prices. Once supply starts to catch up a little bit stores selling it at normal prices will cause the other stores to drop their price.
Hopefully the Fiocchi plant and Remington plant make a dent in the next 6-12 months.

The stores selling at pre-gouge pricing are building a stronger customer base.

I for one am not paying scab prices at the gun show and won't even go to a gun show till this shit stops.

Reactions: Ruger1300
Definitely shouldn't feel bad. I'm just glad someone is getting it at normal prices. Once supply starts to catch up a little bit stores selling it at normal prices will cause the other stores to drop their price.
Hopefully the Fiocchi plant and Remington plant make a dent in the next 6-12 months.
What happened to the Fiocchi plant? We know why Remington has been idle. What's the scoop on Fiocchi? Sorry, I'm out of touch I guess.

What happened to the Fiocchi plant? We know why Remington has been idle. What's the scoop on Fiocchi? Sorry, I'm out of touch I guess.
Supposedly they were or did build a new plant in Arkansas. Not sure of the status on that.

Those of us in The Army Jerry School of Ammunition Allocation will keep shooting through this stupidity, and when a product that costs $.20 to make sells for a 500% profit, that’s stupidity.

When things return to normal we will once again commence to stack it deep.

The stores selling at pre-gouge pricing are building a stronger customer base.

I for one am not paying scab prices at the gun show and won't even go to a gun show till this shit stops.

That's why I don't mind shopping at Academy. During the Sandy Hook/Obama ammo "shortage", Academy kept their prices at pre-stupid levels, put limits on them so more people could have an opportunity to purchase some, and kept ammo back so they could have some to sell to new gun buyers.

Nothing is going to change anytime soon! If people continue to pull money out of their pockets and pay these prices then the trend will continue. It also doesn’t help with the administration that we have in office right now!!!

Nothing is going to change anytime soon! If people continue to pull money out of their pockets and pay these prices then the trend will continue. It also doesn’t help with the administration that we have in office right now!!!
I had hoped that things would slow down but with the new stimulus checks coming I fear it's just starting.

Reactions: Peninsula Pounder
I'm not a huge fan of Sportsman's Warehouse, but stopped in there the other day and bought 147gr 9mm 50 rd box for $16.99, I didn't see a limit sign, but everyone just grabbed 2 boxes.... then stopped at a Pawn Shop in Covington and their 147gr was $49.99 for 50 :(