• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ammo recommendation for 16" Armalite AR10 carbine...

highstepper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
For now, i have to buy factory ammo but I'd like to start building up to reloading and I've read that the AMAXs are good for precision paper and for deer. What I don't know is what grain bullet I should look at.

Another thought is that I'd like to be able to develop my long distance skills and even be able to be "battery free" in my skillset by using things like a Mildot Master and an FDAC for firing solution calcs.

Thoughts...comments....ideas???

Thanks!

Amax

For now, i have to buy factory ammo but I'd like to start building up to reloading and I've read that the AMAXs are good for precision paper and for deer. What I don't know is what grain bullet I should look at.

Another thought is that I'd like to be able to develop my long distance skills and even be able to be "battery free" in my skillset by using things like a Mildot Master and an FDAC for firing solution calcs.

Thoughts...comments....ideas???

Thanks!

Like you I'm in the research mode. My *opinion*, take it with a big grain of salt, is that you can't get a bullet to be optimal as both a highly accurate round suitable for punching paper and at the same time be optimal for hunting with respectable expansion characteristics and minimal chance of fragmenting. The AMAX bullet was designed for accuracy, the jacket is rather thin and lacks any means to prevent it from pealing back during expansion to the point of fragmentation. Will it kill a deer, most certainly, but expect to lose a fair sized chunk of meat typically in the shoulder area as a result. For what it's worth the SST bullet has occasionally blown apart too, just look around on the Long Range Hunting web site.

Just my opinion based on what I've read and with no personal experience, I would recommend that you plan on a hunting round that will hold together and a specific target round unless the loss of some shoulder venison isn't a concern.

For accuracy start with Federal Gold Medal Match. For hunting I've seen impressive reports from the Federal Fusion/Speer Gold Dot line. There are so many options and each rifle will generally have its own preference it's hard/impossible to make a blanket recommendation.

It's been some time but the Nosler accubond performes well in regards to accuracy and hunting. Black Hills makes a 180 grain load. Every rifle will be different in regards to what it shoots. The Accubond and Fusion rounds are good as barrier rounds as well.

Are you running the infantry weight chrome lined barrel, or the stainless HB? I have the chrome lined barrel, and am getting a modest 1.25" group at 100yds with 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips. I Have run the high B.C. Lapua and Berger 155gr match bullets with better accuracy, and they carry more energy down range, but not a hunting bullet. I have found the lighter bullets perform the best from my AR10 carbine.