• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ammo shortage

There is a shortage of *everything* firearm related due to the tremendous number of people now arming themselves - local gun shops have cut their operating hours to minimum as they have no stock left and don't anticipate orders being filled any time soon. And of course all of these new gun owners need ammunition and magazines and all that so....it's all sold before it leaves the factory at this time.

I was at the LGS putting up some stuff that had been sitting in the Safe for years unused and now is the time to move those guns via consignment. While I was there (an hour) the counter guys were literally swamped with folks asking questions and wanting ammunition and additional magazines and wondering when there would be stock. Literally, there is nothing to buy. Anywhere...not literally but picking are slim and far between and if you don't have stuff now you likely won't get it for a while.

America, despite what the folks who want to disarm US say, wants to be armed. Badly and *Right Fucking Now!* and we needs to kinda ask ourselves why that is and what it means for America short term. These people are not buying guns because they are confident or feel safe. My Wife and I have hosted/lead a small CCL Group here the last few years where we all get together and share firearms and training tips - kind of a support group for friends and neighbors with guns. The number of new folks coming in is literally staggering. People who never thought they'd want a gun in the house are now arming themselves (or were before all the product got snapped up) and seeking training, ammunition, and advice. People who were pro Gun Control are now changing their minds and habits and acquiring firearms or will as soon as they can find stuff. Literally the 4 guns I put up for consignment were gone in 48 hours.

Been a shooter for 47 years. Never saw anything like this before. It is ominous.

VooDoo

from here going forward, your screen name should be “Sir Cum Stance”.....just saying.

regardless of the circumstance.
[/QUOT
from here going forward, your screen name should be “Sir Cum Stance”.....just saying.

regardless of the circumstance.

FUCKING spell check strikes again.
I accept the title like the asshat that posted it 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: myronman3
I’d like to add that not everyone has enough disposable income while paying for all their other shit to be hoarding 80,000 rds of stuff. Not to mention, as I said, some of us shoot more than we can stockpile. Otherwise something gives, either you collect ammo and don’t shoot and lose proficiency or your shoot and you lose Ammo unless you are a rich mofo that can afford to replenish thousands of rounds every month.

I’d also argue that this cannot he completely to do with new shooters. No way. You guys have any idea how many rounds Federal can pump out a day? Problem I heard with ammo at least is, lead or lack thereof. Every since Obama and his epa regs, we are supposedly completely reliant on foreign countries for all of our lead and due to the pandemic we’ll we ain’t getting any. Supposedly the fishing industry has been hit hard because of this as well. But for other firearm related crap? Nah I ain’t buying that it’s new shooters causing this much crap, unless the gov is the new shooter and they bought $3 trillion worth of gun parts so normal people couldn’t get any lol.

I’d like to add that not everyone has enough disposable income while paying for all their other shit to be hoarding 80,000 rds of stuff. Not to mention, as I said, some of us shoot more than we can stockpile. Otherwise something gives, either you collect ammo and don’t shoot and lose proficiency or your shoot and you lose Ammo unless you are a rich mofo that can afford to replenish thousands of rounds every month.

I’d also argue that this cannot he completely to do with new shooters. No way. You guys have any idea how many rounds Federal can pump out a day? Problem I heard with ammo at least is, lead or lack thereof. Every since Obama and his epa regs, we are supposedly completely reliant on foreign countries for all of our lead and due to the pandemic we’ll we ain’t getting any. Supposedly the fishing industry has been hit hard because of this as well. But for other firearm related crap? Nah I ain’t buying that it’s new shooters causing this much crap, unless the gov is the new shooter and they bought $3 trillion worth of gun parts so normal people couldn’t get any lol.

The way I see it I couldn't afford not to stockpile ammo during the past few years when it was cheap. The cost of the I own ammo has risen by $24,000 in the last 6 months.

Reactions: SilentStalkr

Yes, we heard all of this convoluted nonsense the last shortage. The simple truth is that shit is being snapped up before it hits the shelves - demand is exponentially increased due to long term gunners wanting to stay stocked and millions of new users smell "something" and want to be armed and are clamoring for stuff...mounts, ammunition, scopes, red dots. accessories. It's all being snapped up as fast as it can be produced.

There is no conspiracy....there simply is insufficient production to keep shit in stock. It has happened before and it's happening now. Sucks to be US. Ask yerself why this is happening and seek the answers truthfully. Millions are not buying firearms and ammunition and overwhelming the System just to be a pain in the ass. People are frightened and feel the need to have some means of defense. As stated before - my Wife and I run a small/local group of gun owners who work together to share information and firearms/training. We had 12 members and that has risen to 60 in the last few weeks.

Something is happening to frighten folks who were formerly agnostic to firearms and they now seek to be armed. Think about that for 10 minutes.

VooDoo

Yes, we heard all of this convoluted nonsense the last shortage. The simple truth is that shit is being snapped up before it hits the shelves - demand is exponentially increased due to long term gunners wanting to stay stocked and millions of new users smell "something" and want to be armed and are clamoring for stuff...mounts, ammunition, scopes, red dots. accessories. It's all being snapped up as fast as it can be produced.

There is no conspiracy....there simply is insufficient production to keep shit in stock. It has happened before and it's happening now. Sucks to be US. Ask yerself why this is happening and seek the answers truthfully. Millions are not buying firearms and ammunition and overwhelming the System just to be a pain in the ass. People are frightened and feel the need to have some means of defense. As stated before - my Wife and I run a small/local group of gun owners who work together to share information and firearms/training. We had 12 members and that has risen to 60 in the last few weeks.

Something is happening to frighten folks who were formerly agnostic to firearms and they now seek to be armed. Think about that for 10 minutes.

VooDoo

Snapped up by whom? I still have a hand in the industry and I’m telling you that dealers cannot even get crap to sale. Lots of companies don’t sell direct to customers. So, who is buying it all? Most go to a distributor first then to LGS. When distributors cannot even get stuff that tells me something is up other than people buying supply.

After talking to a few guys around town, I think one of the big problems happening at the moment is every dealer in the country is trying to order 2/3/4 times as much stuff as they did just a couple months ago.

For example, if my LGS sold 1 pallet of 556 in March, now he's ordering 5, because if can get it he'll sell it. So now everything is screwed up because every dealer in the country is doing the same thing.

My LGS told me that Federal said his order would be shipped in October - of 2021...

Snapped up by whom? I still have a hand in the industry and I’m telling you that dealers cannot even get crap to sale. Lots of companies don’t sell direct to customers. So, who is buying it all? Most go to a distributor first then to LGS. When distributors cannot even get stuff that tells me something is up other than people buying supply.
Companies have sold out their completed inventory, and are struggling to get components, and raw materials Some of which come from over seas (small pistol primer for example have almost completely disappeared). Tons of companies are running at fraction capacity and some have Even shut completely down over this plandemic. One link down in the supply chain shuts everything down. Not to mention the buddy system where certain people in the right friend groups can buy ammo directly from the manufacturer before it even gets the chance to hit the loading docks let alone store shelves.

Not to mention All the small mom and pop remanufacturers who have figured out instead of servicing their normal retailers at wholesale price they can divert a fraction to local shows, charge three times Normal retail and sell out in 4 hours. That kind of money is hard to turn down.

Companies have sold out their completed inventory, and are struggling to get components, and raw materials Some of which come from over seas (small pistol primer for example have almost completely disappeared). Tons of companies are running at fraction capacity and some have Even shut completely down over this plandemic. One link down in the supply chain shuts everything down. Not to mention the buddy system where certain people in the right friend groups can buy ammo directly from the manufacturer before it even gets the chance to hit the loading docks let alone store shelves.

I’m one of the people in the buddy system and Um I can’t get anything 9mm right now so I’m told, depending on what it is. Rifle stuff I can get, 9mm, not a chance so I’m told. 9mm seems to be the hardest thing to get right now.

I’m one of the people in the buddy system and Um I can’t get anything 9mm right now so I’m told, depending on what it is. Rifle stuff I can get, 9mm, not a chance so I’m told. 9mm seems to be the hardest thing to get right now.
I to have a pretty sweet deal, but until a large batch of small pistol primers can be found anything that requires them is out of the question.

So, you guys got Alliant RL-26 and AR-Comp and Hornady .264 147 ELD-M and small/large pistol/rifle primers and .224 FMJ 55 grain bullets on tap where you are? And Winchester 5.56 White Box and .22 LR in all makes and grades just for the taking only it's expensive?

I'll be right there....

VooDoo

Reactions: SilentStalkr

VooDoo
To expand on this last statement a moment. I wonder:
1) how many were formerly (presently?) aligned with the communist-marxist party (some still call them democrats)
2) how many will still vote for biden/harris, because they cannot open their mind up wide enough to understand the 2A (or any other A's), yet they want "protection." I'd be willing to bet between 35-50% of these new gun owners who have previously voted left, will likely do so again.

Such is the logic of the left. Just remember their mantra...Orange Man bad...that's it. Nothing about what COTUS/BoR says. Just Orange Man bad. Nothing about the future of America, the threats from China which are clear, dangerous and IMMEDIATE, just Orange Man Bad...Orange Man is an asshole. Nothing about policy whatsoever, nothing about COTUS, nothing about the Bill of Rights.

So, how many of these new gun owners fit into this category do you all think? And don't forget not all of them are doing it for self protection...how many are the militant wing of the left?

I guess I need to check the voter history of folks in our local CCL Support Group and deny help to and/or kick out anyone who doesn't meet current Ever Trumper criteria. Didn't think of that. Thanks for the heads up.

VooDoo

So, you guys got Alliant RL-26 and AR-Comp and Hornady .264 147 ELD-M and small/large pistol/rifle primers and .224 FMJ 55 grain bullets on tap where you are? And Winchester 5.56 White Box and .22 LR in all makes and grades just for the taking only it's expensive?

I'll be right there....

VooDoo
Plenty of white box and 22lr . Don’t know about your other stuff I wasn’t looking for it and I don’t reload but I’m sure the primers were gone.

Reloading is the way to go. Unfortunately, with my short attention span I know I would do something wrong or miss a step and blow myself up. Either while reloading or firing the bullet...

Try and find slow burn powder or lg primers tho... Fuck... ain't shit left anywhere

Buy direct from Federal at www.federalpremium.com. They have some stock available. I just bought Federal 124g 9mm for $18.99 for a box of 50.
Have you gotten an order confirmation email?

I placed an order straight from their website about 2 weeks ago and never got an email or anything. They ripped me off.
I tried contacting them but was not successful...

Yes, this is my impression...all that is currently available is not stuff I need or will need in coming months. There is some stuff but the "specific " stuff is nowhere to be found.

Shelves at the LGS are devoid of firearms. No ammunition and a 2 box limit for the range ammo sales. I'm good for months but it's still ominous and unprecedented for me in 47 years of shooting sports.

VooDoo

Shelves at the LGS are devoid of firearms. No ammunition and a 2 box limit for the range ammo sales. I'm good for months but it's still ominous and unprecedented for me in 47 years of shooting sports.

VooDoo

It looks to me about like the panic under Obama, but not quite as bad.
The LGS still has ARs at close to normal price.

Now if the Communist party steals the elections, then I expect a run that is unprecedented.

I picked up a pistol two weeks ago, at a LGS, and I was surprised how many AR's were on the walls, not a void space on any wall. But, that was two weeks ago. Mac

My LGS looks like the Nike store in downtown Minneapolis, without the broken windows - Cleaned out.

I picked up a pistol two weeks ago, at a LGS, and I was surprised how many AR's were on the walls, not a void space on any wall. But, that was two weeks ago. Mac

The main run seems to be on cheap (as in sub $600) pistols and ammunition.

ARs seem to still be in plentiful supply (if you have ammo) both new and used.
New pistols are hit and miss but often some of the higher end ones are still available (same goes for used).

As the guy at the LGS said, Everybody wants to stock up... with a cheap pistol.

Reactions: 10ring'r

I'll be right there....

VooDoo

source.gif

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
there are way worse monikers that i’ve seen hung around people’s necks. “Sir Cum Stance“ might even get a guy some action.

I thought about fixing that with an edit but sometimes you just have to own that shit 🤡
That and let's not sugar coat it that was a Biden moment in writing 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: myronman3
The only ammo I bought since March is 24 rounds of 30-06 black tips I found at a guns how for $1.67 each, and 4000 primers for $10/1000. Either one I couldn't pass up. Everything else, I GTG.

The main run seems to be on cheap (as in sub $600) pistols and ammunition.

ARs seem to still be in plentiful supply (if you have ammo) both new and used.
New pistols are hit and miss but often some of the higher end ones are still available (same goes for used).

As the guy at the LGS said, Everybody wants to stock up... with a cheap pistol.

This^^. And ARs, too. We have plenty of pistols and long guns available, but only the more expensive products.

Neighbor just bought a 243 and 308. Assuming bolt action. Said "plenty of ammo" at Cabelas but what's ammo to him, and what's ammo to us may be two different things. I'm sure there is still plenty of soft nose 308 and 243; but high BC ammo is gone for the most part. From what I can tell. Apparently , we're down to or nearing the "if it has a bullet, powder and primer I'm good stage."

^ if it comes down to nut cutting time, that soft point ammo will do pretty much everything that needs doing.

Hell I was shooting suppressed ~1000fps 22LR last night out of a pistol and was thinking about how much it would suck to get tagged by one. I sure as hell am not volunteering to stand in front of 308 unless someone's throwing it at me.

You know, I got started reloading with an old timer who took me under his wing. First loads were cast from wheelweights and boat ballast. Killed a lot of animals with throw away components and a little bit of work. It may be an option for some.

Last edited:
You know, I got started reloading with an old timer who took me under his wing. First loads were cast from wheelweights and boat ballast. Killed a lot of animals with throw away components and a little bit of work. It may be an option for some.

If you don't have primers and powders stored up then no it won't be an option.

If you don't have primers and powders stored up then no it won't be an option.
That’s very true. But I have used pistol powders in rifle cases to very good effect and extended a can of powder to damn near forever. It can reduce the crucial item for the most part to primers and extends your supply. At least your scrounging for only one thing.

Reactions: roamin
Meh- .50 cal flintlock. Who needs stinking primers anyway. That's for pansies.

axsi7OZ.jpg

However my wife get's pissed when she see's the pillow sheets cut up for patching.

Reactions: wh20crazy
Been watching the box box stores, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Scheels, ect. Picked up a few boxes of 9mm Sig elite vcrown 124gr for a decent price...just because. From what I have seen, the big box stores arent raping the prices (yes, capitalism). But internet sellers are a different story...

Problem is, stock goes fast. Check a couple times a day as there are some reasonable deals still to be had.

Yeah, I lost my last handle :(

That’s very true. But I have used pistol powders in rifle cases to very good effect and extended a can of powder to damn near forever. It can reduce the crucial item for the most part to primers and extends your supply. At least your scrounging for only one thing.

Just take some Crayola Crayons and cut them down they'll fit in AR mags.

20200830_182339.jpg

^This. If you time it right or just get lucky, I’ve found 9mm and 45acp at pre-panic prices at big box stores. Usually it’s mid-week in the morning though... reloading supplies included.

I
Been watching the box box stores, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Scheels, ect. Picked up a few boxes of 9mm Sig elite vcrown 124gr for a decent price...just because. From what I have seen, the big box stores arent raping the prices (yes, capitalism). But internet sellers are a different story...

Problem is, stock goes fast. Check a couple times a day as there are some reasonable deals still to be had.

Yeah, I lost my last handle :(
I have noticed the same thing too. Academy sports still has the same prices as pre Covid. But they only get in like a case twice a week. Limit of 2. Gotta be lucky and quick.

That said, some dude is trying to sell 5000 small pistol primers for $600 near me. Little 350% mark up. Anyone actually paying that? Sheesh.