• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ammunition maintenance

VIPER5051

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
i was reading a book on the history of snipers and ran accross something odd. it said that snipers used to polish their ammo back in WWI. i can see the advantages in feeding but does it help accuracy? if so what would you use to polish ammo? hopefully i put this in the right section as ii just joined. thank you in advance.

Re: Ammunition maintenance

trench warfare beget the use of wooden bullets.....so maybe some wood polish was in order from time to time.........

Depends.

If the ammo was old or poorly kept and corroded badly I could see it. However polishing match ammo might actually be a bad thing. If you get the cases too smooth or use a polish that acts as a lubricant then you can increase bolt thrust because the case can't grip the chamber walls when it swells under pressure.

Since a lot of the old polish contains bee's wax maybe its a waterproofing method??

In Vietnam we would paint around the bullet at the neck and over the primer with nail polish because of the dampness and humidity.

I still do that with the ammo I have in my side arm magazines.

I don't know about WWI, but it must be something that the real snipery types do because Berringer did it in Sniper
wink.gif

Zaino is the only way to go, bullets will be so shiny it blind the enemy before they get hit!

Zaino Brothers is the only way to go for cars...I assume the reference was to waxing the ammo to keep water out, but I'm just guessing.

Ok here goes ww1 trenchs dirty rats gas lots of mud I think they had to take care of there ammo we as people today can not relate what those guys seen and did there I said it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pale horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok here goes ww1 trenchs dirty rats gas lots of mud I think they had to take care of there ammo we as people today can not relate what those guys seen and did there I said it </div></div>

+1... Pretty much what I was thinking of. From what I've seen, WW1 was not a fun place to be. My maternal grandfather told me that he had a time when his feet weren't dry for several weeks at a time. Every time it rained the trenches became a mud hole from the ponding of the rain water. He said that the water keeping the feet wet caused a lot of problems for a lot of the men over there. I have seen on TV and in books where "trenchfoot" was a real danger to loosing a foot or leg.

My vote is to keep the ammo clean and maybe better water resistant.

thanks. i figured it wouldnt be anything all that substantial but it always bothered me. i have some relatively dirty milsurp ammo for my Mosin Nagant that i thought about cleaning up(i am waiting to get enough money to buy all the supplies i need to reload ammo myself). i have heard that it would be a bad idea to put loaded ammo in a brass tumbler but anyone know an easy way to do alot of ammo?

WWi Brit ammo used a silver coloured metal for the bullet- used to grow verdegries real quick. Sniping was seldom at long range but keeping ammo clean was a real effort (Great grandfather used a .500 Jefferies for anti sniping supression-The Brits used many colonial hunters for this job). Good aircrew used to chamber check every round they loaded into belts or drums...sometimes as much as 10% wouldn't chamber! Have photo's from east Africa where my grandfather was W. Bells gunner...showing them checking the ammo and also how much of it was 'scrap'!

Interesting bit of history there - thanks for posting that!

I use a headspace gauge to check all of my reloads which will be shot in competition, which is a lot easier than checking them in a chamber.

Actually, I check factory handgun loads, too, because an autoloading pistol may have function problems with marginal cartridges which a bolt gun will not.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...and they wonder why we keep coming back to the Hide...

thanks for all the info everyone. by the way the book i read it in was "Out of nowhere : a history of the military sniper" by martin pegler. it is a good read if you ever get the chance. goes from the renaisance to modern day and has a lot of cool info. i am really starting to love this site!
smile.gif