• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

An idea for ballistic calibration

JB.IC

Jackass of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
Imagine a Labradar and a 2mile Target Vision camera interfacing with each other. The Labradar supplies the initial velocity, user specified distance, and a TOF counter. Once the Labradar is triggered, the TOF counter starts. Once the Target Vision camera registers an impact on the target, the TOF counter stops.
With some software manipulation, the Labradar outputs a BC for the given Distance and TOF. This could possibly allow users to get a BC calibration for where supersonic speeds ends and a BC for transonic.

I’m just spit balling an idea so if you aerospace physics nerds can tell me why that won’t work, go ahead :p

I’ve already brain stormed some issues with time delay and what not but let’s pretend that would work.

Your going to need something a little more sophisticated than a Labradar to 'see' the bullet for 2 miles.

I don't think the OP was referring to the Labradar seeing the bullet throughout its flight. But instead using the Labradar sensors at the firing point including shot start time and velocity. Then having an additional set of sensors in the target cam.

Could BC be calculated from having muzzle velocity, terminal velocity at target, TOF and distance to target?

I don't think the OP was referring to the Labradar seeing the bullet throughout its flight. But instead using the Labradar sensors at the firing point including shot start time and velocity. Then having an additional set of sensors in the target cam.

Could BC be calculated from having muzzle velocity, terminal velocity at target, TOF and distance to target?

This is what I mean. If you know the initial velocity, distance/displacement, and TOF, then you can calculate final velocity. I’m assuming if you know initial velocity and final velocity, you can derive a BC out of it.

One problem. BC varies with velocity. So your calculated BC is good for one distance.
This is true. But, The OP just wants to calibrate his external ballistics solution. So, this will work for calibration.

The real benefit would be to determine the consistency of a particular combination. Given good environmentals; the results would be useful for finding the best bullets and loads.

I built a GPS based rig to do just that. The GPS provides closely correlated timing between distant points.

Cheers,

Imagine a Labradar and a 2mile Target Vision camera interfacing with each other. The Labradar supplies the initial velocity, user specified distance, and a TOF counter. Once the Labradar is triggered, the TOF counter starts. Once the Target Vision camera registers an impact on the target, the TOF counter stops.
With some software manipulation, the Labradar outputs a BC for the given Distance and TOF. This could possibly allow users to get a BC calibration for where supersonic speeds ends and a BC for transonic.

I’m just spit balling an idea so if you aerospace physics nerds can tell me why that won’t work, go ahead :p

I’ve already brain stormed some issues with time delay and what not but let’s pretend that would work.

Oehler 89

They beat you to it and does more but not cheap

This is doable. However, as Mr Tooley mentioned, the BC output would be limited to that specific range (at the given atmospheric conditions).

It would be far easier and cheaper to fire a sighter, observe impact then tweak the numbers in your calculator then repeat if necessary.

I understand this isn’t the point of your discussion but the output would be the same.

Remember: Bullets don’t lie