• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Another 30-06 load question

SWThomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Fort Lee, VA
I'm currently loading up some 30-06 to test out this weekend. I'm using Lapua brass, H4350, 175g SMKs, and Fed 210M primers. I'm currently at 58.5g of powder and it looks like I'm right at the point of compressing the load. Hodgdon data shows 59.0g as max with no "C". I know Lapua is thick and that's probably why it's filling up quicker. I just wanna make sure I'm safe. Anyone tried this combo and if so, did you encounter any issues with max load?

Another 30-06 load question

I did some load work up with the 178amax and H4350, Fed 210 primers and Lapua brass. I actually started quite a bit lower than that and only went up to 57.5gr. I saw maybe one slight ejector plunger mark but no real cratering or flattening. At 57.5 I was up pretty close if not over 2800fps out of a 22" barrel so I did not see a point going any further.

I actually ended up settling back at ~56.2 gr at 2700fps.

Not the same bullet but I've read numerous accounts of being able to share load data so if you are starting off with new brass you may want to start off lower if you don't already have some loaded at lower charges.

SWThomas,

I have no input on that load...57.5gr H-4350 got me over 2900ft/s out of a 26" 30-06. I think i was in the mid 2800s w my 22" 30-06 AR with the same load. Both loads were shot with Korean surplus brass. There were no pressure signs in the 26" bolt gun, but the semi-auto has pressure signs...i guess it depends on your chamber as well as the brass.

I've not had an issue with slow burning powders in my .308 or 30.06's with compressed powder loads.

What I have seen, just 3 or 4 times, is the bullet rising back up out of the case neck. Every now and then, you have a case with a thinner neck (or something) that results in less the needed tension on the bullet and the compressed powder load will push the bullet back up out of the neck.

I've not had an issue with slow burning powders in my .308 or 30.06's with compressed powder loads.

What I have seen, just 3 or 4 times, is the bullet rising back up out of the case neck. Every now and then, you have a case with a thinner neck (or something) that results in less the needed tension on the bullet and the compressed powder load will push the bullet back up out of the neck.

That's mainly what I was concerned with.

I know Lapua is thick and that's probably why it's filling up quicker.

I had heard that too, but I just finished analyzing some 30-06 cases that I fired in my rifle with strange results. I have federal cases and lapua case. The federal cases weighed on average 201.51gr + - .53gr and the Lapua cases weighted 197.5gr + - .31gr. The case volume H2O weight was 69.81gr + - .07gr for the federal and 70.49gr + - .21gr for the Lapua.

So the Lapua cases weighed less than the federal and had more case volume. They were fired from the same rifle, weighed on the same scale and I was careful to be consistent with the meniscus level of the water. The statistics were taken with and N of 10 cases. I was a little surprised to find that the federal case volume was extremely consistent while the lapua had three times the standard deviation. If I judged the lapua cases by weight then I would think they were more consistent, but the volume is the critical factor for the internal ballistics. strange results, huh?

I had heard that too, but I just finished analyzing some 30-06 cases that I fired in my rifle with strange results. I have federal cases and lapua case. The federal cases weighed on average 201.51gr + - .53gr and the Lapua cases weighted 197.5gr + - .31gr. The case volume H2O weight was 69.81gr + - .07gr for the federal and 70.49gr + - .21gr for the Lapua.

So the Lapua cases weighed less than the federal and had more case volume. They were fired from the same rifle, weighed on the same scale and I was careful to be consistent with the meniscus level of the water. The statistics were taken with and N of 10 cases. I was a little surprised to find that the federal case volume was extremely consistent while the lapua had three times the standard deviation. If I judged the lapua cases by weight then I would think they were more consistent, but the volume is the critical factor for the internal ballistics. strange results, huh?

Yup, pretty weird.