• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Retro stocked rifle build

brdeano

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2006
Tawas MI
USMC return stock................200$
Used 223 action...................225$
Rock Group Buy barrel............250$
Smith bill...........................135$
A used Leupold 3.5-10x40.........325$
Set of Talley LW's...................35$
2 bipod studs from SDWhirlwind to keep from having to hack up original Wichitas's...30$

DSC_1216.jpg

Another Return stocked 223AI with a 2 week turn around from the smith...priceless!!!

DSC_1206.jpg

Re: Another Retro stocked rifle build

apart from all these adds..... nice rifle
smile.gif
it took me a minute to find it!

nice!!! Jealous!

where the hell are you finding a return stock fo $200??

great rifle brad,

curious as to barrel length, did you go 22in again or cut this one shorter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where the hell are you finding a return stock for $200??</div></div>

That's what we paid for them from McMillan a few years back.

The one's with no bottom metal were $150. IIRC

SO, that one is 22". I'm going shorter on a lightweight 223AI build.

Another great looking build Brad and that 22" tube looks good with the M40 stock. Heck I've got $225 just in bottom metal for my return stock and you found an action for that - lucky guy.

What kind of velocities are you getting with the .223AI in it?

Thanks Buck, I haven't even had a chance to shoot this rifle yet. My old one (also was a 22"er) would easily do 3050fps with moly'd 75 Amax's and that speed/pressure was easy on brass. I had 16 firings on my oldest lot of brass and never had to FL size it and the pockets were still tight. I formed a lot of brass with my old 223AI and this one is able to chamber that same brass snugly. It won't be too long and I'll get a coat of moly in the barrel and then stretch it out and see how it does.

It's nice getting out to 1K with cheap bullets, cheap brass, and only 26gr of powder.

Nice rifle! I still can't believe I did not buy one of the returns when they were $200, had other projects on the front burner then-Oh well....

Bet it'll shoot just as good as the Big 3 on this site for a 1/4 of the price.

Mine should be done shortly...

Excellent quality, Excellent turn around time, Excellent CS, Excellent price.... Love it. grin.

You guys are sure protective of your smith, Can't say as I blame you if word gets out you will have a wait like the "Big 3".

Brian