• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another TargetMaster owner

rmercado

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2011
Austin, Texas
Worked with Allan to get a TargetMaster to me in Texas. He was great to work with and the accuracy of the whole setup is amazing (I'm using a 5-0-5 scale). I charged up 50 rounds with ease. I'm so pleased.

If you are using a balance beam scale to weigh every charge, this would be a great addition to your setup.

Re: Another TargetMaster owner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmercado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Worked with Allan to get a TargetMaster to me in Texas. He was great to work with and the accuracy of the whole setup is amazing (I'm using a 5-0-5 scale). I charged up 50 rounds with ease. I'm so pleased.

If you are using a balance beam scale to weigh every charge, this would be a great addition to your setup. </div></div>
Who is Allan and how do I get one?

M5Sensor2.jpg

DSC02642.jpg

Yes, Allan is a great guy. I have had mine for about 2yrs and with a Scott Parker Tuned Lyman M5 scale I am extremely please.

Set is up on a nice piece of granite and you will be good to go.

Terry

Great pictures Terry, I hope folks can see that the system is automated. The powered trickling is halted by the optical sensor and accuracy is much better than 0.1 grains. I think your last video showed something like +/- 0.02 grains precision. That was the one that closed it for me. Like I mentioned before, if you measure every charge and have a beam scale, this makes trickling so much nicer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
M5Sensor2.jpg

DSC02642.jpg

Yes, Allen is a great guy. I have had mine for about 2yrs and with a Scott Parker Tuned Lyman M5 scale I am extremely please.

Set is up on a nice piece of granite and you will be good to go.

Terry </div></div>
Terry, Now youre just showing off.

No, I only have the one. The other I setup for a buddy.

Terry

My TargetMaster in action!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OpcFRox4aY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OpcFRox4aY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great Terry!

Do you think it would work on my old 304?
Maybe make a bracket for the sensor?

Do you adjust the light sensor up and down until it throws right?
</div></div>

You should post a pic of the 304, I bet most guys on here have never seen one. That was my first scale, kick myself in the ass for selling it.
Never did trust bying a used one later.

For the cost of this targetmaster, wouldn't a RCBS Chargemaster be easier?

Milo, I went back and forth on that decision right there ChargeMaster vs powered trickling. I just wanted better performance than 0.1 grains accuracy. I know that people have gotten them throwing spot on, but the scale is the limiting factor. I've read many time that you need lab grade digital scale to beat a good beam scale. At the end, it's what you want - I went with a beam scale and a TargetMaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmercado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Milo, I went back and forth on that decision right there ChargeMaster vs powered trickling. I just wanted better performance than 0.1 grains accuracy. I know that people have gotten them throwing spot on, but the scale is the limiting factor. I've read many time that you need lab grade digital scale to beat a good beam scale. At the end, it's what you want - I went with a beam scale and a TargetMaster. </div></div>

I surely wasn't bashing anybody's equipment, I just like keeping it simple. Getting the the job done with what you have is the main thing!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great Terry!

</div></div>

Yes, Allan sent me photos of a guy in Australia that had one setup awhile back. So Yes it does work with the big 304 scale.

As for what it looks like here is a link to "A RCBS 304 Scale on Craigslist"!

Allan is on the hide and maybe he can post a photo of the 304 setup as I have lost the photos.

Terry

As for adjusting the TargetMaser. Yes, you raise or lower the optical sensor to get it to shut off at you zero.

</div></div>
The Targetmaster will work with the RCBS 304 but it will need a bit of modifying - 20 years ago I offered a bracket for the 304 but these grand old scales are quite rare now, especially in the UK.
Here are a couple being used with the TM.

Thanks Terry and 1066.

It seems like a superbly accurate as well as productive system.
The 304 should only add to the accuracy.
BTW I still have another brand new 304 in the box!
smile.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Milo-2,</span>
The Chargemaster doesn't provide near the same level of accuracy as the Targetmaster system. My bud has a chargemaster and when compared to the Denver digital the results where much less than expected. The Denver digital cuts the BS pretty much instantly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
smile.gif

</div></div>
If you wanted to go the Targetmaster/304 way then you would have the best results by setting the sensor up so that the damper blade breaks the photo-beam, the further away from the knife-edge the better the results will be.

The 304 is truly a Rolls-Royce scale, rarely seen and commands a high price when they do pop up. However, the Dial-o-gram scale (Same type of scale but measuring in Grams) is quite common, often seen in school labs etc.
As we all know, if you are looking for accurate ammunition, consistency is the name of the game. It dosn't matter if your scale is marked in grains, grams or apples as long as you have a way of measuring your initial charge.
If you have a cheap digital scale to weigh and set your initial charge, say 42.8grns, just dump that in the dial-o-gram pan and zero the scales. Every charge weighted on those scales will be spot-on. It wouldn't matter if there were no markings on the scale at all, the scale becomes a mass comparator, every charge would be exactly the same - you just need to make up a check weight of your choosen load.

I have a buddy using a Dial-o-Gram. You just get a good set of grain check weights and use thow to zero you scale at the desired charge weight. Once you got it set just go to town.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Terry and 1066.

smile.gif

<span style="font-weight: bold">Milo-2,</span>
The Chargemaster doesn't provide near the same level of accuracy as the Targetmaster system. My bud has a chargemaster and when compared to the Denver digital the results where much less than expected. The Denver digital cuts the BS pretty much instantly.
</div></div>

Want to sell the NIB 304, it would be fun to have it for nostalgia?
In retrospect, my 304 that I bought in 1984 should have read in grams.
wink.gif

John F. Orn
Thanks for the intrest in the Targetmaster but when I try to repy to you I get an invalid email address.
Can you please try again at [email protected]

Milo-2,

My 304's are RCBS branded and are in grains...I believe you can still get the 304 in grams from Ohaus or similar manufacture.
I have been using the 304 for so long I can't stand anything else for anything less than and BR spec chamber.

So no thank you....Not to mention you could buy a new Denver digital (or Santorious or whatever they are called now) for what the NIB 304 is worth!

Peace