• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Anschutz 54 Tune Up.

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    This is one of the first rifles I ever built. It's close to 11 years old now. Customer tracked me down a few months ago and said it has a sick barrel. Something got in there and fuggered the bore. So it's in for a new "tomato stake."

DSC_0005.jpg

I had threaded this action. (factory Annies are pressed/pinned barrel tennons)Somewhere the barrel I'd fitted had been pulled off and the re-installation didn't go very well. The threads are a little rough. I'll be bringing old girl up to more current standards this morning.

DSC_0006.jpg

Off to the mill!

DSC_0001.jpg

Here's the various operations. Thread milling gives me some additional capabilities that aren't really feasable in the lathe. (not without live tooling anyway and that's crazy money!)

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

That's a little more like it. This action won't tolerate another goof like that. The threads are getting into that gray area on the major. Starting to get closer to the scope rail dovetail than I'd normally allow. I think we'll still be just fine. The interruption down in the bore is where the factory cross pins the barrel. These result in an interrupted thread which although is a bit fugly looking doesn't seem to hurt anything. I went back in with the tool I normally use for helical fluting bolts to sort of wipe the edges where the thread breaks. It's not a very elegant solution, but it doesn't really have to be. I just want some assurance the thing won't wipe a bur into the joint and cause a "yeast infection" when screwing the barrel on/off.

DSC_0011.jpg

More to come!

Re: Anschutz 54 Tune Up.

Gittin a few digits from the action so I can gin up a program for the barrel stuff.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Barrel tennon is all done. Now onto chambering the bugger.

DSC_0004-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

We'll be using the Eley Reamer today.

Very cool, as always. Thanks for sharing your expertise. Gives a layperson like myself a neat glimpse of the precision gunsmithing world.

Thanks!

Here's the remainder on this bugger:

Crown: Nothing special. Just a straight 11* with a turned cylinder for the barrel tuner.

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Setting up and cutting the extractor cuts and the relief for the shell holder that slips under the breech. I first indicate the action "square" to the table off the tang. This gets it plenty close for something this simple. Then I clamp a gauge block to the opposite end of the barrel and zero it with an angle finder.

Then find center of the barrel with and edge finder and touch the tool off to the top of the cylinder. Don't forget to divide the flute length in half! (I've never done this. . .
    smile.gif
    )

From there it's kind of a "feel deal" to get the right mix between clearance on the extractor shell holder without going too far and making the breech paper thin. This will lead to bulged chambers over time. BAD!

DSC_0022.jpg

Then flip her over and cut the relief for the shell holder and last but not least the clearance hole for the front guard screw. Can't forget that! For light work like this I just stick a rougher in the drill chuck. It's safe for plunging on a broken surface like this (threaded) but for anything else a guy better stick it in a collet or tool holder.

DSC_0024.jpg

Now onto the chamber engraving and my "propaganda".
    smile.gif

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

Here she is mocked up. I'll have to work on the stock a bit to get the cylinder (what's left of it) to clear the bedding from the old barrel.

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

I think I'm gonna let this one float and see how she does. Here's the bedding. A decade old almost and still going. It's a little rough on the edges but still looks very serviceable. It's nowhere near what I'm doing now, but its kinda' cool to see "the old days" once in awhile to remind ones self that the path seems to get a little smoother over time. The carbon work was me too. This one's been painted since I built it, but whoever did it didn't do too bad a job. Could have been masked off a touch better but all in all not too shabby. I'll give it a good rubbin before it goes back to get the orange peel out of the paint.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

I'm outa here! Gnite and thanks fer lookin

C

Pretty much wrapped up now. Just a buttplate and a little fluff n buff on stuff to make her pretty again.

C. Dixon- Thank you for all the hard work you have done on my rifle you have featured on this forum. Looking foward to it arriving here so I can shoot it to see how well everything comes togeather. Do you have any instructions on how to clean and take care of this beauty. Will be sending another rifle for you to work your ju-ju on after the holidays. Thanks again for all the work. Delta 1

Good news!

I shot this bugger today in COR BON ammuntion's test tunnel. They were kind enough to allow me to use it. Very nice as it saved me an hour of driving and 20* weather.

It's a shooter. The 100 yard group for record measured right at .200" for elevation and around .400" for windage. The tunnel is tougher than one would think. The cold air in the tunnel mixes with the warm air being drawn in by the fans. This creates one hell of a mirage to try and look through. I've seen over a minute changes in target position just by sitting behind the scope and watching the aiming point move in relation to the reticle.

Still, a 100 yard group holding less than a half minute of elevation on a 22LR is pretty dern good. I'm happy.

I only had time to shoot 5 record shots as there was a line of folks waiting on me to get the hell out of the way. I'd of rather shot ten but oh well. I think my cst will be pleased.

C

Here's the paper.

Bottom left is the record group. I'll never be guilty of being a stellar shooter and the little "orpan" at 12 o clock proves it! (bastage!)

Anyways, I think it'll prove to be a good one and will do what the customer needs just fine.

C

GARRISON.jpg