• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any 8.6 Blackout Builds here yet?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Hey boys,

Just finished ordering all my parts for an 8.6 Blackout bolt gun.
    • Faxon 16” 1 in 3 fast twist barrel
    • Mack Bros BDL Action
    • McMillan A1-3
    • Badger M5 DBM
    • Trigger Tech trigger
    • Badger EFR
    • Nightforce 2.5-20X50
    • Will use an AAC Titan 338 can with thread adapter.

Plan is to hunt pigs with 300gn subs, and shoot LR steel.

Should be a fun rifle. I’ll post pics and groups when I get it together. 🤙

Anyone else here built one?

Not built but in parts collection mode. Probably won’t have it ready until fall.

Bartlein 7 twist 16.5” Carbon barrel
    Anti-x
    Trigger Tech
    Manners

300-350gr subs at 300 yards at around 13 mils. Lot of fun.
    That was my thoughts as well!
    There’s something very therapeutic with ringing steel at distance with a suppressed subsonic rifle!

Hey boys,

• Mack Bros BDL Action
    • McMillan A1-3
    • Badger M5 DBM
    • Trigger Tech trigger
    • Badger EFR
    • Nightforce 2.5-20X50

I have a Sig Cross with a Mos-Tek 1:6.5 twist. I mainly shoot the 350gr Maker Rex and 300gr SMK.

Attachments

• IMG_5676.jpeg
      IMG_5676.jpeg
      762.4 KB · Views: 412
    • IMG_5585.jpeg
      IMG_5585.jpeg
      630.2 KB · Views: 392
    • IMG_5481.jpeg
      IMG_5481.jpeg
      990.4 KB · Views: 394
    • 69980631224__F06B3971-3A90-45A6-9A1C-4CE6AEB098F3.jpeg
      69980631224__F06B3971-3A90-45A6-9A1C-4CE6AEB098F3.jpeg
      612.3 KB · Views: 364
    • IMG_5363.jpeg
      IMG_5363.jpeg
      717 KB · Views: 389
    • IMG_5360.jpeg
      IMG_5360.jpeg
      571.7 KB · Views: 372
    • IMG_5185.jpeg
      IMG_5185.jpeg
      640.7 KB · Views: 384
    • IMG_5186.jpeg
      IMG_5186.jpeg
      589 KB · Views: 391
    • IMG_5572.jpeg
      IMG_5572.jpeg
      218.3 KB · Views: 412
    Not trying to poopoo anyone's build. Just asking for perspective. I kinda went down the rabbit hole of 8.6 for a bolt gun but then I realized. If I wanna throw a big piece of metal down range, why not just build a bolt action 458 socom. I need to buy a bigger can if I get a 8.6 so might as well get a 50 cal size can

Not trying to poopoo anyone's build. Just asking for perspective. I kinda went down the rabbit hole of 8.6 for a bolt gun but then I realized. If I wanna throw a big piece of metal down range, why not just build a bolt action 458 socom. I need to buy a bigger can if I get a 8.6 so might as well get a 50 cal size can
    That works too!…buuuut, I don't know of any longish for subsonics range capable bullets that are in .45 cal that will expand, at least to my knowledge. The BC’s in the .338 help with slinging the subs passed 150y to 200y relatively easy in comparison.

I bailed on 1:3 twist once I saw the reports of supers coming apart and destroying cans. Just be aware of what you’re slinging. Solids should be ok in supers. Probably bonded but damn it’s risky.

I don’t want to just throw a big piece of metal down range; I want to accurately shoot a high bc projectile at subsonic velocity and remain 1-2 moa or better past 500-600yds.

Of course I have better options to shoot distance with, this is just a fun project.

I bailed on 1:3 twist once I saw the reports of supers coming apart and destroying cans. Just be aware of what you’re slinging. Solids should be ok in supers. Probably bonded but damn it’s risky.
    I have zero interest in shooting supers. The 1:3 stabilizing characteristics for high bc subs is the only reason I would consider this caliber. Super quiet, super accurate. Anything more than that, almost any other .338 loading is superior.

I’m with you there buddy! Here’s 350gr Makers opening up mid flight. Dont go passed 1060 fps with those.

Attachments

• IMG_7285.jpeg
      IMG_7285.jpeg
      259.6 KB · Views: 132
    • IMG_7277.jpeg
      IMG_7277.jpeg
      247.6 KB · Views: 133
    I have zero interest in shooting supers. The 1:3 stabilizing characteristics for high bc subs is the only reason I would consider this caliber. Super quiet, super accurate. Anything more than that, almost any other .338 loading is superior.
    I agree, the main draw to the 8.6 is subsonic use but, I've had some good luck with 160gr Barnes TTSX getting sub moa accuracy even with a 1:3. Does give you some options if need be, I dunno…incase a bear shows up on your elk kill or something like that. 😳

Reactions: Nostradumbass
    That works too!…buuuut, I don't know of any longish for subsonics range capable bullets that are in .45 cal that will expand, at least to my knowledge. The BC’s in the .338 help with slinging the subs passed 150y to 200y relatively easy in comparison.

Maybe I'm not understanding BC; but if your shooting sub sonic, BC doesn't really matter does it? At sub velocities, maintained velocity is more of a matter of momentum isn't it?

Maybe I'm not understanding BC; but if your shooting sub sonic, BC doesn't really matter does it? At sub velocities, maintained velocity is more of a matter of momentum isn't it?
    It matters every bit as much. Retained velocity also equals retained energy. Take a 300gr .45 cal and compare it to a 300gr .338 and you’ll see that energy as you get further in distance bleeds off rapidly for the lower BC projectiles. If your hunting ranges are short then go for whichever you like but if there’s a chance you want to stretch that distance the BC is important. Another easy comparison is a 150gr 9mm vs a 150gr 300 BLK at the same velocity. Which one retains the most energy? At every distance beyond the muzzle the 300 Blk beats the 9mm. This is pretty much the same with the 8.6 Blk vs the .458 Socom with an added twist…literally.

Last edited:
    Finished up my bolt build a month or so ago. It's a bit of a Franken Gun. Started with a doner Savage 10 Youth 7-08. Put a Mos-Tek 12.5" 1.3 twist on it. Had an MDT Chasis I bought years ago on a Black Friday discount. I decided to put my new Arken EPL4 4-16 on it for glass. I love this gun. It is more accurate than I expected for 12.5" easy sub MOA with Gorilla ammo. I will start upgrading it soon. Need a better trigger and grip. I ordered a Tromix compensator while I research
    IMG_1982.jpeg
    which suppressor I will go with. (Ruged Alsken 360 or Q pork Chop are at the top right now)

Finished up my bolt build a month or so ago. It's a bit of a Franken Gun. Started with a doner Savage 10 Youth 7-08. Put a Mos-Tek 12.5" 1.3 twist on it. Had an MDT Chasis I bought years ago on a Black Friday discount. I decided to put my new Arken EPL4 4-16 on it for glass. I love this gun. It is more accurate than I expected for 12.5" easy sub MOA with Gorilla ammo. I will start upgrading it soon. Need a better trigger and grip. I ordered a Tromix compensator while I researchView attachment 8119466 which suppressor I will go with. (Ruged Alsken 360 or Q pork Chop are at the top right now)
    I have the Rugged Alaskan TI in purgatory at the moment. Seems to be a great option based on the specs alone.

I have the Rugged Alaskan TI in purgatory at the moment. Seems to be a great option based on the specs alone.
    I originally started with the standard Rugged Alaskan and Q Pork Chop as my top contenders. Then the Rugged TI was announced at shot show. It weighs nothing and should be an excellent fit for this round. I keep waiting for them to hit the street so I can watch some reviews. Q still has not released the 5/8x28 XL Cherrie Bomb. They only offer the M18 version.

I originally started with the standard Rugged Alaskan and Q Pork Chop as my top contenders. Then the Rugged TI was announced at shot show. It weighs nothing and should be an excellent fit for this round. I keep waiting for them to hit the street so I can watch some reviews. Q still has not released the 5/8x28 XL Cherrie Bomb. They only offer the M18 version.
    I have 5/8x24 cherry bombs. I have our machine shop open them up but there are better options that work with the plan B like the Reardons https://hansohnbrothers.com/shop/rearden/accessories/muzzle-brakes/rearden-spb-brake/

Attachments

• IMG_5750.jpeg
      IMG_5750.jpeg
      422.7 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_5744.jpeg
      IMG_5744.jpeg
      580.1 KB · Views: 51
    • IMG_5742.jpeg
      IMG_5742.jpeg
      604.5 KB · Views: 57
    • IMG_5745.jpeg
      IMG_5745.jpeg
      742.6 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_5746.jpeg
      IMG_5746.jpeg
      758.3 KB · Views: 48
    82EEA27D-6835-46E0-A1EB-7394A4AB5258.jpeg

I’ve had mine together for a while now. Pork Sword, Faxon 12”, Timney Elite, Hybrid with Rex adapter. I’m waiting on the stamp for a Porq Sword. I’m hoping to work out a good dope chart to have realistic drops for both subs and supers. The 350 Makers are excellent out of it.

Reactions: Mattcard1
    8.6BLKO.jpg

Just built, first time on the range, awesome caliber, suppressed 22 bolt gun quiet - big ass chunk of copper.

Dope chart for 285 subs is good to 300, now I just need a piggy piggy to wander out and test pass-through.

I'm just starting out with it, but love it so far.

Reactions: DacianMH
    View attachment 8247336

Just built, first time on the range, awesome caliber, suppressed 22 bolt gun quiet - big ass chunk of copper.

Dope chart for 285 subs is good to 300, now I just need a piggy piggy to wander out and test pass-through.

I'm just starting out with it, but love it so far.
    Love the chassis and March scope. Great build!

Hey boys,

• Mack Bros BDL Action
    • McMillan A1-3
    • Badger M5 DBM
    • Trigger Tech trigger
    • Badger EFR
    • Nightforce 2.5-20X50

Hi I’m new into building guns and I really just wanna buy all the parts to put together a 8.6 gun could you send me the links to everything you got

Hey boys,

• Mack Bros BDL Action
    • McMillan A1-3
    • Badger M5 DBM
    • Trigger Tech trigger
    • Badger EFR
    • Nightforce 2.5-20X50

Get a different barrel...the Faxon 3 twist is junk, torn rifling, pits, and galling. The 3 twist IS the problem. Gave up on it after more than a year of messing with it, and ordered a 6.5 twist 338 barrel blank more than enough twist for anything you'd shoot in 8.6 Blackout. Also have a reamer on hand I expect the new slower twist barrel to be a big improvement in accuracy and more versatile with respect to different bullets and velocities.

To be clear: all experiences with Faxon 1:3 barrels have not been terrible. I'll admit to only being 20 or so rounds in, but accuracy of mine has been pretty good - have not yet recovered a bullet to see how mangled it is.

As for links to everything: welcome to gun building, it is a fun hobby but does require some do-it-yourself effort, just like using google does. Enter every term as posted and you'll get lots of vendors as well as the manufacturer page. Build away!

There are 8.6 horror stories, to be sure; but they aren't all horror stories.

To be clear: all experiences with Faxon 1:3 barrels have not been terrible. I'll admit to only being 20 or so rounds in, but accuracy of mine has been pretty good - have not yet recovered a bullet to see how mangled it is.

As for links to everything: welcome to gun building, it is a fun hobby but does require some do-it-yourself effort, just like using google does. Enter every term as posted and you'll get lots of vendors as well as the manufacturer page. Build away!

It’s not that it’s “all terrible”. But when it’s terrible it’s really terrible if a can is on it

Yep, pretty much all horror stories with Faxon, and only compromising success...
    Kinda fun put the muzzle within 2 feet of a cardboard box shoot for center and also hit the outside of the box with bullet shrapnel as the bullets come apart... anything infront of the muzzle is peppered...somewhere dangerous.
    Be sure to take off the muzzle devices.
    The first lead bullet fired, from Faxon load data, a recommended lead bullet load for the 225 gr Hornady bullet .... blew up after leaving the confines of the barrel destroying the muzzle brake and the magnetospeed bayonet. About $275- $300 in damages. The absolute worst cartridge I ever messed with in the Faxon 3 twist....That is all hype, and worse than unnecessary So I did purchase a 6.5 twist 338 barrel for better accuracy and lower S/D with subs, easier on all bullet jackets ...and super capable with lead...like a 300 Blackout...So yes the 3 twist has absolutely nothing positive to add to the 8.6 blackout cartridge..and I've shot it alot, and can not recommend it. I have the 8.6 blackout reamer, waiting on the barrel maker, I will chamber my own. Also have a 10 twist 510 barrel for the 300 whisper, ordered, but waiting on the chamber reamer and barrel.

Attachments

• 20221002_130841.jpg
      20221002_130841.jpg
      316.9 KB · Views: 132
    • 20221002_131033.jpg
      20221002_131033.jpg
      512.5 KB · Views: 133
    • 20230428_142123.jpg
      20230428_142123.jpg
      781.4 KB · Views: 139
    • Haha
    Reactions: Nostradumbass
    You make my point beautifully. I fired 20 rounds of Gorrilla Ammo 280 solids (I think) from my 16" faxon and got nice 5-shot groups. I ran through a Thunderbeast arms 338BA, zero damage to brake or can. All rounds impacted as expected, all made nice round holes with no petaling or opening up unexpectedly.

I absolutely agree it is not a tinkering gun, but for what I want to do with it (quiet sledgehammers at low to moderate range on predators and hogs), I am thus far happier than my 300blackouts every made me.

Mileage varies, but no complaints on mine so far. It is a task-specific weapon, but it does perform that task admirably - so far.

You make my point beautifully. I fired 20 rounds of Gorrilla Ammo 280 solids (I think) from my 16" faxon and got nice 5-shot groups. I ran through a Thunderbeast arms 338BA, zero damage to brake or can. All rounds impacted as expected, all made nice round holes with no petaling or opening up unexpectedly.

I absolutely agree it is not a tinkering gun, but for what I want to do with it (quiet sledgehammers at low to moderate range on predators and hogs), I am thus far happier than my 300blackouts every made me.

Mileage varies, but no complaints on mine so far. It is a task-specific weapon, but it does perform that task admirably - so far.
    I think it has promise and why I stuck with the cartridge...but losing the Faxon 3 twist, for a 6.5 twist. Which will stablize any sub bullet and be super friendly with cheap lead bullets, allowing more shooting and more fun...eliminate bullet blow up, plus much better accuracy with any bullet, and restore versatility to a very limited cartridge with the 3 twist.
    I'm glad you are enjoying yours, as is, but I just can't see wasting more ammo and time on the 3 twist...it's a better cartridge than that.

I briefly looked into the 8.6 blackout on my badger ordnance M134 build but decided to go with the 375 raptor instead. IMO it's a closer brother to the 300 BO than the 8.6.

I'm wanting to pull the trigger so bad....the 1:3 twist with the can has me a little freaked out. Probably going 1:6.5 to I can safely shoot subs and supers....trying to build a do-all gun.

I'm wanting to pull the trigger so bad....the 1:3 twist with the can has me a little freaked out. Probably going 1:6.5 to I can safely shoot subs and supers....trying to build a do-all gun.
    Go with the slower 6.5 twist the Faxon barrel is not only a headache with the 3 twist but it's also junk. Have you been listening to those who have had the Faxon barrels, they have torn and galled rifling, with chunks torn from the lands weird holes, pits in the grooves. That is a fact...it helps tear up bullet jackets before they leave the barrel...leading to inaccuracies, and blow up. Everyone who has one accepts mediocre accuracy at best shotgun patters are the normal. Do not buy into the hype, on the 3 twist I already, tried it when it first came out. I would not recommend it to anyone. With the 6.5 twist you will have better rifling, more accuracy, and be able to take advantage of supers and subs along with cheap 200, 225 gr Speer for plinking, at super sonic speeds. The 3 twist is as absurd as it sounds, making it not worth the trouble, and your dreams can turn to a nightmare fast destroying muzzle devices, chronographs, anything or person, just slightly infront of the muzzle, can be damaged, or injured...so its past a bit dangerous. Could get a piece of your muzzle brake in your face...I was lucky it only destroyed the muzzle brake and the chronograph, on the first shot following the Faxon recommended load data super sonic.
    That will change your perception of the desire for a 3 twist. Be smart, save money & time go to the 6.5 twist, in 8.6 Blackout, and cut out the bad experiences.

Go with the slower 6.5 twist the Faxon barrel is not only a headache with the 3 twist but it's also junk. Have you been listening to those who have had the Faxon barrels, they have torn and galled rifling, with chunks torn from the lands weird holes, pits in the grooves. That is a fact...it helps tear up bullet jackets before they leave the barrel...leading to inaccuracies, and blow up. Everyone who has one accepts mediocre accuracy at best shotgun patters are the normal. Do not buy into the hype, on the 3 twist I already, tried it when it first came out. I would not recommend it to anyone. With the 6.5 twist you will have better rifling, more accuracy, and be able to take advantage of supers and subs along with cheap 200, 225 gr Speer for plinking, at super sonic speeds. The 3 twist is as absurd as it sounds, making it not worth the trouble, and your dreams can turn to a nightmare fast destroying muzzle devices, chronographs, anything or person, just slightly infront of the muzzle, can be damaged, or injured...so its past a bit dangerous. Could get a piece of your muzzle brake in your face...I was lucky it only destroyed the muzzle brake and the chronograph, on the first shot following the Faxon recommended load data super sonic.
    That will change your perception of the desire for a 3 twist. Be smart, save money & time go to the 6.5 twist, in 8.6 Blackout, and cut out the bad experiences.
    Thats where I am leaning.....I'm thinking 16" 1:6.5.....no tax stamps, supers and subs....Hoping for subsonic whitetail out to 75ish yards....supers for anything farther than that! Probably going to let it develop a little more before I completely jump in. Looking for a cheap donor action right now anyway.

Reactions: 45-90
    Thats where I am leaning.....I'm thinking 16" 1:6.5.....no tax stamps, supers and subs....Hoping for subsonic whitetail out to 75ish yards....supers for anything farther than that! Probably going to let it develop a little more before I completely jump in. Looking for a cheap donor action right now anyway.
    I have a finish reamer for 8.6 and am waiting on the barrel maker for the 6.5 twist. Faxon wil not change the twist rate as I checked right after I purchased the 3 twist and the negative experience. They are under licensing agreement to make only 3 twist. So I buy barrel blanks in the desired twist 6.5 to 8 twist would work. Just like the 300 Blackout. I reworked a Remington 700 action for this build for free, as I already had it. But can make an AR 10 barrel also..just a little more machining involved with barrel extension, gas block journal, gas port, and profiling. I would definitely go for the 6.5 twist.
    I May use my 3 twist AR 10 for fire forming cases...other than that I'd remove the barrel extension and give it away, or use it for scrap metal projects...the barrel extension is the only thing worthwhile on the Faxon 3 twist...Faxon earned their negatively on the 8.6 Blkout, some of their ,"other products" may be okay, and I have a few, but this 3 twist project should have never left the shop for consumers to use...IMO. Following their on site load data one load was way over pressure and blew a primer on the first shot plus destroyed equipment. I contacted them about one set of load data abd the dangerous 3 twist ..it took 2.5 months to reply, in the meantime others were posting blown primers for months before removing the way over pressure load data...too slow to respond to a very negative situation.

Get a different barrel...the Faxon 3 twist is junk, torn rifling, pits, and galling. The 3 twist IS the problem. Gave up on it after more than a year of messing with it, and ordered a 6.5 twist 338 barrel blank more than enough twist for anything you'd shoot in 8.6 Blackout. Also have a reamer on hand I expect the new slower twist barrel to be a big improvement in accuracy and more versatile with respect to different bullets and velocities.
    They are better in every way. I have a 6.5 twist from Mos-Tek and everything shot in the 1:3 shoots better in the 1:6.5 and can maintain a 3” group at 300y.

Reactions: DRWilson and 45-90
    Yup you won’t regret running a 6.5t. You also get higher velocities with supers as well.

Reactions: DRWilson and 45-90
    I am rebuilding my 8.6 with a 6.5 twist .
    But for real power I'm building two 510 whisper type rifles one for AR 10 capable of 5600 ft lbs of super sonic and a magnum rifle capable of 6000 ft/ lbs of super sonic energy.
    The 510 has a 1002 gr bullet subsonic 2700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy...1000 yds 1900 ft/lbs with a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps. It only looses 180 fps over 1000yds. The picture is the real cartridges left 510 wisper AR 10, 8.6 blkout 300 gr Berger snd 510 whisper magnum bolt 750 gr Amax for comparison. Make your own cast bullets 300 gr to 980 gr. Or jacketed 300 to 1002 gr super or sub. Gonna get some recoil on the heavy supers. Waiting on the fast twist barrel blanks everything else is ready even the custom reamers.

Attachments

• 20231117_170617.jpg
      20231117_170617.jpg
      539.7 KB · Views: 96
    I am rebuilding my 8.6 with a 6.5 twist .
    But for real power I'm building two 510 whisper type rifles one for AR 10 capable of 5600 ft lbs of super sonic and a magnum rifle capable of 6000 ft/ lbs of super sonic energy.
    The 510 has a 1002 gr bullet subsonic 2700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy...1000 yds 1900 ft/lbs with a muzzle velocity of 1100 fps. It only looses 180 fps over 1000yds. The picture is the real cartridges left 510 wisper AR 10, 8.6 blkout 300 gr Berger snd 510 whisper magnum bolt 750 gr Amax for comparison. Make your own cast bullets 300 gr to 980 gr. Or jacketed 300 to 1002 gr super or sub. Gonna get some recoil on the heavy supers. Waiting on the fast twist barrel blanks everything else is ready even the custom reamers.
    Jezzzzuuuuuz! That’s serious! What’s the parent casing?

Reactions: DRWilson
    Jezzzzuuuuuz! That’s serious! What’s the parent casing?
    Easy is use 338 Lapua./ 416 Rigby or turn the belt off the 460 Weatherby, but they are expensive, shorten, form, turn necks..for bolt gun. Some versions use the 460 Weatherby brass, as is. My reamer is for 338 Lapua.
    AR 10 , additional steps..the case heads need turned down to .525" to .528 " and new extractor groove installed... to fit the KAK AR 10 magnum bolt head, they use in the AR 10 300 WSM, the AR 10 will not be as versatile as the bolt gun, but ridiculously powerful with supers in 300 to 500 gr range...for an AR. It will also shoot military ball, tracers, and armor piercing rds.for more plinking fun. Notice the cases in the photo are rebated 338 Lapua as these heads are turned for the AR 10.

Easy is use 338 Lapua./ 416 Rigby or turn the belt off the 460 Weatherby, but they are expensive, shorten, form, turn necks..for bolt gun. Some versions use the 460 Weatherby brass, as is. My reamer is for 338 Lapua.
    AR 10 , additional steps..the case heads need turned down to .525" to .528 " and new extractor groove installed... to fit the KAK AR 10 magnum bolt head, they use in the AR 10 300 WSM, the AR 10 will not be as versatile as the bolt gun, but ridiculously powerful with supers in 300 to 500 gr range...for an AR. It will also shoot military ball, tracers, and armor piercing rds.for more plinking fun. Notice the cases in the photo are rebated 338 Lapua as these heads are turned for the AR 10.
    Oh ok so something like the one in the middle pictured with the case head turned down to .473 to fit a 308 bolt face, to the left is a 375 Raptor and 8.6 Blackout on the right of it. Made from 338 LM Brass necked up to a 375 cal. I love seeing projects like this, I hope it comes out excellent for you!

Oh ok so something like the one in the middle pictured with the case head turned down to .473 to fit a 308 bolt face, to the left is a 375 Raptor and 8.6 Blackout on the right of it. Made from 338 LM Brass necked up to a 375 cal. I love seeing projects like this, I hope it comes out excellent for you!
    Yes these projects are cropping up all over for the AR 10. Using shortened 338 Lapua cases for more case capacity, to maximize the AR 10 as it exists. And doing reciever mods for 2.940" to 2.960" cartridges. Case capacity is inching up toward 100 grs. Mine are edging to 90 gr capacity now. I went whole hog to .510 caliber, just start at the top. I have a bunch of 50BMG brass but its already borderline ridiculous. Just buy a Barrett. For me, It's just a hobby, trying different things to see how they work. These energy levels are beating the 458 Win mag out of an AR-10...then there is the recoil, to consider. Even subsonic when the bullets get heavy. I'll find out when the barrels arrive.

They are better in every way. I have a 6.5 twist from Mos-Tek and everything shot in the 1:3 shoots better in the 1:6.5 and can maintain a 3” group at 300y.
    You have the 1:6.5 twist mostek?!?! I have a bad Faxon and i am just going to cut my loses and go mostek. I have the 1:3 twist on my ar but I have no issues with that. The Faxon on my bolt gun is wildly inaccurate. After reading posts on the 6.5 twist, is that the direction I should go?!

You have the 1:6.5 twist mostek?!?! I have a bad Faxon and i am just going to cut my loses and go mostek. I have the 1:3 twist on my ar but I have no issues with that. The Faxon on my bolt gun is wildly inaccurate. After reading posts on the 6.5 twist, is that the direction I should go?!
    Yes, I’ve tested alot of 8.6 barrels, I needed to because we’re manufacturing the ammunition. Out of all the barrels tested, the Mos-Teks and the Q’s have been the most consistent. Even the 1:3 Mos-Teks are a good to go, but the 1:6.5 lets you also use many other bullets that the 1:3 cant.

We will be offering 1:6 only ammunition in the future…from what I’ve tested I can push a 165gr Maker Rex or 160gr Barnes TTSX 2500 fps safely from a 16”. I also lost no stability with the 350gr Makers either but they’re not ideal for the slower twist and don’t expand completely. Paul is going to release 1:6 compatible projectiles soon for the 8.6 but there are already 338 Spectre bullets that’ll work in the 8.6 now. You also don’t get as much copper fowling letting you go longer between cleanings. You won't regret going that route.

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpeg
      IMG_1129.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 104
    • IMG_1066.jpeg
      IMG_1066.jpeg
      498.9 KB · Views: 74
    • IMG_1132.jpeg
      IMG_1132.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 92
    • IMG_1099.jpeg
      IMG_1099.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 105
    Last edited:
    Reactions: DRWilson
    Yes, I’ve tested alot of 8.6 barrels, I needed to because we’re manufacturing the ammunition. Out of all the barrels tested, the Mos-Teks and the Q’s have been the most consistent. Even the 1:3 Mos-Teks are a good to go, but the 1:6.5 lets you also use many other bullets that the 1:3 cant.

We will be offering 1:6 only ammunition in the future…from what I’ve tested I can push a 165gr Maker Rex or 160gr Barnes TTSX 2500 fps safely from a 16”. I also lost no stability with the 350gr Makers either but they’re not ideal for the slower twist and don’t expand completely. Paul is going to release 1:6 compatible projectiles soon for the 8.6 but there are already 338 Spectre bullets that’ll work in the 8.6 now. You also don’t get as much copper fowling letting you go longer between cleanings. You won't regret going that route.
    Dammit man! I have to admit, a 160 Barnes at 2500 FPS from a 16" would alter my math quite a bit...

By the way, with all the "fuzzy faxon bores" stuff, I took a close look at mine: not fuzzy, looks very crisp though I didn't put a bore scope on it.

My guess is the earlies were more problematic than the later - though that could just be bias based on mine not shooting like ass.

By the way, with all the "fuzzy faxon bores" stuff, I took a close look at mine: not fuzzy, looks very crisp though I didn't put a bore scope on it.

My guess is the earlies were more problematic than the later - though that could just be bias based on mine not shooting like ass.
    No, you are correct…they had some issues with their barrels and there are still some out there. If you have a good Faxon don't sell it because there seems to be a good number of inconsistent barrels out in the wild. I’m sure, as a large manufacturer, they would fix any issues they may have but sometimes thats too late for a company’s reputation.