• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any argument to be made for picking up a rifle in 7.62x39?

If I had educated my kids well, they would be just like ME.
I have a hammer for every size job. Up to 750lb Nazel air hammer.

7.62x39 is intermediate round. I regularly shoot them from 0-400 yards and can easily hit a man-sized torso steel silhouette. 500-600 is a chore, but AKFiles/Kalashni-Con shooters do it every year. Last guy I saw win the "long distance" (100-600 yards) shoot did it with a Yugo underfolder with a suppressor mounted, and IRON SIGHTS. With an RPK 600 yards is a beaten zone. 7.62x39 is very useful, 30 cal punch.

Ah, I found the commies! (Kidding.)

It’s too bad 7.62x39 ammo is going up in price.

My vote? Get a nice Czech VZ-58:
IMG_7102.jpeg

It’s too bad 7.62x39 ammo is going up in price.

Tell me about it. I've never really been interested in AK's and stuck to bolt actions and AR's. I decided to get my first AK and turns out it's the worst time. I have been watching PSA like a hawk and was able to snag a PSA ak47 GF4 this week. Then I start looking for ammo and all the shelves are empty! Not one box locally and online there is nothing but wolf that is usually 20-25cents a round in a 1k pack but for 35c+ a piece. I put in a backorder with Optics Planet for around 30c a piece OTD, which sucks but is the best I found.

So hopefully I can find a box or two locally before the rifle comes!

Cheap ammo. That's the only reason I can come up with. Perhaps the reliability and nostalgia value of an AK system? Not a fan on it but I'm sure many out there rightfully are.

I look at rifles like the 300BO, where attempts are made to make a cartridge (223) into something it clearly isn't (30 cal) in order to serve a specialized purpose (subsonic).

I think, however, that with a fast twist, they need look no further than the 7.62x39 for the case, and the 3131 Hornady 174gr FMJ '303' caliber bullet, or maybe the Lapua 200gr. In a Silenced AR pistol, it might make an interesting combination.

Greg

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Get one!! What collection is complete with out an AK. I've got a bunch and they never get old. There is almost a flavor for any taste. Also, most can eat any ammo you throw in them. Also and more importantly, ammo has been sold out for most platforms through out the US one way or another. All of the Academy's around town though have had spam cans of monarch 7.62x39 for pre panic prices. $149.00 for 1k rounds is not bad. Especially if you just want to dump some mags!

All of the Academy's around town though have had spam cans of monarch 7.62x39 for pre panic prices. $149.00 for 1k rounds is not bad. Especially if you just want to dump some mags!

Wow. 15c per round is great even by pre-panic standards, especially in the cans. I much prefer those for stashing.