• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any easy to do math to help calculate windage correction at a given distance?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Given a verified DOPE for a rifle and caliber.....is there / are there simplified formulas that help you to estimate windage correction for a given distance?

I understand that it's a very difficult challenge however, In most every faculty people tend to come up with little helpful hints....wondering if there was such a thing for windage correction estimation.

thank you

there are a bunch of threads around with the BC/wind method...lemme look for the links unless someone else beats me to it

heres a couple that have discussions...im sure someone will come along with all the links shortly

heres a couple that have discussions...im sure someone will come along with all the links shortly

the G1/Wind is super simple and effective.

Given a verified DOPE for a rifle and caliber.....is there / are there simplified formulas that help you to estimate windage correction for a given distance?

If you have VERIFIED dope, why do you think you need a simplified formula for wind drift?

MY verified dope includes the wind drift for 5, 10, and 15 mph of full value cross wind for every distance increment that I have drop for. If I estimate the wind to be somewhere between the baseline values, 3 seconds of math in my head after looking at my dope card yields an initial windage estimate.

I understand....that's a great way to do it. I've got to create a DOPE card this weekend and will include your technique.

Allow me to recount a sad and yet funny story that truly just happened to us a few days back. The school year just ended and kids were enjoying the just reopened beaches.
...we live very near the coast, pretty close to Mexico so you really can't go any further West...and you really can't go much any further South without crossing an international border.

An adolescent came up to our door looking very lost and worried. It seems her cell phone battery died while she was at the beach and now she had absolutely no idea how to get home from here. Realize that she had just driven here a couple of hours ago.

The Sun was waning but still very present and as noted, you couldn't miss the ocean if you tried...especially if you just spent the last few hours there. To add further insult to this comic tragedy, any road going East or North would take here to countless highways which could take her anywhere in the USA.

I was very nice and pointed out the two direction paths she could take to get home....but inside i was rather sad for her.

(As you know, i'm a bit stuck in my old school ways and like to do some simple math...mainly just for academics i guess and to keep the old gray matter circuitry working).

Last edited:
Simplest method I know using MIL.
Find the known wind for 1 MIL at 1000 yards.

At 1k, my 140 Hybrid wind for 1 MIL is 6MPH.

So...
1500 = 1.5
1400 =1.4
900 = .9
800 = .8
500 = .5

3 MPH wind is 1/2 that, and 12 MPH is twice that.

Not exact, but pretty close.

Reactions: Jumper
Buy Frank's book. He covers wind really well in there. I've just gotten it, and already can see improvement in my groups.

yes, had it in my cart but thought perhaps there might be a possibility of a signed copy so held off. will probably just go ahead and order it.

The only thing the works is shooting on windy days a lot.

Reactions: Red343