Any F1 racing fans?

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Lewis looked like a sore loser on Sunday.
He acted like one as well. Saying things like: THEY are against me, they don't want us to win, they this and that, they they they. Unlike 1: Danny Ric who admitted he screwed up when passing Ocon (he's a jerk anyway) and Carlos "There's a wall there" Sainz who both admitted "my fault."

Granted, "Bono" told Lewis that he could do the start outside of that area, but the Formula1.com site said the team had no clue he was so far up the road. Problem is Lewis thinks he owns F-1 now. Time for Red Bull to give Max THE CAR. No question in equivalent cars Max would destroy Hamilton (my opinion). It's obvious the Red Bull is incredibly hard to drive, very twitchy and a lot of "snap" in it. My disgust in Hamilton grows weekly. He has been and always will be a crybaby.

bigdaddydmd

Tooth Shucker
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I got up extra early to watch it Sunday and that 0410 start time is hard on a Sunday morning. While the race was pretty uneventful it was still worth it. Especially watching Kvyat stick in there for so long. Not that I'm a big fan of him.

I still do no understand why Hamilton was administered two 5 second penalties? Did he have two practice starts? And why was he allowed to serve both 5 sec penalties at the same pit stop? I thought they couldn't be served in the same stop?

Ferrari just don't have the car to compete, but both Vettel and Leclerc sure can play defense and hold up the pack. I'm going to be torn next year since I'm not a huge Scuderia fan, but I do like Sainz and am hoping he and LeClerc make a potent combo for Ferrari.

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I got up extra early to watch it Sunday and that 0410 start time is hard on a Sunday morning. While the race was pretty uneventful it was still worth it. Especially watching Kvyat stick in there for so long. Not that I'm a big fan of him.

I still do no understand why Hamilton was administered two 5 second penalties? Did he have two practice starts? And why was he allowed to serve both 5 sec penalties at the same pit stop? I thought they couldn't be served in the same stop?

Ferrari just don't have the car to compete, but both Vettel and Leclerc sure can play defense and hold up the pack. I'm going to be torn next year since I'm not a huge Scuderia fan, but I do like Sainz and am hoping he and LeClerc make a potent combo for Ferrari.
My understanding from what Sky said (I used DVR this week though :) ), was that
1) Yes, he did two practice starts (we only saw the one). TV cameras did not pick up the first practice start the way I read it.
2) If the penalty is given before the race it has to be served in the race (or maybe it is if it occurs before a pit stop).

I really don't like Ferrari; but I'd much rather see them win than Mercedes. At heart Ferrari is still a sports car/racing car company and mercedes is just some big corporate blob who has no real emotional attachment to racing from my eyes. Red Bull is new, practically speaking, to the sport and definitely has more "racing" in their blood from all forms of motorsport they do, so does Williams (RIP) and Renault as well.

Jethro3898

Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Dothan, AL
Bytor, you are correct.

As we all know, you are required to take 1 pit stop in a F1 Grand Prix.....you can take more than 1, but 1 is required.

I believe I'm correct about this: If a time penalty for an infraction is leveled against a driver before their required pit stop in a Grand Prix (not necessarily before the race begins), the driver must serve the penalty at his pit stop. Should it be leveled against a driver after their pit stop, a driver can elect to either take another pit stop and serve the penalty or have the time penalty assessed to his final race time.

I've never been a Ferrari fan, but my heart really goes out to them this year. At first it was kind of funny that their car sucked, now I feel bad for them that they can barely get out of Q3. Hearing the communication between the pit wall and Seb is almost cringeworthy. You can tell he lost all confidence in the car a while back; now he has lost all confidence in the team. A competitive Ferrari is good for F1, as is Renault, McLaren and Williams.....simply due to legacy.

bigdaddydmd

Tooth Shucker
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like Ferrari is bringing up some of their F2 Ferrair Drivers Academy for practice at the next Grand Prix, notably Schumacher. Wonder what this means for next year for Alpha Romeo drivers?

Aussiedan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020
I love all racing, it takes massive talent, physical conditioning and no shortage of balls to be at the top.
However, since F1 has recently become the platform for a certain hypocritical, wealthy, entitled whiny little bitch to tell everyone how oppressed he is, i wont watch.

I cant and won't support anyone who endorses the BLM group.

I 100% support the message that black lives matter, just not the group itself.

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Bytor, you are correct.

As we all know, you are required to take 1 pit stop in a F1 Grand Prix.....you can take more than 1, but 1 is required.

I believe I'm correct about this: If a time penalty for an infraction is leveled against a driver before their required pit stop in a Grand Prix (not necessarily before the race begins), the driver must serve the penalty at his pit stop. Should it be leveled against a driver after their pit stop, a driver can elect to either take another pit stop and serve the penalty or have the time penalty assessed to his final race time.

I've never been a Ferrari fan, but my heart really goes out to them this year. At first it was kind of funny that their car sucked, now I feel bad for them that they can barely get out of Q3. Hearing the communication between the pit wall and Seb is almost cringeworthy. You can tell he lost all confidence in the car a while back; now he has lost all confidence in the team. A competitive Ferrari is good for F1, as is Renault, McLaren and Williams.....simply due to legacy.
Yeah, having Williams and McClaren good again will make a world of difference. Renault has always been a supplier of engines so them having a factory team is different. Though, as a Prost fan, I like he's kind of assumed a "Lauda" roll with them. I'll grant you that it's hard to see Team Red struggling to out qualify Haas and Williams. That said, I'll never be a fan after the treatment they gave Prost in his second season. Yeah, I harbor a grudge :).

As for Aussiedan, I'm almost there myself. LH's bullshit is getting a bit unbearable. I just about said F-it when he had the Brianna shirt on. Had Merc had balls they'd have said..uhh, dude...you know the RULES say you are not supposed to wear that. Then F-1 themselves wussed out and gave him a finger shake. Though I think they reminded folks of the sporting regulations about shirts like that.

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Holy crap....HONDA pulls out of Formula-1....insanity.

bigdaddydmd

Tooth Shucker
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Yep. Saw that earlier today. Talk about leaving Red Bull high and dry. This really leaves a hole in F1 for some other company to bring in a new power plant. Wonder if anyone will step up? I don't see Renault and Red Bull having that great of a relationship anymore, but I dont' think Mercedes or Ferrari will be interested in selling them powerplants.

Sieg

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
  • Jun 14, 2018
    Mercedes appears to have an insider advantage with the FIA handlers. I'm sick and tired of wonder who may be able to luck into a podium finish with the two Mercs. Max was the only one that appeared to give them any competition if he didn't suffer a mechanical.

How Mercedes can have the mechanical advantage they've had over multiple years only means one thing....... $$$.

F1 has become as boring as NASCAR and has joined the failing ranks of the NFL and NBA chasing the political sponsor dollar.

Thankfully this years MotoGP season has been the best wheel to wheel racing I've seen in nearly two decades. Not to mention the riders have some serious f'n skin in game.

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2018
    I don't think it's quite as boring 1998-2005. I didn't watch much F-1 then. Especially the midfield battle was not nearly as interesting back then.

Yeah, Red Bull got shafted big time. I doubt any new manufacturers can come to speed quick enough to be competitive. Toyota may be capable, but they sucked last time out. Porsche flirted with it and came to their senses that it'd actually devalue the brand if they couldn't compete. I could possibly see VW or Audi doing an engine/team, but with Porsche brains behind it. That said, 1 year isn't enough time to develop an F-1 engine.

It would be funny if Ford came back into F-1 and blew everybody away. I'd be okay with that, and I'm not a Ford lover. It'd be great if an American company came in a dominated the engine world. Haas-Ford, Red Bull-Ford. F-1 actually somewhat fits into Ford's business policy of Turbos and Hybrids. They should totally do it :).

Reactions: bigdaddydmd

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2018
    I was thinking the same thing regarding Ford. I would even take Porsche getting back into it.
    Fond memories for me of TAG-Porsche McClaren. But I think I read where two or three years ago when they were trying to figure out the 2021 (now 2022) tech specs they were almost committed, then pulled out. It really seems right up Ford's alley. They've heavily invested in Turbo and Hybrid. I don't know the 2022 rules though. Then again, now that Porsche pulled out of LMP2 they're really depending on the RSR-19 4.2L to carry the name; and sadly, it's somewhat outclassed at the moment. I tend to agree with Porsche that endurance racing translates more to better road cars than F-1.

Also, the Footwork Porsche was AWFUL. Pretty much, Metzger (who was previously seen as an absolute genius at engine design) royally screwed up. Nice article here:

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 17, 2009
    Pacific Northwest,USA
    I really like F1 racing and the technology they bring into auto and engine building. I don't think many people realize the physical demands of trying to control a car with that much power and grip on the racetrack. With that said, I have always had a thing for the Lemans prototype cars, and the enclosed wheel hypercars for endurance racing. I think the lines of the enclosed wheel cars are more aesthetically pleasing to me, but it is really hard to argue against the cornering ability and overall performance of the F1 cars.

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2018
    I really like F1 racing and the technology they bring into auto and engine building. I don't think many people realize the physical demands of trying to control a car with that much power and grip on the racetrack. With that said, I have always had a thing for the Lemans prototype cars, and the enclosed wheel hypercars for endurance racing. I think the lines of the enclosed wheel cars are more aesthetically pleasing to me, but it is really hard to argue against the cornering ability and overall performance of the F1 cars.
    I prefer the older LMP cars without that big fin on the bag. Classic cars like 917, 956, 962, 911 GT and even the Spyder. Not just the Porsche's but their competitors also looked good. Now you have those blunt front ends that just don't do it for me. Granted, the Halo in F-1 has somewhat ruined the looks and I don't think I could drive with that big giant thing in my line of sight. That said, they have already saved what would likely have been a few bad outcomes.

It's amazing to see how slow even the LMP cars are compared to F-1 (at least in turns). Then when you watch GT class it's like they're barely even moving. It's somewhat as obvious in person as well.

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Sep 17, 2009
    Pacific Northwest,USA
    I was reading about one of the new class of hypercars that might be able to compete in the LMP class cars next year that puts out 840 horsepower, and the body style (with the exception of the rear fin) is really gorgeous. They were saying that while the F1 cars are faster around a track, that some of the LMP cars are faster in a straight line. In either case, the performance of either F1 or LMP cars is truly marvelous.

When I was much younger I wondered why they would want to limit the horsepower of any competition cars. I eventually understood why safety had to take precedence over all out performance. I still think it would be interesting to find out just how fast they could get cars to go and compete if the drivers had enough courage and daring to drive a 1500 pound vehicle that would have 1700 horsepower ..... if it would be allowed. I know I wouldn't want anything more to do with driving a vehicle like that any more than I want to drive a 300 horsepower 400 pound motorcycle.

When asked how fast some of those unlimited motorcycles or autos could go, the response was "zero to infinity faster than you could say "Oh, SHIT. I'M GOING WAAAY TO FAST!"

BytorJr

Major Hide Member
    Belligerents
    Minuteman
    Nov 28, 2018
    I was reading about one of the new class of hypercars that might be able to compete in the LMP class cars next year that puts out 840 horsepower, and the body style (with the exception of the rear fin) is really gorgeous. They were saying that while the F1 cars are faster around a track, that some of the LMP cars are faster in a straight line. In either case, the performance of either F1 or LMP cars is truly marvelous.

When I was much younger I wondered why they would want to limit the horsepower of any competition cars. I eventually understood why safety had to take precedence over all out performance. I still think it would be interesting to find out just how fast they could get cars to go and compete if the drivers had enough courage and daring to drive a 1500 pound vehicle that would have 1700 horsepower ..... if it would be allowed. I know I wouldn't want anything more to do with driving a vehicle like that any more than I want to drive a 300 horsepower 400 pound motorcycle.

When asked how fast some of those unlimited motorcycles or autos could go, the response was "zero to infinity faster than you could say "Oh, SHIT. I'M GOING WAAAY TO FAST!"
    Yep. Most of the LMP cars even LMP 2 are faster in straight line due to lack of drag those open wheels cause.

However your high horsepower and light weight describe the 60/70s Porsche,Ferrari, Ford and others What’s really hard to fathom is how successful the mostly unknown Porsche 936 was. Even well into 80s.