• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any F1 racing fans?

Kimi is over the hill too.

his claim to fame was he could drive all conditions and make tires last forever.

but that was back in the sprint race day (how I miss those), with the racing as it is today everyone has to be on a “saving” strategy.

I think that’s why kimi while still in the top 1/3 or drivers was not able to shine after he came back from rally.

Reactions: BytorJr
Hamilton- Respect his talent immensely. Will he leave Merc after ‘21?
Bottass- I find myself pulling for this guy every race. The #2 guy and just can’t quite seem to pull it off.
Vettel- I’d like to see him get back in the saddle and bring it.
Verstappen- The more he matures, the better I like him.
Danny Ric- What can you say? The laid back Aussie
Raikkonen- The old warrior doing the only thing he knows
Russell- Showed he could step right into a tier 1 car and dominate when he sat in for Hamilton
Gasley- Deserves more that Red Bull is giving him IMO.
Lando- The kid on the rise
Alonso- Making a return in ‘21. What Can he do in a Renault the third time around?
Yeah, I follow it a little.

Reactions: brianf
The most exciting things this year in F1 for me is Sergio Perez at Red Bull and Daniel Ricciardo at McLaren.

This is a good year for them both to show what they can do as both are in better cars than they were in previous years. McLaren is on the upswing and I think they will do well. Max will get a little inter-team pressure and that will be good for the fans.

Mercedes/Lewis will still win it all barring some kind of divine intervention or serious mechanical issues.

So ahead of the race- we know that Red Bull looks very strong. We also know that MB looks a little iffy going into the race weekend.
Is MB sandbagging? Discuss

Is MB sandbagging? Yes. That is their MO and has been for a number of years. They come out at testing looking shaky and not all together and pour on the coals in the first race. Perhaps this year will be slightly different for the first race since testing was just two weeks ago at the same track and in the same conditions. This will allow the teams to really dial in their vehicles for the 1st race and should close some of the gaps, especially in the midfield. Big difference compared to testing in Barcelona and racing in Australia for the first race.

I am looking forward to this season. Granted I do every year and by mid year I get a little blah as it turns into the same old, same old, but I am hoping this year the mid pack is even more competitive. I also want to see how Sainz does at Ferrari. Can't say I really give a hoot that Alonso is back and driving for Alpine. Time will tell if his return and experience will be beneficial to the team of if it is time for him to ride off into the sunset.

I agree, and I'm curious if Ferrari may be doing a little of it too. They have bragged a little about being stronger. I wonder if they may be towards the front of the mid pack teams.

Is MB sandbagging? Yes. That is their MO and has been for a number of years. They come out at testing looking shaky and not all together and pour on the coals in the first race. Perhaps this year will be slightly different for the first race since testing was just two weeks ago at the same track and in the same conditions. This will allow the teams to really dial in their vehicles for the 1st race and should close some of the gaps, especially in the midfield. Big difference compared to testing in Barcelona and racing in Australia for the first race.

I am looking forward to this season. Granted I do every year and by mid year I get a little blah as it turns into the same old, same old, but I am hoping this year the mid pack is even more competitive. I also want to see how Sainz does at Ferrari. Can't say I really give a hoot that Alonso is back and driving for Alpine. Time will tell if his return and experience will be beneficial to the team of if it is time for him to ride off into the sunset.
Before I read the F-1 news yesterday I couldn't give a rat's rear end about Alonso. Now, I hope he gets his ass stomped by everybody. He's one arrogant cocky MOFO even by F-1 standards and has NEVER proven he is a team builder let alone a team player. In fact, quite the opposite.

Before I read the F-1 news yesterday I couldn't give a rat's rear end about Alonso. Now, I hope he gets his ass stomped by everybody. He's one arrogant cocky MOFO even by F-1 standards and has NEVER proven he is a team builder let alone a team player. In fact, quite the opposite.
I don't mind Alonso, I felt bad for him when he was with Honda and that GP2 power unit, but he is too public about his criticisms with Honda and Ferrari.

I really lost my interest a few years ago. In my opinion the regulations aimed at reducing costs and enhancing competition seem to be destroying any competition and costs continue to rise.

My solution is pretty radical. eliminate aero influence and allow manufactures to sell chassis to lessor funded teams. Using a straight internal combustion drivetrain would save a bunch of money and be no less relevant. Its about racing, not trying to be a fancy Toyota Prius.

I really lost my interest a few years ago. In my opinion the regulations aimed at reducing costs and enhancing competition seem to be destroying any competition and costs continue to rise.

My solution is pretty radical. eliminate aero influence and allow manufactures to sell chassis to lessor funded teams. Using a straight internal combustion drivetrain would save a bunch of money and be no less relevant. Its about racing, not trying to be a fancy Toyota Prius.
I like the Porsche suggestion when they were chosen to do the research as part of a team to find new regulations for what was supposed to be the engines starting in 2020 (I think). That was basically a 919 setup. Cheaper and still has energy recovery.

That said, I'd like to still see wings and such; but with an effort to reduce the massive turbulence that washes out the following cars aero even if all the way to one side of track. Also, I'd like to see N/A vs Turbo again - make the rules to where they are somewhat equal on power with Turbo being less powerful, but more miserly in fuel consumption and bring back refueling which would completely change the dynamics of a pit stop and how a car is set up. I know we'll never hear V-10's again, and that saddens me.

I know we'll never hear V-10's again, and that saddens me.
Those V-10’s at Indianapolis were seriously, seriously impressive. What even impressed me more was the sound of those gearboxes, small and light enough to hold in ones hands, yet the soundblast from each shift sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun going off, that, over the sound of the V-10’s. How those gearboxes could stand the abuse dished out by those engines through the entire race, is surely an engineering achievement of the highest order.

We made it to the Indianapolis F1 Grand Prix for three years. We still owned our Corvette and felt right at home among the serious and much more expensive sports cars. (Loved seeing a Ferrari F-40 in person, AND getting to see THE VERY Ferrari 250 LM that I watched win the 24 hours of Le Mans in 1965, in the museum). A local family adopted us, allowing us to park the Corvette in their yard next to the house to keep it protected. Then we were invited to their family barbecue after the practices and races. Grand, Grand times. We made the pit day and all the practice days, and finally the race. I do miss it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BytorJr and STUKA
Those V-10’s at Indianapolis were seriously, seriously impressive. What even impressed me more was the sound of those gearboxes, small and light enough to hold in ones hands, yet the soundblast from each shift sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun going off, that, over the sound of the V-10’s. How those gearboxes could stand the abuse dished out by those engines through the entire race, is surely an engineering achievement of the highest order.

We made it to the Indianapolis F1 Grand Prix for three years. We still owned our Corvette and felt right at home among the serious and much more expensive sports cars. (Loved seeing a Ferrari F-40 in person, AND getting to see THE VERY Ferrari 250 LM that I watched win the 24 hours of Le Mans in 1965, in the museum). A local family adopted us, allowing us to park the Corvette in their yard next to the house to keep it protected. Then we were invited to their family barbecue after the practices and races. Grand, Grand times. We made the pit day and all the practice days, and finally the race. I do miss it.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick

I especially remember the sound....no sound doesn't cover it...the feel of the V10's. During practice with the cars coming down the mostly empty grandstands, that howling wail would make the aluminum grandstands vibrate as the cars drove by. Never forget that as long as I live.

Was it 2001 that they allowed traction control? That as amazing to hear too. All the howl of the V10's on the straights, then pop pop pop when they shifted. Then when they laid into the turns, the cars cut timing and make and growled and farted through the turns.

Anyone that considers themselves a car person should hear a V10 F1 car driven in anger.

Can't wait for the season to start, I know only one day till Friday practice but I still can't wait...

Wife and I just finished season three of "drive to survive" and that pumped me up a bit I guess. As with others on here I agree that MB is sandbagging, they have pretty much every year for the last 6 or so so why not this year too? That being said I think I am most excited to see how Perez and Verstappen get after the Mercedes boys. I rooted for both Gasly and Albon when they were sitting next to Max but I think the pressure of that seat just ended up getting the better of them, I think / hope Perez will do better. If both Red Bulls are scoring points and their car is good, it could be interesting.

Also super excited to see how the McLaren goes this season now that they have a Merc in the back end of it once again. They seem to have a good chassis now with some good power, plus Lando and Ricciardo should be shenanigans on parade. How much fun is it going to be to watch those two getting after it????!!!!!!

Yeah, I am happy F1 is back :)

Now if they would just go back to the v8, v10, or v12 naturally aspirated engines and ditch the "power units"...

I’ve got the DVR set to record the practices, qualifying and races for the season.
I also dig MotoGP racing which kicks off this weekend as well. I like this time of year.
Wife likes watching the races as well. She hates Lewis Hamilton. Says he’s a cocky but whiny bitch 😂
I’m with your wife on that. He was great until he fired his dad and started hanging out with Hollywood.

Can't wait for the season to start, I know only one day till Friday practice but I still can't wait...

Wife and I just finished season three of "drive to survive" and that pumped me up a bit I guess. As with others on here I agree that MB is sandbagging, they have pretty much every year for the last 6 or so so why not this year too? That being said I think I am most excited to see how Perez and Verstappen get after the Mercedes boys. I rooted for both Gasly and Albon when they were sitting next to Max but I think the pressure of that seat just ended up getting the better of them, I think / hope Perez will do better. If both Red Bulls are scoring points and their car is good, it could be interesting.

Also super excited to see how the McLaren goes this season now that they have a Merc in the back end of it once again. They seem to have a good chassis now with some good power, plus Lando and Ricciardo should be shenanigans on parade. How much fun is it going to be to watch those two getting after it????!!!!!!

Yeah, I am happy F1 is back :)

Now if they would just go back to the v8, v10, or v12 naturally aspirated engines and ditch the "power units"...
I'm a huge Max fan as anybody reading this thread will know; but, I think Perez there is going to help RBR in multiple ways. 1) They'll have two cars competing (based on tests) for front row; not one that got close to that front row multiple times. 2) Max will have to up his game even more, which will help Max and RBR, 3) Perez can win races and definitely plays into the strategy.

I too was very high on Gasly, but his skills are not anywhere near Max's and I think that RBR car was just too much for him to handle. I REALLY wanted Albon to do well - he's a hell of a nice guy by all aspects; but again, RBR's car was so hard to drive my guess is only a few on the grid could have driven that car like Max did (maybe not even Louis, but I could see Kimi handling it as well as possibly Sainz). Albon just couldn't get it together; but I have a feeling he was instrumental in helping settle the rear end twitch down. I wish nothing but the best of luck for Albon. I think Albon is much more of a racer than Gasly - just look at his moves and he was quite fearless at times.

Reactions: STUKA
Saw Seb when he was just starting out (when stationed in Germany) and pointed out to my friend that he was the only guy driving the same line as Schumi...very special driver.

Loved Lewis until he went hard left and started injecting politics into the sport...so sick of that. Really respect Fred (Fernando Alonso) as a driver, but he’s the biggest prima donna in the sport...yes, I know he doesn’t drive F1 anymore. But Schumi is the only one who comes close to Ayrton in my book...at least of the ‘modern’ drivers.

Some great drivers coming up now...Lando shows a lot of promise, and leClerc is gonna be a monster...him and Verstappen are probably the best drivers in the field right now behind Lewis. There are several drivers who can win when the stars align, hell every F1 driver’s there for a reason, but those three can make the magic happen even when the situation isn’t perfect.

edit: gonna be interesting to watch the Haas team this year with Schumi’s son on board.

Last edited:
I realize it’s Indy, but I’m looking forward to the race in Nashville in August.

I'm pumped, as usual, for the start of the season. Looking forward to some better competition (or at least hoping for some). Will be interesting to see how the mid-pack teams have progressed, and how the front of the field looks. I'm no fan of Ferrari, but if they can give MB a run, then have at it. I expect Red Bull to be stronger than last year, and hope to see them grab a few wins as well.

As for Alonso, meh, not all that excited. I really liked him when he was first with Renault, giving Senna fits, but once he joined McLaren and started playing politics he lost me. Now I think he's a bit over the hill for the sport, but I guess we'll see.

Really looking forward to seeing Ricciardo in the McLaren, and hopefully seeing he and Lando up near the front.

Overall, just hoping for a bunch of good racing and a title that goes down to the last race.

Reactions: STUKA
I was looking forward to NASA TX race @ ECR, but my car won't be ready in time. I got run off the track at MSRC last race and need to fix shit. I can't wait for F1 to start. I DVR everything, so I can watch when I want. This year I have a 70" Flat screen I got a Costco, it should be awesome.

That said, I believe MB is sand bagging like they always do and Hamilton will be out front. You can see that his car is so much better than Bottas' car. Just insert another driver and they'll do awesome. Might have to do with how Hamilton and his engineers working together to set the car up. I would like to see Schumacher do well, but he is with Haas so there's that. Ricardo and Kimi are my favorite drivers so, I want them to do well. I would love to see Bottas beat Hamilton in a few more races this year, but I doubt MB will let that happen. Might be more fun for Bottas to go to another team.

We used to go them when they had races in Indy, but not so much anymore. All F1 has been the last few years is the Mercedes show, the only competition is in the mid pack. Unless it rains, or someone has a mechanical or big crash, you can basically pick the finishing of the races before they even start. Also once they dumped refueling and went to one tire manufacturer, there's basically no alternative pit/tire strategy that works anymore. The tire compounds now are so close in performance that there isn't enough fall off or speed benefit to the softer compounds that make alternative tire strategies every pay off unless you are a mid/back pack runner looking to maybe break into the points.

It's better than Nascar.........but the gap is closing significantly the last few years! :ROFLMAO:

I was looking forward to NASA TX race @ ECR, but my car won't be ready in time. I got run off the track at MSRC last race and need to fix shit. I can't wait for F1 to start. I DVR everything, so I can watch when I want. This year I have a 70" Flat screen I got a Costco, it should be awesome.

That said, I believe MB is sand bagging like they always do and Hamilton will be out front. You can see that his car is so much better than Bottas' car. Just insert another driver and they'll do awesome. Might have to do with how Hamilton and his engineers working together to set the car up. I would like to see Schumacher do well, but he is with Haas so there's that. Ricardo and Kimi are my favorite drivers so, I want them to do well. I would love to see Bottas beat Hamilton in a few more races this year, but I doubt MB will let that happen. Might be more fun for Bottas to go to another team.
We can pray RBR isn't sitting on their butts these last 2 weeks.

Ahh, Eagles Canyon. That place kicked my ass a few years back; but granted my tires were old and hard and I was running street tires to boot. I'd just picked up my car from my "goto" shop in the DFW area. I hadn't driven my car in 3 years on the track (actually 3 years period) so it was definitely not fun sliding all over the place, not knowing turn-in and apex points.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
We used to go them when they had races in Indy, but not so much anymore. All F1 has been the last few years is the Mercedes show, the only competition is in the mid pack. Unless it rains, or someone has a mechanical or big crash, you can basically pick the finishing of the races before they even start. Also once they dumped refueling and went to one tire manufacturer, there's basically no alternative pit/tire strategy that works anymore. The tire compounds now are so close in performance that there isn't enough fall off or speed benefit to the softer compounds that make alternative tire strategies every pay off unless you are a mid/back pack runner looking to maybe break into the points.

It's better than Nascar.........but the gap is closing significantly the last few years! :ROFLMAO:
Tire compounds stopped counting when they stopped refueling.
thr whole mystery of fuel load,pit stop strategy to what tire was on the car was what made tires matter

Tire compounds stopped counting when they stopped refueling.
thr whole mystery of fuel load,pit stop strategy to what tire was on the car was what made tires matter
I’m ok with no refuel but either they need more compounds or more manufacturers and do away with the you must run two compounds bs. That said how many tire companies know how to make an F1 tire.

Agreed, tire strategies are so useless with the rules now, letting them run whatever compounds they want couldn't possibly increase the boredom factor. That said I'd bet it's part of the "reduce cost" efforts that are turning F1 into nascar. If you let teams run whatever tires they want they'll all bring enough of each compound to run the whole race and qualify/practice on each compound. The 2 compound rule probably means they can bring fewer tires because they have to use some of at least 2 types every race.

I'd also imagine if they wanted to they could engineer the tire compounds with more delta in speed and longevity that you could really mix things up, but making teams use 2 compounds during the race kneecaps that strategy. It's double impacted by the fact that all of these cars now are worthless in traffic due to the aero problems so charing through the pack at the end of the race even with significantly better tires is basically impossible unless you are in a Mercedes, and even they struggle massively back in traffic.

Merc designed their cars to qualify and due to that aero disturbance once in front, hard to pass or actually practically impossible. We shall see in 1 hour 23 minutes.

Yep it's a hard strategy to argue with as long as they keep being able to qualify up front and hop into clean air.

It's double impacted by the fact that all of these cars now are worthless in traffic due to the aero problems so charing through the pack at the end of the race even with significantly better tires is basically impossible unless you are in a Mercedes, and even they struggle massively back in traffic.
Amen Brother.

My solution to costs and passing and general competition

Allow no more aero than the 1968 indy turbine cars If it extends from the body, and has no purpose other than affecting air flow its a NO! (exception, allow radiator pods) Limit power plants to internal combustion only of say three liters
7549A286-94ED-4B95-BBC2-9DA2F76F3E59.png

As much as reducing aero is a cost savings, what your explaining is a series that turns lap times as fast as a porsche gt3.
That gets boring real fast

Wow!!!! Tell me, is Max that much better than Perez? Or did Perez just mess up royally?

Poor Seb, he definitely looks washed up.

As much as reducing aero is a cost savings, what your explaining is a series that turns lap times as fast as a porsche gt3.
That gets boring real fast
Point taken but my thoughts are that absolute speed is not the entire story. Watching MotoGP is not as fast as GP but one heck of a lot more entertaining. During this past season, in most of the races, it was hard to tell who is going to win is not known until the moment the checker flag was waved.

I understand that there may not be a huge push at the front; however, the last few years the racing between 5-12 has been spectacular. Also, the point of Formula One has NEVER been about entertainment (that's what NASCAR is for), but for technological development that can eventually trickle down to the common automobile as well as having the best of the best drivers (for the most part).

That's not to say there isn't talent in IndyCar and NASCAR - though I don't know of any current NASCAR that could compete in F-1 unless JPM is still playing the game and he really wasn't a competitor in F-1.

The real racing is in Sports Car (IMSA/LeMans) - the last few years it's shocking how close 24 Daytona, 12 Sebring, and LeMans has been - last lap stuff after that many hours.

i have to disagree. In the years that the championship was created (1950 to 1967) it was about competition and entertainment. And, without entertainment, there really is no sponsorship, without sponsorship, no bucks and to quote a movie, no bucks no Lewis Hamilton.

Now how they survived the early years is difficult to understand, How the smaller builders managed to actually fund the program? Some dollars was earned by selling customer cars. Some, like Ferrari, Lotus and Maserati, funded their programs by selling road vehicles. But still it had to be a stretch. (Even with the small teams, small shops and engine companies providing power plants to many teams.). Of course in those days, there was no outright sponsorship on the vehicles.

So, developing trickle down technology. So much of the ideas used in todays F1 vehicles was first tried in simpler forms in road vehicles. My sarcastic (and overly simplistic) description of todays F1 engines is that they are fancy Toyota Pruis’. Dynamic braking, been done on railroad locomotives since well before World War II. And, today’s aero is so outrageously ridiculous that it won’t even be found on aircraft much less road going vehicles. (Exception, rear defusers which my 2000 Corvette. Of which the basic design was finalized well before 1995)

So my last word is, the technology is moot and without entertainment, no bucks, no Vettle, no Hamilton, no Schumacher, no Verstapen.

Been a neat and thoughtful debate.

I give you the last thoughts.

i have to disagree. In the years that the championship was created (1950 to 1967) it was about competition and entertainment. And, without entertainment, there really is no sponsorship, without sponsorship, no bucks and to quote a movie, no bucks no Lewis Hamilton.

Now how they survived the early years is difficult to understand, How the smaller builders managed to actually fund the program? Some dollars was earned by selling customer cars. Some, like Ferrari, Lotus and Maserati, funded their programs by selling road vehicles. But still it had to be a stretch. (Even with the small teams, small shops and engine companies providing power plants to many teams.). Of course in those days, there was no outright sponsorship on the vehicles.

So, developing trickle down technology. So much of the ideas used in todays F1 vehicles was first tried in simpler forms in road vehicles. My sarcastic (and overly simplistic) description of todays F1 engines is that they are fancy Toyota Pruis’. Dynamic braking, been done on railroad locomotives since well before World War II. And, today’s aero is so outrageously ridiculous that it won’t even be found on aircraft much less road going vehicles. (Exception, rear defusers which my 2000 Corvette. Of which the basic design was finalized well before 1995)

So my last word is, the technology is moot and without entertainment, no bucks, no Vettle, no Hamilton, no Schumacher, no Verstapen.

Been a neat and thoughtful debate.

I give you the last thoughts.
Lol. Valid points and I cannot completely disagree for I quit watching with Schumacher because it was a one man show. So I’m hypocritical in that aspect. However, there is no doubt in my mind that F-1 has been for at least 40 years been technology driven.

I think the problem is that these power units are just too expensive. They had the solution handed to them by Porsche and it would have been cheap from engine perspective. But then you get to the aero shit. That’s the problem with the overtaking and how Hamilton can be 6-8 seconds ahead after one lap.

Should be interesting, but overall we've seen this in past seasons where it "looks" like someone other than Mercedes might be competitive the first couple races, and by race 5 the season is over from a constructor/driver championship aspect. I think the delta between Verstappen and their 2nd driver shows how good he can drive, but also how much he is wringing out of a car that's still second class compared to the Mercedes.

The only two things that seemed to be new, is that if possible the HAAS cars are even worse, and Ferrari seems to have gone from a solid 2-3rd manufacturer to 4-5th.

3rd place was 35+ seconds behind 2nd place, 6th place was a minute back, and half the field was lapped....so they clearly have not improved anything on the competitiveness across the cars.

Reactions: pilotjoe
I was just having this discussion with another Hide member; but I've added a few things

My observations after a whopping 1 race are:
1) Looks like merc will win another championship; but will have to work harder.​
a) though this was somewhat a case of Rule for Louis, then rules for the rest of you since Louis had been overrunning turn 4 every time (admittedly) saving his tires.​
b) Should have an electronic system (if they don't) which after 3 transgressions each one after that knocks 0.01 sec off the time. Better yet, more old school tracks where the penalty is you don't finish.​
c) Max made a mistake or 2 after having to give up position (I'm sure he was majorly pissed).​
2) Bottas should be replaced by Mr. Saturday, George Russell​
3) Perez is good; but not significantly better than Alex Albon​
4) Sebastian Vettel is washed up - seriously, didn't he run into the back of 1 or 2 cars last year as well?​
5) Still out on Alonso; but in much better driving condition than Seb.​
6) Why does Haas even bother with fielding a team? I've been a supporter, since in theory it's American; but fact is they suck - majorly. Megaspin is AWFUL, Schumacher isn't much better. Haas would have been better off getting somebody like Hulkenberg to team up with Schumacher. Megaspin is likely to finish last in every race.​
7) Otmar Szafnauer is a cry baby, cried like one all last year about being accused of cheating (which they more or less were) and now about the new aero.​
8) Hoping Lando is actually going to consistently beat Danny Ric (I've never really bought into his skills vs others).​

Should be interesting, but overall we've seen this in past seasons where it "looks" like someone other than Mercedes might be competitive the first couple races, and by race 5 the season is over from a constructor/driver championship aspect. I think the delta between Verstappen and their 2nd driver shows how good he can drive, but also how much he is wringing out of a car that's still second class compared to the Mercedes.

The only two things that seemed to be new, is that if possible the HAAS cars are even worse, and Ferrari seems to have gone from a solid 2-3rd manufacturer to 4-5th.

3rd place was 35+ seconds behind 2nd place, 6th place was a minute back, and half the field was lapped....so they clearly have not improved anything on the competitiveness across the cars.
Agree about Max. I've said since 2018 this kid is faster than Hamilton, just doesn't have the car under him. You said it, the delta between Max and Checo was shocking. If it happens again the next few races we'll know just how freaking good Max is. I'll give Checo 2-3 races to get into form...after all, Albon was rookie his first year and only had 26 total races with Red Bull. Checo has been in F-1 10 years and "should" be able to get up to speed faster.

I also don't think Max is hiding anything from the other guys...he knows if he's going to win F-1 Championship, he HAS to have a competitive teammate. Quite a disappointment for RBR I'd say.

The other thing I didn't mention above, though whilst Ferrari isn't a "3" team right now, as much as I hate to say it...LeClerc is "for real."

Vettel though is really a shock to me. Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

Though this season may prove interesting in setting the line-ups for 2022.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
The real racing is in Sports Car (IMSA/LeMans) - the last few years it's shocking how close 24 Daytona, 12 Sebring, and LeMans has been - last lap stuff after that many hours.

Can't argue that! Endurance sports cars are what got me interested in racing all those years ago (50+) and they are still my favorite. Amazing racing all through the long events. Cool cars too. Sports cars and F1 are both at the top of my list, followed by Indy and then the rest (including NASCAR and bikes).

Can't argue that! Endurance sports cars are what got me interested in racing all those years ago (50+) and they are still my favorite. Amazing racing all through the long events. Cool cars too. Sports cars and F1 are both at the top of my list, followed by Indy and then the rest (including NASCAR and bikes).
Wait.....am I logged in under a different name? Could be, except 50+ would be more like 40+ for me ;). Even NASCAR on road course is fun to watch.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Wait.....am I logged in under a different name? Could be, except 50+ would be more like 40+ for me ;). Even NASCAR on road course is fun to watch.

LOL, I'm glad there are a few other "senior" racing fans in our group! I caught the "bug" when Ford introduced the GT-40. My grandfather and uncle were Ford dealers, so I, as a young lad, got all kinds of promotional materials on the GT-40, and just simply fell in love. I still think the GT-40 is the best looking racing car ever. I also have a huge soft spot for the Porsche 917. What a brute, and a good-looking one at that!

Love the older F1 cars too. I'm talking the late 60's/early 70's cars, before so much of the aero took over. All-time favorite is Dan Gurney's '67 Eagle. What a beautiful machine that thing was.

Ok, enough of the trip down memory lane. We are where we are and we have to deal with it. I'm disappointed that Max didn't win yesterday. I'm disappointed that Perez didn't show me what I had expected. Hopefully he will improve. I'm excited that Lando did so well, and hope he continues. (Us Norris folks have to stick together!) Hope Ricciardo shows well too. (Yes, I'm a McLaren fan!)

I agree that Seb looked horrible and really should probably just hang it up. Looks like Haas has exacerbated their relative un-competitiveness by hiring two pretty lame drivers (especially Mazaspin). Not expecting much from them this year.

And on we go to race two!

LOL, I'm glad there are a few other "senior" racing fans in our group! I caught the "bug" when Ford introduced the GT-40. My grandfather and uncle were Ford dealers, so I, as a young lad, got all kinds of promotional materials on the GT-40, and just simply fell in love. I still think the GT-40 is the best looking racing car ever. I also have a huge soft spot for the Porsche 917. What a brute, and a good-looking one at that!

Love the older F1 cars too. I'm talking the late 60's/early 70's cars, before so much of the aero took over. All-time favorite is Dan Gurney's '67 Eagle. What a beautiful machine that thing was.

Ok, enough of the trip down memory lane. We are where we are and we have to deal with it. I'm disappointed that Max didn't win yesterday. I'm disappointed that Perez didn't show me what I had expected. Hopefully he will improve. I'm excited that Lando did so well, and hope he continues. (Us Norris folks have to stick together!) Hope Ricciardo shows well too. (Yes, I'm a McLaren fan!)

I agree that Seb looked horrible and really should probably just hang it up. Looks like Haas has exacerbated their relative un-competitiveness by hiring two pretty lame drivers (especially Mazaspin). Not expecting much from them this year.

And on we go to race two!
100% agree there sir. I got into F-1 in early 80's. Probably 82/83. I remember Rene Arnoux/Patrick Tambay so that was 82 and/or 83. Then I became I massive Prost fan. The 917, I remember the first time I saw one in person, Rennsport Reunion II, and I was blow away by how freaking small they are - tiny; but bad ass. As were some of those flat-8 hill climb cars.

I went and replayed the pass yesterday and Hamilton definitely exited wide and IMO Max ran wide more to keep from getting hit in the rear tires and not being spun around - you know, that move Hamilton likes to do on people - like he did with Albon twice!!! Rules for thee, not for me - Louis Hamilton.

Last edited:
Enjoyed the race Sunday morning. That was Max's race to lose. I really thought he would pull it off in the end. I was really impressed that Perez was able to come from back of the pack and fight thru the field to end up 5th. That electrical issue sure made it tougher for RBR as they need both cars to pressure Mercedes. That new kid, Tsunoda looks like he has a promising future. I was shocked in qualifying when AlphaTauri showed up to play. I didn't think they were as quick as they are. I expected them to be hiding with Haas, Williams in the bottom during qualifying. They are going to be more competitive in the midpack than I expected.

Track limits definitely need to be enforced evenly across the board. This subjective approach to enforcement needs to be corrected by the stewards asap. Not sure if they could place more aggressive kerbs to place a physical cost on the vehicles of those that violate track limits as the safety issue may make that impractical.

Enjoyed the race Sunday morning. That was Max's race to lose. I really thought he would pull it off in the end. I was really impressed that Perez was able to come from back of the pack and fight thru the field to end up 5th. That electrical issue sure made it tougher for RBR as they need both cars to pressure Mercedes. That new kid, Tsunoda looks like he has a promising future. I was shocked in qualifying when AlphaTauri showed up to play. I didn't think they were as quick as they are. I expected them to be hiding with Haas, Williams in the bottom during qualifying. They are going to be more competitive in the midpack than I expected.

Track limits definitely need to be enforced evenly across the board. This subjective approach to enforcement needs to be corrected by the stewards asap. Not sure if they could place more aggressive kerbs to place a physical cost on the vehicles of those that violate track limits as the safety issue may make that impractical.
problem is all the teams bitch when the curbs are too harsh, but the rules arent enforced????

sounds like the liberal media lolololol...sorry i had to

please dont make this the 1,000th political thread

Then I became I massive Prost fan.

Ah, Prost! Still my all-time favorite F1 driver. So smooth. Didn't look fast, and that's why he was fast! Saw him in person a few times, with both McLaren and Ferrari. One of the great ones.

Also really liked Gilles Villeneuve. He was really something. Saw him in a minor formula at Road America early in his career. Was fun to watch even then. I pegged him as an up-and-comer. And he sure was! Such a great loss to the sport when he was killed.

The 917, I remember the first time I saw one in person, Rennsport Reunion II, and I was blow away by how freaking small they are - tiny; but bad ass.

They are very small for sure. And they are BEASTS! Was at Road America for the Can-Am race in 1973 when Mark Donohue had the 917-30 there, and it was amazing! Just a blue blur down the straight toward Corner 5. And the sound!!

Have been to RA for the vintage races a few times, so got to see a bunch of different 917 variants on track. So, so cool!!

I went and replayed the pass yesterday and Hamilton definitely exited wide and IMO Max ran wide more to keep from getting hit in the rear tires and not being spun around - you know, that move Hamilton likes to do on people - like he did with Albon twice!!! Rules for thee, not for me - Louis Hamilton.

I am really sick and tired of Lewis winning all the time. I sure hope Max, and maybe some others, find the speed to challenge this year. Otherwise it's gonna be pretty boring (again). Oh well....

• Love
Boy, y'all are awful quiet! Nobody has any comments on this weekend's race?? Come on!! Ok, I'll start.

VERY interesting race, what with the rain at the beginning and all the craziness that causes. Max took command right away and never really looked back. Good for him! SO happy for Lando's podium. McLaren is my long-time favorite team, so glad to see them starting to move back up the pack again. Perez showed some speed in qualie, but didn't have such a good race. Lewis got REALLY lucky with the red flag (at the expense of his teammate). Overall a pretty exciting event!

Let's hear it!!

Reactions: M145O
Well while I am not a fan of Lewis he did a great job of getting back onto the podium after making that huge mistake. WTF, Bottas?! Bottas is not performing at the level he should be. I was really happy that Max got Lewis at the start and that he won. Perez qualified really well, but was no where in the race. Fucking Haas is no where near the level they were last year and that was bad. It can't be the drivers at this point, the fucking cars suck. Vettal, Alonso, and (my favorite driver) Kimi should all hand it up and let some of the F2 drivers in.

like most sports the old guys stay around 1-2 years too long

they keep them around for name recognition and sponsors but they hvae no chance getting a podium in a midpack car anymore

if something happens in the race etc they might squeek in

ferrari as mich as their equipment hasnt been up to snuff, they know drivers

kimi left...never heard from again
alonso left..never heard from again
vettle left...should retire