• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any field reports on 22 Creed AR10s?

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    I ran this cartridge this season out of a bolt gun and am now considering it in a semi-auto platform. Plan would be 1/8 twist, 22” barrel +2 gas with premium components. 75gr ELDm at 34-3500 shouldn’t be a problem. Knowing there have been reliability issues pop up with the 6 Creedmoor, do you of you guys have experience with the 22?

I think you need more than a +2 gas. My 24" 6 Creedmoor is a +3 and runs factory hornady fine. Copper creek is a little hot. Flat primers with some extractor imprinting. Plan to reload for that barrel in the future.

This season? Like competition season? Bear in mind that if you are competing in PRS or NRL, they both have a velocity max of 3200 FPS. If you’re not competing in either, never mind...

Sorry, night coyote hunting season. My hunting season ends March 15 for my thermal rig so I usually take the summer to try new gear or setup before the following November. I have plenty of daytime rigs so this would be a very specific application.
    I was impressed with my 80gr ELDm load at 3500fps out of my Desert Tech. I love the compactness of the bullpup but follow up shots on a runner would be faster with an AR10.
    I can’t have a temperamental semi though that needs everything perfect to run. I thought about running the lighter varmint loads in a 6.5, but the 22 smacks hard with awesome BC.
    All my rounds will be handloads so that’s not an issue.

I’m building a new night gun as well. Craddock is turning me a 24” 22 creed with a +2 gas system on an 8 twist Bartlein as we speak. I spoke with JP as well as a few others running 22 and 243 AR-10s and have been directed towards the standard VMOS bcg with HP bolt, H2 scs, and an adjustable gas block. Sub’d for more details.

Awesome, Craddock was going to be my first stop. I’m looking at a side charger upper for ease of loading without making too much noise. Chamber cut so I can load pmag length rounds without crazy jumps. I’m a fan of plastic mags for winter weather. I’d imagine +2 should be fine with an adjustable gas block and tunable SCS. It should be a fun project

Sounds like a cool project. I have no experience with the 22 variety, but plenty with various 6mm AR10s.
    You're probably not going to be able to run rounds in an AR nearly as hot as a bolt gun without problems, so you may have to adjust your velocity expectations. However, anything over 3000 FPS with a varmint bullet like a Vmax is a DRT scenario on coyotes.
    I haven't had any feeding problems with my 6 Creed, but there are those who have. Some believe that the shoulder angle of the 243 lends itself better to feeding in an AR, so a 22-243 may be more reliable, but then you may not be able to run those high BC pills. - Just some things to consider...

With little 22 Creedmoor experience I have, I don’t think my velocity expectations are too far off. I only had a week or so to do a load work up for the DT. I never saw pressure with H4350/80gr ELDm at 3500 out of a 24” barrel. I stopped there because I had great accuracy and good SD plus some wiggle room for when the temperature heats up.
    We’re running right at 3,000fps with 75gr ELDs out of the Valkyries with CFE223 so I’d imagine another 400fps out of the Creed shouldn’t be too hard. Plus I’m won’t be concerned with brass life because most of it will be a one time deal.

Yeah, I've got a 224 Predator in a small frame AR (6.5 grendel necked down to 224) and am getting 3060 from 75 ELDM with good accuracy and without pressure signs. No need to go up to a large frame if you're not looking for speed.

@dang472 that sounds like a really cool build. I'd definitely also recommend the JP Heavy SCS (JPSCS2-10H2), an adjustable gas block, a +2 gas system and the Heavy Variable mass carrier (JPBC-7H2 BCG). With the adjustable gas block and extended gas port limiting the gas used to cycle the rifle and the heavier operating system also delaying unlocking you should be able to tune the system so you get a nice cycling rig.

I'm setting up a 6 Creed gas gun right now and I'm doing a lot of the same stuff.

@dang472 that sounds like a really cool build. I'd definitely also recommend the JP Heavy SCS (JPSCS2-10H2), an adjustable gas block, a +2 gas system and the Heavy Variable mass carrier (JPBC-7H2 BCG). With the adjustable gas block and extended gas port limiting the gas used to cycle the rifle and the heavier operating system also delaying unlocking you should be able to tune the system so you get a nice cycling rig.

I'm setting up a 6 Creed gas gun right now and I'm doing a lot of the same stuff.
    I ordered the heavy AR15 SCS for my 224 Predator build. There was too much weight in the buffer and the rifle did not have enough gas to cycle (even with the light weight spring). I replaced the tungsten weights with the steel weights from JP rifles (recreating a standard weight SCS) and the rifle runs great. This may not be a problem with the large frame gun, as there should be much more gas to run the system, but adding a couple of the steel weights to the order doesn't break the bank and may save some hassle. Assuming, that is, that the AR-15 SCS and the AR-10 SCS use the same size weights.

Yeah I dealt with that with my 2 6.5 ARs. Went with SCS heavy on one with a titanium lightweight carrier and a SLR gas block. I had to run wide open for reliable last round lock back. I bought a standard SCS and plan on playing around with different weight combos.

I really have a fondness for speed with my night thermal rig. 150 yard zero puts me only a MIL low at 400. That covers all but the Hail Mary shots on a coyote. Even at a 800-1000 round barrel life, that’s several seasons worth of fur.

I ordered the heavy AR15 SCS for my 224 Predator build. There was too much weight in the buffer and the rifle did not have enough gas to cycle (even with the light weight spring). I replaced the tungsten weights with the steel weights from JP rifles (recreating a standard weight SCS) and the rifle runs great. This may not be a problem with the large frame gun, as there should be much more gas to run the system, but adding a couple of the steel weights to the order doesn't break the bank and may save some hassle. Assuming, that is, that the AR-15 SCS and the AR-10 SCS use the same size weights.

Same weights on all the SCS and VMOS systems. The slider, thing the weights are on, changes length depending on the application and travel needed.

Placed the order for a 22” 1/8 Twist +2 gas barrel from Craddock Precision a few days ago. Should have some field results in a month or 2.