• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any home based FFL's here wanna help me get started?

Except for the C&R license

i use a paper log book and the free 4473's. Not that big of deal . I also require anyone purchasing a gun to go to the sheriff's office and get a back ground check if they don't already have a purchase permit or CC. The other gun stores in town are doing the same. Only cost them $5 and it's good for 3 years. Also no chance of a fuck up on my part. Good luck with your business, i've only had mine 6 months, and don't know if i would do it again. A lot of paperwork. A friend of mine stopped by the other day who's had his ffl for about 15 yrs. said he's giving it up. To many rule changes. I sold my store in town and had to change my address to my home which i don't want anyone in. Will just be doing gun shows from here on out unless i get another business front in town
Been in the business for 7yrs, never heard of screwing up a Nics check; it's pretty much idiot proof. I agree it's not worth it unless you're going to SOT. I gave my license up this month......... I'm not dealing with the ATF under Biden

Thanks man, someday I'll escape new jersey and these crazy laws.

Just the paperwork was enough to make you want to stop?

Thanks man, someday I'll escape new jersey and these crazy laws.

Just the paperwork was enough to make you want to stop?

Been in the business for 7yrs, never heard of screwing up a Nics check; it's pretty much idiot proof. I agree it's not worth it unless you're going to SOT. I gave my license up this month......... I'm not dealing with the ATF under Biden
i lose m LLC in middle of next year, they said i have to reapply for my ffl license under a new name. I might say to hell with it also.

I had a FFL and SOT for two year, both year were without an official LLC / business and both were out of my house before I gave them up and went into the optics side. The discounts aren't amazing unless you can buy in for some series $ direct with manufacturers. You can make decent money doing transfers tho.

Reactions: louu
I am an LLC ( NH )and yes you have to do a NICS check on yourself. Who charges $16? Is that a NJ thing? It doesn't cost me anything and no waiting period.
Yeah nj is fucked up. It's actually $15 the dealer has to charge and that goes directly to the state. I thought we had to change tax on it but it turns out we don't so it's just $15.

NJ is also fucked up because instead of the nics just going through the fbi or ATF (can't remember witch one) we have to go through the nj State police and theres always at least 400 people in front of you. So it takes the couple of people in the stste capitol a few days to go through them. I'm guessing they just put it in through the fbi or atf like a dealer in America would do.

Yeah nj is fucked up. It's actually $15 the dealer has to charge and that goes directly to the state. I thought we had to change tax on it but it turns out we don't so it's just $15.

NJ is also fucked up because instead of the nics just going through the fbi or ATF (can't remember witch one) we have to go through the nj State police and theres always at least 400 people in front of you. So it takes the couple of people in the stste capitol a few days to go through them. I'm guessing they just put it in through the fbi or atf like a dealer in America would do.
In NH for handguns ( or other ) we also have to use the State police gun line and they run the check NICS check ( FBI ). For long guns the dealer runs the NICS check ( I use the web portal ). Last year during Covid I had people waiting for days ( unconstitutional according to NH's state Constitution ) and a dealer sued the stated over it. Within weeks they hired several people to answer the calls and now they do the check while the dealer is on the phone. * Much * better process. You need a NJ dealer with some clout to do the same. ;)

First thing check with your city and zoning. I'm in Ft Lauderdale and applied for the FFL for my home business. The city shot it down the day the ATF came and did his interview. ATF agent said If I was 500 yards away I could do it that was where the city of Ft Lauderdale ended. ATF said sublease a desk in another business up the street, they don't care. ATF refunded me the 200.00 since I couldn't get the FFL.

I had the conversation with my township's new zoning official last November concerning a Type 07 FFL, and we both agreed that I'm good to go per the applicable zoning regs for my property. (Her words were roughly "as long as the neighbors don't complain, and you don't have trucks coming and going all day long".)

Now that my application check has been cashed, let's see if that alignment still exists when the ATF calls her regarding my desire to manufacture guns out of my home.

Anyone know the timing of the application process nowadays? I'm expecting that it'll be slow, like everything else.

My Type 07 arrived Friday.

An ATF agent from the local office contacted me approximately four weeks ago for a preliminary phone interview. This took maybe 15 minutes and was mainly to verify the information on my application. He then contacted my township zoning official, who issued a nice letter stating that this was an allowable home business. After receiving said letter, the agent contacted me to set up an in-person interview and said I needed to block out three hours.

He opened the interview by stating that my application was one of the "very few" without errors, and that everything I provided regarding my LLC was verified correct. We reviewed a long list of regulations, most of which would be generally familiar to anyone who has regularly purchased firearms from a dealer. Very little of the information was deeply technical in nature; questions of those sort are to be directed towards the Tech Branch. I paid attention, asked what I believe were some thoughtful questions, and the agent wrapped up about 2 hours and 45 minutes later by saying that he was recommending that my application be approved. I believe he stated that licenses are printed at the end of each month and take about five business days to arrive, and that appears to be the case.

My suggestions:

1) Get approval from your zoning official before even thinking about sending off an application
2) Make sure your application is free of errors. I mean, really - it's pretty simple.
3) Pay attention during your compliance interview. There is some good info being offered and listening likely improves one's odds of getting sideways in the future.

That's about it. Time to order some various supplies and paperwork. An 02 SOT is in the plans, but I'm not sure I want to cut that check now just to do it again in less than three months, so it'll probably wait until the July 1st renewal date.

Reactions: fxdrider and louu
My Type 07 arrived Friday.

An ATF agent from the local office contacted me approximately four weeks ago for a preliminary phone interview. This took maybe 15 minutes and was mainly to verify the information on my application. He then contacted my township zoning official, who issued a nice letter stating that this was an allowable home business. After receiving said letter, the agent contacted me to set up an in-person interview and said I needed to block out three hours.

He opened the interview by stating that my application was one of the "very few" without errors, and that everything I provided regarding my LLC was verified correct. We reviewed a long list of regulations, most of which would be generally familiar to anyone who has regularly purchased firearms from a dealer. Very little of the information was deeply technical in nature; questions of those sort are to be directed towards the Tech Branch. I paid attention, asked what I believe were some thoughtful questions, and the agent wrapped up about 2 hours and 45 minutes later by saying that he was recommending that my application be approved. I believe he stated that licenses are printed at the end of each month and take about five business days to arrive, and that appears to be the case.

My suggestions:

1) Get approval from your zoning official before even thinking about sending off an application
2) Make sure your application is free of errors. I mean, really - it's pretty simple.
3) Pay attention during your compliance interview. There is some good info being offered and listening likely improves one's odds of getting sideways in the future.

That's about it. Time to order some various supplies and paperwork. An 02 SOT is in the plans, but I'm not sure I want to cut that check now just to do it again in less than three months, so it'll probably wait until the July 1st renewal date.
That's awesome!
You'll need a few of these https://nssf.force.com/CPBase__item?id=a13150000079vpYAAQ

Got something from the ATF's NFA division yesterday called a "Special Tax Stamp". This part of the process was ridiculously simple - fill out a single page with some basic information, attach a $500 check, and wait approximately a month. The only issue is that all SOTs renew on July 1st, and so it doesn't go into effect upon issuance like the FFL. 39 days and counting until the real fun begins.

And yes, it's both amusing and frustrating that it takes less time to become licensed to manufacture and import NFA items than it takes to get a paper Form 4 approved.