• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any hope at all for an M1 carbine?

JPiantedosi

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
I have an M1 carbine that essentially serves as a truck/saddle gun while I run fence and check livestock. I know accuracy and knockdown were never really this carbines strong suit, but I'm curious if there are any real options to make this use able for something other than the occasional yote, or bunny that ventures too close?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

If you reload you may be able to load some better-performing ammo but I've never researched loading for a carbine and don't know what's available bullet-wise that will work in it.

It really all comes down to what, specifically, you want to be able to do with it beyond the duty its currently engaged in as to whether the M1 Carbine is adaptable to your ends or not. Reloading for the gun to tailor your ammo to your end goals is certainly one way to go and will help both with the accuracy issues (to an extent anyway) and with addt'l muzzle energy/knockdown power (within the limits of how hot you can push pills that will run in the absurdly slow twist of the M1 carbine of only 1:20).

If you really want a semi-auto, with more effective range, precision accuracy, more energy at the muzzle and downrange. etc., etc., etc., then you are likely going to be better served to look toward an AR in any number of vastly better calibers than your average .30 Carbine round, including reloads.

I have a couple ARs and they are fine but, the carbine is just handy. I guess I had not really considered loading for it. I just didn't know if there was some cult following that had ironed out all the tricks......

Is it a legit carbine or one of the fake/reproductions? If it is a reall WW2 or mil gun, then don't mess with it. You will destroy any value it has by trying to bubba fuck it.

What could you possibly do to make it "better"? Its an anemic round in a small platform. You can't really change that. Buy an AK if you want more power on the cheap.

Yes its legit we have 2 that found their way home from the Philippines. I have no intention of bub a fucking anything I had a question now I have an answer. I assumed it was basically as good as it was but thought there might be some reasonable options. It was not really about cheap it was about getting a little more out of this fun plinker.

Love it for what it is.

For a handgun some people carry a .25 auto. I guess it suits a purpose when clothing or desire require and it's better than nothing in time of need.

The M1 carbine was meant to be a replacement for the 1911 but reality was that people still wanted to carry the pistol as it was less cumbersome, a pistol was always on your body and even if you had a rifle it was nice to have a pistol as backup.

In the Pacific where distances were short and the enemy only wore thin shirts the M1 carbine was effective and from the number of them shown in pictures may have been preferred over the M1 Garand. In Korea the padded snow suits of the Chinese proved to be too much for the M1 carbine.

I think working a ranch where your doing a lot of handwork a little gun like the carbine would be good for killing snakes or whatever gets in your way at close range but an AR would handle the weather, bumps/bruises better and give you better accuracy while still being handy if that's what you are looking for.

Think of the M1 as a long pistol. If that won't work for you sounds like you need a different type of rifle.

Thanks guys typically in my truck I have a 243 or AR but in the saddle or UTV I prefer the shorter carbine

Why not a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62 x 39? Same configuration as the M1, but a round with more power. Ammo is cheap.

I think you'll find the carbine works great for you intended use. They are excellent shooters and are not as impotent as many lead on.

The problem with many carbines is some GI in the passed filed down the front sight meaning it will shoot high at the rear sight's lowest setting. Mine was like that. There are indentations on the sight base for different yard lines. On mine, to get it to shoot right at 100 yards I had to push it further, bottom it out past the 100 yard mark. But on recoil it slid back into the 100 yard indentations. It was a pain to shoot rapid fire, and remember to reset the sight.

At a CMP event I asked the Armor about this. There is nothing you can do to the rear sight. He switched out the sight with an original unmodified sight now it works perfect.

But, there marks on the sights are calibrated for 110 gr RN bullets @ 1900 - 2000 FPS. With this bullet the sights are on from 100 - 300 yards at their respective settings. Using RN 110 SP bullets this rifle will kill any coyote you hit up to 300 yards. They are designed to expand at the carbine velocities an will pass through the rib cage of a deer.

I don't see you could ask for much more then that.

Using proper ammo they are accurate.

I picked up a couple "older" 44 mag carbines. I think they're Rugers. When I was looking for an M1, they were pretty pricey, so I got the 44s. Same basic lite carbine persona, with a lot more punch. I haven't pulled one out and shot it, for quite a while, but I remember that they were a bit finicky with the loads they liked, and they only hold 4 shots in a tube mag. Still a fun gun, though. Every once in a while, I see one for sale. Usually around $4-500, in good shape.

Last edited:
A 110grn bullet at 1900fps is anemic? Perhaps, but it sounds awfully close to a .357Mag to me.

FWIW, Hornady and CorBon load .30Carbine with more effective bullets then FMJ or the old school soft points.

Bob

Good ammo makes a world of difference, a JSP load is quite effective. Also you can replace the handguard with something like a Ultimak rail and use a reddot or scope without a permanent modification. The M1 has always been somewhat underrated, feed it good ammo and within it's range limitations it works well. It's biggest drawback today is the price of good ammo, reloading is a good way to go but keep in mind that even with a carbide size die you need to lube that tapered case.

Last edited: