• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Any hunting round interchangable with 168 SMK match??

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Hey guys, never been much of a deer hunter because im colorblind and can not track and I never have a place to go. Well, I got some good friends who are giving me a place to hunt wand will help me track if necessary. So all that being said, I dont have a dedicated hunting stick, my best option is to take my 308 and either shoot 168 SMKs of try to find a hunting round (A-max, Barnes VOR-TX, Fed Fusion ect.) that is ballistically close to 168 SMK??

I guess the idea is, is there something out there close enough to not have to re-zero?

Hopefully, I get into it enough to get a dedicated stick running by next season.

Do you reload? If so, I was able to develop a 308 load with Barnes TTSX 168 that shoots really close to POA of the 168 Fed GMM.
But only did my comparison at 100 yards suppressed and it would likely be much different at longer ranges.

Pull the 168 SMK from the factory round and seat a Nosler 165 Ballistic Tip to the same overall length. It will shoot in the same hole. At least it does in my 700 PSS.

good Luck.

Ok, just checked a game cam where we will be, he has 2-300 lb hog running on a creek bottom, 168 SMK to the ear hole good enough???

Winchester ballistic silver tip 168gr factory load hit the same spot as my nosler custom competition 168gr with 50gr of imr4350.