• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Land Cruiser Owners here - Tow ? for you.

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I keep toying with dumping my Sequoia (2wd...yes...I know...) for a Series 200.

Primary reasons to get rid of Sequoia:
1) 175K (not bad in Toyota terms, but I'm like 7th owner) - I got it cheap and it's been good since I fixed the AIP issue that seems to bite the 4.7L engines the most. Bad design on the fans (capillary type system which compresses air via a Venturi effect and gets water into bearings).
2) Gen I brakes...SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Which never gave me confidence to tow my track car behind it.

So, the question would be this:
1) have any of you owners towed a car behind a Cruiser? The short wheelbase kind of concerns me in tail-wag-dog; yet, the vehicle would weigh more than the car/trailer combo.
2) if you have towed, what was weight of what you towed? Any Load distribution hitch used?

A part of me thinks the Cruiser is so much more of a better vehicle it should not be an issue; but the laws of physics dictate that I'd most likely be best purchasing a Gen 2 4wd Sequoia.

Suggestions. Only considering Toyota here (or the Lexus equivalent) - pre-owned only.

A LC tows great. Curb weight is all over #6000 and it has plenty of power and stability with it's wide track. Brakes are oversized and work well. Use a weight distributing hitch for any long hauls over #5000 or so but otherwise it's a solid tow platform. We have had several and 2 of the 200's.

Last edited:
Reactions: BytorJr
I towed a mates car behind my 80 Series on the weekend - does that count?

Attachments

• 20210420_182333.jpg
    20210420_182333.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: MarshallDodge
I towed a mates car behind my 80 Series on the weekend - does that count?
LOL. well, not in this particular instance; but an 80 is out of the question. Not enough HP or brakes for long haul.

Are we talking FJ40 Land Cruiser? Or the Gen 2 J60 or J70?

Towing behind SWB vehicles is really bad news. I tried towing behind my Land Rover NAS D90 years ago. And it was terrifying above 40 MPH... Trailer wagged me all over the place.

Towing needs wheelbase.

Land cruisers (Early) don't have it.

But what LC are you thinking about?

SIrhr

I have an 80 and would only tow light stuff with it, it struggles on highway by itself.

guys in my cruiser club have 200’s with a small lift, and they do some tundra upgrade on the front end, can’t remember. They do well and have no complaints other than ground clearnace and bumpers are huge.

short wheel base is an issue, so i would watch what you tow with it. It is the best full size suv on the market, but you pay for it!

I keep toying with dumping my Sequoia (2wd...yes...I know...) for a Series 200.

Primary reasons to get rid of Sequoia:
1) 175K (not bad in Toyota terms, but I'm like 7th owner) - I got it cheap and it's been good since I fixed the AIP issue that seems to bite the 4.7L engines the most. Bad design on the fans (capillary type system which compresses air via a Venturi effect and gets water into bearings).
2) Gen I brakes...SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! Which never gave me confidence to tow my track car behind it.

So, the question would be this:
1) have any of you owners towed a car behind a Cruiser? The short wheelbase kind of concerns me in tail-wag-dog; yet, the vehicle would weigh more than the car/trailer combo.
2) if you have towed, what was weight of what you towed? Any Load distribution hitch used?

A part of me thinks the Cruiser is so much more of a better vehicle it should not be an issue; but the laws of physics dictate that I'd most likely be best purchasing a Gen 2 4wd Sequoia.

Suggestions. Only considering Toyota here (or the Lexus equivalent) - pre-owned only.

Why not a Tundra?

I had to turn away from a land cruiser when I saw a base msrp of 86k but they are tanks and last a long time.

Reactions: SmileMaker
<--UZJ 100; one thing to consider is how often you're towing vs all the rest of the benefits.

FWIW I like to shoot at night esp in the winter as it gets dark early. Snow / ice, logging roads in the forest - all by my lonesome; been in some real shitty spots. Once I had to do some digging; otherwise it will crawl it's ass out of / walk down anything w/ 100% control with good mudders, and I don't even have a Dif lock.

headed in.jpg

Attachments

• 25 target.jpg
    25 target.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 34
Selling our unmolested 2017. I towed a 2500-3000lb boat and trailer a little bit. No problems. Took a 18' empty enclosed for a trip and had to turn around and grab the truck. The trailer had a modified ramp door with way more weight than original and it was a shit show with the lift force on the tongue. It was still sketchy w the pickup, but the swb was definitely noticeable with that unbalanced load

Are we talking FJ40 Land Cruiser? Or the Gen 2 J60 or J70?

Towing behind SWB vehicles is really bad news. I tried towing behind my Land Rover NAS D90 years ago. And it was terrifying above 40 MPH... Trailer wagged me all over the place.

Towing needs wheelbase.

Land cruisers (Early) don't have it.

But what LC are you thinking about?

SIrhr
The current Series 200 Land Cruiser, so I guess that's a J70. I don't tow much; but I think the wheelbase problem is a major issue. Even my Gen 1 Tundra is a bit small in wheelbase (but mainly brakes SUUUUUCCCCCCKKKK). Seriously toying with a newer Sequoia....they're cheaper than a Cruiser, not the same quality I know, but significantly cheaper. More room to haul stuff to range, more room to store "track stuff" if I get back into that and longer wheelbase as well.

As for a Tundra, if I were buying a pickup, then I'd buy a Tundra (despite the shitty gas mileage of ALL Toyota body on frame products). Want a sport-ute for the security of storing and for the critter.

I've had several starting with and 85 FJ60. They last for damn ever. None of them tow like the 200 series we have had the for the last 2......with a 5.7 Big, heavy, powerful and all wheel drive. You can even adjust the headlight angle from the cab for loading the rear springs.

Last edited:
I've had several starting with and 85 FJ60. They last for damn ever. None of them tow like the 200 series we have had the for the last 2......with a 5.7 Big, heavy, powerful and all wheel drive. You can even adjust the headlight angle from the cab for loading the rear springs.
I should add, that this won't be seeing many hills. Mostly flat to where I'd tow. But good to know. I would not consider it with anything other than a 200. This would mainly be to the range, maybe some duck hunting in AR, float trips. I've seen a few used 2009-2011 for 32K or so with 130K miles. Which, if it has dealer records, I'd snatch in a heartbeat.

Don't get hun g up on dealer records. That means all the preventive maintenance was handled by the dumbest most unskilled people in the service shop. Lots of LC people are gear heads and do their own to a much higher degree of competence. As long as the owner has records or you pull up like at my house and there is a well equipped shop and lift. The last one I traded to a dealer and the potential buyer called me. I sent him a picture of the shop and pictures of my service notes.

Reactions: BytorJr
If you are worried about stopping purchase a trailer with brakes.
Have to be careful with that option now days. Some states are starting to require a CDL to drag trailers with brakes. I believe Texas has already adopted that rule if I understand right.

Have to be careful with that option now days. Some states are starting to require a CDL to drag trailers with brakes. I believe Texas has already adopted that rule if I understand right.
Florida requires a CDL with air brakes or if your total weight exceeds 26K. I tow 15k daily with a 7,200 pound truck. Electric brakes are the ticket

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I definitely would not be worried about brake on a Series 200.

On my Sequoia...trailer brakes or not...the brakes suck in normal conditions. No purchase is pending at the moment...just keeping eyes open. Maybe I'll do my Sequoia brakes myself and rebuild the calipers and get some cryo-treated rotors with TRD pads. Love the Sequoia even if it is Gen 1; but there are issues for sure that I'm doing the cost/benefit on at the moment. Had to cough up for new rubber not too long ago, so other than the brakes and probably new shocks it's good. But by the time I do brakes and shocks, even for myself...would I be better with a getting serious about a "200?" That's a question I guess only I can answer. Thank.

Just bought a 2021 to replace 2002 Big Lexus with 167K. 5.7 V8, get em while you can as last production year.
Only option going forward is LX570 with the locomotive cow-catcher grill and extra Lexus $$.