• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any LEO depts. issue 6.8s instead of 5.56?

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
Just curious - has anyone heard of a police dept. issuing 6.8s to the officers instead of 5.56s?

Re: Any LEO depts. issue 6.8s instead of 5.56?

There are some officers who are fortunate enough to get the approval of heir chief to let them carry the 6.8 instead of the 5.56 on duty. rcrandall over on the LWRC forums is one of them. There are also some SWAT teams using them.

I am familar with an agency that is discussing the option. They have had poor 223 performance versus barriers.

I know a tracking team that switched to 7.62x39 ARs, less deflection in the brush was their reasoning.

I thought Dallas SWAT was using 6.8's but my source is the crappy toughest warrior show on TV.

I think for all but some anomalies (read: wealthy jurisdictions)...that would be WAAAYYY cost prohibitive.

Would be nice to have a little more punch in a patrol rifle, though, huh?

-Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROB T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Would be nice to have a little more punch in a patrol rifle, though, huh?

-Rob </div></div>

In non-urban areas I would think an 18" M1A would be primo.

Yeah...we're lucky. We can carry pretty much what we want, within parameters...that's both handguns and long rifles. Being a larger town in a rural state, we get a bit of all of it so far as terrain, population density, etc.

We all carry 5.56s with one exception, he carries a 6.8 and is a devotee.

The ammo, however, is much more expensive...and he ends up buying most all of his own.

-Rob

We got some guys using M14's but no 6.8's

LAPD Swat is supposed to be using the LWRC 6.8 At least according to Deadliest Warrior on Spike

I am the chief in a small town department and carry both a 5.56 and 6.8 in my patrol car. All of our rifles are provided by the individual officer. Most of my guys carry 5.56 but that is what they already had.

Sanford/Orlando Airport Authority Police issue LWRC's in 6.8. They've got a pipeline into that Homeland Security cash, or at least they did for a while. We haven't had the round approved yet, but I think it may be on our next policy revision.