• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Love Out There for Springfield Armory M21

Rio2019

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2020
Taos, NM
I had some sniper training while in the Air Force, and their weapon of choice was the venerable 7.62 Springfield Armory M21 (circa 1974). I just loved to train with this rifle. It felt so much more substantial when compared to the M16. Jump forward about 35 years and I found a M21 for sale on Gunbroker. There were many more accurate rifles out there for the same money, but I just wanted to have another M21 in my collection. Anyone out there have a similar story with this grand old dame’?

You might get some traffic posting this in the Vintage area.

@Random Guy can show you some sweet classic M14 with glass.

I'm not sure if he's on here but Tony Ben on youtube is like an M14/M1A pro... he's helped me a little with tweaking my M1A loaded...which I love by the way. Such a fun rifle to shoot.

A little before your time but you might enjoy putting a few rounds down range with my XM21 Replica - this is a very accurate reproduction (just the commercial receiver is the limiter). Other than the receiver it was built to XM21 Standards.

This is one of my favorite M14 clones!

Here is a link if you would like more build details:

IMG_5539.JPG

Last edited:
This is a beautiful rifle, my friend, and it reminds me of good times. Unlike many of my friends, I enjoyed my time in the service, and it made me a better man.

I own a SA M21 ( '96 ), It is a dream of a M1A. I got lucky and found a used one .... I saw it for sale and actually stopped in my tracks gawking at it.
Thankfully, The Gun Shop allowed me to make payments on it. Since I really couldn't afford the price.
It actually taught me to shoot better, it is precise enough to be able to tell when I flubbed the trigger pull or was fidgeting at the bench.

It loves the 168gr FGMM. However, if I don't keep the gas piston clean , precision falls apart after about 150rds.
It has the Douglas Hvy Barrel.

On a side note... I once tried to install a USGI vented handguard... and accuracy promptly went to poop.

As it turned out, I had no idea how much finessing SA had put into every part on the M21.
The Vented handguard was rubbing / pushing the front band.... I filed it down to be a "looser" fit, and that helped, but... then the support ribs inside the vented handguard were a issue... Lol.
I promptly put the Match prepped OEM back in place. That one has the "ribs" ground flush. So no extra barrel contact.

Precision went back to normal.

I still love that heavy beast. It has never once failed to feed or eject with CMI, those Taiwan mags and USGI mags.

Like a trusty tool, that rifle just works.

Last edited: