• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

So, just an observation here. I have a Fox dropper post on my Pivot Mach 4 and a PNW dropper post on my new hard tail. The Fox is a lot smoother than the PNW. I am not sure if it's the Kashima coating on the Fox or the PNW just needs some time to break in. I will say for the price PNW is hard to beat for the price, but if you have the money to spend I would recommend the Fox. I actually went with the PNW Loam because I was being a weight weenie and it was 36 grams lighter than the Fox. They both get really good reviews and it's your money so choose which one best fits your budget.

Reactions: jbell
I had a Transfer SL that came on my latest Blur, it was super smooth. But I am just too much of a weight weeny to run a dropper, I always end up taking them off. I can get away with it because I focus on speed over long distances vs getting really rowdy. I do think Fox makes a great post though.

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I had a Transfer SL that came on my latest Blur, it was super smooth. But I am just too much of a weight weeny to run a dropper, I always end up taking them off. I can get away with it because I focus on speed over long distances vs getting really rowdy. I do think Fox makes a great post though.
I hear you on the weight. The PNW Loam added 284 grams (10 oz). I used to only run a standard post before and I watched a lot of vids to try and see if it was worth it. From the vids it has it place and can shave time on technical downhills compared to a standard post.

In the past I would just get a little behind my seat and allow the bike to come up and hit me in the stomach. It worked and kept me from going over the handle bars. However, for now I will take the weight penalty as I am not racing and probably will just keep doing this for fun. My days of racing stopped back when NORBA was still a thing.

I hear you on the weight. The PNW Loam added 284 grams (10 oz). I used to only run a standard post before and I watched a lot of vids to try and see if it was worth it. From the vids it has it place and can shave time on technical downhills compared to a standard post.

In the past I would just get a little behind my seat and allow the bike to come up and hit me in the stomach. It worked and kept me from going over the handle bars. However, for now I will take the weight penalty as I am not racing and probably will just keep doing this for fun. My days of racing stopped back when NORBA was still a thing.
Oh for sure it has it's place, just look at the XCO world cup field. I know I'm being a stubborn old curmudgeon about it and need to get with the program. Droppers are even being used very effectively in gravel and now on the road. Sice the UCI banned the super tuck people are using a dropper to get that aero back.

Sweet! For a hard tail! This thread has been quiet. I'm still beating on my same bike. Looking forward to a Bentonville trip early summer.
My daughter lives in Bella Vista about 400 yds from the trails. She’s thinking about doing a Airbnb out of her lower floor. That area has exploded with bikes 👍 My ride a
Niner Jet Carbon ...with my S&W Airlite .22 behind my mace. Changed pedals ...ouch😖

Attachments

• 809A24D5-8BD8-491D-BD0F-41A6384597AB.jpeg
    809A24D5-8BD8-491D-BD0F-41A6384597AB.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 826EFD47-E1A2-4FAF-AF39-1D1398DEC7C0.jpeg
    826EFD47-E1A2-4FAF-AF39-1D1398DEC7C0.jpeg
    754.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Just ordered two sets of built carbon wheels for $2000 total. One set is XC wheels and the other set is Enduro (AM). They ship from Belfast, UK. The warranty for manufacturers defects is two years and crash replacement for life.

Reactions: missed
Any of you guys use magnetic pedals?

I’m riding flats and don’t want to move to full clipless but just ran across magnetic pedals which may be a nice compromise between the two?

I’m riding flats and don’t want to move to full clipless but just ran across magnetic pedals which may be a nice compromise between the two?
I did some testing with the Hustle bike labs pedals a couple years ago when George Scott still lived here. They are definitely not a replacement for clip less. I wouldn't replace my Crank Bros Mallet E with them.

When I ride on flats I want the freedom in my feet typically questionable sketchy shit is about to happen. I couldn't see how I could effectively bail if I find myself flying into the face of a landing on a big gap jump. Where flats and clip less I know I can get out, the magnets have this weird feel even when you twist out of them.
I still have challenges with getting my 10y/o to feel where his feet are on the pedals and stay where there supposed to be. I had thought about getting a pair for him and cut the plates down so they have less pull force. Spending $300-400 in pedals and shoes didn't make sense.

Yeah, I like being able to bail. I’ve just had a few time’s on fast, chunky downhill where I lose a little contact on my feet. I don’t want a ton of force but thought a little might be ideal.

I also hate it when I don’t get my foot just right as I head down a trail. My flats have a lot of grip so I have to completely lift and reset. Was thinking the magnets would help get the same placement quickly each time.

Yeah, I like being able to bail. I’ve just had a few time’s on fast, chunky downhill where I lose a little contact on my feet. I don’t want a ton of force but thought a little might be ideal.

I also hate it when I don’t get my foot just right as I head down a trail. My flats have a lot of grip so I have to completely lift and reset. Was thinking the magnets would help get the same placement quickly each time.
At least the hustle pedals your feet do kinda get drawn into the correct position. My flats are Raceface Atlas, that and a pair of Five-Ten Freeriders I have to lift to get reset. I have been thinking about trying the Ride Concepts or Etnies for the next pair. Especially since Adidas has gone all woke.

Part of the reason I did not get any for my boy is I want him to be mindful and feel where his feet are on the pedals. Developing that feel will make you determine how much to drive your feet into the pedals when you are in sketchy technical terrain. For the most part its heavy feet light hands

I would not cross them off the list, so many things are personally tailored. They were not enough for me to change what works pretty well for me.

I ride SPD pedals and I clip and reclip when I need to dab or something and never miss a pedal stroke. I have ridden flats with good shoes a bit but found that I was no quicker on and off the pedals than with my clipless 99% of the time and those few times I bobble it is only a split second. I can’t remember a time when I had a crash or even a near miss b/c of clipless.

I am just saying it is all what you get used to…

I’ve been on spd‘s for 30 years and have never had any problems with them. I did try Crank Brothers egg beaters for a couple years but their durability sent me back to Shimano. I see a lot of people on flats but I just can’t do it. I tried the dropper thing for a bit and installed a Bike Yoke Revive. It functioned great but I guess I’m just so old school and really didn’t use it so off it came. That was an expensive experiment.

I finally ran down a Guerilla Gravity size 4 frame, should be shipping in the next couple days. Comes with a Push 11-6 shock, so I will use that shock on the long travel 29er and and more than likely the long travel 27.5 setups. I'll keep my Mara Pro around for the trail travel 29er.

@idshooter no dropper? damn only bike with no dropper is the DH bike, and your not sitting down on it!

I keep kicking around the idea of getting a Motion Instruments suspension tuning system.....

I finally ran down a Guerilla Gravity size 4 frame, should be shipping in the next couple days. Comes with a Push 11-6 shock, so I will use that shock on the long travel 29er and and more than likely the long travel 27.5 setups. I'll keep my Mara Pro around for the trail travel 29er.

@idshooter no dropper? damn only bike with no dropper is the DH bike, and your not sitting down on it!

I keep kicking around the idea of getting a Motion Instruments suspension tuning system.....
I have a Thomson Dropper on my Niner and it makes going downhill a game changer.
Didn’t have a clue what I had been missing. 👍

I know that people love their droppers and I gave it a fair shake I just wasn’t using it when I had it installed. And it’s not like I don’t ride technical trails.

I know that people love their droppers and I gave it a fair shake I just wasn’t using it when I had it installed. And it’s not like I don’t ride technical trails.
I just started to use a dropper and right now I have to think about it. That said I try to use it as much as possible to get used to it. I can see how it's not for everyone.

I just started to use a dropper and right now I have to think about it. That said I try to use it as much as possible to get used to it. I can see how it's not for everyone.
It took me a minute to adjust too. Since I’ve switched to Race Face Chester pedals and 510 shoes , being able to shift weight has made riding better for me.
I have shredded my legs , but not flown over the bars nor face planted like I have when I couldn’t unclip fast enough. 🙈

I couldn’t imagine riding in my back yard without a dropper. I’m to the point of over using it to a degree. I just get my seat the hell out of the way so it doesn’t punch me in the gut, crotch or wherever on the challenging obstacles/features.
All in what you get used to....I’ve seen some people do some incredible things on terrain I would never ride...I’m old tho.

I got into mtn biking in 2021 for the exercise plus the new found enjoyment of trail riding. I haven’t gotten too extreme with it, just exploring and having fun. No downhill comps or anything, but I started taking it with me to trips to AZ and UT. The bike is a 29’er hardtail w/ front shocks, 1x12 gearing, and a dropper post.

That said, this week I found an awesome trail ride along the rim of Wedge Canyon (aka Little Grand Canyon) in the San Rafael Swell in central Utah. Most of the time the trail is within 20’ of the rim. It has a kick-ass view for the 16 miles end to end (which I did in two phases).

Attachments

• 18D242CF-B176-441F-BFD4-4E07593AF461.jpeg
    18D242CF-B176-441F-BFD4-4E07593AF461.jpeg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 3B502711-1012-4120-AABB-9B77D759943F.png
    3B502711-1012-4120-AABB-9B77D759943F.png
    980.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1EC68C32-414A-4AC5-921B-C5C853B9F13D.png
    1EC68C32-414A-4AC5-921B-C5C853B9F13D.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
I got into mtn biking in 2021 for the exercise plus the new found enjoyment of trail riding. I haven’t gotten too extreme with it, just exploring and having fun. No downhill comps or anything, but I started taking it with me to trips to AZ and UT. The bike is a 29’er hardtail w/ front shocks, 1x12 gearing, and a dropper post.

That said, this week I found an awesome trail ride along the rim of Wedge Canyon (aka Little Grand Canyon) in the San Rafael Swell in central Utah. Most of the time the trail is within 20’ of the rim. It has a kick-ass view for the 16 miles end to end (which I did in two phases).
That’s awesome!

Electronic shifters are awesome! I wasn’t sure how I was going to like them. I love them now. Set up is easier than cables and it shifts great. I am running the SRAM XO1 AXS Eagle and would highly recommend it.
I have been fighting the urge to upgrade my XO1 to AXS, and keep slipping....

I did pick up a set of One up carbon bars and grips, a industry nine stem to upgrade parts when the new frame shows up. I'll be selling my size 3 frame pretty soon.

I've been running electronic shifting for years. It's great, you can jump from one end of the cassette to the other without dropping a chain. It's a true game changer IMHO. I have Ultegra Di2 on the gravel bike and SRAM etap wifli on the road bike. I prefer SRAM design plus removable battery.

It’s the right fit for their sales goals!

I will say though that I bought slightly too large of bikes for my kids because they grow so quickly. They were perfect size not long after

It’s the right fit for their sales goals!

I will say though that I bought slightly too large of bikes for my kids because they grow so quickly. They were perfect size not long after
Dealer responded back to me. Said it fit her perfectly. I can’t see how in the world she could reach the handlebar from that seat. I know kids grow into things, but for me, I want the bike to fit Right now. But then I build bikes so I can get what ever I want. (Without the worry of the cash needed to purchase a bike shop bike)

Well I need to post a pick of my son's bike up. Weighed in at 24lbs which is 10lbs lighter than his Marlin 5. Went out on a short 4 mile ride yesterday on gravel roads and he smoked me going up the hills. I haven't been on a bike in a month with traveling for work and he's been out riding. So, the goal is to go out with him everyday. Should be fun today as the plan is 8 miles of gravel roads near the house.

Reactions: missed
I finally got me a size 4 frame. I regret putting it off so long. It's so much better! I did get a pretty good deal with a Push 11-6 on it. Just need to get my old size 3 sold now.

Well I need to post a pick of my son's bike up. Weighed in at 24lbs which is 10lbs lighter than his Marlin 5. Went out on a short 4 mile ride yesterday on gravel roads and he smoked me going up the hills. I haven't been on a bike in a month with traveling for work and he's been out riding. So, the goal is to go out with him everyday. Should be fun today as the plan is 8 miles of gravel roads near the house.
It's a no shitter how much a month can set you back. 6 week refuel outage on nights 80 hrs a week. I could squeak in some 30 minute cruiser rides on the trainer and a few workout sessions here and there was all I could do. This week getting rolling again in the dirt has been brutal.

I lost some time (and fitness) earlier this spring due to a medical issue. Pick up salmonella somewhere, dehydrated rapidly, and ended up in the hospital for a few days with kidney failure. Fun times! So much for all the off-season work on the trainer and in the weight room.

Fortunately, I've been able to claw back some of those losses over the past several weeks. I survived a 4-hour adventure race last Saturday. Two days later, I did my first barbell lifts in over two months during my morning workout, and then went out on the bike that evening and set some PRs:

Screenshot_20220524-080737.png

Nothing to brag about relative to the local fast guys, but at least I ain't dead yet.

Now, to find a renal doc who can tell me how to keep my kidneys somewhat happy without giving up endurance training altogether. I get the sense that I don't fit the profile of a normal patient with chronic kidney failure.

I am totally bummed at yesterday. Got home late from work only to have a thunder storm roll through and kill our chance of going out. Also, hate that now the trails will all be shut down here in NTX because it is muddy. One good thing about growing up in PA it didn't matter if it rained we would still go out, but here in NTX the mud just sticks to everything and screws up the trails if you ride them.

Same issue here. It’s been raining for days and will be for a couple more. It will take a week for the trails to dry out. I’ve got some carbon bars showing up today that I was really looking forward to trying out.

I am totally bummed at yesterday. Got home late from work only to have a thunder storm roll through and kill our chance of going out. Also, hate that now the trails will all be shut down here in NTX because it is muddy. One good thing about growing up in PA it didn't matter if it rained we would still go out, but here in NTX the mud just sticks to everything and screws up the trails if you ride them.

Yeah the brown clay dirt does kinda suck especially years that the rain has not quit. I got a ride in at Solovaca yesterday afternoon, we only got an inch of rain I bet Dinosaur Valley, and Solovaca will be back open by Friday maybe even tomorrow. Last year when it would not quit raining I kept running down and riding at Cameron Park as the dirt down there is different and can be ridden in the wet. Western Heritage park in Mineral Wells has a different soil and does well in the rain. Usually stays open longer and opens quicker than the brown dirt areas. Same with Possum Kingdom. I have not ridden the new trails at the resort up by Graford yet. I have been told to bring your climbing legs with you......

Same issue here. It’s been raining for days and will be for a couple more. It will take a week for the trails to dry out. I’ve got some carbon bars showing up today that I was really looking forward to trying out.
I just got a set of the One up carbon bars and they are pretty awesome so far they take a bit of the sharp hit out that can be experienced with 35mm bars. We have so much square edge rock here its hard to tune it out, the bars have made it nicer.

That’s what I just bought along with some dreadlock grips.

I’ve been having a lot of hand pain and hoping that will help soften it up a bit. I think I put too much weight on my hands so working on that too.

I've been running the Renthal carbon bars on most of my rigs and am quite happy with them. Admittedly, I think that grip selection is probably a couple orders of magnitude more important, but that's not nearly as sexy as a $135 handlebar.

"Heavy feet, light hands" is largely a matter of core strength and engagement. Easier said than done on the back half of a long and difficult ride.

"Heavy feet, light hands" is largely a matter of core strength and engagement. Easier said than done on the back half of a long and difficult ride.

I’ve been working on loading my feet more. I don’t think it’s a matter of core strength as much as just getting better form. It happens even in the beginning of my rides.

When I’m in my attack position on downhill rock gardens especially I can feel pressure on my palms and I’m trying not to get behind the seat but instead stay over my bottom bracket. When running fast I grip the bars really tight and I can feel it on the outside of my palms as soon as I let up on my grip.

A friend had me ride one of his e-bikes… dangit, now I need one!

We did an 18 mile single track ride with a fair amount of climbing, and while some of the pitches still kicked my ass it would have been way worse had we not been on e-bikes. The bikes were plenty capable for the downhill stretches, felt very planted and despite the 40-ish lb weight I was able to flick the bike around as needed.

I’m seeing more and more people convert to e-bikes, I don’t think it’s bc they are lazy but because it extends the range and lets you ride harder and take on some trails you might avoid if on a conventional MTB.

The bugger of this is that 6mm bolt gun build may have to be put off for a bit….

That’s what I just bought along with some dreadlock grips.

I’ve been having a lot of hand pain and hoping that will help soften it up a bit. I think I put too much weight on my hands so working on that too.
I went with the Oneup grips this time since they were part of the package deal basically got them for free. I have run Oury Grips since the 90's the last set I could never get the clamps tight enough and they would wiggle just a little. So far the Oneup grips have been pretty good. We will see how I like them in the wet or pouring sweat. I always ride with gloves

I do have some of the newer Tubolight EVO HD inserts on the way to try out. They are supposed to be significantly better than the older version of the inserts.

Just getting back into it.. questioning how much I spent on this hard tail and if I should have just went full squish..😄

Reactions: crackerbrown
I rode my hardtail more than my full-squish bike last season. They're a ton of fun and very fast if ridden competently.