• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

If you want to spend some money and get rid of shock, look at these:

iu

1653659711765.png

GIRVIN......
1653659935327.png

And a suspension seat post, pre dropper.
You could just float on your bike, like riding a marshmallow.

Last edited:
Hard tails are still relative and fun.
Oh it will deffinitely be fun. Everyone around here rides full squish so when they see a slack hardtail it turns heads.. then they see my lack of ability. 🤣

Anyone have sunglasses reccomendations? I really like the Oakley Prizm trail lens but heavily dislike the frame styles that comes along with it. Trying to find another sunglass brand with a similar lens and more casual frame.

Attachments

• 20220312_150353.jpg
    20220312_150353.jpg
    790.7 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Shooter McGavin
ll deffinitely be fun. Everyone around here rides full squish so when they see a slack hardtail it turns heads.. then they see my lack of ability. 🤣

Anyone have sunglasses reccomendations? I really like the Oakley Prizm trail lens but heavily dislike the frame styles that comes along with it. Trying to find another sunglass brand with a similar lens and more casual frame.
Those Oakley Prizm trail lenses are awesome. I have them in one of the cycling specific frames as you can run them off your face a bit so they don't fill up with sweat. They are not the casual glasses by any means

Reactions: flyfisher117
Oh it will deffinitely be fun. Everyone around here rides full squish so when they see a slack hardtail it turns heads.. then they see my lack of ability. 🤣

I have a narrow face and extensively wear Quarter Jackets with Prizm lens. I love them so much I have 3 pair with different shades of lenses in each. They stay put on my face and work great stored on my POC helmet when not in use. *Except when my dumb ass forgets they are there and I bomb through low hanging branches...

I run the Oakley flak jacket xl. They stay put and are light enough they never bother me.

I also have a few pair of their shooting glasses. The prism trail also work great for making clay birds pop.

Here I was thinking I need to get a new air fork. The tech in here has me thinking I need about $4k for a new bike instead.

I have a large melon so a lot of the biking specific glasses either look like tiny swim goggles or they make me look like a bigger doofus than I really am.. lol

Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and get them.. I see that I can buy the Prizm Trail lens for the Holbrook XL, my favorite casual sun glasses but I can not just outright buy that model with that lens.

I have a large melon so a lot of the biking specific glasses either look like tiny swim goggles or they make me look like a bigger doofus than I really am.. lol

Perhaps I just need to bite the bullet and get them.. I see that I can buy the Prizm Trail lens for the Holbrook XL, my favorite casual sun glasses but I can not just outright buy that model with that lens.

I usually buy mine in the airport store after I forget them at home. Most of the time they'll exchange lenses or swap stuff around if they have it in stock.

Got my Oakley Flak XL with the trail lens. Love the lens but damn I feel like a boner in that style.. 😅

We got a new trail put in courtesy of the Waltons. Not that great but better then nothing.

Can’t wait to hit Jackson once the snow goes away.

Nice! This thread has been pretty quiet, between just the cluster fuck of life this year and the heat, riding has been a challenge this year.

No new gear for me, just some riding. I've been riding my Pivot Les 29 hardtail almost exclusively this season (the fat bike gets used for casual social and family rides since it wears flat pedals), but I'll break out the Mach 6 for my trip to the UP later this month. I've really been enjoying the hardtail experience, and am getting used to the concept of letting the rear tire do its own thing while I focus on getting the front to dig in and track.

I did a FUN Promotion relay race last month for the first time since 2005, and had a riot. The team consisted of a guy that I've been riding and racing with since our college days, and a couple of his buddies. This was a bit different format in that it was 8 hours instead of 12 and went 4PM-midnight. I did two-lap stints while my three teammates did singles, which let them avoid digging a hole and resulted in remarkably consistent times for everyone throughout the afternoon and evening. When nighttime hit, I did run about 2% slower, but I think that was as much about my tired legs as it was the conditions. We placed 2nd in 4-person Open which was great, but we weren't really in the running for 1st at any point. Unfortunately, the local promoter (Brent Walk) that's run these events for 25 years is retiring after this year, and no one is stepping up to fill his spot. Definitely the end of an era, and it's hard to believe that I first did one of Brent's races more than a half-lifetime ago.

I unfortunately haven't been riding much this year. It's my first year in like 10-12 that I'm not racing bikes. So I'm enjoying not feeling like a slug for missing a training day. I have been trail running (doing a few trail races and working up to a short ultra) and weighted backpack training. Plus a bit of hiking.
IMG_20220724_125302397.jpg
IMG_20220730_162004059.jpg
97829.jpeg

Irs a good thing I check 'new posts' cause I call myself 'a cyclist that shoots' rather than 'a shooter that rides.'

I haven't been mtn biking much 'cause I'm allergic to driving to go riding. I have been on the local gravel and paved roads a fair bit. I'm allergic to driving to go shooting too, but there's things ya gotta do.

The shock stems and suspension seatposts bring back memories of the debate in the 80s between 'suspend the rider vs suspend the bike.' We see where that argument ended up.

M

Irs a good thing I check 'new posts' cause I call myself 'a cyclist that shoots' rather than 'a shooter that rides.'

I haven't been mtn biking much 'cause I'm allergic to driving to go riding. I have been on the local gravel and paved roads a fair bit. I'm allergic to driving to go shooting too, but there's things ya gotta do.

The shock stems and suspension seatposts bring back memories of the debate in the 80s between 'suspend the rider vs suspend the bike.' We see where that argument ended up.

M
Mike,
Just ride the mountain bike to the trails and back home, more miles = more better...

M
I have been doing 4 days gravel and 3 days on trails. I have to do it in the morning before work because it's too damn hot after work, 100+ most days. I have been doing gravel since it's right out my front door and I have to drive to the trails. The trails are way more fun. I have been exclusively using my hard tail for everything right now.

Mike,
Just ride the mountain bike to the trails and back home, more miles = more better...
Closest mtn biking is 45min away by car down some 'used to be quiet 20 years ago' roads

So its road, road, or gravel from the back door

That's why I bought myself a KTM 640 Adventure back when: ride to the ride, ride the ride, then ride home.

M

Reactions: jbell
So, do they not make bikes with handlebars that you don’t have to lean over on? I never got into mountain biking but would like to. However, nothing really seems to fit me right imo. I used to race BMX for many years so I am used to a very upright handlebar set up. Does that make sense? Or are all mountain bike handlebars like this because the forks are taller? I’m trying to figure out why they are different as I much prefer upright bars. I also tend to ride more standing than sitting.

Modern mountain bikes have a much more upright riding position than 20 years ago. But there's a limit to how upright one can go, since you still need to apply weight through the bars to the front wheel.

If you haven't ridden a modern bike, stop by your local shop. Shit works really well nowadays.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
So, do they not make bikes with handlebars that you don’t have to lean over on? I never got into mountain biking but would like to. However, nothing really seems to fit me right imo. I used to race BMX for many years so I am used to a very upright handlebar set up. Does that make sense? Or are all mountain bike handlebars like this because the forks are taller? I’m trying to figure out why they are different as I much prefer upright bars. I also tend to ride more standing than sitting.

I like a high "stack" which is what we call it, but within reason . You don't want it to be as high as a BMX bike with all your weight on your butt because you won't be able to keep the front end down when climbing. And when you're going downhill, your butt isn't going to be on the saddle anyway.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I like a high "stack" which is what we call it, but within reason . You don't want it to be as high as a BMX bike with all your weight on your butt because you won't be able to keep the front end down when climbing. And when you're going downhill, your butt isn't going to be on the saddle anyway.
Yes sir, I like it that way because I tend to lean over and use the push pull method when climbing. Push with legs while bent over and pull with arms keeping most of the weight as forward as possible when climbing. This is likely why I developed a severe back shoulder muscle and core imbalance. All those years of riding doing the push pull left the core undeveloped. I got back issues too but that’s another story. Maybe I just go try one. I’ve set on some but never actually rode anything new.

Yes sir, I like it that way because I tend to lean over and use the push pull method when climbing. Push with legs while bent over and pull with arms keeping most of the weight as forward as possible when climbing. This is likely why I developed a severe back shoulder muscle and core imbalance. All those years of riding doing the push pull left the core undeveloped. I got back issues too but that’s another story. Maybe I just go try one. I’ve set on some but never actually rode anything new.

Unfortunately, it's really difficult (if not impossible) to improve core strength on the bike, which is why most pros are putting in a ton of work off the bike to address this problem. It can be bodyweight stuff like yoga, it can be serious weightroom work, or anything in between.

Definitely just go try a modern bike. They've come a long ways since I started racing in the mid-90s. Just the handlebars alone have completely changed the fit (they're about 8" wider now than in the 90s), and that's by far from the only change.

Reactions: Downzero
Unfortunately, it's really difficult (if not impossible) to improve core strength on the bike, which is why most pros are putting in a ton of work off the bike to address this problem. It can be bodyweight stuff like yoga, it can be serious weightroom work, or anything in between.

Definitely just go try a modern bike. They've come a long ways since I started racing in the mid-90s. Just the handlebars alone have completely changed the fit (they're about 8" wider now than in the 90s), and that's by far from the only change.
That is extremely true. I have been trying to focus more on the off the bike training this year. Even that has been a challenge with the gym at the house......

I was just giving you a hard time
If you were ever on MCB Quantico, there's always the roads around the ranges and down to Camp Upshur... on the weekend when there aren't MPs around...

Decent gravel in there too. ...but... that's 30min on 'used to be quiet 20 years ago' roads too. Aquia Harbor and Stafford are all kinds of built up these days. Where I live is a cut thru now. Grrr

Back in the 80s at VA Tech, I could ride to either mtn, ride the ride, then ride back. Stopped at the high pressure car wash on the way back to the apartment, then promptly tore the bike apart and regreased the bearings in the hubs and BB. Can't do that any more either. Which is both good and bad

Just got off my Paramount after a 2hr road ride. Home to Vint Hill Farm Station (former Army base) and back. Go the right direction at the right time of day and it's like it was 20 years ago.

That bike's set up like I would have had it in 1994. Sachs New Success with Ergos.

M

That is extremely true. I have been trying to focus more on the off the bike training this year. Even that has been a challenge with the gym at the house......

You'd think that I could spend 10-15 min/day doing some basic bodyweight & movement work, but nope :( But I have been largely successful at hitting 2-3 weight sessions/week in the gym, which helps minimize upper-body atrophy during the summer months. It's a big improvement from a few years ago where I'd basically never step foot in the weight room between April and November, and my body was wrecked by Labor Day.

Russian twist, Turkish get ups, mountain climbers, burpees, dead lifts, squats, clean and press, situps, box jumps, the big ass rope work.....some of the yoga type stuff like that I can't think of what the moves are called like a bridge then you bring a foot up, and alternate along with bringing a hand up.

I'll look at what else is on my workout list

What core strengthening exercises are you all doing?

Squats, deadlifts, bent rows, pull-ups, Turkish get-ups, crunches with some sort of resistance (muscle balls, kettlebells, cable, or weighted vest), cable twists, Russian twists, front and side planks, kettlebell swings, and leg lifts are all part of my gym diet. There are literally hundreds of other things that can be done as well.

For cycling, focusing on the hip hinge (in both directions) seems highly beneficial.

EDIT: looks like @missed beat me to it. I swear that I didn't copy off his homework.

Reactions: missed
Squats, deadlifts, bent rows, pull-ups, Turkish get-ups, crunches with some sort of resistance (muscle balls, kettlebells, cable, or weighted vest), cable twists, Russian twists, front and side planks, kettlebell swings, and leg lifts are all part of my gym diet. There are literally hundreds of other things that can be done as well.

For cycling, focusing on the hip hinge (in both directions) seems highly beneficial.

EDIT: looks like @missed beat me to it. I swear that I didn't copy off his homework.
Haha we must be doing something right if we're on the same training plan! I got my routine from a trainer that deals with mostly mountain bike racers (mostly downhill and Enduro) and off-road motorcycle.

Using the resistance bands standing pushing away from yourself and pulling to you is one of the others.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Using the resistance bands standing pushing away from yourself and pulling to you is one of the others.

Yep - push/pull through various angles is good stuff (especially if it's less rigid than the traditional barbell movements). You can add some step-ups to those movements to create some full-body wreckage, or at least take a split stance (like doing a lunge) to create some bike-like instability.

Well my son wrecked and broke his rear brake lever. It sheered right off. Couldn't find one at a few LBS, so I took one off my Pivot and put that on his bike since I have been using the hard tail exclusively. Well come to find out I can't find a replacement, so I upgraded to the Shimano XT 8120 4 piston brakes and while I was at it I ordered a replacement set of cranks. I got the RaceFace Next R to replace the RaceFace Aeffect R.

Reactions: Sandhog308
Damn, were you getting sendy with it?
It happened when I went down hill and hit like a 2’ drop. Nothing big and I have done that drop a bunch of times. I could hear something was wrong but it sounded like it was coming from the bottom bracket area. Then I was going through a section were I was pumping the bike and heard a huge bang. Looked down and didn’t see it. Road it back to the suv and saw it. Looking for a new frame now.

Back in the early 90s, Carbon frame guinea pig test rider. NO THANKS ! Carbon frames had a short life span back then. Not sure what has changed but still an aluminum fan.

Aluminum is an absolute shit material to make bikes from. It literally turns your frame into a wearable component.

Carbon only has a limited life span if it wasn't built correctly (e.g., the early days of gluing the bikes together) or if it's crashed and compromised. Otherwise it should last forever.

All aluminum frames will crack eventually.

Aluminum is an absolute shit material to make bikes from. It literally turns your frame into a wearable component.

Carbon only has a limited life span if it wasn't built correctly (e.g., the early days of gluing the bikes together) or if it's crashed and compromised. Otherwise it should last forever.

All aluminum frames will crack eventually.
His mind's made up. You won't change it no matter how hard you try

Let him bask in his ignorance

M

Both have advantages and disadvantages. I've broken both. I'm on a carbon frame for 90% of stuff. Looking for a downhill bike for next summer and will probably go aluminum there only based on cost.

The reason I went Aluminum was based on cost. I have paid for and still waiting on a Pivot Mach 4SL for the wife and a YT Izzo Core 4 for my son, both CF. So, a lot of money already went out and I couldn't afford to get a Ti frame like I really wanted to do.

Carbon fiber frames are wear items and should be replaced after 10 years of riding.
Aluminum frames last a long time doing XC and thats what I do. The biggest disadvantage for an Aluminum Hard tail is that they are stiff.
Steal frames are nice and compliant. However, they tend to be heavy.
Titanium frames are strong and light, but expensive.

The reason I went Aluminum was based on cost. I have paid for and still waiting on a Pivot Mach 4SL for the wife and a YT Izzo Core 4 for my son, both CF. So, a lot of money already went out and I couldn't afford to get a Ti frame like I really wanted to do.

Carbon fiber frames are wear items and should be replaced after 10 years of riding.
Aluminum frames last a long time doing XC and thats what I do. The biggest disadvantage for an Aluminum Hard tail is that they are stiff.
Steal frames are nice and compliant. However, they tend to be heavy.
Titanium frames are strong and light, but expensive.

Most of this is myth as well. When it comes to metal frames, studies show no measurable difference in frame flex between the three materials you mentioned. Steel has a reputation for being more compliant, but it turns out it's all just cycling myth and not at all based in any actual real information. The good news is taking a few PSI out of your tires makes more of a difference than any amount of hypothetical frame flex you were hoping for. Aluminum also is not "stiff," it's actually weaker than ti or steel, it's just also quite light, so manufacturers can make it "strong enough" by using more of it. I like steel bikes and I have a garage full of them. My household also has numerous carbon fiber bikes and one ti one.

I have this hypothesis that it's the government's safety testing standards that made aluminum a thing. The frame is such a small percentage of the cost of a bicycle, that if they were mass produced, all of us who are considering aluminum bikes could be riding high-end steel frames instead, which aren't any heavier than aluminum frames made with similar dimensions. There has to be some other regulation or something in place that prevents the thin/lightweight high end steel frames from being mass produced yet every small frame builder can make you one, they're just expensive because they're usually a one off deal. I think it has to be some sort of crash test where a thin steel bike would buckle and a thick tube aluminum one passes the test or something. I find it hard to believe that it's potentially a tiny price premium or a few grams that'd put people on pot metal bikes when they could have a steel bike of similar design. There has to be something else at play.