• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

Nice, I bet it will ride really well. I think you would probably like the MRP Ribbon Coil also from my limited experience with it. I'm generally not super picky about plushness and small bumps, I just want good controlled damping with no spikes, and really stiff legs for great steering. I run a fox 34 on my Spider and it's actually pretty good in that application. At 130mm and on a 27.5" wheel it's pretty short so stiffness feels better than say a 160mm 36 in 29 to me. I'd definitely do 36 or bigger on a big wheel or long travel bike. Ohlins also has some interesting looking forks that I hear are super stiff. I haven't ridden them yet. Folks I know with them have mixed thoughts on the damping.

New Ripmo AF shake down and tune ride. I feel like this bike just wants to go fast when pointed downhill!
20200412_092201.jpg

Spring has finally arrived in Michigan, so I went riding with the family on Saturday. Decided to blast a particular segment in pursuit of a Strava PR, so I pedaled my ass off for about 14 minutes with an excellent holy-shit moment on an off-camber turn, arrived at the intersection with the next trail (past where I thought the segment ended), and waited another 6-8 minutes for my oldest son. Of course, the mouthbreather who set up this segment put the end point *past* this intersection, and so I did not set a PR. There needs to be a way to report people who can't set up segments properly. It was still a legendary run, at least in my head.

Sunday, I avenged this miscarriage of justice by setting a PR on the same trail in the opposite direction.

My 5-year-old tore up the trail Saturday. He was riding strongly and with excellent technique. Yesterday, he got over-confident and attempted to pass a group of riders on the outside of a downhill turn, with predictable results :LOL: We had to explain to him that sometimes even fast riders need to go slow, but he was not satisfied with this.

Reactions: bunk216 and missed
That's awesome about your son!

I find that some people put specific start / stop locations on Strava segments in less than optimal locations so they can set and keep KOM's. Luckily I do my very best to not chase KOM's while riding because it can easily mess up my training, so it minimizes my frustration with this problem. Now that you know get back out there until you own that segment. I have to say it is a good feeling especially when you take it from a friend!

Reactions: E. Bryant
That's awesome about your son!

I find that some people put specific start / stop locations on Strava segments in less than optimal locations so they can set and keep KOM's. Luckily I do my very best to not chase KOM's while riding because it can easily mess up my training, so it minimizes my frustration with this problem. Now that you know get back out there until you own that segment. I have to say it is a good feeling especially when you take it from a friend!
Or the ones that ride out to the segment, catch a break then take a fresh running start at the segment.

Spring has finally arrived in Michigan, so I went riding with the family on Saturday. Decided to blast a particular segment in pursuit of a Strava PR, so I pedaled my ass off for about 14 minutes with an excellent holy-shit moment on an off-camber turn, arrived at the intersection with the next trail (past where I thought the segment ended), and waited another 6-8 minutes for my oldest son. Of course, the mouthbreather who set up this segment put the end point *past* this intersection, and so I did not set a PR. There needs to be a way to report people who can't set up segments properly. It was still a legendary run, at least in my head.

Sunday, I avenged this miscarriage of justice by setting a PR on the same trail in the opposite direction.

My 5-year-old tore up the trail Saturday. He was riding strongly and with excellent technique. Yesterday, he got over-confident and attempted to pass a group of riders on the outside of a downhill turn, with predictable results :LOL: We had to explain to him that sometimes even fast riders need to go slow, but he was not satisfied with this.
That's great to hear him tearing it up!

I can't wait till more of our trails open back up. Only the rock garden is open right now, it's tough to get either one of my kids out there for that punishment.

It's my fault, really - I shouldn't care about some meaningless PR on a meaningless Strava segment, and should simply be happy that I'm able to enjoy the great outdoors on a bicycle with my family and friends.

Nope, it's really the fault of the dumb bastard that created the segment :cautious: I hope that he misses a KOM due to a dropped chain.

I've got a spare Garmin that I need to pass down to the 9-year-old this season. He's been putting in some serious riding (about 12-14 miles of trail riding each day this weekend) and would probably enjoy tracking his progress. It's also never too young to experience the disappointment of learning just how much faster the "fast" local guys are.

The local trail conditions are weird. We're normally just starting to dry out this time of the year, but there was so little snowfall this year that sandy washouts are already starting to pop up in places (no doubt helped by heavier-than-normal traffic). If it's a dry summer, some spots are going to be a real bitch until fall.

Reactions: missed
It's still fun to chase some PR's especially when your feeling good! There are some jacked up segments, it's like what the hell were they thinking.

Agreed...
I just do my best to keep it pinned the whole ride ignoring any Strava segments and then see how it all comes out after. It's kinda fun having those little pats on the back knowing that most of the KOM's are set by people specifically targeting them.

I do love Strava for comparing my efforts over the course of a season or even multiple seasons.

Strava is generally awesome. I do wish it had been around back in the 90s when I first got into cycling, because I'd love to do a then vs. now comparison. I don't know that I'm faster now, but I think that 44-year-old me would at least earn the respect of 19-year-old me.

As bad as Strava segments can be on real trails, Zwift is far worse because now we're talking about a few hundred thousand a-holes from around the world. I did five laps of a 3.7-mile loop and hit *150* segments :cautious:

Reactions: jbell
I just looked at a segment that I take the kids to a bunch I'm at 72/657 only 35 seconds off the leader. Hmmm, haha shows you can go fast on an Enduro bike on a trail that only has 20ft of elevation change.

The Manitou Mezzer is awesome. I need to drop the travel to 170mm and or put the short lower cup in. It's raked out like a chopper right now. But actually corners really well like this, I was surprised. Now climbing is not as good as it needs. So I'll either drop the travel and or put the short cup in. The handling and performance of the fork rivals my last Fox 36 with custom valving. But with the Dorado air spring, support through the whole travel range is significantly better. . I have some Ruby red metallic reflective decals coming to replace the orange also!

Anybody need a rock shock lyric select or some Santa Cruz carbon reserve wheels?
12832.jpeg

Reactions: BikePilot
I just looked at a segment that I take the kids to a bunch I'm at 72/657 only 35 seconds off the leader. Hmmm, haha shows you can go fast on an Enduro bike on a trail that only has 20ft of elevation change.

The Manitou Mezzer is awesome. I need to drop the travel to 170mm and or put the short lower cup in. It's raked out like a chopper right now. But actually corners really well like this, I was surprised. Now climbing is not as good as it needs. So I'll either drop the travel and or put the short cup in. The handling and performance of the fork rivals my last Fox 36 with custom valving. But with the Dorado air spring, support through the whole travel range is significantly better. . I have some Ruby red metallic reflective decals coming to replace the orange also!

Anybody need a rock shock lyric select or some Santa Cruz carbon reserve wheels? View attachment 7304652

Damn that bikes wheel base is longer than a hard winter! Ha!

I do like those 1 up EDC pump and kit. It's the best pump combo I have ever used.

I was really surprised with how it cornered raked out like that. I think this might be my bike park setup. Climbing this way, well..... Hopefully tools or lower cup will eventually get here. Flipping to night shift is still beating my ass so I haven't ridden anyway.
Yes that 1up kit has been great, I got a small bag to put there with it for a tube and some other odds and ends. Luckily since the Tubolight inserts it hasn't gotten used much. We do have lots of sharp rock here that's hell on tires.

I really like the weight and size of the Tubolito tubes, I have the regular one and the one with the stem removed. I also picked up the new Wolf Thoth EnCase tools this winter. I think it’s my favorite multi tool system made, super light weight and easy to carry (I put it in a saddle bag, not the bar) plus it has great leverage. I am a bit of a tool whore...

The Tubolight inserts have been a great lighter alternative to the Cushcore, and a third of the price. There in every wheelset, including my daugters bike. I just wish they had 26" inserts also. Only downside is no US dealers, have to order them direct from them or R2 and $30-40 for shipping, or get cheaper shipping from bikeinn and take forever to get here.

Heading to a shop to purchase a bike this morning. Wanting some fresh air and exercise and need some "me" time outside of my home to clear my head. Not sure how much mountain biking I will do, planning on starting off on the rural roads around my house. I spent so much time on a bike in my youth, now I haven't been on one in 12 years!

The Tubolight inserts have been a great lighter alternative to the Cushcore, and a third of the price. There in every wheelset, including my daugters bike. I just wish they had 26" inserts also. Only downside is no US dealers, have to order them direct from them or R2 and $30-40 for shipping, or get cheaper shipping from bikeinn and take forever to get here.

Oh I miss read your post, I was thinking about those super light and crazy expensive Tubolito tubes, not tire inserts. I keep waiting for an insert light enough for me to justify using in at least my rear tire. But I spend so much money to save grams I don't want to lose ground to an insert...

Oh I miss read your post, I was thinking about those super light and crazy expensive Tubolito tubes, not tire inserts. I keep waiting for an insert light enough for me to justify using in at least my rear tire. But I spend so much money to save grams I don't want to lose ground to an insert...
Try the Tubolight. I ran Cushcore the last few years, one of my buddies runs the Tubolight and swears by them. I have the large size in my bikes 65g for 29, I haven't weighed the 27.5" and my daughter's bike has the medium. I can actually run her tire pressures where they need to be without burping or banging rims.

Beats the hell out of the 200g cushcore.

Well, it's done. Went and picked up my new wheels. This may be "entry level" as far as a bicycle shop is concerned but it is light years ahead of every bike I've ever owned, the latest of which was a 2003 model year Giant. Can't wait to ride tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200422_111258.jpg
    20200422_111258.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Sooo when they say "it's just like riding a bicycle..." I think what they mean is "it's just like riding a bicycle, you never forget, BUT if you let yourself grow into a fat blob with no cardio you'll want to throw up and seriously question how you let yourself go..."

Seriously, had a good ride. Lucked out and had a break in the rain, pushed past my comfort level, got fresh air and alone time out of my house (which is rare during quarantine). 4.6 miles in 27:40. Wanting to keep the rides around 30-45 minutes and add mileage as my conditioning improves.

Reactions: jbell and missed
Sooo when they say "it's just like riding a bicycle..." I think what they mean is "it's just like riding a bicycle, you never forget, BUT if you let yourself grow into a fat blob with no cardio you'll want to throw up and seriously question how you let yourself go..."

Seriously, had a good ride. Lucked out and had a break in the rain, pushed past my comfort level, got fresh air and alone time out of my house (which is rare during quarantine). 4.6 miles in 27:40. Wanting to keep the rides around 30-45 minutes and add mileage as my conditioning improves.

Nice job!

A buddy of mine was in a similar situation just last fall. He rode a lot through college, but then life happened and he really didn't put in any significant saddle time for two decades.

In November, he got a new bike, joined up with a Wednesday night ride that's mostly dads from our sons' Scout den, and started receiving a weekly ass kicking. For a while, he was straggling right from the start, and then he started to hang for at least a few minutes, and now he's doing a respectable job of hanging with the group for a full 10-15 miles. His segment/lap times have dropped by a solid 30-40%, he's dropped weight, and I see a summer of very enjoyable riding ahead.

Any suggestions for all-weather chain lube? I've been using Muc-Off Bio Wet Lube, but damn it makes a nasty mess of the drivetrain, chainstay, my leg, etc. Simple Green doesn't even touch the grimy, gritty deposits that are left behind.

Nice job!

A buddy of mine was in a similar situation just last fall. He rode a lot through college, but then life happened and he really didn't put in any significant saddle time for two decades.

In November, he got a new bike, joined up with a Wednesday night ride that's mostly dads from our sons' Scout den, and started receiving a weekly ass kicking. For a while, he was straggling right from the start, and then he started to hang for at least a few minutes, and now he's doing a respectable job of hanging with the group for a full 10-15 miles. His segment/lap times have dropped by a solid 30-40%, he's dropped weight, and I see a summer of very enjoyable riding ahead.
Embracing the suck. Today was a little easier than yesterday PLUS the weather was awesome (road in 50 degrees in between rain showers yesterday morning). Got to enjoy spring at its finest, birds chirping, sun shining, pleasant temps, smell of flowers, all that good stuff. 5.84 miles in 31:29.

Any suggestions for all-weather chain lube? I've been using Muc-Off Bio Wet Lube, but damn it makes a nasty mess of the drivetrain, chainstay, my leg, etc. Simple Green doesn't even touch the grimy, gritty deposits that are left behind.
I use the Boeshield chain lube, it cleans up decently. It's been better than white lightning, or some of the other waxy lubes I have used in the past. I keep chains pretty much over lubed. I'll apply the stuff shift though all the gears, try to let it sit for a few hours then ride. At least it cleans off your leg with just the degreaser towels with no issue.

Cool, I'll give the Boeshield a try. My experience with the "dry" lubes like White Lightning has generally not been favorable; it seems they work right up to the point where a speck of moist soil gets near the chain, and then it's all over.

Prior to trying the Muc-Off, I was using some homebrew stuff that I mixed using a couple splashes of basic automotive lubricants. It worked really well, but unfortunately the 75W140 synthetic gear lube portion of that witch's brew got kinda stinky after the bike sat in the back of my van on a hot day :sick:

This is the lube I use. I start with a super clean chain, let it dry, then apply a medium amount and run the chain around a few revolutions then wipe off every bit of any excess with a clean dry cloth so there is only lube left in the rollers *not any on the outside of the chain*. Do this the day before you ride and it will work great! I use this for 100 mile races up to 24 hour races with only needing at most 1 more application somewhere during the race.

This is the cleaner I use. I soak the chain, then brush it well with a stiff nylon brush, following by a rinse it with the hose.

The trick to keeping a clean drivetrain is not over lubing.

I ride adventure motorcycles and find that mountain biking is a great way to say in shape and ready for extended saddle times.
20180405_175002.jpg
20180415_185436.jpg

128 oz of synthetic Delvac motor oil to protect a $15,000 diesel pickup engine: $25

2 oz of Silca NFS lube to protect a $22 bike chain: $16.99 :unsure:

Gotta love the bike industry!

Thanks for the recommendation, jbell.

128 oz of synthetic Delvac motor oil to protect a $15,000 diesel pickup engine: $25

Yeah no kidding. That's part of my reason I go with the Boeshield $10/4oz 3 riders seems like chain lube doesn't last around here. Damn $22 chain?, I think the last GX chain I bought was $30 something, and XO1 is $60 something.

priorities... ha

I still run 11-speed Shimano drivetrains, and a basic KMC chain is indeed something like $22 the last time I ordered a few spares. Makes it a bit less painful when a ride turns into one of those hub-deep muck fests and the soundtrack of the final hour is a symphony of grinding noises from the drivetrain.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to find that better chains last longer, and there might be a higher-end option that provides a better dollar:mile ratio.

I was eyeballing that DLC coated KMC chain the other day till I saw the price tag. The SRAM X01 chains have been good for me. My bikes are 12 speeds so I get to pay the premium for chains.

I go through several chains per year, I am diligent about cleaning and lubricating after every ride so I’m doing everything I can to extend the life of them (but I clean and lube for performance not life). I have found on my single speed and my 11 speed drivetrains that Shimano HG 901 last the longest, determined by measuring wear / stretch. I haven’t had great luck with SRAM chains, except Eagle‘s and they seem to be good. Just my .02

I try to clean and lube every ride, sometimes it doesn't happen. Sometimes it gets lubed more and go....

The SRAM X01 eagle chains have been working well for me, really haven't had any complaints. I broke one a few months ago, other than that I have been getting good life from them. Same here I use the chain checker for stretch, but usually the drive train starts acting like a idiot before I hit the stretch point. I'm gonna go home and work on the house trail some this morning, and ride a few laps around it.

Yeah I have had great luck with Eagle X01 chains, but I can’t keep a SRAM 11 speed chain in tension on my SS to save my life where the XTR Shimano doesn't have that problem.

Yes like every 100 miles or so I have to tighten it a little. But that is on my single speed so it is very noticeable & I am very particular about chain tension on a SS (there is a sweet spot where you have basically no drag from the chain but it isn’t flopping around). I have tried KMC chains also and they do the same. But for some reason the hollow pin Shimano chains hold adjustment a long time.

At least with a derailleur it's always got the proper tension. Guess the Shimano chain is a bit tougher. Single speeds can be grouchy on chains. Almost just need a heavier duty chain that will take it.

I've been a Wax guy for decades. It is self cleaning so to speak but does benefit from a cleaning of the cogs from time to time. Road and mountain. Yea you gotta apply it more often than some wet lubes but overall it is very low maintenance lube. Depending on how far you ride and the conditions, you should be able to lube every 3 rides or more. No sprays! just let it drip on from the tip touching the inside of the chain on the bottom before the derailluer when spinning the crank backwards.

I have continued with my found-again love for riding! Have expanded my ride and my "track" is 10.9 miles now. I've done it three times and it's getting easier every time. I've done it in 1:05:08, 1:01:45, and 55:26. It's fun tracking this with an app and seeing my time go down and average miles per hour go up. The first two times I did this ride I felt like I'd had the crap kicked out of me. This last one I feel some fatigue, but also good.

Night riding is good:

IMG_20200513_212551.jpg

Getting a KOM at night is even better:

Screenshot_20200513-230811.png

Now, this wasn't exactly a heavily-contested segment (it's a temporary bypass due to maintenance that was run in the reverse direction) and I'll probably lose it as soon as the local fast guys discover that it exists, but I'll take the opportunity to gloat while I can.

The lighting setup is a Gloworm XSV on the bars and an X2 on my helmet - about 5000 lumens total. At full brightness, it's actually too much light if there is any fog or dust in the air, but it's nice to have the capacity to turn night into day if necessary.

Reactions: jbell and missed
sweet!

I need to get some new lights too, lots of night riding or really early morning to beat the simmer heat sometimes.

It doesn't take anything to fancy to get into night riding. Just a simple $25 LED headlamp works so much better than the "fancy" Nightsun systems that I got started with 25+ years ago. The little Niterider bar-mount lights are also really good for the money. I definitely recommend some level of redundancy, or at least make sure to carry a backup flashlight! Long walks in the dark aren't much fun.

I love riding at night. I do a lot of racing at night too in both 12 hour and 24 hour solo events. My favorite light system is there Trail LED light. Unfortunately they are no longer in business. My lights are getting a few years on them now and it's time to update them, but I can't find anything with the runtime I want. I would like something that can put out around 900 lumens or more for 12-13 hours. That's what I get out of my current setup. Plus it has a very useable beam pattern, which I think is more important than how bright a light is.

I have a few different lights from some old niterider, some that I have built, and a couple other lights. Yes I definitely go with redundancy, lights on the bars and helmet are totally separate systems along with a handheld just in case. I was working hard on a system a couple years ago, but life got in the way like normal.

Like Jbell said there is not much out there that has the ability to provide the run time, plus many have crap beam patterns. The beam patterning is what really killed my momentum on the project as that is the most costly and challenging part of the project. I keep thinking about buying the Outbound trail edition and Hangover. One of the things that I was working on in my system was speed sensing with accelerometers. You can lower lumen output automatically when your going slow, also having multiple LED's within the combined optic so you basically have high beams and low beams, but with ramping so your eyes have time to adapt to the change. This will aid in power management along with limited visibility management. Color management, beam cutoff, makes a huge difference. I am no where near worried as much about weight on the on bike light. I want the run time I want. I was planning on multiple different battery pack sizes so you could have the couple hour run time, all the way to the dusk till dawn pack.

Maybe ill get back to this project one day....This was actually a project I started before Rigid LED's developed there ADAPT lighting system. Myself and a couple other people were thinking about this with the situation adaptive lighting for offroad applications.