• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any mountain bikers out there 2.0

Yeah, beam pattern is important, and I can't claim that I've yet found the perfect setup. There does seem to be some benefit for going with a more focused lens on the headlamp and a broader/diffuse beam on the bars, but I wonder how much of this is ultimately personal preference (keeping in my that I wear corrective lenses, so my peripheral vision is not particularly useful).

Runtime really shouldn't be an issue nowadays; standard power-tool 18650 cells are cheap and offer substantial capacity for the money. Those cells are less than $4/each in small quantities, and they only weigh 50 grams/each so it's possible to stuff a crapload of them into a pack without adversely affecting weight. But looking at the Gloworm system, the 4-cell pack offers 50 Wh for about $120 :mad:

Color temperature is super-important, and I'll gladly give up intensity for CRI. I want flora to look green, not grey.

Adaptive optics could be extremely useful, but I'm not sure the benefit is worth the complexity. Maybe I'd feel differently after trying it! But for now, a decent bar-mounted intensity control works fine.

Thermal performance is all too often overlooked. I've done some LED design for the day job, and it's easy to underestimate the impact of temperature rise on the system performance. Pump a few amps through a handful of Cree XHPs and then assume summertime ambient temperatures and realistic (i.e. near-zero) airflow; it's not easy to maintain an acceptable die temperature with a reasonably-sized housing.

Frankly, the wiring and connectors on most lighting setups kinda sucks. They aren't mechanically robust nor sealed as well as needed for occasional submersion. No one wants the bulk of automotive connectors or the cost of some of the smaller specialty connectors (such as those used for industrial automation), and so we get junk like coaxial/pin-and-barrel connectors.

On the thermal management, that is one of the reasons I was looking to pull back power at low speeds, when you dont need as much light and can aid in cooling and battery life.

Exactly on the batteries. pack a bunch of QUALITY 18650's and be done, make 4 packs that can be connected to the controller so you can run as many as you want or need. 4 cell pack assembled with mini weatherpack connector should be no more than $40-50 retail, even that is high if the scale of economy can be reached. It was the optics that was the big PIA before. LED and power management was not that big of a deal, the ability for the advanced drivers has been around for years now. TI has many drivers now that have the thermal foldback, and many more adaptive technologies built in now. Along with some of the newer LED's that run cooler and are more robust. The CREE XHP2 leds are pretty dang good.

CRI and Color are critical to maintain contrast, so many will crank the lumens and ditch the cri and color at 6-8k which just suck all the way around. I want 5k and 90CRI for clean conditions, and 3k and 90 for dust, rain, mist, snow......

I found some mini weatherpack connectors that are pretty good, minimum purchase was like 1000 pieces though and like you said above they were NOT the budget pieces....

Reactions: E. Bryant
My beloved Miner's Revenge XC & Enduro event got postponed at the last minute - too late to adjust lodging plans - so I headed up to the UP anyways for a couple days of ripping around. Started off by hitting the Tech Trails at my alma mater with my former roommate who now teaches there:

Screenshot_20200715-094857.png

And then went north a bit further to Copper Harbor:

Screenshot_20200715-094803.png

The trails at Copper Harbor are probably the best-constructed that I've ever ridden - roughly 75% machine-built and 25% old-school singletrack, all of which are carved from the billion-year-old rock of Brockway Mountain. The spot is a IMBA Silver ride center, and is highly recommended for anyone who happens to be in the area. Making matters even better are the fellow riders, who collectively are the nicest group of people I've encountered on a bicycle.

Those average power numbers, though :cautious: The power meter really doesn't like to give proper credit for the effort put into technical climbs and descents. It's probably just pissed that I had a few pedal strikes that were hard enough to knock lose my fillings.

Nice! We're heading to spider mountain this weekend then camping all week at a spot with some great trails. Soon as it cools off at the end of the simmer a Bentonville trip is in the works!

That's a sharp ride. I was about to ask how you managed to keep that underseat pack off the rear tire, and then I noticed the lack of a dropper post.

What's "a little porky" by your standards - more than 22lbs? :ROFLMAO: I've been dragging my ass up and down the hills on a 29lb enduro bike all summer, and have no idea what it'd feel like to get on a proper XC rig. I'd probably immediately break it (or myself) by smashing into something like a complete idiot.

That's a sharp ride. I was about to ask how you managed to keep that underseat pack off the rear tire, and then I noticed the lack of a dropper post.

What's "a little porky" by your standards - more than 22lbs? :ROFLMAO: I've been dragging my ass up and down the hills on a 29lb enduro bike all summer, and have no idea what it'd feel like to get on a proper XC rig. I'd probably immediately break it (or myself) by smashing into something like a complete idiot.

Ha, yeah no droppers for me (they weigh too many grams... 😉). This bike is basically the stock XO1 build, less the power meter. I would really like to get it down to 22 pounds. I’m putting my Hydra/Enve wheels on it next week and just put the new Sid Ultimate 120 on it, so I don’t think 22# is in the cards. But that weight is ready to race less a full bottle (including tools and tube). It’s a great riding bike!

Last summer, I was kicking around the idea of building a dedicated XC bike to replace my 429 Trail. This summer, with every race in 2020 now officially cancelled instead of just postponed, I've been riding around the 155mm enduro bike and even my fat bike (albeit with a very summer-oriented setup of Jumbo Jims on lightweight carbon rims) as if bike riding was supposed to be a fun way to exercise and hang out with friends, and not a way to grind myself into the dirt trying to be someone I'm not. Heck, I've even had two road rides and a gravel ride in the past 8 days. Not sure I can even call myself a mountain biker anymore 😔

I'm right there with ya brother! I did a gravel race last month :eek:. It was only a 50 miler so it was quick, but there was a lot of "roadie tactics" which I'm not really used to. I didn't embarrass myself. But yeah my training is basically non-existent at this point. I am looking forward to getting back into base training soon...

Reactions: E. Bryant
Now that I have a good bit of time on this bike I have to say I friggin love it! I have made a few changes / improvements from the stock configuration:
-Enve M525 / I9 Hydra wheels
-Syncros Hixon bar (great for road transfers)
-SID Ultimate 120 fork
-Power2Max power meter
Now I have now more $$ in it than my car, which is proper I think...
IMG_20201024_072833866.jpg

IMG_20200901_172305212.jpg

New tires today, I'm looking forward to trying them out. I have been training and racing on Schwalbe Racing Ray Racing Ralph 29X2.25 since they were introduced. They are great fast xc tires but like every other Schwalbe xc tires they just don't last very long.
I just installed these Kenda Booster Pro 2.4 with SCT. They are heavier than I would like adding 0.6 of a pound to the bike. I'm hoping the added weight pays off in traction!
IMG_20201031_143204126_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I got out this morning to test the new tires Kenda Booster Pro 2.4's. The conditions were about perfect for testing new tires: 28f average temp, rain and sleet mix, wet rocks and roots with a shit load of wet leaves and some frozen mud for good measure. I got in 25 miles at race pace mostly in the dark. So far I'm very impressed with these tires, they hooked up very good both climbing and braking, I had a few slides when I was pushing some corners hard but honestly I could do that in these conditions with any tire. All in all I'm happy and look forward to getting more time on them.

They are not too light at about 730-745 g per tire and only measuring 2.25"-2.3" on my Enve M525 wheels (25mm internal).

IMG_20201101_063100306.jpg

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
28 degrees..... Blaaaa

Supposed to be in the 60's here! I haven't ridden in 3 weeks, work schedule Sucks right now. Hopefully be back at it by the end of the week. I'm glad I have the indoor trainer to get some miles on.

I haven't been on any Kenda tires in a long time. Vittoria has become my go to tires. My daily tires are the trail version of the Aggarro on the rear and Martello front. I do go to the enduro 2 ply casing for races and if I'm going somewhere with a bunch of limestone.

Little shy of 3 weeks till our trip to Bentonville, hopefully the weather holds out.

28 degrees..... Blaaaa

Supposed to be in the 60's here! I haven't ridden in 3 weeks, work schedule Sucks right now. Hopefully be back at it by the end of the week. I'm glad I have the indoor trainer to get some miles on.

I haven't been on any Kenda tires in a long time. Vittoria has become my go to tires. My daily tires are the trail version of the Aggarro on the rear and Martello front. I do go to the enduro 2 ply casing for races and if I'm going somewhere with a bunch of limestone.

Little shy of 3 weeks till our trip to Bentonville, hopefully the weather holds out.

Yeah, I can’t remember the last timeI was on Kenda tires, but we (my race team) got a pretty good deal on them and I was tired of only getting a few hundred miles out of the damn Schwalbe tires. So I figured I would give these a try. I raced the Mezcal 2.25 for a little bit and they were good tires. I have always been a fan of Maxxis Aspens in 2.25” and the 2.35” Ikon but I haven’t been on them in a few seasons.

I am really thinking about selling the Blur (even as much as I love it) and going big on the 2021 S-Works Epic Evo. That bike is really calling my name!! 110 rear and 120 front on a bike that weighs just under 22 pounds! But it is $11,500 retail...

• Wow
Reactions: Bradu
Yeah, I can’t remember the last timeI was on Kenda tires, but we (my race team) got a pretty good deal on them and I was tired of only getting a few hundred miles out of the damn Schwalbe tires. So I figured I would give these a try. I raced the Mezcal 2.25 for a little bit and they were good tires. I have always been a fan of Maxxis Aspens in 2.25” and the 2.35” Ikon but I haven’t been on them in a few seasons.

I am really thinking about selling the Blur (even as much as I love it) and going big on the 2021 S-Works Epic Evo. That bike is really calling my name!! 110 rear and 120 front on a bike that weighs just under 22 pounds! But it is $11,500 retail...
Ah it's only money..... I think it's crazy what Specialized is getting now. I have a buddy that has a new Enduro and there big mountain E bike, both Sworks trim. Kinda crazy to me as a Guerilla Gravity SRAM X01 with DT carbon wheels is $8500.

Reactions: jbell
I know, but I am already into the 5 digit range with my Blur build and it rides so good. I just wish it would fit 2 bottles (without having to use that Wolftooth Side by side cage thing) and was a few pounds lighter... hard to justify the cost for that when I just built a bad ass bike. ADD fueled by OCD really sucks! ha

My shock selection has forced me to the magnetic fidlok bottles. I usually end up riding with the butt bag or backpack.

I have looked at those, do they stay put? My only issue with those is that you need a dedicated bottle to use it and even I'm racing I'll have 15-20 bottles pre filled with Tailwind for sub 5 second fuel stops. That really adds up in a 12 or 24 hour race!

Yeah mine stay great actually better than the Zefal, I lost a bottle on a stage with the Zefal, came through a section way faster than in practice, ended up hucking over a big rough section only to wind up casing the step up on the other side of the creek crossing. would have kept running the Zefal side load, but the shock reservoir is really tight and work/party switch won't work with a bottle in there. The Fidlock has enough room.

That many bottles would add up. Haha I still laugh about Tailwind name. Hopefully it doesn't cause a bunch of Tailwind! I have been meaning to try it.

It's one of the best fuel sources I have tried and I have used them all! I have never had to deal with gas from it and I push the amount per hour as high as I can!

Reactions: Sandhog308
I was offered a free spin on one , by a very pushy and aggressive shop owner.
Kinda wished I had jumped on one and not look back 🤭.....Oops !
I do hear they are fun ....

FWIW.
I tried a few brands and narrowed it down to Rocky Mtn and Specialized. Ultimately choose Rocky. Number one reason was because the power delivery was absolutely the most natural. Simply amazing.

Rim tape on wide wheels (say, anything bigger than 25-30mm) can suck my balls :mad: I'm about ready to break out the Gorilla Tape on this set of Enve 60 Plus wheels, but I know that'd just kick my ass a year from now.

I really like that red tape that Enve gives you with their wheels, but I have never taped any rims over 30mm...

I really like that red tape that Enve gives you with their wheels, but I have never taped any rims over 30mm...

These wheels came with the standard yellow tape (looks the same as Stans), and it didn't lay down neatly during the initial application a couple of years ago. This time around, I've got some narrower Tesa tape that hopefully will lay flat in the center.

I gotta say that, compared to the Lightbike carbon rims that I used on a a couple of other DIY wheel builds, the craftsmanship of these Enve rims is not particularly impressive; they've got that lumpy patch opposite the valve stem (I think this is where the bladder gets pulled out after molding), and there are four seams that also prevent the tape from laying flat.

Agreed, I have owned 2 pair of the M525 / Hydra factory Enve builds and mine look the same. I haven't been blown away either. Plus one pair cracked on me at the nipple holes. Enve was great about replacing the wheels so that's good.

My favorite carbon wheels of all that I have tried are the I9 Pillar Carbon wheels (Torch days). I couldn't kill them no matter how hard I tried.

I haven't been able to destroy a set of the DT Swiss XMC1200 wheels. I have broke some Santa Cruz Reserves. I do have a set of DT XM1500 aluminum wheels and they have been good too. All the DT wheels have 240 hubs which have been awesome. I have thought about getting a set of Industry Nine 305 with the Hydra hubs. I have been going back and forth on racing on the aluminum wheels as they can take a pretty brutal hit and still finish a race. I always have inserts on my carbon wheels which I think has helped save wheels. I did kill one of the reserve wheels with cushcore in it.

Yeah I raced a set of the DT XMC1200 wheels and they were super good too! I'm just an engagement whore (probably from 15 years of racing single speeds). But I keep thinking about a set of DT180's with Berd spokes and super light 25-28mm internal carbon rims. But damn...

I also only do XC stuff and am never more than 1-2 feet off the ground.

I just stick to the 32 teeth stars, I tried the 54 and the pedal kickback was annoying, it was the biggest problem in g outs, dips and high speed berms would rock you back. I love the 32 teeth

DT Swiss stuff has never let me down. I built my first set of wheels 20+ years ago with DT/Hugi hubs, and that bike is still going strong under my nephew's care. Every one of my MTB wheelsets uses 240 or 350 hubs, and the factory-built XM551 27.5+ wheelset on my hardtail has taken some vicious hits without ever requiring so much as a touch-up truing.

The standard 32-tooth star is fine. It's also bombproof. My only complaint is that it's not as obnoxiously loud as the original Hugi face pawl rachet. I miss being able to alert someone to my presence from a half-mile away. I guess that's why I9 hubs exist...

Reactions: missed and jbell

That is what the trail chicken is for. I do want a louder horn for the earbud yuppies. we all have the trail chickens on our bikes, it's awesome when were rolling down the trails together.

Those Hydra hubs are pretty loud, I kinda like how quiet the 240 is with the 32 in there.

I am going to resurrect this thread. I just pulled my Old AF MTB out of the barn. I built them back in the late 90s, so they are 26"s. I need to replace the tires and I am looking for suggestions as I have been biking in a long time. I'll be using them for single track, gravel road, grass fields and hard top ( just to get to trail heads). I am looking at the Maxxis EXO Dual Minion 26x2.3 DHF and DHR, are these any good? Any other suggestions?

I eventually plan on building a 29r after I get back into riding shape. The plan there is to go with a DEAN or Lightspeed Ti HT frame and go Sram or Shimano XT/XTR combo. Any insight on that would be appreciated too.

I am going to resurrect this thread. I just pulled my Old AF MTB out of the barn. I built them back in the late 90s, so they are 26"s. I need to replace the tires and I am looking for suggestions as I have been biking in a long time. I'll be using them for single track, gravel road, grass fields and hard top ( just to get to trail heads). I am looking at the Maxxis EXO Dual Minion 26x2.3 DHF and DHR, are these any good? Any other suggestions?

I eventually plan on building a 29r after I get back into riding shape. The plan there is to go with a DEAN or Lightspeed Ti HT frame and go Sram or Shimano XT/XTR combo. Any insight on that would be appreciated too.

You realize that 26" wheels are so slow that they'll actually cause you to roll backwards? They might as well be square. All that sweet riding that you and I and everyone else used to do on 26” wheels? Purely imaginary - never actually happened.

Ok, snarkiness aside, I would recommend against Minions for anything but serious use in softer conditions with the assistance of gravity - they are kinda heavy and don't roll particularly fast. They do offer terrific grip, but you won't be thinking about that when fighting against them on a long climb. For your described use, the Ikon would be a much better tire IMO. Or run a Minion up front and something less aggressive like an Ardent out back if you're looking to strike a compromise.

I can't speak to the virtue of modern Ti frames, but I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with XT or XTR components (unless you're one of those guys who dislikes brakes that actually slow down the bike, in which case SRAM has you covered). I would say that my Pivot Les has me convinced that carbon is the way to go for hardtails, and I bet that something similar from Santa Cruz or Specialized would have me feeling the same way.

You realize that 26" wheels are so slow that they'll actually cause you to roll backwards? They might as well be square. All that sweet riding that you and I and everyone else used to do on 26” wheels? Purely imaginary - never actually happened.

Ok, snarkiness aside, I would recommend against Minions for anything but serious use in softer conditions with the assistance of gravity - they are kinda heavy and don't roll particularly fast. They do offer terrific grip, but you won't be thinking about that when fighting against them on a long climb. For your described use, the Ikon would be a much better tire IMO. Or run a Minion up front and something less aggressive like an Ardent out back if you're looking to strike a compromise.

I can't speak to the virtue of modern Ti frames, but I cannot imagine anyone being disappointed with XT or XTR components (unless you're one of those guys who dislikes brakes that actually slow down the bike, in which case SRAM has you covered). I would say that my Pivot Les has me convinced that carbon is the way to go for hardtails, and I bet that something similar from Santa Cruz or Specialized would have me feeling the same way.
Thanks on the tire selection. I'll take a look at those. As far as Ti bikes go it just what I used in the past when I used to race a little. It's funny I never felt slow on 26"s, but I can understand why the 29r are faster.

I checked out the Pivot LES and that's light. I may have to rethink going Ti.

Thanks on the tire selection. I'll take a look at those. As far as Ti bikes go it just what I used in the past when I used to race a little. It's funny I never felt slow on 26"s, but I can understand why the 29r are faster.

Every time I get on my 26" dirt jumper, I remember why we ran that size wheel for so long - they're fun! I'm short, so 27.5" wheels are a nice compromise on modern bikes. 29ers do indeed roll fast, but we've got a lot of tight singletrack in MI so that benefit is sometimes not realized to its full potential.

I checked out the Pivot LES and that's light. I may have to rethink going Ti.

It's a great frame - very versatile. Mine is set up to be a bit playful - Fox 34 fork (130mm travel), 27.5+ wheels/tires, dropper post, Renthal 40mm riser bars, etc. By swapping out a few parts, it could be a lightweight XC machine. Or I can convert it to a single-speed. Lots of options.

The new Les SL gives up the options to run 27.5+ tires and a single-speed drivetrain, by in return it's 1/2-3/4lb lighter. A Specialized Epic HT is another 1/2lb lighter yet, but that's somewhere around the point where I'd start feeling really guilty about hitting a jump.

I have a lot of time on custom Ti frame and carbon fiber frame mountain bikes. One of my all time favorite bikes was my Cysco Cycles single speed (formally owned and welded by Richie Moore who was a frame builder for Lightspeed back when David Lynskey owned them), plus I have owned a few Lynskey frames. I have always wanted a Moots but never had that kind of cash until after I found carbon frames. My Cysco was so good, it was lively like a good 853 Reynolds tube steel frame but much lighter. It would load up in the corners and accelerate out and smooth out all the chatter really nice. But I will never forget the day I built my first carbon frame single speed, the first ride it was obscenely obvious how much better the power transfer was than on the Ti frame. After many many years racing several different carbon frames with the bulk of them being on a Pivot Les Gen2 I dont think I will go back to titanium, carbon is just better. I have also had a few geared CF hard tails like last year I built a Santa Cruz Highball that was under 22 pounds ready to race with a Fox 34SC, it was a complete animal! But after building the 2nd Blur I realized that no matter how much I love hard tails (especially a single speed) a efficient light full suspension is the fastest thing in the woods.

On the subject of tires, I am a fan of the Ikon 2.3” tire but the 2.25 or 2.4 Aspen are a better tire in most conditions. If you want a bit more grip but still low weight look at the Maxxis Forekaster, it is a great tire for muddy XC stuff.

Thanks for the replies. I think I have put the cart before the horse. I have already decided on a new bike. I am looking at the Pivot Mach 4 SL XT/XTR. Now the more important stuff I just need to get back out there and ride what I have. I did one ride so far and my lungs were dying. It will be some time before I order a new bike as I am not in shape enough to justify a new bike to myself. Especially one that cost $6500 at this time. I may have to sell some guns to do it.

BTW, here are my old bikes:

Alpine Designs Fly Ti and Alpine Designs Phat Cat. Just put some old WTB tires I had on the Fly Ti. They look brand new, but I'll see how they hold up.

160242338_1757548004404388_6834013503535304407_n.jpg

I have not even had any time to ride this year so far. IT SUCKS! I may squeeze in a easy ride later this week as the weather next week looks like suck. I still need to find a size 4 Guerilla Gravity frame.