• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Any one using the leica 5-30 PRS scopes?

Mrhyne

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2014
Interested in hearing about this scope, but I can’t seem to find many reviews on it. Sounds promising. Would love to hear personal experience, or if I could be pointed in the right direction for good reviews. Thanks!

I’d like to see the breakdown of how the turrets work etc.

yes your review was very helpful!

thanks!

i sent you a PM.

I like mine, only shot it a few times though.

Not much experience with other scopes, but own a Kahles k525i and some higher end hunting scopes.

Covers all my needs for occasional long range sessions!

2B4A2057-953A-414A-BEA9-ADB9338537D4.jpeg

OP: what's your intended use? And which reticle are you interested in?
I'm using the PRB for NRL22 and liking it. It's not perfect, but pretty close for that discipline.
Here's the PRB at 20x
MVIMG_20200623_133413.jpg

How did you find it compared to your Kahles?

Well, as mentioned, I have only shot it a few times. But I can list my first impressions.

- The Leica is more compact than the Kahles, without the sunshade the PRS I would guess is over an inch shorter.
- Being a LH shooter I really liked the parallax on the elevation turret on the Kahles, the PRS has the Parallax on the left side, same spot as illumination for the reticle. I find the adjustment on the PRS to be a little hard on the parallax, might get better with use.
- Turrets on both are good, nice crisp clicks, but I would have to say I like the turrets on the Leica better, easy to see the adjustments and for me it feels better.
- Toolless adjustment of turrets on the Leica is nice, even though the Kahles has the tool built in to the illumination knob. Tool to set zero stop is built in to the windage turret on the Leica.
- Optically, i am no expert. But my subjective opinion is that the Leica is better than the Kahles, better clarity, and is easier to adjust to sharper image at long range. I have a Leica Magnus also, different scope for different use, but better glass than both of theese.
- I have the MSR2 on the Kahles, and PRB on Leica. Kind of like the MSR better, but getting more and more used to the PRB, open center dot has not at all bothered me.
- I do find the leica needing excessive eye relief compared to the Kahles.

All in all I am surprisedin the Leica, kind of bought it on impulse, got a good deal. Wanted to try it out, now thinking that my Kahles might go up for sale.
Also, the Leica is very reasonably priced, 20% less for the Leica compared to the Kahles, I think it is a good deal.

Keep in mind, I have not been able to compare the two to other scopes.

A6B500DB-C706-4F78-99C9-83DD4B0C6F58.jpeg

Reactions: Tono and tydex21
Optomechanically, I like the Leica PRS quite a bit. I did not like the PRB reticle at all, but wanted to spend some more time with the scope. With that in mind, I got my hands on the PRS scope with L-Ballistic reticle that I like quite a bit more. I'll be putting it through its paces for the next couple of months. This being a new design, I do not mind getting another datapoint on tracking and turrets anyway. Optically, this second scope looks very nice. I do not know if it is better than the original one I looked, but definitely not worse.

ILya

Optomechanically, I like the Leica PRS quite a bit. I did not like the PRB reticle at all, but wanted to spend some more time with the scope. With that in mind, I got my hands on the PRS scope with L-Ballistic reticle that I like quite a bit more. I'll be putting it through its paces for the next couple of months. This being a new design, I do not mind getting another datapoint on tracking and turrets anyway. Optically, this second scope looks very nice. I do not know if it is better than the original one I looked, but definitely not worse.

ILya
Any chance you’d post some through scopes of the L-Ballistic reticle? This one had / has my particular attention rather than the PRB as well.

Thanks in advance.

Any chance you’d post some through scopes of the L-Ballistic reticle? This one had / has my particular attention rather than the PRB as well.

Thanks in advance.

I'll do my usual "through the scope" reticle video, but not for a week or two. Too many things ahead of it.

ILya

Well, as mentioned, I have only shot it a few times. But I can list my first impressions.

- The Leica is more compact than the Kahles, without the sunshade the PRS I would guess is over an inch shorter.
- Being a LH shooter I really liked the parallax on the elevation turret on the Kahles, the PRS has the Parallax on the left side, same spot as illumination for the reticle. I find the adjustment on the PRS to be a little hard on the parallax, might get better with use.
- Turrets on both are good, nice crisp clicks, but I would have to say I like the turrets on the Leica better, easy to see the adjustments and for me it feels better.
- Toolless adjustment of turrets on the Leica is nice, even though the Kahles has the tool built in to the illumination knob. Tool to set zero stop is built in to the windage turret on the Leica.
- Optically, i am no expert. But my subjective opinion is that the Leica is better than the Kahles, better clarity, and is easier to adjust to sharper image at long range. I have a Leica Magnus also, different scope for different use, but better glass than both of theese.
- I have the MSR2 on the Kahles, and PRB on Leica. Kind of like the MSR better, but getting more and more used to the PRB, open center dot has not at all bothered me.
- I do find the leica needing excessive eye relief compared to the Kahles.

All in all I am surprisedin the Leica, kind of bought it on impulse, got a good deal. Wanted to try it out, now thinking that my Kahles might go up for sale.
Also, the Leica is very reasonably priced, 20% less for the Leica compared to the Kahles, I think it is a good deal.

Keep in mind, I have not been able to compare the two to other scopes.

View attachment 7368565

Thanks for all the insight, are you saying the magnus or PRC has better Optics?

I'd buy one in a heartbeat, if I had... the... exceptional amount of money it costs.

About to order one of these... I haven't seen any show up in the PX. So either people are liking them, or no one is buying them. Also how is it work with a Leica warranty? Going to order directly from them with a discount, so won't have cameralandny or some dealer to argue warranty for me.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any comparative experience with the Leica versus the Nightforce ATACR 7-35?

Thanks for all the insight, are you saying the magnus or PRC has better Optics?

To me the Magnus seems a little bit clearer than the PRS.

Have gotten some more time behind the scope lately, did alot of shooting in varying conditions out to 1300yards this last weekend, alot of spotting for others too. Really like this scope, others that got to try it were impressed.

Reactions: A.Redd and tydex21
About to order one of these... I haven't seen any show up in the PX. So either people are liking them, or no one is buying them. Also how is it work with a Leica warranty? Going to order directly from them with a discount, so won't have cameralandny or some dealer to argue warranty for me.

Thanks!
The PRS with PRB wasn’t on ExpertVoice so I called like thirty (idk, a lot) of people to try and track down the reason why the other models were on there. Long story short, I got in contact with Ryan Trenka, Leica’s sport optics marketing manager, and he got it put on the site, as he thought it already was available there. Ryan is a shooter too and previously worked with another big optics company that is known and loved. I told Ryan Leica’s customer service wasn’t something that was super well-regarded and he said he knew that and that over the last couple of years they’ve made leaps and bounds and are really stepping it up in that regard. He inspired confidence enough in me to purchase one and put it to the test. In all those calls I made, everyone was awesome and just kept trying to get me to the right person. They finally just sent it to the top for this area (marketing) and I got the answer I was looking for. I think that speaks volumes and am cautiously optimistic. Also, I freaking love the scope so far.

The PRS with PRB wasn’t on ExpertVoice so I called like thirty (idk, a lot) of people to try and track down the reason why the other models were on there. Long story short, I got in contact with Ryan Trenka, Leica’s sport optics marketing manager, and he got it put on the site, as he thought it already was available there. Ryan is a shooter too and previously worked with another big optics company that is known and loved. I told Ryan Leica’s customer service wasn’t something that was super well-regarded and he said he knew that and that over the last couple of years they’ve made leaps and bounds and are really stepping it up in that regard. He inspired confidence enough in me to purchase one and put it to the test. In all those calls I made, everyone was awesome and just kept trying to get me to the right person. They finally just sent it to the top for this area (marketing) and I got the answer I was looking for. I think that speaks volumes and am cautiously optimistic. Also, I freaking love the scope so far.

I ordered one last week from expert voice

i dont even see Leica on EV

must be a brand not offered to my "team" or whatever

must be a brand not offered to my "team" or whatever

Curious to know this as well.
I too don't see them. I haven't filled out anything since they switched to expertvoice from Experticity all it shows in my profile is army. I also don't follow any brands on there.

I follow your YouTube channel and I really appreciate the comparison you make.

Can you give me some advice?

I own a sightron S3 10-50x60 mounted on a 6.5x47 and I'm satisfied.
I'm using it in the range 300-1000 meters, paper and metal plate with max 30, 35 magnification.

Now I want to have a better choice and I was thinking about the new Leika PRS.

Do you think that the Leica will be a significant improvement compared to Sightron?

Bye and thanks.

Curious to know this as well.
I too don't see them. I haven't filled out anything since they switched to expertvoice from Experticity all it shows in my profile is army. I also don't follow any brands on there.

I looked into it. Looks like only active law enforcement and military, not vets. Stupid as all other manufactures I know give discount to veterans.

I got mine in today, and I’m impressed so far. I’m shocked the turrets haven’t been raved about. I own multiple kahles K, multiple Schmidt’s, ect... I must say I’m really digging the turrets.

I got mine in today, and I’m impressed so far. I’m shocked the turrets haven’t been raved about. I own multiple kahles K, multiple Schmidt’s, ect... I must say I’m really digging the turrets.
I’m with you man. I freaking love the turrets. Turrets are subjective though. In a review on here the turrets were described as almost “too clicky” lol and I can absolutely see how he could say that. However, this is where subjectivity comes in...I love them being clicky!!

Did you order it from Expert Voice? How long from time of order to receiving it?

for low light/end of day how does this compare to a 5-25 PMII?

I have a 4-16 ultra bright, and would say they are comparable. The ultrabright obviously has an edge but the gap between the 2 is small. I always find it very difficult to rank scopes of this caliber.

Reactions: tydex21
Am I crazy or did a post with a pretty decent initial review on this scope disappear? I can’t find it to save my life!

Lol, it was a lot so no way I could replicate it. There were some really good pics, even with clip on nvg system. I have no idea why it disappeared.

...and if it was The King who wrote that review it may not bode well lol. That guy has had more high end scopes break on him than damn near everyone else on here combined lol.

I got my Leica in today, put it side by side the Tract Toric 4.5-30x56. The Leica glass is a bit crisper. Here's it at 15x @ 33 yards.

IMG_20200805_191601.jpg

The tree really just fades out. I'm honestly not sure how usable it is. I'll have to test it out at longer distances. It might be a good amount of just quick holdovers with a very minimal tree.

I don't mind the open circle, though this is a bad picture to see the center of the reticle, oops.

All of my previous scopes had locking turrets, so not sure how I feel about it not locking. Will I accidentally bump it? I don't know since all my previous turrets are locking.

Parallax was really stiff, but running it back and forth a bunch definitely loosened it up and it's not bad. I wish there were more #'s than 20, 100, and infinity on the parallax knob though.

I won't be able to take it out in long distance mirage in a while to make the comparison. Not sure which scope I want to keep, only can keep 1.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
The parallax is very stiff, I thought mine loosened up but every time I use it I think how stiff it is. Even though it is stiff, I don’t think it is a hindrance. I hate the fact it doesn’t include distance on the parallax knob, I’m not sure why they wouldn’t take the time to place distances on it.

Reactions: littlepod
The one thing I’ll say about my parallax is that the 20 and 100 are absolutely dead on. Many other, even high end scopes the numbers don’t match up anyway. But I agree, a reference would be nice.

Reactions: A.Redd
I got my Leica in today, put it side by side the Tract Toric 4.5-30x56. The Leica glass is a bit crisper. Here's it at 15x @ 33 yards.

View attachment 7392239

The tree really just fades out. I'm honestly not sure how usable it is. I'll have to test it out at longer distances. It might be a good amount of just quick holdovers with a very minimal tree.

I don't mind the open circle, though this is a bad picture to see the center of the reticle, oops.

All of my previous scopes had locking turrets, so not sure how I feel about it not locking. Will I accidentally bump it? I don't know since all my previous turrets are locking.

Parallax was really stiff, but running it back and forth a bunch definitely loosened it up and it's not bad. I wish there were more #'s than 20, 100, and infinity on the parallax knob though.

I won't be able to take it out in long distance mirage in a while to make the comparison. Not sure which scope I want to keep, only can keep 1.
So the tree was designed to be as minimal as possible so you can spot your impact, but be useable when you are trying to use it. Looking at mine beyond 250 or so at 15x or higher, has been useable for me. However, it takes more focus on my part than my other reticles. For me, time will tell how I feel about it. Right now, I like it and it has worked, but I have concerns about speed of use. Maybe it just takes practice. I won’t be able to find out or review further for a while because I only had mine for a couple weeks before I left the country for a while.

So the tree was designed to be as minimal as possible so you can spot your impact, but be useable when you are trying to use it. Looking at mine beyond 250 or so at 15x or higher, has been useable for me. However, it takes more focus on my part than my other reticles. For me, time will tell how I feel about it. Right now, I like it and it has worked, but I have concerns about speed of use. Maybe it just takes practice. I won’t be able to find out or review further for a while because I only had mine for a couple weeks before I left the country for a while.

Yeh I think there's a market for this... I primarily do holdovers so having #'s down the center is very quick to get a holdover reference versus having to look down the side of a tree to find which holdover mil you are on. And like you said the spotting the impact and giving you a quick .5 mil reference probably is pretty good. I'll have to run it in matches to really see.

< 15x I can't see the open circle outline, so I'm just centering it in the cross hairs. I find the circle more usable at like 16x+

Parallax, I can probably live with if I start memorizing what each little increasing rectangle size means...

For those running PRS matches, how much of a 'must' is locking turrets? I've always had locking turrets so I don't how often something accidental happens.

Reactions: tydex21
Yeh I think there's a market for this... I primarily do holdovers so having #'s down the center is very quick to get a holdover reference versus having to look down the side of a tree to find which holdover mil you are on. And like you said the spotting the impact and giving you a quick .5 mil reference probably is pretty good. I'll have to run it in matches to really see.

< 15x I can't see the open circle outline, so I'm just centering it in the cross hairs. I find the circle more usable at like 16x+

Parallax, I can probably live with if I start memorizing what each little increasing rectangle size means...

For those running PRS matches, how much of a 'must' is locking turrets? I've always had locking turrets so I don't how often something accidental happens.
Man, I’m glad you said that about 16x. I found 15 to be my spot, but I came into it expecting to run 12xish. I thought my eyes were going bad lol. I’ve ran non-locking turrets forever and have only had issues chasing hogs on a side by side catching air and smashing the ground and never by more than a click. Locking turrets are super nice but IMO, turrets should always be part of your cross-check or gun checklist or whatever you want to call it. Long story short, these turrets are very positive and I don’t think they are going anywhere unless you hit your gun so hard that you are going to check it anyway.

Reactions: littlepod