• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reason you never see builds on Winchester Actions?

While not nearly as refined as LongRifles, here is mine.

ptgdbm002.jpg

ptgdbm004.jpg

Is this an spr a1? Consider it a good buy?

This is the same boat I'm in. I'm about to send my FN SPR A1a to Mark @ SAC for their bedding job, barrel threading, fitting a brake, bolt knob and then refinish the whole setup. Well.. I started looking at other options and I'm just not excited about a 700 clone. The AI pre-2014 AIAX really caught my eye as well as the TRG... I've spent all day pouring over all I can find on the AI rifles and I'm just not sure. I found a great deal on a TRG as well..

I love love love the FN.. Thinking I should go forward with the plan to send it to SAC. Rifle in question:

View attachment 49161

One way I found to reduce the cost of the build is to either bed yourself, which is not ideal or go with a chassis system. I would love to put it in a manners with a mini- chassis, cos I love the feel of their stock. Or go with a full chassis like mccree( short action only) or the pdc chassis...( not a fan of the open stock frame design) now if only some one with cnc and cad would design a system which could take a winchester action and bolt on a conventional looking set of skins..like the viper skins.

Did find this company though, I wonder if they work with other peoples stock or if manners will inlet for their chassis.
Custom Replacement Gunstocks, Rifle Stocks - Quality, Accuracy, Aluminum Chassis - Accurate Innovations

Give me a Win-70/FN over the thoroughly unimpressive Remington 700 or any of the clones any day! I have 3 of them and love them. When I was in the market for a true high grade precision rifle that was better than my CRF actions, there was only one that even came close and that was an AI. Absolutely love my AX but it is a bit too much weight to carry for hunting.

Is this an spr a1? Consider it a good buy?

Not quite. Its a factory Winchester stealth, the differences are a 26" non chromed lined barrel with a freebore that is about .1 shorter than the 308 SPR I had, it doesn't have 8/40 screws for the scope base and last, it has a MOA trigger from the factory. All that said, it has about a 75fps advantage to my old SPR and while may SPR shot good groups this thing shoots like it wears a custom barrel... super tight. I was going to have it cut back until I started shooting it and saw it shot to good to mess with. I sold my SPR shortly after buying this and upgraded the stock to a SPR take off, bedded it in devcan and swapped a spring in the trigger for a nice 3 pound pull. Also added PT&G's AI AE DBM system that required no action work to install.

Not quite. Its a factory Winchester stealth, the differences are a 26" non chromed lined barrel with a freebore that is about .1 shorter than the 308 SPR I had, it doesn't have 8/40 screws for the scope base and last, it has a MOA trigger from the factory. All that said, it has about a 75fps advantage to my old SPR and while may SPR shot good groups this thing shoots like it wears a custom barrel... super tight. I was going to have it cut back until I started shooting it and saw it shot to good to mess with. I sold my SPR shortly after buying this and upgraded the stock to a SPR take off, bedded it in devcan and swapped a spring in the trigger for a nice 3 pound pull. Also added PT&G's AI AE DBM system that required no action work to install.

That being said, would you have stuck with your spr had you not had the stealth? I'm trying to decide on a good factory .308.

In my opinion, its pretty hard to beat a Rem700 SPS Tactical in 308. Its only about 650$ and will shoot half MOA. Dont get me wrong, the Winchester is a much better rifle, but the difference in price is alot.

That being said, would you have stuck with your spr had you not had the stealth? I'm trying to decide on a good factory .308.

Yes, but I was not a fan of the DBM mine had before they switched to TDM or what ever the new models have. The 4 round capacity and the fact that the front spot welded snail spring keep breaking, making the mag useless pissed me off enough to buy the take off stock and hinged floor plate and convert it. FWIW, I have not heard any complaints regarding the new mag system... If the FN SPR A3G didn't have that adjustable saddle cheek piece and had something without McMillan's ugly (my opinion) tension knobs that seem to work loose on the stocks I have had and had something like a KMW's adjustable system I would buy one in a heart beat.

I have the Loggerhead setup in my SPR A1a stock, very happy with it. Same goes for FN's new bottom metal and magazines.

In my opinion, its pretty hard to beat a Rem700 SPS Tactical in 308. Its only about 650$ and will shoot half MOA. Dont get me wrong, the Winchester is a much better rifle, but the difference in price is alot.

True... But once you put a Manners mini chassis stock or a standard stock, bed it, add a dbm on it and upgrade the trigger with a new spring or replace it your 595.00 (price around here) SPS tactical is 1300 on the cheap end and 1700 on the tricked out version (if you do your own work).

I agree. But the factory Rem will shoot half MOA. The goodies you listed are icing on the cake. I dropped my SPS in an AICS only because I love the stock, not because it needed a new stock. But who leaves rifles in their factory condition right? lmao.. Friends dont let friends shoot stock.

Yes, but I was not a fan of the DBM mine had before they switched to TDM or what ever the new models have. The 4 round capacity and the fact that the front spot welded snail spring keep breaking, making the mag useless pissed me off enough to buy the take off stock and hinged floor plate and convert it. FWIW, I have not heard any complaints regarding the new mag system... If the FN SPR A3G didn't have that adjustable saddle cheek piece and had something without McMillan's ugly (my opinion) tension knobs that seem to work loose on the stocks I have had and had something like a KMW's adjustable system I would buy one in a heart beat.

Thanks a lot. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing one of those bedded SPR A1s from tacord off here. Just might go with the blind box and add the ptg later for mag compatibility. There is no excuse for me to not have a .308 in my safe.

Any reason you never see builds on Winchester Actions?

This is the dilemma I am facing. But I am going to go with it anyway. Atleast at this point. Or I'll just save up a bit, ok a lot more and go with an accuracy international. I just can't seem to get excited about a remington clone. Mcmillian used to make a sweet control round feed action but I can't find it on their website anywhere. The other option I was considering is buy a winchester Laredo and they eventually upgrade the barrel and stock.
Although looking at GAP price for truing and blue printing an action if they are installing the barrel seems very reasonable...$100 bucks.
Gotta love first world problems.
One question though, is a getting a bedding job worth it or can one get the same results with a bolt and go system like the pdc chassis that is pictured above?

I had one and the mcmillan crf action wasn't very reliable as far as extracting was concerned. It really wasn't reliable at all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: LRJammer
I wish the action was a little lighter, but I'm a fan. I've had at least a dozen over the years. Still have quite a few and a couple SPR actions waiting to become something. Wish I'd bought a few more when CDNN was selling them.

I wish the action was a little lighter, but I'm a fan. I've had at least a dozen over the years. Still have quite a few and a couple SPR actions waiting to become something. Wish I'd bought a few more when CDNN was selling them.

Not wanting to sell one to a fellow crf fan who was late to the cdnn party?

umuqaqe7.jpg

6.5 Creedmoor built on a new model 70. Shoots far better than I do! I love my CRF mod 70's

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I started out a Remington 700 fan. I have had and built 7 PSS rifles. I thought they were just the best thing ever. That is till I put my hands on my first Winchester M70. Now I have two FN SPR's An A1 and a A2, and a winchester extreme weather M70 in 308. I will never go back to a rem 700. I would not take 20 of them for one of my SPRs. They are that much better. At least to me. There are many things that make the winchester a better action. But the two big ones for me are, safety in the bolt. You are blocking the firing pin, not just the trigger. Bar none the best safest possible set up. And second you have a real extractor. Not some sad little excuse for a fingernail of spring steel. A winchester grips darn near a third of the rim of the case with a huge mauser style extractor. The remington grips next to nothing. And I have to add a third thing to the list. The winchesters bolt handle and bolt are one piece of the same strong steel. The remington has some sad excuse of cast $%& brazed to the bolt body. Looks like something off a cap gun. So sad. But you get what you pay for.

New here and love it. I am a Winchester fan. Many years ago I went to my local gun shop and asked the owner if he had a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 270. He said he did not. We talked a while about whatever and he asked why I wanted a Remington. I said I didn't really know, I saw one in a magazine and liked the looks of it. He walked to the wall and took a new Winchester Feather Wt in 270 down and handed it to me. He said take that and shoot it and if you don't like it I will order you a Remington. I still remember his smile when he said if you want a shotgun buy a Remington but if you want a rifle buy a Winchester, It's a Rifleman's rifle. Well I laughed, took the Winchester (try that today with no paperwork) and left. I shot it, fell in love and went back and paid for it. I still have that one, and a few more.

The remington has some sad excuse of cast $%& brazed to the bolt body. Looks like something off a cap gun. So sad. But you get what you pay for.
What's really sad is that with Remingtons you often get LESS than what you paid for.

I've had two Winchesters (.223 Stealth and a .260 Rem custom HP match rifle built on a pre 64 action), two Howas (1500 Lightning in 30-06 and 1500 HB in .308), and a CZ550 in 6.5x55 and have always got what I paid for or more with each one of them.

There are too many high quality factory rifles (Winchester, Howa, CZ to name three) to bother with Remingtons.

Last edited:
Some day really soon my Black Hole Weaponry barrel will arrive and I can finish my M70 build. It'll wear a 24" full bull pipe chambered for 7RM on my Winchester push-feed action. I think people go the easy way when they go Remington or Savage. When you pick a Winchester rifle you're starting with (nowadays) a much more expensive rifle or an older rifle that's likely set up for hunting. There's a small-ish aftermarket for fiddling with Winchester rifles but a huge one for Remington. Those of us that modify/rebuild Winchesters are electing to participate in an astonishingly expensive form of fan-boy-ism if we're using a modern FN built m70 and a slightly less expensive form of sentimentality if we elect to use an older Winchester action. Simply, there are cheaper ways of accomplishing the same thing... Remington and Savage actions.

For my part, I wouldn't do a Winchester build with CRF. My Winchester is push feed so it wasn't such a big deal to do a build on it. CRF adds needlessly (for my purposes) to the cost so that cuts out about half of m70's that are out there. The push-feed m70's are not substantively very different from a m700 so I think a lot of folks just decide to go the cheaper route and Remington their build. I personally like the 70's safety better and the integral recoil lug makes for one less thing I have to purchase a replacement for.

I would say it has to do more with the aftermarket support for the 700 over a Winny action.

Military went with a 700, so the market went with developing things to support that. Take drop bottom metal for example, if CDI didn't step to the plate, there wouldn't really be a tactical option that I'm aware of.

That goes with stocks and chassis also. They were created for the 700 demand first, thus driving more people to go with a 700 over the winchester because more options were available.

Chicken and egg problem. The military went with the Remington 700 over the Winchester 70 in the 1960s because then, like now, they were cheaper.

I wasn't late to the CDNN party but I did make the terrible mistake of not buying a bunch of them and putting them in the safe.

I have an old sears Ted williams rifle in 270 (it's a post 64 m70) that I want to have built, it's a hand me down from my grandfather, I want to have it built in 300wm, looks like I know places to send it to now. But which stock should I get? I originally wanted a manners T4A side folding but if they don't do a mini chassis like I wanted then I don't know who to go with.

I have 3 custom builds on model 70 actions. I really like them better than the Remington but my gap 308 shoots great.

25-06 ackley on a post 64 super grade Mauser action

243 ackley on a post 64 Mauser action

30-338 on a pre 64 action.

It is; do it. The factory barrels are plenty accurate. I bed the action, and diamond-lap all the barrels. Rarely have one that won't shoot under 0.6" for 5 shots at 100 yds. Some are much better than that. If you want to change triggers, get a Jewell, either target or hunting, depending on the application. Other triggers like Timney and Shilen, if available for these rifles, are also good. Get a wood stock, or one of the models that's in a Bell & Carlson stock.
Also consider Rifle Basix triggers from Northland Shooters Supply/Jim Briggs.
Jim

Jim,
What is diamond lapping a barrel? Thanks, Beau