• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

any shooting mats where the top doesnt get scalding hot in the summer?

Captain Teeto

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2019
CA
im in CA and a lot of the shooting mats im looking at seem to have issues where parts of the mat, esp for elbows and knees, get really hot during the hotter days. summers where im at routinely hit 100+. The midway pro seems to have that issue according to many reviewers.

My coyote TAB Gear mat doesnt heat up in the summer sun.

nice. ill definitely look into it. apparently the midway pro gen 2s have a different material to fix that issue, but im not too keen on spending $100 on a mat

Avoid the black rubberized "anti-skid" material. That really heats up. Not sure if the other colors do as well. Avoid black...

Reactions: opeagle and brianf
Avoid the black rubberized "anti-skid" material. That really heats up. Not sure if the other colors do as well. Avoid black...

I agree completely, however I have one with tan anti skid, it gets hot as well. Just look for those with no grippy stuff in a lighter color.

funny enough dirt with grass stays mostly a constant temp even in sun lumpy yes , bumpy defiantly grass and dirt a winning combo and you could roll up your own sod if you had to. and best of all its free if you have a yard,

I live in Vegas, and I have the same problem. The Creedmoor sports mats can be ordered without the rubber. I emailed them a while ago and that's what I was told.

Yes its called Quit being a sissy and shoot from the ground. It never gets that hot.
funny enough dirt with grass stays mostly a constant temp even in sun lumpy yes , bumpy defiantly grass and dirt a winning combo and you could roll up your own sod if you had to. and best of all its free if you have a yard,
With the plethora of blast mitigation devices on the market the ground is more of a viable option in 2019 than it has ever been! No tossed salad no choking on dirt. No more pebbles hitting your fucking forehead. #dirtislife

Use a pop up canopy shade. Get a tan mat, not a black one. That covers everything.

I use a Crown Shade 10x10 and Midway shooting mat. I also have a weight kit so I dont have to hammer spikes into the feet every time. Its makes shooting a night and day difference in the open and set up or take down is only 3 minutes.

Light color and one with the rubberized stuff on only one side so you can face it down. I bought a single mattress light beige duvet cover. Fits over the shooting mat when I am in the sun. best part is you can throw it in the washer easily.

Get old bedroom or living room carpet in a light color.

If your worried about the ground (muddy) lay a tarp down first then the carpet.

I got an entire bedroom for cheap. We made a dozen shooting mats of all sizes.

24-30 inches wide by 5-6 feet.

Often just a 30" x 30" is plenty.

Measure how wide your elbows are behind the rifle prone...use that for your width. Then down to your chest or waist is enough for most days in my area.

+1 and cheap

Lay on the ground and dust off when you are done would be the first choice. Second is grab an old blanket out of the closet and use that. No need for a high dollar mat to lay down on. Good grief!!!!

Reactions: DaleGribble82
I have one of the Cabelas and Rifles Only mats. No problems with either shooting in the southwest Texas heat.

I like the canopy idea, especially if I could get some people fanning me with banana leaves and feeding me grapes in between shots
You may laugh, but I was the last to buy a canopy out of my more "well heeled" shooting friends and my canopy was one of the single best purchases I have made for increasing shooting enjoyment. Plus, all the chicks flock to your shade at shooting events. ;)

When I dont have a canooy I throw a small towel on my mat to keep it covered from the sun till I shoot. As a last resort, with no towel on a dry day I turn it over between strings if I walk away and flip it when I get back on.

I have to admit, I too have used a pop up canopy, I am also building a roof over my shooting bench and extending it enough to have a place to shoot prone as well.

How has no one mentioned the blue moving blankets. Things are comfy as hell and don’t warm up. Cost 5-10 bucks last forever
LOL Harbor freight had them on sale today for $3.99 I finally replaced the two I got back in the 90s and smelled like ass.

Hopefully the smell will keep the raccoons out of the trash can for a few days....

dirt keeps a cool temp especially when It's covered by grass . and its everywhere so maybe sod is the take anywhere always cool easy to roll up mat your looking for
1628571434387.png

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
Make sure you know how to wash out blood if you or someone sleeping in your bed menstruates. Also, keep in mind that cleanliness and keeping those bedding spotless will often take precedence over your comfort and quiet. "Oh no, there's a stain on my cover...let me get out of bed at 4 a.m. and scrub it away!" or "I'd better not drink this tea in bed, apply any lotion, or fall into bed after a long day, because the covers will get dirty."

Do you find lots of shooters menstruating on your shooting pad?

I will admit the follow up has me thinking about using mine for tea time, lotion application, yoga, arts & crafts, and more!

Hi,

More than likely spambot out of Pakistan.

Sincerely,
Theis
Perhaps, but it did make me say WTF. Enough that I went and looked at the profile- joined last year and 2 posts. The other post was almost coherent and on point in the posted thread.