• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Any 'smiths known for Tikka Builds?

Undertow

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Lehigh Valley,PA
I have been wanting to try a Tikka for a long time, and I am about to pull the trigger on a T3 Scout .308. I want to use this as a base for a budget precision rifle for use out to 750 yards.

I plan on getting a new stock for it, and then slowly modifying it over time as I learn more about it as well as learn more about what I want out of it.

My ultimate question, are there any smiths that are known for their Tikka builds? I know some people have concern over the recoil lug design for example. , so I would like to work with a smith that is familiar with their quirks and can advise me and perform the work.

Re: Any 'smiths known for Tikka Builds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Undertow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been wanting to try a Tikka for a long time, and I am about to pull the trigger on a T3 Scout .308. I want to use this as a base for a budget precision rifle for use out to 750 yards.

I plan on getting a new stock for it, and then slowly modifying it over time as I learn more about it as well as learn more about what I want out of it.

My ultimate question, are there any smiths that are known for their Tikka builds? I know some people have concern over the recoil lug design for example. , so I would like to work with a smith that is familiar with their quirks and can advise me and perform the work.
</div></div>

Speak with Mike Bush of Underground Skunkworks. I have not had any work done myself yet but I am sitting on a T3 scout myself and a Manners T4 stock just waiting for a AICS bottom metal piece to come in. I recently reached out to him in regards to questions along your lines and the build and he has been on point no matter the time or day through email with answers back. Based on their Tikka build reputation and how fast and responsive he's been to all my questions all my bits are heading there as soon as that bottom metal gets in.

Sorry I don't have direct experience but hopefully its a direction of some sort for you.

I had Mac Tilton do mine. Had to send it back once because the muzzle threads were horrible. He paid for the return shipping and made it right, but now I have a 21" barrel when I wanted a 22" barrel. The throat was also cut very short, too short to shoot factory 6.5 Creedmoor ammo. I didn't realize this prior to having the barrel sent off to be nitrided, so I'm stuck with it. That is partially my fault. I am confident that he would have made it right, but that's 2 strikes. They may have had a new machinist, or someone may have been having a bad day, but there are others out there who I would try before sending anything off to MT Guns again. If I need another Tikka rebarrelled, I'll be sending it off to Underground Skunkworks.
-Dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jchapman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Undertow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been wanting to try a Tikka for a long time, and I am about to pull the trigger on a T3 Scout .308. I want to use this as a base for a budget precision rifle for use out to 750 yards.

</div></div>

Speak with Mike Bush of Underground Skunkworks. I have not had any work done myself yet but I am sitting on a T3 scout myself and a Manners T4 stock just waiting for a AICS bottom metal piece to come in. I recently reached out to him in regards to questions along your lines and the build and he has been on point no matter the time or day through email with answers back. Based on their Tikka build reputation and how fast and responsive he's been to all my questions all my bits are heading there as soon as that bottom metal gets in.

Sorry I don't have direct experience but hopefully its a direction of some sort for you. </div></div>

I'm fortunate to belong to the same range that Mike uses to test his rifles prior to shipping. Every build of his that I've seen is both a work of art and a tack driver. I don't think that you can go wrong with one of his builds. Good luck either way.

Here is the .260 Mike and Tim (Black Ops Precision... formerly Underground Skunkworks) built for me:

IMG_0774.jpg

Build thread:

http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3014558&page=1

If you can talk Mike into building another you will not be disappointed. They are truly works of art. But be warned... your friends won't want to shoot with you any more and your competitors will hate you.
grin.gif
If you cannot, another smith that I really respect that is doing a couple Tikka builds for Hide guys, is Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc.

John

Damn John , your UGSW build thread was worth 1000 words. That is an amazing rifle!

That build answered my questions as far as the recoil lug solution, and they sure put together an elegant solution . Not to mention the kick ass bolt shroud.

It looks like I better speak with UGSW and start saving my pennies!

-Gabe