• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any suggestions on a video security system

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    So I have a douche bag neighbor who has decided that he needs to get his landscape equipment , trailer etc into his backyard . The only problem is he wants to change the grade , rip my privacy fence down to widen his access read as encroachment , fill my side yard with stone and cut down a tree on my property that shades my house . The bonus is that this idiot is out on parole and yet keeps causing shit weekly . I had oak rounds dropped off and he called License and Inspection on me saying that I had dead fallen trees all over the property . He had an asshole come out to do his drive way and grade the side and wound up digging up my side yard . That didn't go well . Four douchebags surrounding me and one idiot running at me screaming I'll fuckin kill you . Na don't think so retard . No one got fucked up or shot but the police were called . They advised me to survey and file a complaint for encroachment . Douche bag comes over couple of weeks ago and asks about taking down the tree for the fifth time only to be told fuck off . So genius calls my mortgage company/bank to tell them that I abandoned the property and the doors are wide open . Here I find some knuckle head wandering around my back yard ask him what he thinks he's doing and he shows me the work order . So plan A is security camera system followed by survey and camera to make sure shit for brains does not pull out the marker . Oh forgot to mention that there was a survey monument in the corner of his yard . Previous neighbor looked into removing it and was told nope verboten . Don't know if there are penalties but the L&I told him that it was illegal . So of course new douche bag digs it up . Last but not least is a new chain link fence down to the sidewalk in conjunction with an encroachment suit . This rocket scientist doesn't take no for an answer which explains his three stays at state involuntary housing . Finally if I catch him on camera or have any shit with him on camera its back to prison shit head . It really escapes me just how thick this insect is . Which leads to the original question . Any body have any experience with security camera systems that are good resolution without breaking bank .

Most definitely, start off good and right. Like safes, go with what you think you need, then double it. At least 8 input DVR, but definitely lean towards 16. The camera's that they have now are fantastic compared to those of yesteryear. The DVR's abilities are also great. DON'T purchase a Costco setup. See an actual professional security guy.
    A) they know what they're talking about, and can start you off on a system that you can build upon.
    B) the know what you need, and what you don't.
    C) they also sometimes have used equipment from upgrading current customers systems, that they're offering. (ding-ding-ding---we have a winner)
    D) wireless is a NO-GO. Long story there.
    E) running your own wires, starting with CAT5 cables to everywhere you want a camera to be will power and supply video signal from 2 separate camera's, minimum. If by chance you have local/remote 120v AC where you want the cameras, then the twisted pairs in the CAT5 can carry up to 4 different camera inputs.
    ---placement and strategy are key.

Again, this can all be discussed with the actual professional.

Video monitors, remote monitors, and even transferring the images to your phone is possible, and a whole other set of conversations. How far do you want to go?

You're off to a great start. Follow through, soon. By the sounds of things, you could have nailed him numerous times already. The clarity on great cameras is incredible. FLIR makes a number, both IR and UV. Or, only UV, for lower costs.

Night vision is clear. Thermal I haven't tried yet. And our system is built "piecemeal".

Alot of the security systems are pricey because of "their professional installation". If you do it yourself and only purchase components.... the price is more than cut in half.

Hope this helps.

I saw the Flir that are marketed as Lorex . I'll give them a look . We have a Flir IR camera in work . They make good stuff . Thanks for the reply .

I recently installed one of the these after much hemming and hawing over reviews, ratings, etc trying to find best bang for buck without breaking the bank that met my specifications. (just like optics come to think of it). Looked at the reviews on amazon, their website, etc. It was actually quite clear and very easy to set up for a non tech former 11B. I had an older 700 TVL system that I upgraded and this is miles apart. I can actually make out faces and license plates when zooming in where before it was just a pixulated blob. This system works and didn't break the bank. Clarity and color are great. I HDMI cabled it to my TV for viewing, but can also log in from the computer to see/take clips/save files etc.

It doesn't have wifi and the cameras aren't wireless but that was part of my specs I wanted since I wanted a hard wired system. I don't like wifi and it always seems to crap out on you when you need it or you get loss of signal/clarity. I did set up at vitrtual private network (VPN) so I can remote view in thru my phone use the computer to access it as mentioned earlier but that isn't necessary for this to do its job. The "Night vision" works ok. It is simply IR lights that aid in the NV. Says @140 feet but I get pretty good out to around 100' real world.

https://amcrest.com/1080p-hdcvi-8ch-2tb-8bullet-security-camera-system-amdv10808-8b.html

Came well packaged, has great customer support. (I call and talk to real person quickly and they help with set up) and most importantly the directions weren't in Engrish. I could actually read and follow the manual to set this up. the hardest part I had was squeezing my not so small frame thru the attic rafters without making a bigdaddy sized hole in ceiling as I ran the Siamese cables. I would recommend adding a battery back up for computers to the DVR and power station.

The biggest issue I had with the system is the DVR cooling fans are loud as shit. no biggie where I have them stored but don't expect to put it in a bedroom and sleep. You can remove and upgrade the cooling fans if you want. Some of the amazon reviews discussed it and linked to the parts you needed. Other than that this sounds like it would do what you need.

Figure out how far you are viewing, how many channels (cameras) you will need. I prefer bullet cams for outdoors but if under cover/eaves you could do domes. I am the type of guy that prefers to do shit myself rather than pay someone else to do it and learn something new in the process and this was pretty easy. I am sure there is somebody here with more experience in this field than I, but I don't regret this system and purchase.

p.s. I didn't buy thru amazon. contacted the company direct and they dropped 10% off when I ordered thru them. They seem to sell for the same amount on amazon and amcrests website.

I saw the Flir that are marketed as Lorex . I'll give them a look . We have a Flir IR camera in work . They make good stuff . Thanks for the reply .

My apologies for not being clearer. There is actual FLIR, and then there is the "flir as marketed by Lorex". Know that they are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. Actual FLIR cameras is what I was talking about, and have experience with. Even the different professionals whom I've dealt with, didn't have the greatest words to say for the "flir as marketed by Lorex". Tread up that direction, as you see fit. Hopefully, with care and investigation.

Look into external logging/backup, as over satellite, interweb, etc. In case something . . . happens to the base recorder, you'll have copies off-site. Learned that from a friend who had three sites quad replicated (at each other, plus a fourth site).

Get a couple game cameras, IR capable, CUDDYBACK brand at Cabelas, 139.00 each. Takes video,or pictures. You will need a separate SD card and the ability to load it into your CPU or digital camera to view. I have two running on a jobsite right now monitoring gate access. They work great. Could be a good fill in until you get a better system installed.