• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any Win M70 Experts - Question about a pre '64

nickw

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2003
Western MA
Always wanted one- just because- the rifleman's rifle. Anyways- local shop has a M70 SN 184959, 30-06. I'd put it @ 90-95%. Looks all original. Wood is nice. Metal/blue nice other than bolt handle which has some wear on bottom. Asking $700. From what I can find, it was built around 1950. Anyone have experience w/ these? Anything I should look for? Is price fair? Thanks for the help.
Nick-

Re: Any Win M70 Experts - Question about a pre '64

Check headspace and rifling if at all possible. If your looking to see if it's worth it look on gunbroker at some in compairable condition to see what they are going for. Is it a sporter barrel, target rifle? In any case if head space and bore looks good I would think it is worth it, but that is only an opinion.

Mark

Thanks Mark- Good call on GB. Yes, sporter bbl. Rifling/bore looked good, but don't have way to check head space. Appreciate it.

If the local shop is a gunsmith, they ought to have gauges....
might ask them to pull it from the stock as well, just to check for pitting, etc....

The only thing I can say as far as the price is that my sister-in-law paid $1,000+ for one that sounds similar about 5-6 years ago.

Barring some horrible unforeseen problem, I think that's a pretty good deal. I've only got a couple pre-64's, both were purchased on GB. Anything under 1k I consider a decent deal.

The common things that hurt the "collector" value on Model 70's are usually: Refinish (That includes re-blue or re-lacquered stock), extra holes drilled and butt-pads being added. If the rifle is a "straight" Pre-64 Model 70 with none of the above done to it the price is Very fair.

I picked up a Model 70 made in the early 40's for $600 because the shop that had it thought the Lyman Peep-sight was added later. Turns out that was a factory option. I sold the rifle a couple years later for over $2500.00!

Does it still have a metal butt or has it been cut for a recoil pad? Cut stocks hurt reasale value to collectors. Any extra holes also really kill resale.

The factory bluing should be matte on top of the action and gloss everywhere else. That is usually a tell-tell sign that it has been refinished, cause most Reblue jobs polish the entire action.

Never seen a PRE-64 with matte finish on top of action from the factory.

I have 4 pre-'64 Win 70s made from 1937 to 1961 and all have polished blue barrels and matte blue finished actions. The WHOLE action is matte blue, not just the top.

If it's in 90%+ condidtion RUN down there and give the man the $700 he is asking for!