• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody ever try swaging down long range bullets?

HodgdonExtreme

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2014
KHSV
Like the subject says, anyone ever try pushing long range target bullets through some dies to reduce their diameter, and potentially end up with a higher BC, smaller diamer one?

For example, swage a 7mm 162amx down to 6.5mm. I'd think this would make an unbelievable bullet for a cartridge with the cojones to push it.

I understand that it's actually pretty common to do for many of the old oddball calibers whose boresize isn't supported by bullet makers anymore. I also realize .284" to .264" is a big jump, and would require several different dies to accomplish.

Anyway, never heard of it being tried. Anyone done it? Is this just crazy talk?

I went through the James Calhoon shop and saw how 100,000 Nosler 20 cal bullets turn into 100,000 Calhoon 19 cal bullets. Calhoon bullet die with solinoid2.jpg

Like the subject says, anyone ever try pushing long range target bullets through some dies to reduce their diameter, and potentially end up with a higher BC, smaller diamer one?

For example, swage a 7mm 162amx down to 6.5mm. I'd think this would make an unbelievable bullet for a cartridge with the cojones to push it.

I understand that it's actually pretty common to do for many of the old oddball calibers whose boresize isn't supported by bullet makers anymore. I also realize .284" to .264" is a big jump, and would require several different dies to accomplish.

Anyway, never heard of it being tried. Anyone done it? Is this just crazy talk?

The right post at the right time, thanks.

I was just bummed (again) about the lack of high BC bullets in .277 caliber. I think I'll squeeze some 7mm bullets down and see where that goes.

FWIW, I have a few hundred .308 caliber FMJBT bullets that are 7.62x54r pull downs (.310-.312 originally). They group about 5-6 MOA. No decimal point. It appears that the boat-tail was deformed when they were resized. I don't know who did the resizing operation. They're blaster fodder now.

That said, I have uniformed .50BMG pull downs with a .510" resizer die (many were up to .01" out of round after being pulled) that shot 2-3 MOA (about normal for those bullets).