• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody road bike?

I’m not ready for the electric bikes yet. I’m back in decent shape even though I’m a little heavy. I walk nearly every day and jog a little too. It’s winter here and it sucks riding in 30 degree weather. I’m going to ride when the weather gets 50 degrees and walk when colder.
My cardiologist told me to avoid 8 hour rides like I used to but keep my rides to 1-1.5 hours at a decent pace. I told him I hold several Strava segment records. He suggested I not defend them.
When I spent all that time this fall hunting at or around 12k I think I’ll be okay.
I need protection from myself ?

Reactions: canman
What do you guys do during winter? I’m in central Washington. I tried using a trainer and the bikes at the gym and they just suck. I stare at my bike everyday collecting dust....

Winnie I’m the same way however I grind it out. I figure if I can get through December and January I’m on the home stretch. February is terrible here but March is good to go.
When I’m on a trainer I look at it one way....how do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time or in this case ‘day’.

Winnie, welcome to the club, "stationary bike" is an oxymoron. LOL, however during the work week (I get home late) I use a magnetic bike trainer, the fluid trainers are also nice,
Plus:
You use your own bike, gears, pedals seat
Your bike is set to your ergo
Train on your own time
Folds out of the way.
Heart monitor is nice but not needed
Trainer can be used as a quasi bike stand when making adjustments, repairs

Minus
Easy to overheat, use a fan
Boring. I do intervals while watching shows on a tablet Do not answer your phone. You will sound like a sex predator.

What do you guys do during winter? I’m in central Washington. I tried using a trainer and the bikes at the gym and they just suck. I stare at my bike everyday collecting dust....
Since im more of a commuter and not a racer...i just put on rain gear and bread bags over my feet then insert into shoes and go.

During the week ride indoor on a Lemond spin bike using the TrainerRoad program with Garmin Vector 3 pedals. Program is progressive and based on maintaining target watt levels. Years ago when I was racing trained indoors on Kreitler rollers using the Reoch-Zonneveld program. TrainerRoad is very similar. I'll ride outdoors on the weekends if the temp is 30 degrees or above. Key to winter riding is having the right gear. I have been using Assos winter gear for many years now and have found nothing better.

I had a road bike built for me based on the concept of it being more of an all around bike, and not a super low, twitchy racing bike. I asked the maker to make the geometry more upright (more relaxed angles, higher handlebar stem, and longer frame), and to make the forks as wide as possible to allow the widest tires that would fit inside the brake arms (about 32mm). So, it rides very soft with those relatively wide tires with lower air pressure, and it allows me to ride some gravel and leaf covered trails. If you wanted to go with disc brakes or cantilever brakes, you could go with much wider (and much softer and more comfortable tires). My plan was to ride after work and on weekends, since I am in the mid-Atlantic, and can ride most of the year. Unfortunately, I got injured on the job a few years ago, and am just getting back to working out (of course immediately pulled a ham string). For winter workouts, I am a member of the Sufferfest, which is an online training program that you can watch on your TV or computer or other device. They have a variety of workouts, but most are pretty intense intervals. Riding is great, as you can do it at almost any age.

I've been riding just about every other day in the winter. I don't ride when there is snow on the sides of the road but that only cancelled about thee rides so far. Being new to riding (I just passed 2000 miles) I find the cold way more challenging. Even without an appreciable wind it feels like it because the air is tougher to cut through "denser" . Then there is the wind...that's a trip riding in a a strong COLD wind. I'm looking forward to the warm weather but I think as far as fitness goes riding in the cold definitely improves your strength and fitness.

It's funny. Here is northern Virginia, you don't notice that the roads are not completely flat, for the most part. And then, you start cycling or running, and it seems that all the damn roads are uphill, no matter where or which direction you go!

That's right. I find the long gradual climbs more challenging then the quick steep climbs. Seems like those you just get off the saddle down shift and climb. The long ones go on forever, and burn like hell.

I road bike about 2,000 miles a year. Not that big of an accomplishment except I can only ride around 20 miles a day due to knee and back injuries. Not that many days except I live in the Montana mountains with 7 months of winter. Love to road bike and now that I write this... maybe I should move to someplace warmer.

Between road and mtb I do 5500-6500 miles a year and around 100-120K ft of climbing. A few local races and events, but lately hunting has been taking up much of my time. Time to hit it hard soon as work slows down.

I am not much of a roadie, I ride and race mountain bikes (mainly single speed endurance events) but I do train on the road some. Here is my “road bike” ?

Iron Horse is this weekend and leaving for Durango on Thursday. Been snowing at higher elevations and going to be colder than usual. Ride director sent out an email stating we should bring winter riding gear. Training has gone pretty well and pretty much fully recovered from breaking my femur last May. While laying in the hospital recovering from surgery I set my recovery goal as riding Iron Horse again and hope I make over the passes.

I’ve been trying to ride again but i keep getting sore/tired. I’ve been doing a lot of squats/deadlifts for my other lifestyle:/

Watch your nutrition both before, during, and after a ride. I know if my nutrition was right the day, or even sometimes a few hours later after a big event. If Im sore, tired, or just completely smashed (even after a 12 or 24 hour solo race) then my nutrition was off. Paying attention to how fast I bounce back has help me fine tune my nutrition strategy.

Iron Horse is this weekend and leaving for Durango on Thursday. Been snowing at higher elevations and going to be colder than usual. Ride director sent out an email stating we should bring winter riding gear. Training has gone pretty well and pretty much fully recovered from breaking my femur last May. While laying in the hospital recovering from surgery I set my recovery goal as riding Iron Horse again and hope I make over the passes.

Best wishes on the ride! (I hate saying good luck because it implies you need luck to do well). That is a tough one to bounce back from. Keep us posted.

Few of my bikes. Mainly just ride my XC and crosser these days. Road bike just sits on the trainer in the garage for when the weather is too shitty to ride outside.
Gotta burn off the beer calories one way or another...

Attachments

• 20190324_190621.jpg
    20190324_190621.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20140513_095358.jpg
    20140513_095358.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20150124_143039.jpg
    20150124_143039.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 69
I am a fan of Ibis, I always have been. I have the black brother to yours. I also have I9's on mine and the 40C G One's. My wheels are 25mm internal I think and at 45 psi the G One rides GREAT! I just finished up a fast group ride and was spit out the back HARD! The Hakka is not exactly speedy on the tarmac, but damn it is nice on the dirt roads! People on road group rides always look at me funny with the Hakka set up for dirt, my mountain bike shoes and pedals, mountain bike helmet but I don't care at all.

I am racing the Mount Washington Hill Climb on the Hakka this summer, Ill probably put some better tires on it before but that is it. It should be a tough 7.6 miles...

http://www.mwarbh.org/

I am a fan of Ibis, I always have been. I have the black brother to yours. I also have I9's on mine and the 40C G One's. My wheels are 25mm internal I think and at 45 psi the G One rides GREAT! I just finished up a fast group ride and was spit out the back HARD! The Hakka is not exactly speedy on the tarmac, but damn it is nice on the dirt roads! People on road group rides always look at me funny with the Hakka set up for dirt, my mountain bike shoes and pedals, mountain bike helmet but I don't care at all.

I am racing the Mount Washington Hill Climb on the Hakka this summer, Ill probably put some better tires on it before but that is it. It should be a tough 7.6 miles...

http://www.mwarbh.org/
Very cool! Ya, tough hanging on a power ride on a crosser but makes you strong for sure and crushes hearts of dudes on road bikes.
This is my first set of G-ones, I'm really digging them and surprisingly hook up pretty decent on trails for what they are. Obviously wouldnt jump in a CX race on them, but definitely much faster rolling than MXP's and a great for all around.
Heard great things about the MT Wash HC, good luck bro, hope you enjoy it!
Too many hobbies, not enough time

Awesome man! I love titanium frames, I haven not been on a Merlin but I know those that ride them love em. I have always wanted a Moots (mountain bike).

Great bike. I bought a Spectrum from Tom Kellogg, in steel. Thought about the titanium, and I know he used to do frame design work for Merlin, but in the end, I really wanted a classic steel road bike. Glad I did, as it is a beautiful bike, and I saw that he is retiring at the end of the year.

Awesome man! I love titanium frames, I haven not been on a Merlin but I know those that ride them love em. I have always wanted a Moots (mountain bike).
Nothing better than a Moots. Got to crash in their condo above the shop a few back for a ski trip and tour the facility, what a trip.
See my uncle if you're in the market for one, Evolution Pro Bike Shop. He'll get you hooked up.
MTB ride yesterday in Lakewood, CO. Trails still pretty muddy here.

Attachments

• 20190524_145436.jpg
    20190524_145436.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: jbell

Bought the frame in 1995 from Excel Sports in Boulder and is an original Merlin Road frame built in Cambridge, MA. Designed by Kellog and made with aerospace grade titanium. The bike is on its 4th set of components and just keep upgrading. Though about buying a new bike at times but just haven't found anything that rides or fits as well.

Very cool! I have been through a few nice custom mountain Ti frames from small shops and they all ride so nice! One frame I cracked 3 times.

Reactions: wilson3899
Next Tuesday will be my one year anniversary learning to ride. I'll have just over 3900 miles. Saturday is my first big event. It's a 100 Km. charity ride. I've been doing small group rides of less then 10 people so this will be a real learning experience. My best ride ave. so far is 15.9 mph so I'll probably learn how to get passed a lot but it's all learning at this stage. At the end of the season or when Bianchi makes the new Sprint available in North America I'm gonna get a real bike.

I’m going to do some laps (planning on at least 2 but would like to get 3) up this climb this coming Sunday (8/4/19):

In preparation for this on 8/17/19:

Canman: That is some serious mileage for your first year of riding and good job. Have fun on your metric and don't worry how fast other people are going. Be careful in groups you are not familiar with and they appear dangerous drop off. I lost count of times I saw people hit the pavement in event rides in the many years I have been riding. In event rides I will only ride with people I know otherwise ride solo.

Mt Washington was fun!

I was a little disappointed with my pacing. I could have pushed harder the 1st 1/2 of the climb. But I really had no idea how I should pace it going in blind. I never got on the struggle bus where I probably should have at least at some point. You just never really know when you cross that line and can’t recover from. At mile 5 the fog was so thick you could only see about 30-50 feet with 25-30 mph head wind which made pacing difficult.

But definitely a bitch of a hill...

99B33359-58E8-4A19-BB73-8B54FCDBE1D5.jpeg

I parked next to this guy, I hope he is fast...

A1040415-A43F-46B6-91F7-55BFEA47DB49.jpeg

Me crashing doing a criterium in the Red Zinger Mini Classic. Circa 1981. I was 12. Those are new Audis in the background. I was trying to pass 1st place on the inside of a turn and my front tire caught up in his rear and I went over the bars and bent the front rim so I was unable to finish.

My specialty was hill climbs.

We did a shortened version of the Boulder area courses from the Red Zinger Classic/Coors Classic. As seen in American Flyers but known as Hell of the West. Including The Wall.

FYI, early Pro-Tac helmet and my mom's Motobecane.

The Pro-Tec had ear protection and a rider ran over my head/ear.

IMG_0324.jpeg

Mt Washington was fun!

I was a little disappointed with my pacing. I could have pushed harder the 1st 1/2 of the climb. But I really had no idea how I should pace it going in blind. I never got on the struggle bus where I probably should have at least at some point. You just never really know when you cross that line and can’t recover from. At mile 5 the fog was so thick you could only see about 30-50 feet with 25-30 mph head wind which made pacing difficult.

But definitely a bitch of a hill...

View attachment 7132790

I parked next to this guy, I hope he is fast...

View attachment 7132791
Jbell:

Average 12% grade over that distance is a killer and that is a strong average power for that amount of time. What gearing were you using? Awesome ride.

Me crashing doing a criterium in the Red Zinger Mini Classic. Circa 1981. I was 12. Those are new Audis in the background. I was trying to pass 1st place on the inside of a turn and my front tire caught up in his rear and I went over the bars and bent the front rim so I was unable to finish.

My specialty was hill climbs.

We did a shortened version of the Boulder area courses from the Red Zinger Classic/Coors Classic. As seen in American Flyers but known as Hell of the West. Including The Wall.

FYI, early Pro-Tac helmet and my mom's Motobecane.

The Pro-Tec had ear protection and a rider ran over my head/ear.

View attachment 7132851
My specialty was sprinting and so used to race mostly crits which are always dangerous. Wife made me quit after a crash and I reluctantly agreed while scrubbing gravel and grit out of my road rash.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Jbell:

Average 12% grade over that distance is a killer and that is a strong average power for that amount of time. What gearing were you using? Awesome ride.

Thank you, I was riding my Hakka MX which is set up as a 1X11 and has a 40t ring up front with an E13 TRS Race cassette out back 9-46. I spent the majority of my time in the 40-46 (mainly because I was trying to not blow up, I now feel that was a mistake) with some time 40-39 (the gear I should have spent most of the time in), and dropped into the 40-33 & 40-28 from time to time.

Gear spacing was a huge detriment for me in this race, I should have a tighter spaced cassette for all of my road riding (especially this hill climb) & my trainer work. But I guess I am just too stubborn and stuck in my ways of loving my single speed to change.

Mt Washington was fun!

Well, you're about the first person that I've ever heard who has regretted *not* blowing up in the first half of a big effort. Once that hole is dug, it's tough to dig back out. As for me, I've got big legs and small lungs, so it's really easy to blow up early and then regret that decision for the remainder of the ride. Damn fine effort, BTW!

Nice to see a fellow Hakka MX rider. I picked up mine about 18 months ago, and since then, it's received the bulk of my non-MTB miles.

Thank you, I was riding my Hakka MX which is set up as a 1X11 and has a 40t ring up front with an E13 TRS Race cassette out back 9-46. I spent the majority of my time in the 40-46 (mainly because I was trying to not blow up, I now feel that was a mistake) with some time 40-39 (the gear I should have spent most of the time in), and dropped into the 40-33 & 40-28 from time to time.

Gear spacing was a huge detriment for me in this race, I should have a tighter spaced cassette for all of my road riding (especially this hill climb) & my trainer work. But I guess I am just too stubborn and stuck in my ways of loving my single speed to change.

I agree about having the proper spacing. Big changes in gear inches really impact your cadence and make it difficult to maintain a good rhythm on climbs. I have multiple sets of wheels for my Merlin with different size cassettes on each. Change out wheels depending on the terrain. On the flats I love a 11-21 and a 12-28 when long climbs are planned. My strong suit has always been sprinting and short power climbs and just have to pace myself on long climbs but always enjoyed the challenge of them.

Well, you're about the first person that I've ever heard who has regretted *not* blowing up in the first half of a big effort. Once that hole is dug, it's tough to dig back out. As for me, I've got big legs and small lungs, so it's really easy to blow up early and then regret that decision for the remainder of the ride. Damn fine effort, BTW!

Nice to see a fellow Hakka MX rider. I picked up mine about 18 months ago, and since then, it's received the bulk of my non-MTB miles.

Oh I’m not complaining about not blowing up, HA! I’m just saying based on how I felt at the end I should / could have pushed a bit more.

I am really enjoying the Hakka, it is a pleasure to ride. I want to start doing some endurance gravel events on it.

Oh I’m not complaining about not blowing up, HA! I’m just saying based on how I felt at the end I should / could have pushed a bit more.

I am really enjoying the Hakka, it is a pleasure to ride. I want to start doing some endurance gravel events on it.

Yeah, it's never fun to finish with something left in the tank. That's why I always try to blow up as soon as possible, spend the middle portion of the race trying to recover, and then make a final futile attempt to grab back some lost ground before the finish. In 25 years of riding, this has yet to work, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time ;)

I've done a few longer (100-mile) gravel events, and the Hakka worked beautifully. I did switch from the Thunder Burts to WTB Byways for this season, and they roll a bit faster in typical local conditions without giving up any comfort. If I did more "real" off-roading, I'd have stuck with the stock tires, but I usually grab a mountain bike if there's much in the way of trail riding.

Raced road (and some mountain) through most of the 90's. And worked in bike shops during that time as well. I had seven different bikes at one point. Like having an alcoholic working in a liquor store! Maxed out seven credit cards fast. :p

Now, I just have one. 2011 Giant TCR Advanced, with integrated seat post, full SRAM Red, and a few small tweaks. Even in my bike size, L, it only weighs about 14.7 lbs ......... yes, I'm a weight weenie.

@jbell on the blur what 34 do you have 120mm? I own one as well but ride in South Fl so its more then enough with a 32 just wondering how it feels.

@jbell on the blur what 34 do you have 120mm? I own one as well but ride in South Fl so its more then enough with a 32 just wondering how it feels.

I have a Fox 34 Step Cast Factory on it. I have the 32SC as well and have used both but I much prefer the 34sc. Same with my Pivot Les single speed and I have another sitting here that is going on a new Santa Cruz High Ball that I am building. I guess you can say I like the 34SC. HA!

I just raced the bike leg of a local Triathlon with some friends for fun. I road my gravel bike with 35C tires. We had a pretty good day coming in 3rd but we could have easily had 2nd (missed it by less than a minute) if I was on a proper road bike and maybe even 1st I was on a TT bike. It was a damn hard effort to hold a 20.6 MPH average speed on that bike with no drafting on a rolling 24 mile course, my normal training rides are between 18.5 mph and 19.6 mph average. I was definitely out of my element in such a short race but I had an average power of 260 watts and a normalized of 278 watts, not too bad for someone who trains for endurance races.

Head down trying to find some speed:

E4FE4BEB-0E1A-4018-AA03-55A2A80998BA.jpeg

B59FE2CA-5680-49CB-9EAB-A919B9DFCA47.jpeg
4E46EE5D-F55C-4AE4-A186-A0E545AA45C0.jpeg

75207ABA-6536-4E6A-AB35-21C18122ABA6.jpeg

This is my fleet kinda can’t stay away from matte black, my highball is a 27.5 it’s my training bike do most of my riding on it to be honest hardtails is where you learn the most on a bike so I try to stay on it as much as possible, the road bike is a Wilier Cento1Sr try to do at least 2 rides of 40 miles a week averaging 24+ (Group ride) keeps the heart nice and strong (you can tell I like taking pictures with bikes on my rack)

Last edited: