• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anybody tried the new Jeep Gladiator?

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    When I cut timber in Montana I had a 67 Jeep Gladiator Pick Up. It was a beast. Put it in Low range granny gear and it would pull the stink off of shit and wreck your kidney's doing it. I wish I hadnt let go of it. Photo of the old ones first the n the new.

The model I had:

1623894826517.png

The new one.

1623894616024.png

It's a Fiat.
    What else do you need to know?
    That pretty much sums it up.

I had one Fiat, bought it used up. In 6 months I replaced every mechanical item on the car, engind, transmission, lots of other stuff, then total lossed it in a fog. Never again.

I test drove one. It was roomier than my TJ and decently peppy. Way too plush for my tastes (at the time). For a Jeep, I'd rather have an Unlimited for the interior room. Happier with my F250 though.

I like the size. Would work in my lives in an urban area likes to get away lifestyle.

I miss having a truck since selling my 2000 Ranger FX4 Loaded.

That Ranger was a fun truck.

New Rangers seem to me to be bigger though stats say they are not.

Gladiator to me looks "old" Ranger sized.

I could fit the family in it and find parking in town or I could let some air out of the tires and roll down the beach.

Im interested but every Jeep badged product I have ever been in smells like oil on the manifold.

Test drove one. Couldn't get over the lack of HP. Call me when they put the 392 hemi motor in it. (They put it in the Wrangler, so many just a waiting game)

When I cut timber in Montana I had a 67 Jeep Gladiator Pick Up. It was a beast. Put it in Low range granny gear and it would pull the stink off of shit and wreck your kidney's doing it. I wish I hadnt let go of it. Photo of the old ones first the n the new.

The model I had:

View attachment 7648876

The new one.

View attachment 7648874
    No way you have missed Roostercogburn98's postings. He post about his upgrades ALL the time!

@roostercogburn98

I find the gladiator is a posh, urbanite vehicle for the most part. It can be made into a decent truck, but that will cost you a lot for the aftermarket parts. Every wonder why folks buy these Jeep products and then HAVE to spend thousands more on aftermarket parts in order for the vehicle to do what they wanted it to do?

If Jeeps were all that, you'd go to the dealer, pay for your Jeep and head out immediately for the trails.

Reactions: DRandi
    It’s a FIAT for sure. I owned a 2020 Rubicon for about a year. It was at the dealership multiple times in that year for different sensors going out. The last straw for me was the rear locker sensor. They is/was an issue when you towed anything on the heavier side, the rear locker sensor would fail. Some dumbass engineer designed the sensor as part of the locker. FIAT couldn’t figure out how to fix it, so they started replacing the entire rear axle. At the time the dealer could only order (if I remember correctly) 2 per month. I was number 12 in line at my dealership. Some company came up with a plug in bypass that corrected the problem and sold them for about $200. Steering was shit. Steering gearbox was made of aluminum. Those failed and FIAT started replacing those with steel, but again only a couple per month. I think it was tow rated at ~8k#. It wouldn’t pull my 3k# camper on fiat ground.
    The new diesel ones might be better, but I wouldn’t pay what they’re asking for one.

I find the gladiator is a posh, urbanite vehicle for the most part. It can be made into a decent truck, but that will cost you a lot for the aftermarket parts. Every wonder why folks buy these Jeep products and then HAVE to spend thousands more on aftermarket parts in order for the vehicle to do what they wanted it to do?

If Jeeps were all that, you'd go to the dealer, pay for your Jeep and head out immediately for the trails.
    There’s a dealership by me that has them ready to go like that. But…. Get ready to spend $ 75k.

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate
    I sure see a lot of people that jumped on them early getting rid of them.

I have no idea why they don’t do a single cab, rubicon drive train, eco diesel, stripped interior version. You’d actually get a usable bed, would probably shed 500 pounds and a regular dude could stand a chance affording one.

Don't have one don't want one, but generally speaking when you make something that "does it all" it will be half-assed at everything and excellent at none.

Reactions: Maggot
    Maybe out west it's different but around here they are one of the douchemobiles of choice.
    Same here, add in Karen's LandRover that only goes to the supermarket and to pick up the kids.

It’s a FIAT for sure. I owned a 2020 Rubicon for about a year. It was at the dealership multiple times in that year for different sensors going out. The last straw for me was the rear locker sensor. They is/was an issue when you towed anything on the heavier side, the rear locker sensor would fail. Some dumbass engineer designed the sensor as part of the locker. FIAT couldn’t figure out how to fix it, so they started replacing the entire rear axle. At the time the dealer could only order (if I remember correctly) 2 per month. I was number 12 in line at my dealership. Some company came up with a plug in bypass that corrected the problem and sold them for about $200. Steering was shit. Steering gearbox was made of aluminum. Those failed and FIAT started replacing those with steel, but again only a couple per month. I think it was tow rated at ~8k#. It wouldn’t pull my 3k# camper on fiat ground.
    The new diesel ones might be better, but I wouldn’t pay what they’re asking for one.
    The tow rating on the Rubicon- with max tow package- is 3500 lbs...

LOL

I could tow that much with my old Chrysler Pacifica and a Chevy Colorado can tow twice that.

I didn’t buy a Jeep to go places I can go in my Silverado. The Chevy tows more and better, hauls more, and has a smoother ride. I didn’t buy a Jeep to go places that I can go in my Wife’s Subaru Ascent. The AWD is very capable in that vehicle, the interior is more spacious, and it has more creature comforts- but it is not meant for “off road use.” I didn’t buy a Jeep to drive fast. I bought a Jeep to throw the top down, pop the doors off, and drive. I cannot do that in either of the above. Add in lockers, a lift, and some bigger tires (all of which would be required for any rig for moderate to serious ‘wheeling’) and you have one of the most capable rigs on or off the road. That you CAN replace every part on a wrangler with aftermarket parts does not mean you must or even should. Sure, you can go whole hog with D60 axles, a hemi swap, up armor all around, a huge lift and huger tires, and whatever you desire. But, it’s is not necessary. Oh, and the Gladiator looks like ass in stock configuration.

I have one, as I pretty much trashed the inside of my JKUR hauling gravel and cement. I have an 05 Sierra 1500wt, but it's days are numbered.
    Gladiator is thirsty, but rides nice on the Falkens. I bought a new 2dr Rubicon softtop, it's a little rocket.

In the JL yes. Rubicon’s in the JT came with 4.10 from the factory.

Sport & Sport S​

Manual Transmission - 4,000 pounds
    Automatic Transmission: 4,500 pounds
    Automatic Transmission (with Max Tow): 7,650 pounds

Overland​

Manual Transmission: 4,000 pounds
    Automatic Transmission: 6,000 pounds

Mojave​

Manual Transmission: 4,500 pounds
    Automatic Transmission: 6,000 pounds

Rubicon​

Manual Transmission: 4,500 pounds
    Automatic Transmission: 7,000 pounds

Reactions: seansmd
    Appearances are deceiving. The Gladiator's wheelbase is 3" longer than than a Chevy Suburban. So it seems a bit odd to suggest it for urban use.

Obviously my ability to judge vehicle size is a mess.

I must be using MOA.

I will keep my wrangler

Was not a fan of the 2 Gladiators I drove but then again, I am not in need of a pickup.

Still driving my 2007 Rubicon 2 door with 6 speed manual.
    Just had clutch replaced at 101,000, the throwout bearing started sqealing and howling although the clutch still had life in it replaced as well.
    I like the look of the Gladiator but also believe they are way over priced and to posh inside.
    Hell my jeep doesnt even have bluetooth on the radio, very plain and simple interior, rear seat and carpet removed.
    20200515_201450.jpg

I really want to like them more then I do. If they would offer a stripped down version like the wrangler use to. I liked my 23c optioned wrangler.

With that rear axle shoved up towards the cab so far, panic stops would have to be a shit show with 7K behind it. Noooo thank you....